Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seth Davis picks MU win  (Read 5092 times)

Retire54

• Walk-On
Seth Davis picks MU win
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
Couple little blurbs from NBC and SI about games this weekend-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131115/marquette-ohio-state-lead-friday-picks/

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/15/weekend-preview-ohio-state-takes-on-marquette-and-marshall-henderson-returns/

Also, was not aware the Badgers are going to Green Bay to play UWGB on Saturday night. Hopefully the day goes MU's way twice and Becky goes down.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
Re: Seth Davis picks MU win
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »
Also, was not aware the Badgers are going to Green Bay to play UWGB on Saturday night. Hopefully the day goes MU's way twice and Becky goes down.

I'm not a fan of the Badgers, but I hope they win every game they play outside of MU.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
I'm not a fan of the Badgers, but I hope they win every game they play outside of MU.

So you hope they win the Big Ten and Nat'l Championship?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »

Yes. We need all the rpi help we can get.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »

I am no Wisconsin fan either, but I hate this attitude. Sure, it'd be cool if UWGB beat Wisco, but that in no way helps MU.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »
I am no Wisconsin fan either, but I hate this attitude. Sure, it'd be cool if UWGB beat Wisco, but that in no way helps MU.
It does not help MU, but it helps me feel good.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »

Agreed.  In the old BE, we'd be fine if we just took care of business because our SOS would be pretty good just based on the strength of the conference.  Now, it's more important that teams like tOSU, UW-Madison, AZ State and New Mexico do well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
I prefer when he picks against MU, so we as fans can have that little underdog attitude.   Plus, it feels like bad luck to actually get picked. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »

Whatever..... there's no way the committee gives anything but the top #1 seed to a 34-0 team, regardless of their RPI.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
Whatever..... there's no way the committee gives anything but the top #1 seed to a 34-0 team, regardless of their RPI.

During 1973 the North Carolina State Wolfpack finished the regular season 27–0 and ranked #2 (behind undefeated and eventual tournament champion UCLA) but were barred from participating in the NCAA tournament while on probation for recruiting violations.

During 1979, the Alcorn State University Braves finished the regular season 27–0, but did not receive an invitation to the NCAA Tournament. The Braves accepted a bid to the NIT, where they lost in the second round to eventual NIT champion Indiana

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
If we have to pull for the Badgers to win we're not going anywhere to begin with.  I'm just fine with them going Grambling status and us just taking care of our own business.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
During 1973 the North Carolina State Wolfpack finished the regular season 27–0 and ranked #2 (behind undefeated and eventual tournament champion UCLA) but were barred from participating in the NCAA tournament while on probation for recruiting violations.

During 1979, the Alcorn State University Braves finished the regular season 27–0, but did not receive an invitation to the NCAA Tournament. The Braves accepted a bid to the NIT, where they lost in the second round to eventual NIT champion Indiana

Yeah.... well, they didn't go 34-0 now, did they?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 04:13:32 PM »

They ARE a rival.  You root for them to lose unless them winning benefits the school that you root for.  To me, it makes perfect sense and its a natural part of the fabric that makes collegiate sports special.  I hate the Badgers and am happy to admit as much...

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »
It does not help MU, but it helps me feel good.
+1

They ARE a rival.  You root for them to lose unless them winning benefits the school that you root for.  To me, it makes perfect sense and its a natural part of the fabric that makes collegiate sports special.  I hate the Badgers and am happy to admit as much...
+1

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
Wisconsin at Green Bay is on TWCSC at 7pm.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
I hope WI loses in horrific fashion every game they play. I also hope they are placed on probation and die a slow and painful death and that goes for football too, but thats just me.

That rpi stuff is nonsense. If mu wins their games they will get a high seed. Worrying about rpi and s.o.s. is what bubble teams and losers do. We need to start thinking like blue bloods to become a blue blood.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 12:08:57 AM »
If MU wins tomorrow, it will be a huge statement for the program and for the Big East Conference. It will do as much, if not more, for the national perception of Marquette and the sustained (I won't call it new) Big East Conference, as it will our RPI.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »
If MU wins tomorrow, it will be a huge statement for the program and for the Big East Conference. It will do as much, if not more, for the national perception of Marquette and the sustained (I won't call it new) Big East Conference, as it will our RPI.

It's a game in November, let's not go crazy. Everyone will be watching football.

The best way to build up the national perception of the league is to get a bunch of teams into the dance, and win there.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »
Seth must know the Bucks struggle to win in the Bradley Center.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
They ARE a rival.  You root for them to lose unless them winning benefits the school that you root for.  To me, it makes perfect sense and its a natural part of the fabric that makes collegiate sports special.  I hate the Badgers and am happy to admit as much...

"Unless them winning benefits the school that you root for"

It does. Every Wisconsin win helps our RPI. Will it be the difference between a 1 and 2 seed? Probably not, but its not meaningless either (like SoS is in the NFL).

I dont know about you guys, but i care more about Marquette having an easy path to the FF than i do rubbing a UW loss in a badgers fan's face.  I would argue that if you don't, then youre not really an MU fan, but rather a UW-hater who just so happens to also root for Marquette (or perhaps much too casual a fan to know that RPI affects our seeding)

Im willing to change my opinion if someone shows me that the rpi difference between a wisconsin 12th place big ten finish and a first place finish has no impact on our seeding, AP ranking, etc. (ie, im too casual a fan to know that RPI really doesnt affect our seeding)

Clearly its best for MU if wisconsin turns into Grambling. But lets be real, its not happening anytime soon.  If you claim every uw loss brings them closer to grambling status, then i would say youre hopelessly idealistic and have too much foresight for sports, especially one with a four-year roster turnover.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
It's a game in November, let's not go crazy. Everyone will be watching football.

The best way to build up the national perception of the league is to get a bunch of teams into the dance, and win there.

No, I disagree. All of the cbb pundits will be watching closely to see how the sustained Big East teams measure up against teams from other conferences. A win against Ohio State, won't end the "Big East isn't as strong" talk, but it will be a huge start toward ending that talk.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
Seth Davis sucks

feedback