[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Team Preview: Marquette  (Read 23257 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: ESPN Team Preview: Marquette
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »
It's a guards game, never underestimate the impact of solid guards.  The current crop is unproven.  Lots of upside, lots of unknowns.  That being said, our guards last year at times were not very consistent for my taste.  Fair article IMO.

Agreed.

If our shooting guards are productive and, especially, if our PGs can efficiently create for themselves and others, we will have an outstanding season. If not, there will be plenty of frustrations for us.

As for not having NBA-level talent, that's dead on. Jamil is borderline, the freshmen have proven nothing and nobody else is close.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
I think people are seriously underestimating the impact Jameel McKay will have on the team. I fully expect him to start, play about 20-25 minutes and be a rebounding machine.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »
I think people are seriously underestimating the impact Jameel McKay will have on the team. I fully expect him to start, play about 20-25 minutes and be a rebounding machine.

Start over who exactly? I mean not over Jamil, not over Otule and if Buzz feels that Gardner's trimmed down enough to play PF I fully expect Gardner to start. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
Agreed.

If our shooting guards are productive and, especially, if our PGs can efficiently create for themselves and others, we will have an outstanding season. If not, there will be plenty of frustrations for us.

As for not having NBA-level talent, that's dead on. Jamil is borderline, the freshmen have proven nothing and nobody else is close.

First, who knew, I agree with JayBee.  Last time that happened we testified in court about ZFB's animal peccadillos.  Next, Jamil will be a lottery pick.  He has worked all summer on his jumper.  Gone is the moon ball.  He has <highly> impressed the NBA scouts at summer camps with his athleticism. AIA camp surprised a number of them.

Next, Gardner has made every preseason All-American team.  How is he not on the NBA radar?  More so, how is Todd not just on the DNA?  They are tracking both.  And yes, Willie, even Otule.

Love John Daw.  Kid can shoot, but the small town adjustment will take time.  Unlike Jamal but like Davante, the kid gets better with competition. 

Juan, Du and Burton will surprise the out-of-towners commenting here.  Juan is really improved.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
Start over who exactly? I mean not over Jamil, not over Otule and if Buzz feels that Gardner's trimmed down enough to play PF I fully expect Gardner to start. 

I doubt Gardner and Otule will both start. I'm not sure who will start at shooting guard, but I think the rest of the starting lineup will look like this:

PG: Derrick Wilson
SG: ?
(S)F: Jamil Wilson
(P)F: Jameel McKay
C: Chris Otule

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
First, who knew, I agree with JayBee.  Last time that happened we testified in court about ZFB's animal peccadillos.  Next, Jamil will be a lottery pick.  He has worked all summer on his jumper.  Gone is the moon ball.  He has <highly> impressed the NBA scouts at summer camps with his athleticism. AIA camp surprised a number of them.

Next, Gardner has made every preseason All-American team.  How is he not on the NBA radar?  More so, how is Todd not just on the DNA?  They are tracking both.  And yes, Willie, even Otule.

Love John Daw.  Kid can shoot, but the small town adjustment will take time.  Unlike Jamal but like Davante, the kid gets better with competition. 

Juan, Du and Burton will surprise the out-of-towners commenting here.  Juan is really improved.

All great to hear.....how's the guard play?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
All great to hear.....how's the guard play?

Well, it's a big MAN's game, but I am sure Todd is ready. Juan is vastly improved as a 2/3.  DuWilson is key and I don't trust freshman...bit he adds a dimension not seen in a years.  Burton= Stud.  You SoCals will get to see this early season in the DTV\Scoop tent.  How are the Lakefront tapper installs coming on the back patio?

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »

PG: Derrick Wilson
SG: ?
(S)F: Jamil Wilson
(P)F: Jameel McKay
C: Chris Otule
That  would be a  pretty tall lineup. I like it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:25 PM »
Well, it's a big MAN's game, but I am sure Todd is ready. Juan is vastly improved as a 2/3.  DuWilson is key and I don't trust freshman...bit he adds a dimension not seen in a years.  Burton= Stud.  You SoCals will get to see this early season in the DTV\Scoop tent.  How are the Lakefront tapper installs coming on the back patio?

