[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris suspended for the season  (Read 59920 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Malek Harris suspended for the season
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
I'm in the "In Buzz We Trust" crowd, and i don't think this at all. If I become privy to exactly what Harris was suspended for, I would be happy to offer my opinion on whether or not that Malek should get the opportunity to play for us. Until then, I refuse to condemn a 17 year old kid for an unknown offense.

If you want my opinion on whether or not he should come it depends on the offense:
Weed/alcohol: give him another chance
set a girl's hair on fire (purposefully): no chance
set a girl's hair on fire (on accident): give him another chance
any sort of violent crime: no chance
academics: depends on the severity

Given that I have 0 idea on what Malek did, and it is likely that I will never know, I resort to trusting that Buzz will make the right call for our program.

I agree with every one of your assessments. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »
The idea of protecting a kid's privacy just ends up hurting the kid. It leads to speculation that often is worse than the actual violation. Without being able to disclose what the offense is MU gets a black eye, if they keep the kid. That was the problem I had with the players accused of rape allocation being kept quiet. Even the innocent players on the team looked bad. Given that we might never know what the actual violation was, I think MU politically should let him go. Now, if Harris wants to disclose what he did, I might make a different judgement. However, I do not see that happening so in my opinion he has to  be gone.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
The idea of protecting a kid's privacy just ends up hurting the kid. It leads to speculation that often is worse than the actual violation. Without being able to disclose what the offense is MU gets a black eye, if they keep the kid. That was the problem I had with the players accused of rape allocation being kept quiet. Even the innocent players on the team looked bad. Given that we might never know what the actual violation was, I think MU politically should let him go. Now, if Harris wants to disclose what he did, I might make a different judgement. However, I do not see that happening so in my opinion he has to  be gone.

So, whether or not Harris belongs at MU is dependent upon whether YOU know his offense?
The people who will make the actual decision about whether Harris comes to MU, i.e. Buzz and the administration, will know what his offense was. They probably already know. And they'll make the decision based on that knowledge.

On a side note, Harris is supposed to be taking his "official" to Marquette this upcoming weekend. Will be interesting, and telling, to see if he makes it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:39:54 PM by Pakuni »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
In my mind the Kick'em out crowd is saying. Assuming he did something bad, I don't want him.

The Trust Buzz crowd is basically saying I hope I don't have to give an opinion on whether I would want to actually do anything if he actually did something and I'm hoping this all goes away and I don't have to say what I would do.

Basically the Trust Buzz crowd needs to read any post from the Kick'em out crowd with "If this is true and he really did something bad then ....." and fill in their post after that. No one is advocating he have his scholarship revoked with out getting confirmation of the facts. It's just easier to not say if this turns out to be true every single time. If it turns out to be nothing and he's playing 2 games into the season then of course no one wants to revoke his scholarship. The whole discussion is founded on the hypothetical that he did something seriously wrong. The Trust Buzz crowd just doesn't want to engage in meaningful discussion of the issue of bring a player with baggage into a program.

Hoya, Lenny might be upset that you are speaking on behalf of other folks when they are capable of speaking for themselves.  So patronizing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
I agree with every one of your assessments. 

I'm curious for you and TAMU, if it is pot again....would you have zero tolerance of a threepeat at MU?  Or would he get a 4 peat, 5 peat, etc?  I'm just curious when the second chances run out for folks.  By the way, I'm not against second chances, but I am definitely someone that believes 2nd chances are just that, 2nd chances.

Curious where you guys are on it?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
This was his second suspension. A "strike" (if that ONE report is based on fact) doesn't mean a suspension. Referring to two suspensions as "multiple suspensions" or being "suspended over and over again" is over the top. It massages the facts and adds a level of negativity to what is known. You've been doing it for so long (April 8, 2008) it's automatic, part of your "schtick".

LOL....referring to two suspensions as multiple suspensions is over the top?  Oh my God, I'm in the bizarro world.  Definition number 1, not exactly some obscure one. 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/multiple

Are you sure you didn't go to Chicago State or UW Waukesha?  

More than one is multiple.  Weird, if you look up articles of "multiple Super Bowl winning QBs" they list guys that won two.  If you look up articles of actors that won multiple Oscars, they list actors with only two.   But no, you have the new definition and MULTIPLE is no longer more than one, it apparently MORE THAN TWO....Lenny's Dictionary, get it at Lenny's house only now on sale for $0.99.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:59:00 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
I'm curious for you and TAMU, if it is pot again....would you have zero tolerance of a threepeat at MU?  Or would he get a 4 peat, 5 peat, etc?  I'm just curious when the second chances run out for folks.  By the way, I'm not against second chances, but I am definitely someone that believes 2nd chances are just that, 2nd chances.

You didn't specifically ask me, but I think the obvious answer is to treat him as any other Marquette student in that regard. Certainly MU doesn't look into every incoming students' background to learn if they have a prior drug or alcohol offense (thank goodness, in my case) and hold those as prior strikes.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
You didn't specifically ask me, but I think the obvious answer is to treat him as any other Marquette student in that regard. Certainly MU doesn't look into every incoming students' background to learn if they have a prior drug or alcohol offense (thank goodness, in my case) and hold those as prior strikes.

