[June 09, 2024, 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East adds Tom Jernstedt as advisor  (Read 17603 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Big East adds Tom Jernstedt as advisor
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/89477/jernstedt-gives-big-east-big-boost

Jernstedt gives Big East big boost

By Dana O'Neil | ESPN.com

When Tom Jernstedt started at the NCAA, March wasn’t terribly mad. The NCAA tournament field was a measly 25 teams in 1972. But with Jernstedt’s help, the tourney grew to its current 68-team bracket, turning March into a basketball lover’s three-week holiday.

In between, Jernstedt earned the respect and admiration of his peers, not always an easy feat for a lifer at NCAA headquarters.

That’s why the Big East’s announcement that Jernstedt would join the league as a senior advisor is a big deal. The new-look Big East is still getting its house in order, trying to figure out where exactly it fits in the college basketball hierarchy, trying to best determine how to maximize its potential.

According to the league, Jernstedt will help commissioner Val Ackerman and other league administrators with officiating, scheduling, postseason play and an entire strategic plan.

Jernstedt can help with all of those things, but more important, his presence gives the Big East instant credibility. The core of the league, the Catholic 7, made the quick move to secede and reform, but since then it’s been slow in filling out the particulars of the conference. Ackerman was named commissioner in June, but the new Big East remains very much in the creation stages.

In addition, just how it will be perceived in college basketball remains to be seen. Jernstedt’s playing days are slightly behind him -- he was a quarterback, anyway -- but he can help the conference navigate through the landmines of what is now very much a power-broker world.

He’s both well versed in basketball and well connected. During his tenure at the NCAA, he negotiated television contracts, marketed the NCAA tourney and worked hand-in-hand with the selection committee. His opinions and thoughts are so valued that he was recently named to the inaugural College Football Playoff selection committee.

A Hall of Famer, Jernstedt spent 38 years at the NCAA headquarters before stepping down in 2010. Though it was announced that he resigned, Jernstedt technically was forced out when Mark Emmert came on board as NCAA president and reconfigured his management team.

"(Jernstedt’s) stature, knowledge, relationships, professionalism and unqualified passion for the game will be of tremendous value to the Big East as we look to make our mark in our first season as a reconstituted league and build our long-term basketball and conference development plan," Ackerman said in a statement.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Big East adds Tom Jernstedt as advisor
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »
Sounds good to me.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
Gotta wonder what they hired Val Ackerman to do? Frankly, the start of the conference has been poorly executed.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
Gotta wonder what they hired Val Ackerman to do? Frankly, the start of the conference has been poorly executed.

She came in very late.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »

Gonna go with "run the whole conference, not just men's basketball."
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »
Anyone else incredibly entertained by the fact that an employee of the Big East will help pick the college football playoff teams?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
She came in very late.

Two sins

1. It took 3 months to hire a CEO

2. The CEO has been unusually ineffectual almost half a year into her tenure

She should have accomplished a lot more by this time. Hiring Jernstedt suggests she isn't getting it done. Would Marissa Mayer have brought in a hired gun within 4 months?

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
What exactly did you expect her to accomplish that she hasn't?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »
Two sins

1. It took 3 months to hire a CEO

2. The CEO has been unusually ineffectual almost half a year into her tenure

She should have accomplished a lot more by this time. Hiring Jernstedt suggests she isn't getting it done. Would Marissa Mayer have brought in a hired gun within 4 months?

Agree on number 1.

For number 2, I think she's only been in the gig for the Big East since late June.  Only 4 months.    I'm a firm believer of hiring smarter people than yourself (not hard in my case) and if she is doing that, I give her credit.  Just my opinion.  The whole website thing I don't blame her one bit.  Hell, $634M and 3+ years can't build a website apparently....I don't think we can expect Val to have it done in one month.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
Agree on number 1.

For number 2, I think she's only been in the gig for the Big East since late June.  Only 4 months.    I'm a firm believer of hiring smarter people than yourself (not hard in my case) and if she is doing that, I give her credit.  Just my opinion.  The whole website thing I don't blame her one bit.  Hell, $634M and 3+ years can't build a website apparently....I don't think we can expect Val to have it done in one month.

