Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Released  (Read 35201 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Vander Released
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
good point all.  Vander is a great shooter & should change nothing.  wow

Oh brother...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
What does his shooting percentage show for the last 3 years? I believe they went up big last year. That could mean he did in fact tweak it.

How dare you let logic get in the way of a good narrative?!?!?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
I've enjoyed the fun back-and-forth, guys. Thanks.

And you know what? None of it changes Vander's situation: He isn't good enough to play in the NBA.

A little too short and slight, not quite good enough shot or handle, just good enough to be considered, not quite good enough to make the roster of the league's worst team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2013, 06:33:28 AM »
How dare you let logic get in the way of a good narrative?!?!?
Except it's not logical. His shooting percentage went up because his shot selection improved with increased confidence (strength and FT%) and maturity. His shooting ability didn't magically materialize. He's still a very poor shooter. Why even argue that point? This is the same argument people used to make about James. Some people are just crappy shooters.

I happen to think Juan is a good shooter and expect his shooting percentages to rise. Not because of any "tweaks" but because he's an upper classman, has more confidence and his role has changed a bit.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 07:04:09 AM »
Except it's not logical. His shooting percentage went up because his shot selection improved with increased confidence (strength and FT%) and maturity. His shooting ability didn't magically materialize. He's still a very poor shooter. Why even argue that point? This is the same argument people used to make about James. Some people are just crappy shooters.

Yeah, that's right, you like the Oz argument. He just went to the Wizard and magically found his shot. Because that's logical  ::)

As has been stated by numerous people on here, if you didn't notice the differences in Vander's shot, you simply weren't paying attention.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »

I happen to think Juan is a good shooter and expect his shooting percentages to rise. Not because of any "tweaks" but because he's an upper classman, has more confidence and his role has changed a bit.

His shooting improved during his time at MU. That doesn't mean that he became a lights out shooter. That doesn't even mean that he became a good shooter. That means that his shooting, both form and results, got better.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »
Honest question, PRN, what do you think Buzz and the rest of the staff get paid for? Are they just recruiters and babysitters? You seem to think these guys will get better simply on the basis of getting older. That Vander becoming a Big East POY candidate was simply a natural process of maturation. So if the coaching had nothing to do with it, as you infer with your throwaway "confidence" comments, why pay these guys? Clearly any coach would have made Jae Crowder an All-American, turned Chris Otule into a bonafide starting center, or Vander into a star. Why not pay some schmuck $100k? Buzz is clearly overpaid.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 07:30:19 AM »
Hate to hijack this thread back to current events... twittertracker...

@gonzalobedia: @AdamZagoria Kevin Parrom (Arizona) signed with Cherkasy (Ukraine) and Vander Blue (Marquette) signed with Maccabi Rishon (Israel)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »

@gonzalobedia: @AdamZagoria Kevin Parrom (Arizona) signed with Cherkasy (Ukraine) and Vander Blue (Marquette) signed with Maccabi Rishon (Israel)

Mark your calendars....January 12, 2014....Vander Blue v. Niv Berkowitz.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »

Going to Israel, that is awesome, maybe he will get some religious training over there and convert to Judaism, as you know Jesus was a jew.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2013, 08:26:24 AM »
Going to Israel, that is awesome, maybe he will get some religious training over there and convert to Judaism, as you know Jesus was a jew.

To put a bow on this, did you know the word Jew is not allowed in Scrabble?  Oy vei

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:47 AM »

Looks like everyone was wrong saying he was going to end up in Europe
Bring back FFP!!!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
To put a bow on this, did you know the word Jew is not allowed in Scrabble?  Oy vei

OY vei, is right, never new that, why?  Jew is not considered a word, news to me.  I am going to have to ban Scrabble from my house.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »
OY vei, is right, never new that, why?  Jew is not considered a word, news to me.  I am going to have to ban Scrabble from my house.

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/124927/why-jew-and-goy-are-not-scrabble-words

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
I think it is considered a proper noun. Jewish and Christian not allowed either.
MU15

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »

It's not allowed in Words with Friends, either.  But Nazi is.  Go figure.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
It's not allowed in Words with Friends, either.  But Nazi is.  Go figure.