It's a guards game at the college level, so I'm glad to hear they are progressing.  MU will go as far as our guards take us.  Hoping to see a few games, my son was just invited to a select team that will play over Thanksgiving holiday.  I may have an easier time watching them play in Tempe than I do less than 10 miles from mi casa over the holiday.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
If it's a gaurds game how is it that we were good in 2009-10 cause Hayward led us... and in 2010-11 cause Butler led us... and in 2011-12 I know we had DJO but we were led by Crowder.  It kinda seems to me like it's a forwards game.  I'll be the first to say typical centers can be overrated in the college game but it seems like Buzz likes to rely on forwards. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

raul

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »
McKay and J.Wilson on the floor at the same time is a nice forward combo if Buzz relies heavily on forwards.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:54 AM »

+1. I think he will have the most immediate impact of any of our newcomers. I also expect him to be our star his senior year.

As for starting lineups, I think we will have another year where the starters, and the players who get the most minutes are two different groups of people. My projection is:

Starting Lineup
1: De Wilson
2: Anderson
3: J Wilson
4: McKay
5: Otule

(Loving the tall lineup, btw)

Players who get the most minutes at each postion
1: Du Wilson
2: JJJ
3: J Wilson
4: McKay
5: Gardner

I have no trust for Mayo's game whatsoever, I hope that I am proven wrong. And I am very optimistic about Taylor, but I think he will be stuck with backup duty with us being so stacked at forward. Next season will be his time to shine. Also, I love Burton's potential but I am higher on JJJ and I think he gets buried underneath all the taller switchables that we have. We have height this season and Buzz will want to use it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:35 AM »

I have no trust for Mayo's game whatsoever, I hope that I am proven wrong. And I am very optimistic about Taylor, but I think he will be stuck with backup duty with us being so stacked at forward. Next season will be his time to shine. Also, I love Burton's potential but I am higher on JJJ and I think he gets buried underneath all the taller switchables that we have. We have height this season and Buzz will want to use it.

I think you're right. The only thing I might change is Anderson in the starting lineup -- it's certainly possible that he will, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake Thomas out there to spread the floor with such a tall lineup. Anderson and Gardner coming off the bench with one or two of the freshman would also provide experience to that lineup. Honestly though, anything can happen at the two position, whether it's Anderson, JJJ, Thomas, Mayo, or even Burton starting/playing the most minutes.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »
I think you're right. The only thing I might change is Anderson in the starting lineup -- it's certainly possible that he will, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake Thomas out there to spread the floor with such a tall lineup. Anderson and Gardner coming off the bench with one or two of the freshman would also provide experience to that lineup. Honestly though, anything can happen at the two position, whether it's Anderson, JJJ, Thomas, Mayo, or even Burton starting/playing the most minutes.
I disagree on all counts....Todd Mayo will blow up this year. Bank on it. He will be the most improved player on this team they won't be able to keep off the floor. And I think you leave Juan Anderson the second guy who can make a big leap in the starting lineup.

Todd will have the extra support of his family like OJ and his mother at games being here with him and will really relax him and his game will blossom big time.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 02:09:07 AM »
McKay and J.Wilson on the floor at the same time is a nice forward combo if Buzz relies heavily on forwards.
You start Todd Mayo...period.

I know they probably won't but I would.

PG Derrick Wilson
SG Todd Mayo
SF  Juan Anderson
PF  Jamil Wilson
C   Devante Gardner

Then you can have a quick hook if things do not work out.
Bring in a few of those diaper dandies...if you want.

