[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013-14 NHL thread  (Read 68742 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: 2013-14 NHL thread
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »
The one thing I learned during the 2013-14 NHL season:

1) I overestimated the sophistication of LAK fans.  I was watching them pound the boards maniacally when their team cleared during a penalty kill on Saturday night, and I thought to myself, these guys and gals in SoCal actually get it.  Here I am, prepared to shower accolades upon these disciples of Gretzky for bucking the poser lifestyle that made SoCal and embracing the game, the legends, the tradition... when all of the sudden, out comes the commissioner to present the Trophy and the Cup.  The boos were sparse, if even non-existent.

Geez, L.A., it's not like you're new to this Stanley Cup thing.  Heck, you've been around as long as Philly and Pittsburgh.  Show some respect to the game by disrespecting the Commissioner.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2014, 09:40:07 AM »
Every sports team has fair weather fans, there's no doubt there. Not every Lexus SUV driving soccer mom is a super meathead fan, but is it wrong for them to get excited when the team is on the verge of a championship? If you want to measure a fanbase, attendance when there's a bad product isn't the way. It's the same argument as staying to the end of a blowout.

I was merely stating the case for poor White Sox baseline attendance.

We agree.  That's what I've been saying, but the provincial nature of certain cities and fanbases don't want to admit it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
We agree.  That's what I've been saying, but the provincial nature of certain cities and fanbases don't want to admit it.

Okay then. What else is going on?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #353 on: June 16, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
The one thing I learned during the 2013-14 NHL season:

1) I overestimated the sophistication of LAK fans.  I was watching them pound the boards maniacally when their team cleared during a penalty kill on Saturday night, and I thought to myself, these guys and gals in SoCal actually get it.  Here I am, prepared to shower accolades upon these disciples of Gretzky for bucking the poser lifestyle that made SoCal and embracing the game, the legends, the tradition... when all of the sudden, out comes the commissioner to present the Trophy and the Cup.  The boos were sparse, if even non-existent.

Geez, L.A., it's not like you're new to this Stanley Cup thing.  Heck, you've been around as long as Philly and Pittsburgh.  Show some respect to the game by disrespecting the Commissioner.

They booed him loudly two years ago.  Not sure what changed this year.  Good friend of mine's brother is the VP of PR for the Kings, Mike Altieri...I worked with his brother for years.  He got to be on the ice for both presentations and even hoisted the cup in the locker room.  At any rate, there is a hilarious video of a woman in high heels on the ice that takes a header after the game he sent me.  I say hilarious knowing that she is ok.  It looked bad, if she was hurt I wouldn't say it.  Its on the internet somewhere, rather comical and very L.A.

Also very L.A., after the game outside, the LAPD or someone had a drone and the fans took the drone out and destroyed it.  If this were the Lakers, someone would have shot it, but being the Kings they took it down by throwing objects at it.

All in all, So. Cal hockey fans know their stuff.  Kings were the second batch of teams added after the original 6....been around a long time.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #354 on: June 16, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
Okay then. What else is going on?

Ask JWags and MUSoxfan

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
Ask JWags and MUSoxfan

I'm not speaking for MUSoxfan, but Chicos is basically saying all sports cities are created equal.  And I don't buy that.  And it's not just Chicago.

But your arguments for Chicago are the White Sox and the fact that the Bulls had bad attendance 30 years ago, ignoring the fact that Jordan hasn't played for the Bulls for 16 years and in that time attendance hasn't dipped despite limited real success.

Whatever.  I would have never thrown the barb that MUSoxfan did, and I actually have a lot of respect for the Kings organization, but comparing LA sports fans and Chicago sports fans is silly.  I'd say the same about LA vs Philly, LA vs Boston, etc...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #356 on: June 16, 2014, 03:59:38 PM »
I'm not speaking for MUSoxfan, but Chicos is basically saying all sports cities are created equal.  And I don't buy that.  And it's not just Chicago.

But your arguments for Chicago are the White Sox and the fact that the Bulls had bad attendance 30 years ago, ignoring the fact that Jordan hasn't played for the Bulls for 16 years and in that time attendance hasn't dipped despite limited real success.

Whatever.  I would have never thrown the barb that MUSoxfan did, and I actually have a lot of respect for the Kings organization, but comparing LA sports fans and Chicago sports fans is silly.  I'd say the same about LA vs Philly, LA vs Boston, etc...

I think you have a little bias going on, both ways. 