So The Chicos Rules:
Basketball Coach:   5 years
CEO:  3 years
BE Commissioner: 4 months

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
So The Chicos Rules:
Basketball Coach:   5 years
CEO:  3 years
BE Commissioner: 4 months

Blackheart, it really isn't that hard.  You are a smart guy, I know you are so I really don't understand the issue on your part.

So let's start...AGAIN...I'd like a coach to have 1 or 2 classes go through the system.  That takes...drumroll...4 to 5 years.   This avoids the problem of coaches doing well the first 2 or 3 years with the previous guy's talent.  It proves he can recruit, etc.

This really isn't that hard, especially for the educated folks here.  I don't know why the educated folks make it so hard.  Common sense and why most first year contracts for coaches are.....drumroll....5 years.  Been in this business for almost 20 years working in and with pro and college sports.  It isn't hard, it's why the timelines are used and why most AD's worth their salt will say they want coaches to prove they can do it with their guys, unless the wheels come off earlier.  Lane Kiffin.  

CEO...doesn't need 5 years.  He may replace some of the C level employees or the EVPs to get his/her team in place, but this isn't college athletics.  Commissioner....hmm....I didn't realize I had given her any kind of approval of any kind.  Merely said it has been 4 months and nothing more.  Didn't judge her one way or the other.

Carry on.....clearly there has to be something more to be outraged by than this.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
Actually Cheeks I don't have a problem with your "Five Year Rule" so much as you giving a pass to Val.  The BE and FS1 have one chance to get this right and they have stumbled out of the blocks, some say miserably.  First impressions in media are all you get.  You should know that instead of making excuses for her.  And you have skin in this game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
Actually Cheeks I don't have a problem with your "Five Year Rule" so much as you giving a pass to Val.  The BE and FS1 have one chance to get this right and they have stumbled out of the blocks, some say miserably.  First impressions in media are all you get.  You should know that instead of making excuses for her.  And you have skin in this game.

I don't think I'm giving Val a pass.  I didn't say anything about her other than she's been on the job for 4 months. 

I disagree with you that they have one chance to get things right.  Was the Pac 12 network and their first year without flaws?  Of course not.  Have they lived for another day?  Yup.  Let's not get overly dramatic here. 

Can you list how they have stumbled out of the blocks, let alone miserably.  They may have, but I'd like to understand what those are.  Or what has she and the conference failed to do that should have been done by someone of more competence?

1) website late to launch
2) ?
3) ?
4) ?
5) ?
6) ?
7) ?
8) ?
9) ?
10) ?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 11:08:28 PM »
Actually Cheeks I don't have a problem with your "Five Year Rule" so much as you giving a pass to Val.  The BE and FS1 have one chance to get this right and they have stumbled out of the blocks, some say miserably.  First impressions in media are all you get.  You should know that instead of making excuses for her.  And you have skin in this game.

So, other than one mildly critical Dana O'Neil column four months ago and a bunch of message board nerds whining about the launch of a website they've probably never visited since said launch, who's out there saying the Big East has stumbled, much less stumbled miserably?
Examples, please.

"First impressions in media are all you get," said no one who's ever watched the career of Conan O'Brien or the first season of Seinfeld.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »
Why don't you list what she has done?  That is right...time to call in the grown ups to get the job done now.

Conan?  Thanks for making my point...seven months on the big stage and canned.  And heaven forbid those who consume media would want access to that Internet thingy.  Streaming, merchandising, standings, content, sponsorships, buzz, tickets...yeah that is only for few of us nerds only.  A very poor launch by any standard...except you two, which is scary as you both are in media.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 12:20:44 AM »
Why don't you list what she has done?  That is right...time to call in the grown ups to get the job done now.

Conan?  Thanks for making my point...seven months on the big stage and canned.  And heaven forbid those who consume media would want access to that Internet thingy.  Streaming, merchandising, standings, content, sponsorships, buzz, tickets...yeah that is only for few of us nerds only.  A very poor launch by any standard...except you two, which is scary as you both are in media.

