Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Released  (Read 35202 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Vander Released
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
Does anyone have any infor yet on his contract in Israel?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
Why even argue that point?

Rican

This is your most salient point. Some people here have a pathological need to be "right," despite the fact they are offering nothing more than opinion. Shallow lives don't require much water to fill the pond.

Death on call

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

Mark your calendars....January 12, 2014....Vander Blue v. Niv Berkowitz.

November 10 and January 26 - Vander Blue v David Cubillan

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
Yes, I think Vander becoming a BE POY candidates was a process of maturation. It certainly wasn't about becoming a better shooter.

Not sure where your Buzz comments come from. Are you suggesting he's some kind of shooting coach? He's paid to recruit, to reflect well on the university and field a good basketball team. When you recruit talented players...like Vander and Jae...his job is to push them to become the players he believes they can be. That involves in instilling confidence (through repetitions, strength AND TECHNIQUE), maturity (basketball-wise and life-wise) and improving their knowledge of what's going on in the team framework. Jae and Vander were good players when they got here, especially Jae. Their improvement is on them, not Buzz. He (and MU) simply gave them the opportunity and atmosphere to succeed.

Incidentally, I love Chris, but anybody his size who can't become a bonafide starting center after 6 years is in the wrong sport. Again, maturity, confidence and hard work. Buzz didn't make him what he is. Chris had it in him all along. Buzz, and the fact that he's in a division 1 basketball program, brought it out.

Buzz is a detail oriented guy. We know that.  

They may not kill hours of practice time with it, but the coaches are certainly giving guys specific drills for individual work-outs, technique and skill building. That's the entire point of individual workouts. To work of weaknesses and refine skills/technique.

It's part of player development. In theory, every player is going to be a better shooter as a senior for the reasons PRN listed, and because their skills and technique have been refined.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2013, 02:38:22 PM »
Except it's not logical. His shooting percentage went up because his shot selection improved...

I mostly agree with you, but I sure as heck don;t think Vander Blue's shot selection improved as he got older.  When he was a freshman, he didn't shoot unless he had a layup (contested or otherwise) or was so wide open that it was ridiculous not to shoot.  And he still missed them like crazy.

I agree that he is nothing like a good shooter, but he was a miserable shooter as a freshman, because he took very high percentage shots and made a very low percentage of them.  So going from miserable to OK is improvement.  Now, I don't watch games with an eye on shooting form, so I can't say WHY he was a better shooter, just that he was.  His improvement has to be some combination of hard work and technique.  This thread has devolved into an argument over the relative precentages of hard work and technique.  I guess the theory is that if it was mostly due to hard work, then there is a ceiling on what his shooting percetange would be unless he overhauls his technique. 

My guess is that he has always worked really hard and doesn't have it in him to be a great shooter or it would have manifested itself by now.  Just like Steve Novak doesn't have it in him to be a great leaper.  So the question is can he improve his shooting enough to be a viable NBA guy?  I doubt it, but it is not impossible.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »
Yes, I think Vander becoming a BE POY candidates was a process of maturation. It certainly wasn't about becoming a better shooter.

Not sure where your Buzz comments come from. Are you suggesting he's some kind of shooting coach? He's paid to recruit, to reflect well on the university and field a good basketball team. When you recruit talented players...like Vander and Jae...his job is to push them to become the players he believes they can be. That involves in instilling confidence (through repetitions and strength), maturity (basketball-wise and life-wise) and improving their knowledge of what's going on in the team framework. Jae and Vander were good players when they got here, especially Jae. Their improvement is on them, not Buzz. He (and MU) simply gave them the opportunity and atmosphere to succeed.

Incidentally, I love Chris, but anybody his size who can't become a bonafide starting center after 6 years is in the wrong sport. Again, maturity, confidence and hard work. Buzz didn't make him what he is. Chris had it in him all along. Buzz, and the fact that he's in a division 1 basketball program, brought it out.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »
http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/124927/why-jew-and-goy-are-not-scrabble-words

Chico, did not earlier have a chance to read the blog sent, very interesting.  Thanks.  Of course, goy, is a yiddish term for non-jew

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
To put a bow on this, did you know the word Jew is not allowed in Scrabble?  Oy vei

How the hell did you know this? That has to be one of the most obscure nuggets...

Death on call