I'm no fan of LA sports fan and I've lived in many cities in this country and visited just about all of them.  Cold weather cities inherently like to tell you how great are as sports cities.  Some do a better job than others in SOME sports, but there is also less to do.  LA has to support two hockey, two NBA teams...Chicago one of each.  Yet the Lakers are still at 99.9% capacity in most years, Chicago has but even as recently as 2010 only at 95.8% capacity.  Forget raw numbers, you can only put so many people in a building (United Center bigger than Staples Center).

I'm not ignoring the Jordan part at all, I'm stating exactly how convenient it is that suddenly Chicago found out there was a team that played in the city that no longer had Artis Gilmore or Love wearing short shorts.  Blackhawks, White Sox, etc, not good attendance for many years except when they were good.  No different than other cities.

I'm not going to get into LA vs Chicago or LA vs Boston or whatever.  I'm not a fan of LA if you haven't noticed.  Too many transplants here many of which "love their city" yet apparently not enough since they left it to come out here.  Plenty of meatheads that have relocated to the sunshine and the free stuff.  When all of Chicago can rally around one team or all of Boston or all of Philadelphia, that changes a one team dynamic, but doesn't make one city more of a sports city.  Combine Angels and Dodgers fans together vs Philly or Red Sox fans.  Combine Sixers fans vs Lakers and Clippers.  Combine Ducks and Kings fans vs Blackhawks fans.  So on and so forth, different comparisons.  One thing is certain, when teams win fans emerge.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #357 on: June 16, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »
How would you compare LA Rams, er, Raiders, er whatever the NFL team is out there to pro football fans in other cities?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #358 on: June 16, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
How would you compare LA Rams, er, Raiders, er whatever the NFL team is out there to pro football fans in other cities?

I wouldn't....then again how would you compare another city in the USA that has two major college football teams like USC and UCLA in the same town.  Don't bother looking, no one else in the country has anything like it.  Cal and Stanford are 48 miles apart, that's about as close as it gets.

Then again, L.A. is capable of supporting two NFL teams and two major college programs all at one time, all with high attendance.  As you know, however, NFL teams follow the money and can move.  Chicago Cardinals....you're old enough to remember them, aren't you?   ;)

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #359 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
Kessler??  Really??? For nothing????  Chicos, you guys piss me off.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #360 on: June 27, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
Kessler??  Really??? For nothing????  Chicos, you guys piss me off.

Did it go through?  I can't find anything. So many rumors the last week on Spezza, Thornton, Kessler, etc.  

All the talk today has about the new uniforms which are not that new at all.  LOL

EDIT:  Just saw it.  Wouldn't say nothing.  Nick Bonino was a nice player for us as well as a #1 draft pick to Vancouver.  Sbisa, he's ok.  Bonino was a 50 point scorer for us this year, really blossomed this past season. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:01:21 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #361 on: June 27, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
He basically said he would want to go to the Disney ducks.

“to be honest, I was only asked my no-trade (clause) to Anaheim. I guess a deal happened fast and it caught me by surprise. But I’m happy it happened today."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
He basically said he would want to go to the Disney ducks.

“to be honest, I was only asked my no-trade (clause) to Anaheim. I guess a deal happened fast and it caught me by surprise. But I’m happy it happened today."

According to the journalists out here today, came down to Chicago Hockey Team and the Ducks, no longer owned by Disney (they were when I worked for them).  The Ducks have the #1 rated minor talent and had two first round picks, so they were able to offer more than the Blackhawks.

I hate giving up Bonino, but clearly the Ducks are saying we are going to try now.  With Getzlaf and Perry in their primes and with the Cup champions 50 miles north, making their play now.   I don't think they are done adding pieces, either.  Tons of young talent that can be moved if they wish.  Murray just won GM of the year a few days ago, he's a smart dude.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #363 on: July 01, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
Well that takes care of the 2nd line center issue.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #364 on: July 01, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »
According to the journalists out here today, came down to Chicago Hockey Team and the Ducks, no longer owned by Disney (they were when I worked for them).  The Ducks have the #1 rated minor talent and had two first round picks, so they were able to offer more than the Blackhawks.

I hate giving up Bonino, but clearly the Ducks are saying we are going to try now.  With Getzlaf and Perry in their primes and with the Cup champions 50 miles north, making their play now.   I don't think they are done adding pieces, either.  Tons of young talent that can be moved if they wish.  Murray just won GM of the year a few days ago, he's a smart dude.

Canucks asked for Saad and Teravainen when the Blackhawks inquired about the price. Bowman told Benning thanks but no thanks. This was before the Penguins said they had no interest in Kesler as they are probably the deepest team down the middle in hockey.

