[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris suspended for the season  (Read 59892 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Malek Harris suspended for the season
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
Nope, and he won't. The two situations aren't even comparable
What was Malek's offense?

He may very well have done something that would cause me to want him nowhere near Marquette. But I'm willing to reserve judgment until we actually know what happened.

A couple more points:

- Paint Touches, which seems to have pretty fair sources at MU, is saying he did nothing illegal. Setting someone's hair on fire is illegal. So, someone's got bad info.

- Roy Schmidt from Illinois Prep Bullseye was asked over Twitter whether Harris still ends up at MU. His reply was "No question about it."  So, either he thinks Buzz is exceptionally lenient or the offense wasn't so significant. (side note: Schmidt also thinks Harris will be heading to a prep school).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
Could it be that some people simply don't want a kid at their school that has been suspended multiple times, including for his entire senior season?  That is a known fact, that he has been suspended multiple times and for his entire season....correct?   I'm just guessing, but that may be what some of those from the "kick him out" crowd are referencing.  Or another way to put it, what the violations are don't matter, the fact he has suspended over and over again and doesn't get the message between the ear lobes is enough for that crowd to say, NO Thanks.

Isn't that an equally logical point of view and is based on facts?

Multiple suspensions? Suspended over and over again? I must have missed a whole bunch of his suspensions. I only know of two.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »
Buzz is trying to recruit better types of kids right now, lets see Harris suspended, the kid from Madtown suspended, not sure that has happened yet.  If he was smoking pot or drinking
is not that big a deal, sure second offense is not good.  But MU can have him on a short leash, drug test every 6 weeks, etc.  Now if he was caught cheating in school or a sexual
mishap of some type, then I would not take him.  Everybody deserves a second change, probably needs some tough love from Buzz.  Not sure how tough Buzz can be that it is in the
best interests for the kid.  He told Todd Mayo to transfer, his mother said he is going to stay here and get his degree or NBA degree.  I am sure the Mayo's are happy that the whole
family is in Milwuakee now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
Multiple suspensions? Suspended over and over again? I must have missed a whole bunch of his suspensions. I only know of two.

Wasn't it you that pulled the dicitionary out the other day?  Multiple = "having more than one part".  One report said it was his third strike.

For the record, I'm not one to say he shouldn't be at MU, I'm merely offering an explanation of why some may not.  Usually you get suspended it is supposed to be a wake up call, like being on probation.....keep clean, don't be stupid, eyes are on you.  You keep doing things to the point you are suspended for an entire season, and you wonder if the message ever gets through.  Some may wonder if it is worth taking on someone like that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »

- Paint Touches, which seems to have pretty fair sources at MU, is saying he did nothing illegal. Setting someone's hair on fire is illegal. So, someone's got bad info.

Smoking dope and drinking are illegal (alcohol for minors) in Illinois too.  The Illinois kids sign pretty restrictive athlete conduct contracts and the penalties are pretty much zero tolerance.  Why?  Lawsuits...

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
What was Malek's offense?

He may very well have done something that would cause me to want him nowhere near Marquette. But I'm willing to reserve judgment until we actually know what happened.

A couple more points:

- Roy Schmidt from Illinois Prep Bullseye was asked over Twitter whether Harris still ends up at MU. His reply was "No question about it."  So, either he thinks Buzz is exceptionally lenient or the offense wasn't so significant. (side note: Schmidt also thinks Harris will be heading to a prep school).

Interesting. Prep school to finish his senior year? Or prep school and reclassify as 2015?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
Setting a girl's hair on fire doesn't necessarily mean that the hair was on her head/that she was wearing the hair

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »
Wasn't it you that pulled the dicitionary out the other day?  Multiple = "having more than one part".  One report said it was his third strike.

Every report I read said second suspension. Nobody reported that this was one of "multiple suspensions" or that he had been "suspended over and over again". That's just you being you- you're not fooling anybody.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »

For the record, I'm not one to say he shouldn't be at MU, I'm merely offering an explanation of why some may not.  Usually you get suspended it is supposed to be a wake up call, like being on probation.....keep clean, don't be stupid, eyes are on you.  You keep doing things to the point you are suspended for an entire season, and you wonder if the message ever gets through.  Some may wonder if it is worth taking on someone like that.

Those who don't want him at MU are more than capable of explaining their reasons - no need to patronize them.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
Also how do we know he wasn't suspended "indefinitely" and that was translated by the "multiple sources" or the Sun-Times as "the entire season."

I take "indefinitely" to mean until a certain set of conditions are met.  That could be the rest of the season, or not.  That's why I want to wait until I hear from an official source what the suspends is.

