Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Why didn't Buzz make any substitutions (eg freshmen)?

Being stubborn/loyal to seniors
59 (35.3%)
Testing his starters (see who steps up)
60 (35.9%)
None of the above
48 (28.7%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: What was Buzz doing?  (Read 15550 times)

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: What was Buzz doing?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
Oh,  cool thread.  A bunch of anonymous/know-it-all internet a**holes
on Twitter have chimed in with astute analysis.

GROUNDBREAKING.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/B3zxDZDJGWY&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/B3zxDZDJGWY&amp;source=uds</a>

Edited:  The above clip also reflects my opinion of the poll.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 06:55:50 AM »
I don't think Buzz did anything wrong in this game.  He was looking for his Veterans to demonstrate leadership and fortitude in a tough game.  Mayo tried to step up, but didn't do it within the offense.  Gardner did OK, but there needs to be a better strategy to get the defense to release the double teams.  (making shots would be one good strategy).  Nobody else stepped up. 

Everyone played good D, except during the stretch when OSU started running early in the 2nd half.

Actually, had MU shot 38% they would have won. 

So, what should buzz learn form this?
- The game is too fast for Derrick - every time he sped up even a little, he created a turnover
- Derrick cannot be the inbounder.  He's too small, and he thinks too slow.
- More/varied sets to get the ball inside to DG
- Jamil is not a leader.  Everyone would like it if he were.  Juan brings more energy.  Probably need to start Juan again.
- Keep Mayo coming off the bench to speed up the offense until he gets more disciplined
- Get Jake a couple screens
- Change the game by speeding up the game for 1-2 minute stretches of 'small ball" with Mayo, Jamil, Juan, Dawson, and Taylor or Burton.  Press during this period.
- Actually, with Derrick out, they could run a lot even with Otoule or Gardner in.
- Taylor is a rebounding stud. 
- The defense is good
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 07:00:24 AM »
There is no way Thomas will continue to get the minutes he has seen early-on throughout the season.
The question should be: Why has he been getting them?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

connie

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 07:49:21 AM »
My question as well.  I know there is a reason, but I 'm not smart enough to figure it out.  That performance was pure pain.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:03 AM »
Buzz doesn't shoot the ball.  The team took a lot of good shots and they just didn't fall.  A couple of  shots go in, it opens up the middle for Devante.  A team shoots 19%, it is an anomaly.  Move on to the next game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
Buzz doesn't shoot the ball.  The team took a lot of good shots and they just didn't fall.  A couple of  shots go in, it opens up the middle for Devante.  A team shoots 19%, it is an anomaly.  Move on to the next game.

I'd be with you on the anomaly diagnosis except for two things:

1. We shot 36% against mighty Southern. We are shooting 20% from 3-point range and 63% from the FT line this season. It's early, but these are signs that this is not a naturally gifted shooting team.

2. Aside from Jamil, we have nobody with any history of being a good perimeter shooter. And please don't say Mayo; look at the stats even from his "good" freshman year. Guys DO improve, as Vander certainly did with his midrange shooting, but none of us has any reason to expect that from the likes of Derrick and Jake. Mainly, we can only hope the freshmen will be fairly major contributors by the time the conference season gets in full swing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »
So if Dawson and Johnson came in and got embarrassed, that would have been good for them? There's no merit to building confidence, it's always automatically better to throw an inexperienced kid into a situation where they are certain to fail? Maybe there's a method to Buzz's madness.

Brew, I get what you're saying here but ...

Do you really think it would have scarred the freshmen for life if Buzz threw them in for a couple of minutes here or there, even in garbage time late? If so, what does that say about the mental toughness of Buzz's heralded recruits?

This game just begged for a change-for-the-sake-of-change move or two. I'd love to hear Buzz candidly address his reasons for not doing that, but I'm guessing such candor isn't forthcoming. As honest as Buzz usually is, he doesn't tell us everything.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:50 AM »
Don't expect much of anything from Duane this year.  Dawson is the better option right now.
Another mindless prediction concerning Duane.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
I have very high expectations for Duane this year. We need him back and playing ASAP. He is our best PG by wide margin and freshman or not he needs to play big minutes ASAP. I do not buy into freshman do not play idea. Our freshmen guards are best option moving ahead and they need to play.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:59:37 AM by Goose »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
Another mindless prediction concerning Duane.

It's not mindless.  I have my reasons.

One would think we would collectively learn from our annual hyping of freshmen than they oftentimes don't turn out like we expect them to...but I guess we don't.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
I have very high expectations for Duane this year. We need him back and playing ASAP. He is our best PG by wide margin and freshman or not he needs to play big minutes ASAP. I do not buy into freshman do not play idea. Our freshmen guards are best option moving ahead and they need to play.

Without a doubt 'cause the current group sucks ass.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 09:55:47 AM »

I'd think the answer is pretty obvious. It's the same answer that it has been for numerous players over the past 6 seasons.

Do you really think it would have scarred the freshmen for life if Buzz threw them in for a couple of minutes here or there, even in garbage time late? If so, what does that say about the mental toughness of Buzz's heralded recruits?

