Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A total lack of understanding of offense...Wildwest & Scrambled Eggs  (Read 2366 times)

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see many conventional offensive sets with a team that now has more of a traditional line-up. I also see no offensive identity.

The problems on offense are a heck of a lot more than just needing to find a go to guy.

I see a lot of players out of position on offense, poor spacing, no paint touches and/or kick outs, limited passes from the wing into the post (when the ball should have been pounded down there), no ball rotation, and only 1 big posting up in or near the paint.

Frankly, I think there are players that don't understand theirs offensive roles and as a result it never allows Marquette to execute an offensive strategy.

Most of all it is the guard play. I see poor leadership from the point guard in establishing the offensive sets and getting players into proper position and I see our starting #2 being overmatched offensively. As a result, the #3 never benefits from those two positions like he should.  

Also, when Devante is not in the game with O'tule, I almost never see the #4 in the blocks our near the hoop. I'm not saying the #4 always has to be there because the game has changed, but that is where part of the confusion lies. The team starts the game with what looks like contemporary offensive sets. Then, with only 2:00 minutes gone in the game, Devante comes in and the offense becomes more traditional. Add that up with poor leadership from the point and an overmatched #2 and you have not only a team with a lack of identity on offense, but right now its kind of wild-wild west a.k.a. scrambled eggs.

The point guard needs to get his teammates to understand what they are doing on offense based on the personnel in the game. Then, he needs to demand the acquiescence of his teammates in running the appropriate sets and strategy. That would be a huge improvement.

So, this problem on offense needs to be corrected at the point first. More leadership.

Next, the current starting #2 should not be starting. He is a role player. A player who can stretch the other teams defense when needed.

Then its the basics that are needed. Spacing, ball rotation, paint touches, hitting the post, etc.

Finally, understanding the offensive strategy at the given moment by the entire team will do wonders.

We don't need a "go to guy" we need a leader.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:00:04 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

GGGG

• All American
Re: A total lack of understanding of offense...Wildwest & Scrambled Eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
Jamil...Jake...and Todd.  Considered our best outside shooters.

Combined 4-31.  Plenty of attempts were open and taken with rhythm.  If you don't have shooters that defense can respect, they will pack it in. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »
Seems like our only play is with Davante.  Wait for him to back down, spin, and either score or get fouled.  There isn't much positive ball movement.  We swing it around the perimeter until we end up forcing a shot or feeding Gardner down low.  And yes, of course it starts with the point guard.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
Jamil...Jake...and Todd.  Considered our best outside shooters.

Combined 4-31.  Plenty of attempts were open and taken with rhythm.  If you don't have shooters that defense can respect, they will pack it in.  

You're right. But why do you think that is? I don't think I saw an outside shot from the weak side after ball rotation the entire game by Marquette. I saw it just a few times from Ohio State. Most, if not all of the "rhythm shots" you refer to, were taken off the dribble, or a single pass from the wing (not a kick-out). If Marquette's shots were not challenged, there was still a defender within close proximity of the shot. At minimum today, we needed an inside out mentality. That is, pound the ball to O'tule and Gardner until the defense sags and then Todd, Jamil, and Jake could take their shots. If the defense comes back out to the perimeter, pound it back in. I know you know this. But what was lacking, was the establishment of an identity. That is, establish something first....which should have been pounding the ball inside from the beginning. Devante should be starting and so should O'tule. Thomas needs to be a role player, which he may be well suited for.

I would put Mayo at the #2, Wilson at the #3, Devante at the #4, Otule at the 5, and the appropriate Wilson at the point when the other is healthy. Who that is depends on leadership.

I know Buzz needs to be careful with the two big men not getting in foul trouble or tired and that is why Devante sits first right now, but at least that line-up above could get you some easy buckets to start the game, help establish an identity, presence, and some confidence, some flow and rhythm, and then you could take one of the big men out and do the "switchables" thing for awhile with one big. Just my thoughts right now and I'm no expert.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:03:46 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
Actually those are very solid thoughts and good observations.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
IIRC, Buzz mentioned in the last week or so that he hasn't installed his offense yet.   It showed.   I wonder if that is the reason that he didn't play the freshmen.   The upperclassmen remember the offense.     The freshmen haven't seen it all yet.   This did indeed remind me of the Florida game last year in a number of ways.
1.  Jamil disappeared. 
2.  Early in the year and the guards struggled against pressure to get the ball to the bigs in an advantageous position.
3.  Even when MU got exactly what it wanted, it didn't go in. 
4.  Noboby looked like they wanted to be the man.    Except Todd.   And he was the most snakebit of all.   But he kept trying.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
We might or might not need leadership from the PG. That's an intangible that isn't easy to quantify.