Also, I too think this is his second suspension.  His first was last season for the first 11 games, or the first semester.  Without knowing anything else, I take that to mean it was a academic issue that was correct in the fall semester of last year (see Todd Mayo).  Since we offered him I take it to mean he met the minimum requirements of the NCAA and MU.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:58:18 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
Setting a girl's hair on fire doesn't necessarily mean that the hair was on her head/that she was wearing the hair

If he set a girl's hair on fire (weather she was wearing it or not) he would be kicked off the team, kicked out of school, arrested and the District Attorney would be holding a press conference to answer the question if he would be tried as an adult.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »

Setting someone's hair on fire is illegal. So, someone's got bad info.

Sometimes victims choose not to press charges. Happens all the time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »

Doesn't matter, he would still be arrested for assault.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »

Whether or not someone chooses to file charges doesn't make an act any more or less legal. Lots of people choose not to press charges when their spouse beats them. That doesn't make those instances of domestic violence legal.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
Doesn't matter, he would could still be arrested for assault.
Fixed.
That said, cops don't often like to bring charges in minor cases without a cooperating victim.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »
Whether or not someone chooses to file charges doesn't make an act any more or less legal. Lots of people choose not to press charges when their spouse beats them. That doesn't make those instances of domestic violence legal.

Prosecutors are not in the business of bringing charges they do not believe they have the evidence to prove. Without sufficient corroborating evidence, you often can't prove a case without the victim's testimony. As such, sometimes illegal activities that prosecutors may believe constitute a felony do not get charged.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
If he did try and set someone's hair on fire and that got him kicked off the basketball team, how could he even stay in school?  If this was the offense wouldn't he have also been kicked out of school?  

If my daughter went to Sanberg, and was a senior (Harris' grade) and I found out that school administrators thought trying to set a girl's hair on fire only warranted getting kicked off the basketball team, I'd demand a meeting with administrators asking why he is still in school.  In fact I would demand they seek a restraining order to keep him away from the school.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:10:29 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
Prosecutors are not in the business of bringing charges they do not believe they have the evidence to prove. Without sufficient corroborating evidence, you often can't prove a case without the victim's testimony. As such, sometimes illegal activities that prosecutors may believe constitute a felony do not get charged.

Yeah, I already said that.
But whether charges are filed or not doesn't define the legality/illegality of the act, which is what your previous post (incorrectly) stated.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
Could it be that some people simply don't want a kid at their school that has been suspended multiple times, including for his entire senior season?  That is a known fact, that he has been suspended multiple times and for his entire season....correct?   I'm just guessing, but that may be what some of those from the "kick him out" crowd are referencing.  Or another way to put it, what the violations are don't matter, the fact he has suspended over and over again and doesn't get the message between the ear lobes is enough for that crowd to say, NO Thanks.

Isn't that an equally logical point of view and is based on facts?

Of course I have to agree with Chicos....

How often does a start high school athlete get suspended for his entire senior season? Not often. Drinking and pot will gets a couple game suspensions, as there has been in my area this football season.

In my opinion, Buzz needs to leave this kid in Orland Park.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »
Of course I have to agree with Chicos....

How often does a start high school athlete get suspended for his entire senior season? Not often. Drinking and pot will gets a couple game suspensions, as there has been in my area this football season.

In my opinion, Buzz needs to leave this kid in Orland Park.

Dude I can smell your nursing home stench through my phone screen. Pretty sure we're around the same age but you sound like a septuagenarian in this thread. Not a good look.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »
Every report I read said second suspension. Nobody reported that this was one of "multiple suspensions" or that he had been "suspended over and over again". That's just you being you- you're not fooling anybody.

Two suspensions would be multiple suspensions....correct?

And yes, one report said third strike.  Perhaps you didn't read it. 

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »
Yeah, I already said that.
But whether charges are filed or not doesn't define the legality/illegality of the act, which is what your previous post (incorrectly) stated.

You completely misconstrued what I wrote somehow. The point, and what my post said, is that illegal acts are often not charged without a cooperating victim. I think we are saying the same thing here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2013, 11:30:06 AM »
Dude I can smell your nursing home stench through my phone screen. Pretty sure we're around the same age but you sound like a septuagenarian in this thread. Not a good look.

"I don't agree with you so I will start to call you names"

Also, not a good look

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »
Those who don't want him at MU are more than capable of explaining their reasons - no need to patronize them.

I don't believe there was any form of patronizing, just offering an explanation.  No different than you and others offering explanations of whether more than one suspension is now, somehow, not multiple, or opining about what exactly he was suspended for.  It's a message board.  I get the arguments on both sides, and merely offered what one, very plausible and logical argument could be....multiple suspensions, one so bad he is suspended for his senior season could (is) a red flag to some people.  For others, it is not.  For others, still, it isn't because he is a MU commit but if he was a commit somewhere else (UW, for example), then they would be piling on how the school would even consider taking a kid.  It's all conjecture and the spin and viewpoints change based on who said it, who did it, what school they will attend, etc.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »
"I don't agree with you so I will start to call you names"

Also, not a good look

"I hope a 17 year old I've never met is not allowed to attend my alma mater based on incomplete information." Ludicrous.

feedback