Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: May I suggest a new starting 5?  (Read 15291 times)

Da 'Lanche

• All American
May I suggest a new starting 5?
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
I know it is only a few games, but, this game was telling of a story that I just dont see changing for the better unless we make some immediate changes:

PG:  Dawson (and if Duane gets healthy and beats him out, fine).   Derrick is a solid back up and good spot defender with his strong hands and body...but he is not a D1 starting PG who will get the job done, period.
SG:  Mayo, backed up with good minutes from JJJ.    Mayo missed a lot of shots today and played out of control (probably from desperation), but he can be solid.   I would spot him with JJJ and if he really is so talented, get him the minutes to develop and contribute.   Jake, Im not going to bash a young man who is working his arse off, but, you need spot minutes at best.
F:  Juan...just like last year...great energy and he brings it all the time...let Jamil Wilson come off the bench with significant minutes again...I may have been most disappointed in his game today.
F:  Steve Taylor Jr.    The dude can just board!  He is usually in a great spot on the floor....why did he not play more in the second half?  
C:  Otule followed by Gardner.

First off the bench...Deonte Burton, JJJ, Gardner.....limit the rotation to the above and we should have a much better season as well as have the younger guys mixed in to be primed for March.

Buzz was either trying to send a message today or is using it to justify major lineup changes....or, he was just stubborn.

Glad this is November only....lots of season left to develop
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:29:16 PM by murobrob »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
Re: May I suggest a new starting 5?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
I trust who Buzz starts

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
I trust Buzz too....he has forgotten more about college basketball than I will ever know...he sees the kids in practice and knows their talent....but, this is a forum for opinions and I shared mine....do you really trust that Jake is the best SG we have on the team and should be starting with such major minutes?   

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
Buzz was either trying to send a message today or is using it to justify major lineup changes....or, he was just stubborn.

Glad this is November only....lots of season left to develop

After the game got away, it was clear that's what he was doing.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
I trust who Buzz starts

I Dont..... jake thomas and derrick wilson... laughable....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »
I have no problem with starting Dawson, but let's not kid ourselves that he's going to turn a poor outside shooting team into a good one.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
I have no problem with starting Dawson, but let's not kid ourselves that he's going to turn a poor outside shooting team into a good one.

I like his 20 Minutes against Grambling.... Over the 6 Combined years of Wilson and Thomas..... They are not Division 1 Starters..... Period

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
After all the hype about how good JJJ looked from Paint Touches, from Buzz, from the team--Buzz has really not given him the chance.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
Only looking at trying something else for potential improvements, not certainty.  We don't have Diener, Wade, and Crowder sitting on the bench in Dawson, JJJ, and Burton.  But my eyes burn to see something different.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
I haven't seen Dawson enough to name him a starter. I would still go with Derrick but definitely not paired with Thomas. Otherwise, I like the lineup.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
Only looking at trying something else for potential improvements, not certainty.  We don't have Diener, Wade, and Crowder sitting on the bench in Dawson, JJJ, and Burton.  But my eyes burn to see something different.

I can't disagree with that.

netty24

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
If I was JJJ i would be pretty furious/confused at this point. Your coach raves about you the entire offseason, as well as your teammates, you play well/show some flashes in the first two games, then sit on the bench the entire game behind two guys who are way below your skill level.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
Was actually doodling about the same thing. Ox/Otule, Steve, Jr., Mayo, Juan and (with a degree of protest) Jamil. He has not demonstrated any desire/ability to lead. I'm hoping the hip pointer or whatever might have held him back. I don't think Dawson is ready to start but I would think about working him into the rotation. Mayo was pressing today but at least he was the one guy who wouldn't put his tail between his legs and kept playing. The upperclassmen don't seem to be setting the example. Let us hope and pray that the Jake era is largely closed - with all the hype about what a great 3-shooter he is, time has run out on that experiment without much in the way of results. As much as I like Derrick, and hoped that he would develop as his role changed, I don't see him as a strong option at point. Maybe Jamil would get motivated playing behind Bane.

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
Netty...if u saw any of the Grambling game, u would know why he's not playing. JJJ will be a good player but his off-the-ball D has a long ways to go!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
If I was JJJ i would be pretty furious/confused at this point. Your coach raves about you the entire offseason, as well as your teammates, you play well/show some flashes in the first two games, then sit on the bench the entire game behind two guys who are way below your skill level.

I am pretty sure that Buzz has communicated enough with JJJ in private to know where he stands.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »

That was the most disappointing thing about today's game. Feel bad for the kid to have to watch that garbage today.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »
I trust who Buzz starts
why?  didn't give us a reason to trust them today.  losing would have been one thing, scoring less than 20 points in two consecutive halves is another.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
If I had to words for the Marquette community today, they would be "don't panic".

And if you want to talk about minutes, realize who played the bulk of them. This game is going to be your best barometer of who we're going to see on the court for the coming year. If you don't like it, I hear there's a team in Madison you could start cheering for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
If I had to words for the Marquette community today, they would be "don't panic".

And if you want to talk about minutes, realize who played the bulk of them. This game is going to be your best barometer of who we're going to see on the court for the coming year. If you don't like it, I hear there's a team in Madison you could start cheering for.
Let me make sure I get this straight...  For you the best course of action to take if you are ever frustrated by the play of your favorite team is to begin cheering for your hated rival instead.  Got it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »

Brew, we're all fans.  People can be upset about lineups, etc and that doesn't mean they don't like Buzz or are required to go cheer for another team.  It was clear, early the players on the court weren't getting it done and there are some very good players on the bench that folks were hoping to see.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
If im in High School and was recruited my Marquette... After seeing how many minutes their freshmen are getting... I would go as far away from Wisconsin as I could get.....

TOP 10 RECRUITING CLASS......... BOTTOM 10 IN MINUTES PLAYED..... HORRIBLE

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
Brew, we're all fans.  People can be upset about lineups, etc and that doesn't mean they don't like Buzz or are required to go cheer for another team.  It was clear, early the players on the court weren't getting it done and there are some very good players on the bench that folks were hoping to see.

I agree with that.  I was hoping to see them.  I don't buy into the suggestion that they would have changed the outcome of that game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
Let me make sure I get this straight...  For you the best course of action to take if you are ever frustrated by the play of your favorite team is to begin cheering for your hated rival instead.  Got it.

No, I just get irritated by the lack of a willingness on the behalf of Marquette fans to support the guys that are out there. Maybe it's true with every fan base, but I'm not sure there are many that turn on our own guys as quickly as we do. That makes me sick. I find merit in supporting a team through both thick and thin.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
No, I just get irritated by the lack of a willingness on the behalf of Marquette fans to support the guys that are out there. Maybe it's true with every fan base, but I'm not sure there are many that turn on our own guys as quickly as we do. That makes me sick. I find merit in supporting a team through both thick and thin.

Its not about not supporting out team. Its not like I hope for Derrick and Jake to do poorly, I want them to prove me wrong. But time and time again they have shown what they are and there isnt much more to them. Derrick is a PG who cant score worth a damn and Jake is a shooter who cant hit a shot unless its against te worst them in the NCAA.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Today was a perfect example of what happens when you start and give the majority of minutes to a one-dimensional PG. There's no reason for the other team to guard him because he poses zero offensive threat. After three games, Julius Randle already has more points in his college career than Derrick Wilson.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

feedback