Yeah, that's how I found out.  I don't play Scrabble, but will play Words With Friends.  When I tried entering the word, it wouldn't allow it.  WTF. So I did a little research, and found the history behind it.  All it takes is one person.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »

Hope he gets paid, gets to play a lot of point, and is able to extend his range. Buycks should be his mentor.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
His shooting improved during his time at MU. That doesn't mean that he became a lights out shooter. That doesn't even mean that he became a good shooter. That means that his shooting, both form and results, got better.

He was one of the best midrange shooters in college hoops last year. Not just above average, one of the absolute best. Paint Touches had an excellent breakdown of where he stood in that regard. Does only 3 point shooting count when considering whether or not someone is a good shooter?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
Hope he gets paid, gets to play a lot of point, and is able to extend his range. Buycks should be his mentor.

The Israeli Super League is one of the top leagues abroad, up there with (and probably just behind) Spain, France, and Greece.  Coming out of an NBA roster, Vander will be paid pretty well and he'll have good competition.  The list of players transitioning from the league back to the NBA is fairly substantial.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »
The Israeli Super League is one of the top leagues abroad, up there with (and probably just behind) Spain, France, and Greece.  Coming out of an NBA roster, Vander will be paid pretty well and he'll have good competition.  The list of players transitioning from the league back to the NBA is fairly substantial.

Thanks, good info

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »
He was one of the best midrange shooters in college hoops last year. Not just above average, one of the absolute best. Paint Touches had an excellent breakdown of where he stood in that regard. Does only 3 point shooting count when considering whether or not someone is a good shooter?

I didn't phrase that very well. I meant that an improvement in one's shot doesn't necessarily mean that player became a good shooter. It simply means there was improvement. Wasn't supposed to be specific to Blue, but it read that way.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:19:54 AM by MerrittsMustache »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Honest question, PRN, what do you think Buzz and the rest of the staff get paid for? Are they just recruiters and babysitters? You seem to think these guys will get better simply on the basis of getting older. That Vander becoming a Big East POY candidate was simply a natural process of maturation. So if the coaching had nothing to do with it, as you infer with your throwaway "confidence" comments, why pay these guys? Clearly any coach would have made Jae Crowder an All-American, turned Chris Otule into a bonafide starting center, or Vander into a star. Why not pay some schmuck $100k? Buzz is clearly overpaid.
Yes, I think Vander becoming a BE POY candidates was a process of maturation. It certainly wasn't about becoming a better shooter.

Not sure where your Buzz comments come from. Are you suggesting he's some kind of shooting coach? He's paid to recruit, to reflect well on the university and field a good basketball team. When you recruit talented players...like Vander and Jae...his job is to push them to become the players he believes they can be. That involves in instilling confidence (through repetitions and strength), maturity (basketball-wise and life-wise) and improving their knowledge of what's going on in the team framework. Jae and Vander were good players when they got here, especially Jae. Their improvement is on them, not Buzz. He (and MU) simply gave them the opportunity and atmosphere to succeed.

Incidentally, I love Chris, but anybody his size who can't become a bonafide starting center after 6 years is in the wrong sport. Again, maturity, confidence and hard work. Buzz didn't make him what he is. Chris had it in him all along. Buzz, and the fact that he's in a division 1 basketball program, brought it out.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
Yes, I think Vander becoming a BE POY candidates was a process of maturation. It certainly wasn't about becoming a better shooter.

Not sure where your Buzz comments come from. Are you suggesting he's some kind of shooting coach? He's paid to recruit, to reflect well on the university and field a good basketball team. When you recruit talented players...like Vander and Jae...his job is to push them to become the players he believes they can be. That involves in instilling confidence (through repetitions and strength), maturity (basketball-wise and life-wise) and improving their knowledge of what's going on in the team framework. Jae and Vander were good players when they got here, especially Jae. Their improvement is on them, not Buzz. He (and MU) simply gave them the opportunity and atmosphere to succeed.

Incidentally, I love Chris, but anybody his size who can't become a bonafide starting center after 6 years is in the wrong sport. Again, maturity, confidence and hard work. Buzz didn't make him what he is. Chris had it in him all along. Buzz, and the fact that he's in a division 1 basketball program, brought it out.

Should this post be in teal?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
Looks like everyone was wrong saying he was going to end up in Europe

Why is this in teal? He isn't going to Europe.
We Are Marquette

feedback