Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Travon Bunch  (Read 57821 times)

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: Travon Bunch
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »
They could not have guarded CO when he was a freshman wearing a cast.     Part of the Majerus-Dukiet transitional era.     (shudder)
And don't dis Chris.    Second best MU big of the last decade, and the best defensive big. 

I don't mean to dis CO. I remember reading a article last year about how they had to slow down the offense just to get him involved, because of his eye. It seems counter-productive to what for this guy to solidly post to get him the ball, especially when his post production is nowhere near DG. I think bigs that could catch and finish in multiple situations (fast breaks, bullet passes, tips, etc.) would be a little better. Like I said, I don't know Mueller or the other guy or how bad they were.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »
Novak was 6'10'' and led the team in rebounding when he was a Sr. No he did not play the 5. Not sure what the real definition of a big is other than maybe 6'8" an plays mainly inside.

By the way some people now say Crowder is 6' 5". He did play inside however. Wilson--who knows. Some on this board say he can play some point.

And in answer to your question: Wrong!

Steve also led the team in 3pters. Not many "bigs" are jacking up 259 3pt attempts per season. Steve is a stretch 4. Just like Jae. Just like Jamil. You could also call them a "combo forward" if you wanted. Steve Taylor might also be developing in the same manner.

If you want to talk about true post players (guys who score points in the post, and make a defensive impact in the post), then you have to exclude these guys.

If you just want to talk about guys who play "4" or "5", then you have to include them.

I know this is a bunch of semantics, but really, I think it's important to set the parameters clearly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
In a related note, I truly believe that Buzz could win a NC without a true big and with 3 stretch 4's rotating between the ostensible 4 and 5 positions, especially if they can make 3's.   As a matter of fact, my personal dream team plays a 9 man rotation.    2 pgs, 3 stretch 4's in the 6'8-6'10 range, and 4 switchables between 6'4 and 6'7.    Buzz could win a NC with that.

For example, give me these MU players from the last 5 years as a nine man rotation and a NC would be in the bag.  
Butler, Lazar, Jae, JWilson, Wes, DJO, Blue, DJames, and Buycks.     No one over 6'7.   But those 9, playing like they did in their final years at MU, wins it all.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:19:43 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »
In a related note, I truly believe that Buzz could win a NC without a true big and with 3 stretch 4's rotating between the ostensible 4 and 5 positions, especially if they can make 3's.   As a matter of fact, my personal dream team plays a 9 man rotation.    2 pgs, 3 stretch 4's in the 6'8-6'10 range, and 4 switchables between 6'4 and 6'7.    Buzz could win a NC with that.

For example, give me these MU players from the last 5 years as a nine man rotation and a NC would be in the bag. 
Butler, Lazar, Jae, JWilson, Wes, DJO, Blue, DJames, and Junior.     No one over 6'7.   But those 9, playing like they did in their final years at MU, wins it all. 

kinda similar to the philosophy behind the Miami Heat roster makeup. before you say it, yes, i realize lebron is on the heat and not at marquette.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
In a related note, I truly believe that Buzz could win a NC without a true big and with 3 stretch 4's rotating between the ostensible 4 and 5 positions, especially if they can make 3's.   As a matter of fact, my personal dream team plays a 9 man rotation.    2 pgs, 3 stretch 4's in the 6'8-6'10 range, and 4 switchables between 6'4 and 6'7.    Buzz could win a NC with that.

Butler, Lazar, Jae, JWilson, Wes, DJO, Blue, DJames, and Buycks.     No one over 6'7.   But those 9, playing like they did in their final years at MU, wins it all. 
That would not do it....it might get to the Final Four but not win it....come on now. I would atleast have to have Dwight Burke or Ousmane Barro in there and definitely Novak.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
Novak is outside the self-imposed 5 year window, as is Ooze.   Actually, I am wondering if you forgot the teal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »
Butler, Lazar, Jae, JWilson, Wes, DJO, Blue, DJames, and Buycks.     No one over 6'7.   But those 9, playing like they did in their final years at MU, wins it all.  

They'd certainly be a strong contender, though I'm not sure I'd pick Buycks. He may be in the NBA, but I honestly think I'd take Acker as a senior over Buycks. It'd give us a pair of midget PGs, but Acker was ridiculously reliable from long range, had an incredible 3:1 A:T ratio, and only 3 times turned the ball over more than 2 times (and never once more than 4). If not for DJ's defense, on that team you could make an argument for Acker as a senior starting at the PG position.

For fun...my starting 5:

C Lazar Hayward
PF Jae Crowder
SF Wesley Matthews
SG Vander Blue
PG Dominic James

Bench: Jimmy Butler, DJO, Jamil Wilson, Maurice Acker

Wes edges JFB for the starting spot because he was a more dynamic scorer, and with Hayward and Crowder we have great low-post defense. I also think Jimmy is better as the switchblade type player that can spell any of the starting 3. Van edges DJO because of size and defense. While DJO was the better shooter and scorer, we have plenty of options for both throughout the lineup, so Blue starts over the guy he replaced.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
I chose Buycks because (a) he could back up at the point (b) could play SG next to DJ and (C) has the size to switch on defense.     I originally had Cadougan and considered Acker, but both seemed too one-dimensional to me.     

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »

R.I.F.  I never said that. 
Sorry Studley--Jan. 23, 2011 post (look it up): "Otule is our best big man", and you were including Gardner. Now that we have cleared that up, let's denigrate your basketball knowledge. Why not end it instead of personal attacks?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
Steve also led the team in 3pters. Not many "bigs" are jacking up 259 3pt attempts per season. Steve is a stretch 4. Just like Jae. Just like Jamil. You could also call them a "combo forward" if you wanted. Steve Taylor might also be developing in the same manner.