I honestly don't know, but I trust Buzz to know how to develop his talent. My guess is that Buzz still felt we had a chance if shots started dropping. The lead seemed to balloon from "we have a chance" to "that got out of hand" in a hurry.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
I don't think Buzz did anything wrong in this game.  He was looking for his Veterans to demonstrate leadership and fortitude in a tough game.  Mayo tried to step up, but didn't do it within the offense.  Gardner did OK, but there needs to be a better strategy to get the defense to release the double teams.  (making shots would be one good strategy).  Nobody else stepped up. 

Everyone played good D, except during the stretch when OSU started running early in the 2nd half.

Actually, had MU shot 38% they would have won. 

So, what should buzz learn form this?
- The game is too fast for Derrick - every time he sped up even a little, he created a turnover
- Derrick cannot be the inbounder.  He's too small, and he thinks too slow.
- More/varied sets to get the ball inside to DG
- Jamil is not a leader.  Everyone would like it if he were.  Juan brings more energy.  Probably need to start Juan again.
- Keep Mayo coming off the bench to speed up the offense until he gets more disciplined
- Get Jake a couple screens
- Change the game by speeding up the game for 1-2 minute stretches of 'small ball" with Mayo, Jamil, Juan, Dawson, and Taylor or Burton.  Press during this period.
- Actually, with Derrick out, they could run a lot even with Otoule or Gardner in.
- Taylor is a rebounding stud. 
- The defense is good

Pretty complete list BUT forgot one....

Jake CANNOT shoot
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 03:20:06 AM »
Pretty complete list BUT forgot one....

Jake CANNOT shoot

I'm going to wait a couple more games to pass judgement on Jake's shooting... and I hope Buzz does as well.  I currently think that Jake is playing good D and that he and Mayo make a nice combo at 2 guard.   After seeing JJJ's shot, I wouldn't trust that release to hold up under pressure, but I'd give him a few minutes mid first half to build confidence. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Boone

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
I'm not going to wait any longer to pass judgement on Jake's shooting...it's godawful. In his MU career, he's a combined 12-45 from 3, for 26.7%. Some % for an alleged longrange 'sniper.' ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:31:50 AM by Boone »

connie

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »
I'm not going to wait any longer to pass judgement on Jake's shooting...it's godawful. In his MU career, he's a combined 12-45 for 26.7%. Some % for an alleged longrange 'sniper.' ::)
Buzz knows the numbers better than all of us combined.  Obviously Jake's shooting percentage is not why he is getting minutes.  (I STILL have no idea what the reason is, however).
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
We led 21-19, before the wheels came off. The wheels came off, when all of a sudden Ohio St. could drive to the basket and score. I am not sure what adjustment Coach Matta made, but he must of done something at halftime. Given that the starters could not stop Ohio St. I do not think going to JJJ and Dawson would of helped on defense. I think Buzz thought it was more important to get his starters to learn from their mistakes.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.

Guys, we go through this EVERY YEAR. Until you actually see the frosh. play (and play well), don't assume that they can make the transition to D1 hoops.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
Oh, also, Buzz didn't play his best line-up because he's trying to f*ck with Larry Williams.

Buzz never wanted to play such a tough game this early in the season, but Larry insisted, so Buzz made no effort to win the game. Made Larry look like a d*ck if you ask me. 

There's still a lot of friction there, guys. Don't be fooled.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
Oh, also, Buzz didn't play his best line-up because he's trying to f*ck with Larry Williams.

Buzz never wanted to play such a tough game this early in the season, but Larry insisted, so Buzz made no effort to win the game. Made Larry look like a d*ck if you ask me. 

There's still a lot of friction there, guys. Don't be fooled.

Thanks for this...made me LOL :)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
We led 21-19, before the wheels came off. The wheels came off, when all of a sudden Ohio St. could drive to the basket and score. I am not sure what adjustment Coach Matta made, but he must of done something at halftime. Given that the starters could not stop Ohio St. I do not think going to JJJ and Dawson would of helped on defense. I think Buzz thought it was more important to get his starters to learn from their mistakes.

Suddenly, MU quit going inside and stopped rotating on defense.   5 minute lapse.   Game over.   I am willing to bet the team is very coachable this week. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »
So if Dawson and Johnson came in and got embarrassed, that would have been good for them? There's no merit to building confidence, it's always automatically better to throw an inexperienced kid into a situation where they are certain to fail? Maybe there's a method to Buzz's madness.

Yes it would have.  Just like it was good for Key, McIlvaine and Logterman to get their collective a$$ses handed to them by Duke in one of their first collegiate games.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »

As much as I would have liked Buzz to throw Dawson and JJJ into the mix for at least 5 minutes of run to see what transpired - think Buzz looked at it like the game being a "pitchers duel/defensive slugfest" and wanted to ride what he feels is the best defensive lineup(s) for the game.

I don't think anybody here has any qualms with Derrick Wilson's defense - the question is, does that defensive ability offset the liabilities offensively?  Still think Dawson needs to get a lot more PT to develop and see what he can bring to the table.  He definitely has some ability...and I'd say significantly more ability than Derrick offensively.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »
As much as I would have liked Buzz to throw Dawson and JJJ into the mix for at least 5 minutes of run to see what transpired

This. 
I don't think playing them for a few minutes would have changed the game.  I understand the arguments for keeping the freshmen on the bench.  This was an opportunity to get a look at them against strong competition with little downside.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
If we bought this freshmen can't play argument, we never would have knocked off #2 UConn in our very 1st Big East conference game.  

feedback