Otule {Obvious choice up front to relieve Devante}
JJJ  {Put at SG. Switch Mayo over to PG if he is shooting well.}
Duane Wilson {If Mayo is struggling throw in Duane}
J. McKay {I want McKay and Taylor to be a duo up front...}
S. Taylor {He complements McKay well and they should be a pair}
D. Burton
J. Thomas

None of this matters because Buzz plays everyone and uses mass substitutions and he shuffles guys in and out on each dead ball and possession, but I think some guy play better with others.

I like Mayo and JJJ on the court when we need points...I like McKay and S. Taylor together on the court at the same time as JJJ if they can and Juan and Jamil and Derrick and whoever is hot as the other.

Burton to me is a mystery...on how they will use him. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:15:44 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 02:18:01 AM »

PG Derrick Wilson
SG Todd Mayo
SF  Juan Anderson
PF  Jamil Wilson
C   Devante Gardner

No chance Davante starts. Buzz will have Otule out there to win the tip.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 02:26:25 AM »
not having NBA talent....get the heck outta here!!!!

This team has more NBA talent then any team they have had here in years if they stay 4 years! Give me a break!

Jamil Wilson has NBA size and skill, so does Mayo with a big year and the others need to develop more and use all of their eligibility.

If Juan's shot starts to fall like it can and his handle is tighten up and on point...then look out! He is coach able, picks up things well and real quick and looks to be a great teammate and glue guy.

Because he can defend, is long, and active and is a player that works hard and loves to compete there is a place for him. He reminds me a lot of Lazar Hayward.

But the no hesitation confidence in his shot and drive to the basket is key. I want to see the dog in him and for him to be assertive more. It's all there.

But he has the hops and great hands and feet and moves well laterally and gets up quick on the rebound and is a legit 6'6 and can guard 2-3 positions. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »
This great analysis can apply to nearly every college basketball team. OMG, a college team has new players and lost some players? They're going to have to find a way "to play together" and "as a team".

EDIT: This article at least goes in-depth detail at least about this, but this kind of transition is normal.
Find a way to mesh together???? Ah, helloooooo that is what they have been doing here at Marquette for the last 10 years better in college basketball then any team in the country!

First under Tom Crean and carried over with Buzz...what the heck are they talking about?There is an MU 'Brand' of hoops.

What are they looking at!? They have built a sound and solid reputation here for "meshing their teams together" and of practicing and playing hard and tough.

Who wrote this? Let me leave this place before I pop! LOL.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 02:42:30 AM »
"a roster that doesn't feature any obvious NBA-level talent"?

Are you kidding me? Jamil & JJJ at least (from raw talent level)... I don't understand how even a non-MU fan wouldn't see them as being NBA-level talent.

Agree that JJJ is unproven (obviously)

Part of "NBA-level talent" is the ability to turn physical gifts into outstanding performance on the court on a regular basis. Jamil has never done that.

You could make an argument that Gardner's weird ability to get shots to fall regardless of how and where he shoots it is a talent that's more ready for the NBA than anything that Jamil has shown in his two years at MU.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 04:14:05 AM »

Since 2007, eight seniors have been drafted in the Lottery. Pretty tall order. Not saying he won't be drafted, perhaps even in the first round, but saying he'll be drafted in the top 14 in what should be the deepest draft since 2003 may be a stretch.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 06:14:55 AM »
Since 2007, eight seniors have been drafted in the Lottery. Pretty tall order. Not saying he won't be drafted, perhaps even in the first round, but saying he'll be drafted in the top 14 in what should be the deepest draft since 2003 may be a stretch.

Listen, it is a stretch claim, but as I stated this summer, Jamil has the potential to be a "five tool guy".  If, and if it is a big if, he can consistently take over games like we all see in him, the NBA will be intrigued, mainly because it is a league that has gotten smaller in recent years.  Scouts fall in love with potential, tend to go with bigs here, but if he dominates like at the end of the Davidson game, don't discount.  He is starting to turn heads.

Now has he moved past a Rodney Hood or Doug McDermott?  No. He will have to show it on the floor.  The Creighton games, 3-5 potentially, will be well attended.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 06:38:55 AM »
The hoop is 10 ft. off the ground so its a big man's game. Not hard to comprehend.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »
not having NBA talent....get the heck outta here!!!!