If you want to talk about true post players (guys who score points in the post, and make a defensive impact in the post), then you have to exclude these guys.

If you just want to talk about guys who play "4" or "5", then you have to include them.

I know this is a bunch of semantics, but really, I think it's important to set the parameters clearly.
OK--then you best exclude Otule--because at about a 5 point career average, he is not a guy that scores points in the post--unless you consider that as scoring bunches in the post. You are right, it is a bunch of semantics.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
OK--then you best exclude Otule--because at about a 5 point career average, he is not a guy that scores points in the post--unless you consider that as scoring bunches in the post. You are right, it is a bunch of semantics.

It's not about the VOLUME of scoring, it's about WHERE the player does his scoring, and where he spends his time on offense & defense.

And yes, it's semantics, but if you want to have a real conversation and evaluation of MU's post players, you need to set the parameters correctly. Either you incorrectly listed Novak as a post player... OR you omitted Jae and Jamil Wilson.

It's not that difficult.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
I don't mean to dis CO. I remember reading a article last year about how they had to slow down the offense just to get him involved, because of his eye. It seems counter-productive to what for this guy to solidly post to get him the ball, especially when his post production is nowhere near DG. I think bigs that could catch and finish in multiple situations (fast breaks, bullet passes, tips, etc.) would be a little better. Like I said, I don't know Mueller or the other guy or how bad they were.

Didn't see that article, but a good coach and a good team plays to the team's strengths and mitigates the weaknesses.  If MU is a better team if they play a bit slower when Otule is on the court, then you'd have to be an idiot not to slow the tempo down.  You don't need the best guy at every position, you need the best gameplan for the talent you have.  For as much as we criticize Bo and the molasses-envy offense they play, the guy sure knows how to win with corn-fed nobodies.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
Back to travon bunch

Future150.com 1st Team: Lance Tejada, Dominic Magee, Kareem Wright, Mike Davis Jr., Terry Holt, Jahmeel Watts, Tyrell Clary, Dwain Whitfield, Travon Bunch
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
God bless Navy Pecker Checkers, Doc! The only reason I'm here today is because a random Black Hawk with four fully equipped Navy Corpsmen happened to be within 7 minutes of our pos after our team got hit. They stabilized two of us during the ride to Bagram. I don't recall a second of it but I'll never forget them. 

did you get shot down in the 'Stan?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
Didn't see that article, but a good coach and a good team plays to the team's strengths and mitigates the weaknesses.  If MU is a better team if they play a bit slower when Otule is on the court, then you'd have to be an idiot not to slow the tempo down.  You don't need the best guy at every position, you need the best gameplan for the talent you have.  For as much as we criticize Bo and the molasses-envy offense they play, the guy sure knows how to win with corn-fed nobodies.
They certainly had to play slower at the beginning of the year, when he was basically dragging his leg up and down the court. By the end of the year, I do not think they had to wait for him any more than they had to wait for Gardner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
did you get shot down in the 'Stan?

I was in AFSOC as a Special Tactics Air Liaison Officer. We went behind the lines to schwack bad guys to provide precision delivery of lethal air power in either a direct support, interdiction, or ISR role . Teams consist of fighter pilots, communicators, Rangers, Seals, and Force Recon shooters. I caught a couple AK rounds in the back. Bad day in Jalalabad.

Death on call

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
What's the latest on Bunch?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
What's the latest on Bunch?

Highly unlikely.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
Sorry Studley--Jan. 23, 2011 post (look it up): "Otule is our best big man", and you were including Gardner. Now that we have cleared that up, let's denigrate your basketball knowledge. Why not end it instead of personal attacks?

LOL....yes you are correct.  Back in January of DG's freshman year I did say that.

And I was right then.

Good think he improved.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
I was in AFSOC as a Special Tactics Air Liaison Officer. We went behind the lines to schwack bad guys to provide precision delivery of lethal air power in either a direct support, interdiction, or ISR role . Teams consist of fighter pilots, communicators, Rangers, Seals, and Force Recon shooters. I caught a couple AK rounds in the back. Bad day in Jalalabad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_terminal_attack_controller

First picture: Is it typical for the other guy to be taking pictures while you're directing traffic?  If so, it's no wonder you got shot in the back.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
Has there been any sign that Buzz and staff have even talked to Bunch in the past year?  Last thing I heard about him pertaining to Marquette was that he was at Marquette Madness...in 2012

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
Has there been any sign that Buzz and staff have even talked to Bunch in the past year?  Last thing I heard about him pertaining to Marquette was that he was at Marquette Madness...in 2012

No.  Kenosha Warrior said as such.  I don't think MU has much if any interest.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2013, 04:10:01 PM »

No.  Kenosha Warrior said as such.  I don't think MU has much if any interest.

I agree that we haven't had interest. But that could change. Bunch was named first team at future150s camp and more recruiting experts have been mentioning him. If his stock rises, Buzz could decide to revisit his recruitment.

That being said, Buzz has been much more interested in Satchel Pierce and I think he is the more likely commit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
I simply don't think so.  Buzz doesn't base his recruiting off rankings.  He bases off what he sees in a player.  Unless the guy completely blows up this HS season, we have seen that he has already has feelers out for other potential bigs.  Bunch isn't in that group.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_terminal_attack_controller

First picture: Is it typical for the other guy to be taking pictures while you're directing traffic?  If so, it's no wonder you got shot in the back.

That pic isn't very representative of AFSOC ops. Those guys are in a TOC directing CAS in a set piece operation. Our teams are almost always independent and covert.

Death on call

feedback