She was hired June 26th.  The website launched 2 months later.  The US Gov't has had $634million and 3+ years and can't get one launched right, what resources did the Big East have?  I'm just curious.

Streaming....not controlled by the Big East, out of her hands.
Standings??...pac-12.com has standings for only 4 sports...where are the others?
Sponsorships...they have several sponsors already in hand and more on the way.
Tickets...is there a problem with tickets? I'm asking.  Go to pac-12.com...check out the tickets section...HUGE holes, missing information, for a conference that has been around two years.

Wait, is all of the above just limited to the website?  Seems like it.  So we're back to item 1 still.

Where else has she messed up in her 4 months where she has literally had to start from scratch?  Maybe she, maybe she hasn't, but I suspect you think she has a lot more resources than she actually has at her disposal.  If her office is like the Big Ten or Pac 12 offices I deal with, I assure you there is much more myth than reality.  They don't have very many people and not much in resources either.  My guess is the Big East is going to be a step down in that regard.

It's not our job to list what she has done, you are claiming a miserable scenario and supposed mockery out there.  Shouldn't it be up to you to show outside of a website what all these issues are?  Did the tv deal fall through?  Are the games not scheduled?  Do we have no refs?  Did the Big East tournament get cancelled?  Are other sports not playing games?  Etc?   Where is the misery?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 12:24:45 AM »
I don't think I'm giving Val a pass.  I didn't say anything about her other than she's been on the job for 4 months. 

I disagree with you that they have one chance to get things right.  Was the Pac 12 network and their first year without flaws?  Of course not.  Have they lived for another day?  Yup.  Let's not get overly dramatic here. 

Can you list how they have stumbled out of the blocks, let alone miserably.  They may have, but I'd like to understand what those are.  Or what has she and the conference failed to do that should have been done by someone of more competence?

1) website late to launch
2) ?
3) ?
4) ?
5) ?
6) ?
7) ?
8) ?
9) ?
10) ?

Chico

Compare Ackerman's first 4 months with Mayer's. Only one belongs on the Ted Mack Amateur Hour...

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 12:50:48 AM »
Chico

Compare Ackerman's first 4 months with Mayer's. Only one belongs on the Ted Mack Amateur Hour...

Since Mayer has taken the helm, Yahoo's revenue has not grown (in fact it is down).  The stock has gained largely because of Jerry Yang's investment in Alibaba (which has taken off). Ackerman has not had an opportunity to succeed or fail yet, give her some time...she is starting all this from scratch.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 01:12:08 AM »
Since Mayer has taken the helm, Yahoo's revenue has not grown (in fact it is down).  The stock has gained largely because of Jerry Yang's investment in Alibaba (which has taken off). Ackerman has not had an opportunity to succeed or fail yet, give her some time...she is starting all this from scratch.

Revenue is down but profits are up and SHV has more than doubled. Alibaba is a part of the portfolio but Mayer could have spun it off in a number of ways and for different reasons. But she didn't. Point is, when a leader takes over the most important time is the first 100 days. Ackerman has been underwhelming, at best.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
Revenue is down but profits are up and SHV has more than doubled. Alibaba is a part of the portfolio but Mayer could have spun it off in a number of ways and for different reasons. But she didn't. Point is, when a leader takes over the most important time is the first 100 days. Ackerman has been underwhelming, at best.

I'll agree with your 100 day rule, but remember this isn't a takeover, it is establishing something new from scratch.  That is where the difference lies.  When starting something from the ground up on a forced short-time scale things are bound to have a few snags.  No major issues yet so I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »
She was hired June 26th.  The website launched 2 months later.  The US Gov't has had $634million and 3+ years and can't get one launched right, what resources did the Big East have?  I'm just curious.

Streaming....not controlled by the Big East, out of her hands.
Standings??...pac-12.com has standings for only 4 sports...where are the others?
Sponsorships...they have several sponsors already in hand and more on the way.
Tickets...is there a problem with tickets? I'm asking.  Go to pac-12.com...check out the tickets section...HUGE holes, missing information, for a conference that has been around two years.