This team has more NBA talent then any team they have had here in years if they stay 4 years! Give me a break!

Jamil Wilson has NBA size and skill, so does Mayo with a big year and the others need to develop more and use all of their eligibility.

If Juan's shot starts to fall like it can and his handle is tighten up and on point...then look out! He is coach able, picks up things well and real quick and looks to be a great teammate and glue guy.

Because he can defend, is long, and active and is a player that works hard and loves to compete there is a place for him. He reminds me a lot of Lazar Hayward.

But the no hesitation confidence in his shot and drive to the basket is key. I want to see the dog in him and for him to be assertive more. It's all there.

But he has the hops and great hands and feet and moves well laterally and gets up quick on the rebound and is a legit 6'6 and can guard 2-3 positions. 

OK ... I'm not going to get in to a debate about this. If you want to believe that guys who averaged fewer than 15 mins last season are NBA material, that is your prerogative.

I certainly hope you are right about Mayo and Juan, because that will mean we're Final Four-bound. I seriously doubt you're right -- I mean, Vander, DJO, Lazar, McNeal, James, Robert Jackson, etc., aren't/weren't NBA material -- but I hope you are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 07:07:37 AM »
Part of "NBA-level talent" is the ability to turn physical gifts into outstanding performance on the court on a regular basis. Jamil has never done that.

You could make an argument that Gardner's weird ability to get shots to fall regardless of how and where he shoots it is a talent that's more ready for the NBA than anything that Jamil has shown in his two years at MU.

Disagreed. From February 6 through the end of the year last year, Jamil averaged 11.9 ppg and was in double-digits scoring in 13 out of 15 games. He also averaged 5.3 rpg (13/15 were 4+ rebounds) and shot well from beyond the arc, 36.8% while making at least 1 three in 13/15 games. If anything, Jamil was our most consistent performer from the beginning of February through the end of the season.

As far as Mayo...I don't see any way he's not a starter. People are still predicting too much for JJJ and Duane Wilson. Maybe they will come in and have great success, but it's an uphill climb for freshmen that just finished their first boot camp. Todd has been here and played significant minutes since he arrived. The only knock on him is that he's older than the average junior, which could be interpreted as "if he was going to make the jump he'd have made it already" but he was behind DJO as a freshman and Blue as a sophomore, two guys that are currently have NBA contracts (how solid, yet to be determined). I fully expect him to get every chance to start. Here's my starting five:

PG De. Wilson (25 mpg)
SG Mayo (25 mpg)
SF J. Wilson (32 mpg)
PF McKay (22 mpg)
C Otule (15 mpg)

And my guess at primary guys off the bench:

Gardner (20 mpg)
Anderson (18 mpg)
Taylor (15 mpg)
Du. Wilson (10 mpg)
Thomas (8 mpg)
Burton (5 mpg)
Johnson (4 mpg)
Dawson (1 mpg)

I think DuWil will play some by necessity, maybe he'll tick that up a couple minutes, but I doubt much. And maybe as the year goes on Burton starts to take more of Thomas' minutes, because physically he's the most ready of the freshmen. But for Johnson, I just don't think his time is now seeing as he's behind Mayo, Jamil, and Anderson, all of whom will likely log heavy minutes. And because we have four solid bigs (Otule, Gardner, McKay, Taylor) it's less likely Buzz will have to push Jamil or Juan to the 4 as often as he did in the past, which won't open up minutes that may have been there for a flex freshman 2/3 in the past.

The only freshman I could see really making a huge uptick from those minutes is DuWil, and then only if Derrick falls on his face. But Buzz will give Derrick every chance to succeed, maybe even to the point where it's a detriment to the team at times. Because at the end of the day, it's less about the seed than it is just getting in, and this team will get in.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »
Gardner will play more than 20 minutes per game.

feedback