Penguins and Blackhawks were Kesler's pre-approved destinations. The Ducks came along after the other deals fell through and Benning had to lower his asking price significantly since any other team had to be cleared by Kesler before a deal could be made. That's also why the Ducks were the only team Kesler was asked about. They were first to the table after Pittsburgh and Chicago.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #365 on: July 01, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »
Well that takes care of the 2nd line center issue.

Let's hope the 2014-2015 corpse of Brad Richards is better than the 2012-2013 corpse of Michal Handzus. They could probably win with that. The west is getting pretty deep though.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #366 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
This one is for Chicos or any Jonathan Quick fans.
The Stanley Cup was in my neighborhood over the weekend and put to use for a good cause.

(For video & photos see link.)

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140706/kings-goalie-jonathan-quick-brings-stanley-cup-and-smiles-to-hamden
Kings goalie Jonathan Quick brings Stanley Cup and smiles to Hamden

By Chip Malafronte, New Haven Register

HAMDEN >> Jonathan Quick scooped up the shimmering trophy he helped win a month earlier and lugged it to midfield at Hamden’s Joe Bruno Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Shadowing him were roughly four dozen children from the Hamden Youth Hockey Association. They’d come to get a glimpse of the famous Stanley Cup and the superstar goaltender that beat the New York Rangers to win it. Again.

They gathered together on the 50-yard line to pose with this scruffy 28-year-old dressed in a grey T-shirt, black shorts and backward Los Angeles Kings’ baseball cap that read “We own California.”

Quick is a rather ordinary looking guy who, like many his age, doesn’t want special attention. He’d rather slip into the background to enjoy a beer with friends. But it just so happens he doubles as one of the best goaltenders in the world. And to those youth hockey players mugging with him on the artificial turf, he’s a hero with a background they could closely relate: a kid who’d grown up two miles away and had once donned the very same green-and-white Hamden jersey they wore now.

When the photos were finished, Quick, right wrist in a cast after recent surgery, had a question for the pint-sized horde.

“Do you guys want to help me carry this back?” he said.

And with that, a handful of kids swarmed to pick up the massive Cup and haul it back toward the sidelines.

“Just don’t drop it,” Quick said. “I’ll get in a lot of trouble.”

Quick was having fun. Two summers ago he caught some flak for snubbing Hamden during his 24 hours with the Stanley Cup. But this was exactly the type of scene he had in mind when he decided bring hockey’s holy grail back to his hometown.

After all, his mind is still fresh with visions of street hockey in the neighborhood around Tanglewood Drive, where as a kid he dreamed of one day winning the Cup. Last month he was essential in beating the New York Rangers, the second time in three years Quick has helped the Los Angeles Kings win the NHL championship. So it was important he share it with the children of Hamden.

“It’s special,” Quick said. “It’s something that doesn’t happen very often and I think it’s great the kids were able to check it out and enjoy it and get a picture with it. Hopefully, it’s something they’ll remember for a long time and is something they’ll strive for.”

Quick’s original plan was a private showing with the Hamden youth league, where he’d spend an hour taking photos with the kids and their families and spend another hour just hanging out and answering their questions.

When word of his appearance leaked, officials at Lou Astorino Rink and the Hamden Police Department were flooded with calls looking for details. Quick released a statement Thursday night reiterating his intention to keep the event private, but it was too late.

At least a thousand members of the general public, license plates as far as Massachusetts and New York, showed up anyway hoping for a glimpse. So organizers set up shop on the track around Bruno Field, where those without invitations would have a prime view of the happenings from the football stadium bleachers.

As it turned out, Quick wound up accommodating just about everyone.

When the Hamden youth players were finished with their photos, those who showed up anyway were given wristbands. They waited in a seemingly endless line that stretched the length of the stadium steps, through the exit and around the school’s tennis courts into the parking lot. Quick graciously took photos and chatted with well-wishers for two full hours. Only a handful that showed up late were turned away due to time constraints.

Proceeds from the afternoon — $20 was asked per photo — were donated to the education fund for the children of Jason Pagni, a local youth coach and friend of Quick’s who died in a car accident in January. Officials estimated 500 wrist bands were issued to the 2,000 who came through on Sunday.

Quick was unable to return to Hamden for Pagni’s funeral services. This was a way for him to show appreciation for his former youth coach and longtime friend.

“Jay was one of the best guys I ever met,” Quick said. “He was very special to me. I’ve known him for a long time. He was special to a lot of hockey players he coached and played with. I think there’s a lot of guys in this area who he taught and succeeded at college and pro level who all owe a lot to him. I was fortunate to be able to meet him and spend time with him and call him my friend. It means a lot to try to give back for everything he’s given to me.”