Wait, is all of the above just limited to the website?  Seems like it.  So we're back to item 1 still.

Where else has she messed up in her 4 months where she has literally had to start from scratch?  Maybe she, maybe she hasn't, but I suspect you think she has a lot more resources than she actually has at her disposal.  If her office is like the Big Ten or Pac 12 offices I deal with, I assure you there is much more myth than reality.  They don't have very many people and not much in resources either.  My guess is the Big East is going to be a step down in that regard.

It's not our job to list what she has done, you are claiming a miserable scenario and supposed mockery out there.  Shouldn't it be up to you to show outside of a website what all these issues are?  Did the tv deal fall through?  Are the games not scheduled?  Do we have no refs?  Did the Big East tournament get cancelled?  Are other sports not playing games?  Etc?   Where is the misery?

You are the one who defended her...what has she done?  She is 10 days away from the launch of her prime product.  Build awareness, build trial, build repeat.  Standard new product launch.  Meagan Kelly is her landing page right now from MU WOC. Val was hired because she had launched the WNBA...the timing shouldn't be an excuse (btw, she isn't starting from scratch as the C7 bought the assets...including branding, etc....and her predecessor handled all the pros you pointed out.  Lame)

The Soccer Bowls are upcoming...last year Red Bull was a sponsor of the men's.  MU is hosting the women's...is the Dog Haus this year's sponsor?  As to the website charge...ever hear of integrated marketing?  Video streaming isn't Fox's responsibility...that is for the games...I am talking other content...see MU's today and they have a feature on Boot Camp.  I live in Omaha and am excited to attend the BE Championship...how do I find info?  Wait...although MLB baseball teams are asking for renewals now.   

You want a good integrated approach..see you friends at the B1G...here is there website...you can see the same integration on the BTN and in the MSM, social media, merchandising, sponsorships, etc.  Simply no excuse.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/102713aaa.html

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:46 AM »
I'll agree with your 100 day rule, but remember this isn't a takeover, it is establishing something new from scratch.  That is where the difference lies.  When starting something from the ground up on a forced short-time scale things are bound to have a few snags.  No major issues yet so I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

This, plus she has to satisfy a 10 person BOD (the 10 Universities) who likely have varying degrees of experience in athletic conference operation.  Yahoo has been around nearly 20 years.  Other than the name, this conference has been around less than a year.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:46 AM »
As a person who started a new position four months ago and is dealing with unreasonable expectations, I say cut her some slack. 

Let's assess her next June.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 08:08:44 AM »
As a person who started a new position four months ago and is dealing with unreasonable expectations, I say cut her some slack. 

I'd love to except that again the brand launches now, not next June.  I look at it this way, I'm on a message board dedicated to a Big East team multiple times a day, I watch FSL now because I've banned ESPN from my house, I'm a season ticket holder, very active on social media, and I'm a part of a podcast about Marquette basketball....I've barely noticed the Big East launch, maybe that's not a fair bar but shouldn't someone as ingrained into college basketball as I am at least notice the launch?  If I'm not really seeing it, how is Joe Schmoe going to see it?

I go back to things like the podcast, doing one of those things is SO easy and we don't have nearly the resources the Big East has, they couldn't get videos or podcasts going and integrate them with social media?  Their webpage consists of a home page that pulls AP stories, a facebook and twitter feed(which they seem to update only every couple of days) and that's it.  They have a schedule page and an entire page about Val Ackerman....pretty utilitarian.

This technology stuff is not that big a deal, you can do some pretty cool stuff pretty easily.  Personally, especially with the short ramp up, I would have done crowd sourcing on this, plus it would have differentiated the Big East brand.  Think of all the material out there that is generated by the fans of all the teams, websites like Anonymous Eagle and Paint Touches.  Why couldn't they have developed a crowd sourced product for the fans, by the fans.  Say what you want about things like Bleacher Report(I don't read it), but they pump stories out on the cheap that people read at a low effort.

Again everyone should have gone into this with eyes wide open, especially Val so there is no reason not to hold them accountable.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »

What new position would that be?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:30:59 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback