[Today at 11:08:12 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:02:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Free-lance editing/proofreading  (Read 1378 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Free-lance editing/proofreading
« on: October 25, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
You guys all seem to have jobs....

I am a high school English teacher who desperately needs to get out of the classroom.  It used to be something I loved, but after 13 years, I know it's not the best fit for me.

I feel like I'm constantly being told by business professionals that their employees have trouble writing.  While the idea of becoming a free-lance editor/proofreader is appealing to me, as someone who has spent his entire life in the education bubble, I do not even know where to start.

Does anyone work for a company which employs outside editors?  Is this even a profession?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Free-lance editing/proofreading
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »
I would think that if you are looking to free lance, by the very nature of that, you wouldn't be looking to get hired by a company, but rather as a contractor.

Would technical writing be up your alley? 

Worse case scenario, the Snuggle House in madison is hiring (Hards applied but was too hairy.)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
You guys all seem to have jobs....

I am a high school English teacher who desperately needs to get out of the classroom.  It used to be something I loved, but after 13 years, I know it's not the best fit for me.

I feel like I'm constantly being told by business professionals that their employees have trouble writing.  While the idea of becoming a free-lance editor/proofreader is appealing to me, as someone who has spent his entire life in the education bubble, I do not even know where to start.

Does anyone work for a company which employs outside editors?  Is this even a profession?

Yes, we hire copy writers and editors.  As Ziggy said, it can be for technical manuals (user guides for products), or marketing materials for brochures, letters, etc.  Usually they are copy writers or something along those lines.  In my world, those folks are found in our creative services agency areas. You might want to try an agency approach, though be aware that agencies are of all kinds from the very fringe, boutique marketing craziness to others that are more corporate and do everything from Canon Copier manuals to lawnmower instructions, etc, etc.

I admire your self awareness that after 13 years you need to get out (or think you need to get out).  I'm embarking on the same journey and very near the same time tenure as you.  Best of luck.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
Its a lot of work for a questionable payoff, but start a blog on something you love. It gives you a chance to show off your writing. You might even be able to monitize it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
Its a lot of work for a questionable payoff, but start a blog on something you love. It gives you a chance to show off your writing. You might even be able to monitize it.

Or better yet, monetize it.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »

I started this a few months ago and have gotten quite a bit of traffic for some of my posts*. I've found it to be extremely fulfilling and it's led to some really interesting conversations and opportunities. One caveat is that you have to approach it with the mindset of "haters gonna hate" - there will always be someone who thinks you're a terrible writer and your opinions are moronic - consider it constructive criticism.

* Traffic is relative - my audience is the niche of programmers and data nerds
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:42:01 PM by gjreda »

brandx

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
I would think that if you are looking to free lance, by the very nature of that, you wouldn't be looking to get hired by a company, but rather as a contractor.

Would technical writing be up your alley? 

Worse case scenario, the Snuggle House in madison is hiring (Hards applied but was too hairy.)

I agree - check into opportunities in technical writing. Usually pays pretty well.

feedback