And with that, Quick said thanks and took off. The Cup had been stuffed back into its storage container and shuttled off to a waiting vehicle. Kings’ players, coaches and staff get only 24 hours to bask in Lord Stanley’s glow and there were people and places left to see. But he made scores of kids happy, obliged uninvited masses there just for him and raised thousands for the family of a dear friend in the process.

There’s no way to please everyone given the demands on his time. But rest assured, Quick did Hamden proud on this day.

About the Author
Reach the author at cmalafronte@nhregister.com or follow Chip on Twitter: @ChipMalafronte.

Full bio and more articles by Chip Malafronte

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #367 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:55 PM »
This one is for Chicos or any Jonathan Quick fans.
The Stanley Cup was in my neighborhood over the weekend and put to use for a good cause.

(For video & photos see link.)

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140706/kings-goalie-jonathan-quick-brings-stanley-cup-and-smiles-to-hamden
Kings goalie Jonathan Quick brings Stanley Cup and smiles to Hamden

By Chip Malafronte, New Haven Register

HAMDEN >> Jonathan Quick scooped up the shimmering trophy he helped win a month earlier and lugged it to midfield at Hamden’s Joe Bruno Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Shadowing him were roughly four dozen children from the Hamden Youth Hockey Association. They’d come to get a glimpse of the famous Stanley Cup and the superstar goaltender that beat the New York Rangers to win it. Again.

They gathered together on the 50-yard line to pose with this scruffy 28-year-old dressed in a grey T-shirt, black shorts and backward Los Angeles Kings’ baseball cap that read “We own California.”

Quick is a rather ordinary looking guy who, like many his age, doesn’t want special attention. He’d rather slip into the background to enjoy a beer with friends. But it just so happens he doubles as one of the best goaltenders in the world. And to those youth hockey players mugging with him on the artificial turf, he’s a hero with a background they could closely relate: a kid who’d grown up two miles away and had once donned the very same green-and-white Hamden jersey they wore now.

When the photos were finished, Quick, right wrist in a cast after recent surgery, had a question for the pint-sized horde.

“Do you guys want to help me carry this back?” he said.

And with that, a handful of kids swarmed to pick up the massive Cup and haul it back toward the sidelines.

“Just don’t drop it,” Quick said. “I’ll get in a lot of trouble.”

Quick was having fun. Two summers ago he caught some flak for snubbing Hamden during his 24 hours with the Stanley Cup. But this was exactly the type of scene he had in mind when he decided bring hockey’s holy grail back to his hometown.

After all, his mind is still fresh with visions of street hockey in the neighborhood around Tanglewood Drive, where as a kid he dreamed of one day winning the Cup. Last month he was essential in beating the New York Rangers, the second time in three years Quick has helped the Los Angeles Kings win the NHL championship. So it was important he share it with the children of Hamden.

“It’s special,” Quick said. “It’s something that doesn’t happen very often and I think it’s great the kids were able to check it out and enjoy it and get a picture with it. Hopefully, it’s something they’ll remember for a long time and is something they’ll strive for.”

Quick’s original plan was a private showing with the Hamden youth league, where he’d spend an hour taking photos with the kids and their families and spend another hour just hanging out and answering their questions.

When word of his appearance leaked, officials at Lou Astorino Rink and the Hamden Police Department were flooded with calls looking for details. Quick released a statement Thursday night reiterating his intention to keep the event private, but it was too late.

At least a thousand members of the general public, license plates as far as Massachusetts and New York, showed up anyway hoping for a glimpse. So organizers set up shop on the track around Bruno Field, where those without invitations would have a prime view of the happenings from the football stadium bleachers.

As it turned out, Quick wound up accommodating just about everyone.

When the Hamden youth players were finished with their photos, those who showed up anyway were given wristbands. They waited in a seemingly endless line that stretched the length of the stadium steps, through the exit and around the school’s tennis courts into the parking lot. Quick graciously took photos and chatted with well-wishers for two full hours. Only a handful that showed up late were turned away due to time constraints.

Proceeds from the afternoon — $20 was asked per photo — were donated to the education fund for the children of Jason Pagni, a local youth coach and friend of Quick’s who died in a car accident in January. Officials estimated 500 wrist bands were issued to the 2,000 who came through on Sunday.

Quick was unable to return to Hamden for Pagni’s funeral services. This was a way for him to show appreciation for his former youth coach and longtime friend.

“Jay was one of the best guys I ever met,” Quick said. “He was very special to me. I’ve known him for a long time. He was special to a lot of hockey players he coached and played with. I think there’s a lot of guys in this area who he taught and succeeded at college and pro level who all owe a lot to him. I was fortunate to be able to meet him and spend time with him and call him my friend. It means a lot to try to give back for everything he’s given to me.”

