Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Final Four and Coach of Year Predictions  (Read 8511 times)

mubb34

• Team Captain
ESPN Final Four and Coach of Year Predictions
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
I just wanted to highlight the ESPN link below for the 2013-2014 season:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/preview2013/story/_/page/13predictions/predictions-college-basketball-season

Adrian Branch: Marquette in Final 4

Myron Medcalf: Buzz Williams is Coach of the Year

::)

JWags85

• All American
Re: ESPN Final Four and Coach of Year Predictions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
One of the other "experts" predicted Harvard in the Final Four...so there's that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »
One of the other "experts" predicted Harvard in the Final Four...so there's that.

So, one for Harvard and one for the Harvard of the Midwest. Sweet.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
NM.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:29:17 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
Rock Chalk......Jayhawk....K........U.......

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »

This is why we can't have nice things on this board. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

The key in this being that it wasn't Branch or Medcalf.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »

You know, college hoops would probably be so much more enjoyable if I was a fan of 274 different D-I teams.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »
You know, college hoops would probably be so much more enjoyable if I was a fan of 274 different D-I teams.

Probably true, that's why I just stick the universities I attended. Makes it much more manageable

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 08:55:44 AM »
Probably true, that's why I just stick the universities I attended. Makes it much more manageable

I live in Chicago now, but that doesn't mean I'm a Bears fan. 

On top of that, the fact that the other two programs you follow that aren't MU are perennial powerhouses that have more than passing history with MU ('03 final four, coaches) is what draws the ire of this board.  I bet if you had gone to Southern and Grambling St. for grad school instead, you wouldn't bring up anyone but MU...but even if you did no one would care.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »
I live in Chicago now, but that doesn't mean I'm a Bears fan. 

On top of that, the fact that the other two programs you follow that aren't MU are perennial powerhouses that have more than passing history with MU ('03 final four, coaches) is what draws the ire of this board.  I bet if you had gone to Southern and Grambling St. for grad school instead, you wouldn't bring up anyone but MU...but even if you did no one would care.

Uhm, ok.  I live in Los Angeles and can't stand the Lakers, Doyers, Clippers or when the Lambs or Raiders were here. 

I'll cheer for the schools I am an alumnus of, fortunately all three are very good basketball schools so it makes this time of year a lot of fun.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »

So who will you cheer for when MU plays IUPUI next month?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
Uhm, ok.  I live in Los Angeles and can't stand the Lakers, Doyers, Clippers or when the Lambs or Raiders were here. 

I'll cheer for the schools I am an alumnus of, fortunately all three are very good basketball schools so it makes this time of year a lot of fun.

There's a special place in hell for sports bigamists.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »

+10,000. Diluting one's passion by spreading it over multiple teams competing for the same goal means there was never much passion to begin with.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »

Agreed--few things more obnoxious and self-indulgent in sports fandom than this.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
+10,000. Diluting one's passion by spreading it over multiple teams competing for the same goal means there was never much passion to begin with.

Honestly, if it wasn't Chicos and he wasn't so obnoxious about it, no one would care about this. Personally, I got my MBA from a different university and I follow that program to some extent. I also half-heartedly root for my wife's alma mater, particularly in football. However, I'm not attention-starved to the point that I feel the need to come onto a Marquette board and pound my chest because my other schools did well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
Honestly, if it wasn't Chicos and he wasn't so obnoxious about it, no one would care about this. Personally, I got my MBA from a different university and I follow that program to some extent. I also half-heartedly root for my wife's alma mater, particularly in football. However, I'm not attention-starved to the point that I feel the need to come onto a Marquette board and pound my chest because my other schools did well.

Key words: "To some extent" and "half-heartedly". That's a normal way to follow your own grad school team or wife or kid's colleges. Aggressively, in your face cheering for them on your undergraduate team's board is decidedly abnormal.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Key words: "To some extent" and "half-heartedly". That's a normal way to follow your own grad school team or wife or kid's colleges. Aggressively, in your face cheering for them on your undergraduate team's board is decidedly abnormal.

I could see cheering like crazy if the undergrad school sucked.  I know a guy who went to loyola for undergrad and is here for law school and he's more than a little bit more intense cheering for MU. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »
I could see cheering like crazy if the undergrad school sucked.  I know a guy who went to loyola for undergrad and is here for law school and he's more than a little bit more intense cheering for MU. 

Our program's descent in the late eighties coincided with UConn's rise under Calhoun, and I admit I adopted UConn as a second team.  There is never a point where I would have considered rooting for UConn against Marquette, but I celebrated when the Huskies won the BET for the first time and when they won their first NCAA championship.  My UConn fandom ended abruptly and immediately when we joined the Big East, as my bigamist tendencies would never survive two teams in the same conference. 

Also, I was a Laker fan since I was 7 (loved Jerry West and Wilt) but just couldn't root for Kobe (I gave up when he forced Shaq out) and now I root for no specific team, but once the playoffs start I'll root for any team that plays an MU guy, and for reasons I can't explain, I will root for the more recent vintage player when there are MU alum on opposite sides, like Butler over Wade if Chicago played Miami.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »

I think the underlined part is the key.  I too attended a different university (Vanderbilt) for law school...but while I casually follow them (my second favorite CBB team) and they're often pretty good, I NEVER would come on a MU message board to brag about them.  In fact, MU's two losses to Vandy just killed me.  Doesn't sound like Chicos would have any problem watching KU pound MU into oblivion...and then come here to brag about it.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
CTWarrior - despite the greivous and despicable fact that you were a Lakers fan (perhaps there was some sort of childhood trauma, since you were only seven), you have demonstrated laudatory and legitimate judgment and humanity in detesting Kobe, and changing your ways. I've got to admit, I had mixed feelings about how I'd be able to accept DJO in the hated purple and gold. Congratulations to you!

I had a different undergrad school, and another post-degree university for training but root for them minimally compared to MU (of course, they both stink at hoops).

I'm not far from UConn either and because of a professional relationship with an athlete who became a UConn (ladies) hoopster, I became a fan of their ladies'
team. Though I kind of liked Calhoun, couldn't root for the UConn men for a minute - in fact I've enjoyed our string of victories in Storrs, Hartford immensely.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »
I think sports bigamy is possible. I work in academia and have been a student or employee at 4 different universities now. I follow and passionately cheer for 3 of the 4 (one is a D2 school). However, I feel like there has to be a school that rises above the rest. You can't truly love equally. For most, myself included, that is our undergrad institution. But it is certainly possible that another could rise above the rest.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »

Honestly, how in your face am I about KU?  Very very little.  How in your face was I about IU prior to someone leaving?  Barely a peep.

Now, since this became an IU board half the time because of a lot of butt hurt people.....get the idea?

Not abnormal at all.  I'd suggest keeping the MU board about MU and you would be amazed at how much the board remains about MU.  

And all this sports bigamy talk...silly.  If you went to multiple schools and were heavily engaged, why can't you cheer for multiple schools?  If you have more than one child, can you only love one?  Beyond ridiculous.  Do I cheer for all my schools equally, hell no.  MU #1 and it isn't even remotely close by any stretch.  Not by any.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:00:47 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »
I think the underlined part is the key.  I too attended a different university (Vanderbilt) for law school...but while I casually follow them (my second favorite CBB team) and they're often pretty good, I NEVER would come on a MU message board to brag about them.  In fact, MU's two losses to Vandy just killed me.  Doesn't sound like Chicos would have any problem watching KU pound MU into oblivion...and then come here to brag about it.

You haven't been following or paying attention very long.

Favorite teams

1) MU
1a MU
1b MU
1c MU

DISTANT 2nd  IU.  Distant 3rd KU

Do I ever want to see MU lose, to anyone?  No.

How many posts did I have about IU prior to March 30, 2008?  20 maybe?  Then this board became IU all the time.  Cause and effect.  People are surprised at my responses, maybe they should look at the mirror and see the cause of it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 08:21:22 AM »

-1.  I could not disagree more.

I root for all of my alma maters during the CBB season, but it's MU first and foremost should they ever meet up in the tourney. 

Do you root for other Big East teams in the OOC?  In the tourney?  If they win, it helps Marquette.  And the help is not trivial (e.g., RPI, tourney credits, league prestige). 

feedback