What we definitely need from our PG is offensive ability. Doesn't have to be Magic Johnson or Chris Paul, but does have to be a guy who occasionally can hit a wide-open -- nobody within 10 feet of him -- jumper, a guy who can get in the lane and create for himself and others, a guy who can finish around the basket, a guy who can shoot better than 40% from the FT line. Oh, a guy who can inbound the ball would be nice, too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:23:49 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
We might or might not need leadership from the PG. That's an intangible that isn't easy to quantify.

What we definitely need from our PG is offensive ability. Doesn't have to be Magic Johnson or Chris Paul, but does have to be a guy who occasionally can hit a wide-open -- nobody within 10 feet of him -- jumper, a guy who can get in the lane and create for himself and other, a guy who can finish around the basket, a guy who can shoot better than 40% from the FT line. Oh, a guy who can inbound the ball would be nice, too.

We're just in a rough position because Wilson isn't that guy.  And Cadougan had a couple of guards to play behind and slowly improve his game.  I don't see Derrick being anywhere near what Cadougan was for us the last couple years.  Going to be rough some games as our young guards develop.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
We're just in a rough position because Wilson isn't that guy.  And Cadougan had a couple of guards to play behind and slowly improve his game.  I don't see Derrick being anywhere near what Cadougan was for us the last couple years.  Going to be rough some games as our young guards develop.

Agreed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
Funny how opinions change! Not saying you...but I remember Cadougan's Junior year and people ripping him apart for his play. In reality, he was a nice little point guard. I actually have faith in D. Wilson!  Ha!

Really, I have faith in Derrick Wilson and I think he can be a fine point guard, the way Mandy Johnson was. Not a great scorer, just a solid leader who ran the team well. He has that potential.

Now, Duane's potential is off the charts and he could actually turn out to be something Marquette hasn't seen the likes of since Sam Worthen, Doc Rivers or dare I say....."The Dream".  If/when he reaches that potential is up to him.

To be clear...Nobody in MU history has ever been close to "The Dream" at the point save for Alfred Lee.  ;) :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:26:30 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
IIRC, Buzz mentioned in the last week or so that he hasn't installed his offense yet.   It showed.   I wonder if that is the reason that he didn't play the freshmen.   The upperclassmen remember the offense.     The freshmen haven't seen it all yet.   This did indeed remind me of the Florida game last year in a number of ways.
1.  Jamil disappeared. 
2.  Early in the year and the guards struggled against pressure to get the ball to the bigs in an advantageous position.
3.  Even when MU got exactly what it wanted, it didn't go in. 
4.  Noboby looked like they wanted to be the man.    Except Todd.   And he was the most snakebit of all.   But he kept trying.
Jamil disappears a lot--unlike a 5th year senior.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
Jamil has always had that rep.   Sometimes it looks like he has shaken it.   But he does not have the Crowder/Butler/Lazar eye-of-the-warrior yet.   Too nice.   Too deferential.   I was hoping that the couple of possessions at the point would force him to attack.   Didn't happen. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
Actually those are very solid thoughts and good observations.

Thanks.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
Funny how opinions change! Not saying you...but I remember Cadougan's Junior year and people ripping him apart for his play. In reality, he was a nice little point guard. I actually have faith in D. Wilson!  Ha!

Really, I have faith in Derrick Wilson and I think he can be a fine point guard, the way Mandy Johnson was. Not a great scorer, just a solid leader who ran the team well. He has that potential.

Now, Duane's potential is off the charts and he could actually turn out to be something Marquette hasn't seen the likes of since Sam Worthen, Doc Rivers or dare I say....."The Dream".  If/when he reaches that potential is up to him.

To be clear...Nobody in MU history has ever been close to "The Dream" at the point save for Alfred Lee.  ;) :D

Cadougan took a little while to develop offensively, but by the time he was a Junior he was somewhat of a threat when putting the ball on the floor.  His mid-range game wasn't really existent until senior year.  Junior was never a shooter, but just enough so he at least kept his defender home (even as a Junior).  Not only that but a pretty darn good playmaker.  

I suppose all this is easier to say in retrospect.  Agreed on Duane's potential.  That's why I am so upset about his injury.  Elite athlete, great facilitator, statistically a great outside shooter and a competitor.  I have high hopes for him but they seem reasonable.

feedback