And with that, Quick said thanks and took off. The Cup had been stuffed back into its storage container and shuttled off to a waiting vehicle. Kings’ players, coaches and staff get only 24 hours to bask in Lord Stanley’s glow and there were people and places left to see. But he made scores of kids happy, obliged uninvited masses there just for him and raised thousands for the family of a dear friend in the process.

There’s no way to please everyone given the demands on his time. But rest assured, Quick did Hamden proud on this day.

About the Author
Reach the author at cmalafronte@nhregister.com or follow Chip on Twitter: @ChipMalafronte.

Full bio and more articles by Chip Malafronte

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #368 on: July 08, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
I briefly saw something yesterday on ESPN that Wayne Gretzky is trying to get a group of investors together to purchase a team for Seattle. Anyone (Keefe) know anything about this? I wonder if Phoenix will relocate or if this Seattle team will start from scratch.
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #369 on: July 08, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
I briefly saw something yesterday on ESPN that Wayne Gretzky is trying to get a group of investors together to purchase a team for Seattle. Anyone (Keefe) know anything about this? I wonder if Phoenix will relocate or if this Seattle team will start from scratch.

That's really interesting, because I always thought Seattle was a basketball-first city. How much support for hockey wuold there be if they could get a new SuperSonics back in town?

It seems a lot for the Seattle market to support all at once.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #370 on: July 08, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
I guess I should have done some investigating on my own.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11177656/wayne-gretzky-vying-nhl-team-seattle
Bring back FFP!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #371 on: July 08, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
I have been following this because I'm waiting for a Hartford Whalers return.  (more in a second)

The NHL has recently mentioned to be considering both expansion and relocation of some teams.  I heard add two teams and simultaneously relocate another two.  I read the NHL wants some additional teams out west to balance things geographically.

It's rumored Seattle is the top target.  However, to the NHL's dismay Seattle apparently has OK'd to build a new arena but ONLY if an NBA team is involved.  The Key Arena is unsuitable for the NHL.  So Seattle apparently will build for the NBA, or build for both the NBA & NHL, but won't build for just the NHL.  I also read there may be some investigation of costs to possibly renovate the Key Arena to be NHL-ready.  

Quebec City already broke ground on a new arena already and has stated they want the return of the NHL team.  

Hartford is undergoing a study now to be completed by Dec. 31, 2014 on NHL-ready arena options.  Either build new or do a massive, rebuild & overhaul of the XL Center to make it NHL-ready.  Apparently, something needs to be done because of the age of the XL Center and UConn is squawking.  And when UConn squawks people tend to listen.......  Plus the governor has said there are (3) legit parties interested in putting an NHL team in Hartford and he's sworn to secrecy to protect the parties and so far no leaks.  I also read, the NHL has recanted and said "they never should have left Hartford in the first place as it was our Green Bay."      

I read the Toronto suburb of Markham wanted to build an arena for a new NHL team.  (I think the arena idea is now dead and the Maple Leafs & Sabres were both opposed.)

Kansas City is not an option as the "new arena" is already a dozen+ years old and not so new anymore and the NHL doesn't want Atlanta-redux.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #372 on: July 08, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »

The Panthers and Coyotes have both been mentioned for quite some time to be relocation candidates. I believe both teams are tied to their arenas with long term contracts, so any team in Seattle would probably be expansion.

The NHL Board of Governors recently met and announced that they have no ongoing expansion process, so no new teams will likely be added for at least a couple years from now.

Just based on that fact alone, it is unlikely there will be an NHL team in Seattle any time soon. If they get an arena built the decision may change, but I think Quebec City is probably the most likely candidate if any team is to relocate.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #373 on: July 09, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »
The Panthers and Coyotes have both been mentioned for quite some time to be relocation candidates. I believe both teams are tied to their arenas with long term contracts, so any team in Seattle would probably be expansion.

The NHL Board of Governors recently met and announced that they have no ongoing expansion process, so no new teams will likely be added for at least a couple years from now.

Just based on that fact alone, it is unlikely there will be an NHL team in Seattle any time soon. If they get an arena built the decision may change, but I think Quebec City is probably the most likely candidate if any team is to relocate.

I forgot to mention there's something in the NBC contract about the percentage of USA based teams required so there's no room for more than one team to relocate to Canada.

The Phoenix arena lease contract is a head-scratcher.   Along the lines of if the Coyotes stay and the city & team lose $15mil for year and if they go the city of Scottsdale is still out $4mil year.   Something along those lines.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #374 on: July 09, 2014, 01:16:51 PM »
Toews and Kane - 8 more years