Marquette does look closer at those students getting a full boat though, including St. Ignatius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »

As such, Lenny will be quite upset that you responded.   :D

Knowing that there has been past issues and a suspension which the school does know about, does that change things?  I think that's where it does change things because most students they won't know this information, but in this case they do.  I'm just more curious how many second chances does someone get.  It's a general question.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »
Once again, Harris is not a Marquette student nor does he have to be. Big difference.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:05:26 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »

Similar to Pakuni, treat them as just any other student when he is at MU. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »
Similar to Pakuni, treat them as just any other student when he is at MU. 

http://www.marquette.edu/publicsafety/SRG-Alcohol-Policy.shtml

Pretty vague, could lead to suspension, expulsion, etc..... (depends on how many PPG you average to determine punishment, if any   ;D )

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2013, 03:27:19 PM »
A lot of mental masturbation here. We'll find out how our roster shakes out in due time.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
http://www.marquette.edu/publicsafety/SRG-Alcohol-Policy.shtml

Pretty vague, could lead to suspension, expulsion, etc..... (depends on how many PPG you average to determine punishment, if any   ;D )

He's not here yet so wait till he is here before putting him under MU rules, he is being punished for his current violation, whatever it is.

Also, you act as if basketball players are treated differently than everyone else.  What about if his parents were big donors to the engineering department, or were recognized prominently in promotional materials because of research they did.  

Everything is a case by case basis in life.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
As such, Lenny will be quite upset that you responded.   :D

Knowing that there has been past issues and a suspension which the school does know about, does that change things?  I think that's where it does change things because most students they won't know this information, but in this case they do.  I'm just more curious how many second chances does someone get.  It's a general question.   

I guess I'm unsure of how you define "second chances." Should a screw up one makes in high school follow around a person for life?
In all but extreme circumstances, we give people a reset when they reach adulthood. It's why juvenile records are sealed, grade school records aren't public, etc. Heck, even for adults we allow records to be expunged after a certain point, depending on the offense.

To answer your question, it depends. If Harris committed a serious offense, especially one involving violence or a weapon, he gets zero second chances. If he commits a lesser offense like getting into a fight - hardly unheard of among athletes, even at MU - he gets a second chance. If he did some underage drinking, smoked some weed in high school or cheated on a test, I'm willing to hit the reset button when a kid arrives on campus. Because you can bet he'd be far from alone among his peers in the freshman class when it comes to drinking, smoking and cheating.

I know some want to have a black-and-white, no room for discretion, outlook on things - you know, like five-year rules for evaluating coaches  ;) - but I think the wiser course is to deal with these things on a case-by-case basis.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
LOL....referring to two suspensions as multiple suspensions is over the top?  Oh my God, I'm in the bizarro world.  Definition number 1, not exactly some obscure one. 

More than one is multiple.  Weird, if you look up articles of "multiple Super Bowl winning QBs" they list guys that won two.  If you look up articles of actors that won multiple Oscars, they list actors with only two.   But no, you have the new definition and MULTIPLE is no longer more than one, it apparently MORE THAN TWO....Lenny's Dictionary, get it at Lenny's house only now on sale for $0.99.

Can I get multiple Lenny's Dictionaries at once?  How many would I need to buy for it to be considered multiple?  Thanks for the help.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2013, 03:51:43 PM »
Again, not knowing what the offense was, I don't think the school will treat the situation like they would for just anybody. As has been pointed out, he is in line for a full boat. In addition, these guys are in the spotlight and subjected to
scrutiny that would not accrue to an average student.

By the way, Jajuannaman, what's the problem with septuagenarians?

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
I use to go to school in the same conference as Sandburg, his high school. We had a Code of Conduct that if you did not follow would lead to suspensions. I assume this is a violation of that. Usually code violations are underage drinking or getting into a fight. Also, include would be drug use, cheating, and any criminal charges though much less likely. Last year, he was suspended 11 games, a third of the season for the first violation. So, for the next one it increases to full seasons. I could see him going to a prep school now for a year, since it will be hard to go straight from not playing to D1 basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
Whatever Buzz decides to do, it's fine by me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »

You said he's been suspended "over and over again". If that means twice in your world then you live in a very dim witted one.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
Paint Touches‏ @PaintTouches 2h
Word on 2014 recruit Harris is nothing illegal warranted suspension. Made a mistake. Not indication of who he is. #mubb

If we can trust PT, what Malek did was not illegal.

That rules out assault (a fight or setting someone's hair on fire), smoking pot, underage drinking, reckless driving etc.

So it must have been a school rule that did not violate the law.  And a non-illegal school rule that would not get him kicked out of school (because no one is saying he was kicked out).  This rules out plagualism and cheating on a test as they would normally get you kicked out of school.

What could this be?  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:20:39 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »

This rules out plagualism and cheating on a test as they would normally get you kicked out of school.

Good lord, what kind of high school did you go to?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »
http://sandburg.d230.org/about/code-of-conduct/

Webpage with a link to the PDF describing their code of conduct.    "Nothing Illegal" but something that can get you banned for the season.    Looking through their lists, there are some things that easily fall into that category.   Going to the end and seeing what will end your athletic career is also enlightening.     When I look at those lists and contemplate my high school years..........oy.  Could easily be parallel to what happened to MU players being cited last year for being in a bar and not drinking.   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:48:54 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
If we can trust PT, what Malek did was not illegal.

That rules out assault (a fight or setting someone's hair on fire), smoking pot, underage drinking, reckless driving etc.

So it must have been a school rule that did not violate the law.  And a non-illegal school rule that would not get him kicked out of school (because no one is saying he was kicked out).  This rules out plagualism and cheating on a test as they would normally get you kicked out of school.

What could this be?  Thoughts?

Cheating on a test gets you kicked out of school?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »

Cheating on a test gets you kicked out of school?

Maybe he went to a military school.
He will not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do.

feedback