[Today at 02:15:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Gold?  (Read 68216 times)

wadesworld

• All American
The Gold?
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcrEl_r8xEE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCcrEl_r8xEE

Just a quick throwback for you. Thank God the tanned 1 had his homeboy to look out for him and knock SOME sense into him. Even Wade, the man who would crawl across hot coals I get to him, knows the guy is seriously and literally insane.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Re: The Gold?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »

Just a quick throwback for you. Thank God the tanned 1 had his homeboy to look out for him and knock SOME sense into him. Even Wade, the man who would crawl across hot coals I get to him, knows the guy is seriously and literally insane.

The best part of that video is when Shaq, off camera, asks, "the Gold?!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »

Had too many cold ones tonight?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:45:44 AM »
Had too many cold ones tonight?

Don't drink. Was trash talking Badger football and a Badger fan friend of mine told me I should focus my anger on not being allowed to be the Warriors. I jokingly said I'm mad we aren't the Gold, which reminded me of this interview.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:53:56 AM »
Don't drink. Was trash talking Badger football and a Badger fan friend of mine told me I should focus my anger on not being allowed to be the Warriors. I jokingly said I'm mad we aren't the Gold, which reminded me of this interview.

I'm talking about the part where you think he is responsible for the Gold.  We already know he wasn't, that has already been determined it was the Zizzo group in Milwaukee.   

That ending to that Badger game was something.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »
I'm talking about the part where you think he is responsible for the Gold.  We already know he wasn't, that has already been determined it was the Zizzo group in Milwaukee.   

That ending to that Badger game was something.

Fair enough. I don't follow a lot of topics on here and was too young to really follow the name change when it happened so truly don't know who was responsible for it. My apologies for being factually inaccurate. Think Wade's reaction is absolutely hilarious either way.

And that sure was a ridiculous ending to the Badger game. Awesome

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 06:33:17 AM »
I still can't believe we didn't go with The Blue.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 06:56:34 AM »
The Zizzo Group was responsible for trying to sell the idea. Gold was Crean.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
Hahahahaha. UW blows. They should be more worried about sitting at #41 in the new US News rankings. Not too impressive for the Harvard of the Midwest.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
The Zizzo Group was responsible for trying to sell the idea. Gold was Crean.

Incorrect, but why would that ever change with you. 

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
The best part of that video is when Shaq, off camera, asks, "the Gold?!"

That is hysterical!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
Hahahahaha. UW blows. They should be more worried about sitting at #41 in the new US News rankings. Not too impressive for the Harvard of the Midwest.

Who calls it the Harvard of the Midwest?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »

41 is pretty damn good for a large public university.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »

Ever talk to a UW fan or alum?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
41 is pretty damn good for a large public university.

It's a far cry from what they think they are.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »

No doubt.  They're proud of their school and think it's awesome, but none of the people I know who went to Madison are that delusional. 

In any case, 41 is a great spot for a public school, IMO.  And while it's certainly no 'Harvard of the Midwest', it's definitely one of the premiere universities of the region, behind only a handful of schools (eg, Michigan, Chicago, Nwestern, Notre Dame, and Wash U, I suppose)

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »
No doubt.  They're proud of their school and think it's awesome, but none of the people I know who went to Madison are that delusional. 

In any case, 41 is a great spot for a public school, IMO.  And while it's certainly no 'Harvard of the Midwest', it's definitely one of the premiere universities of the region, behind only a handful of schools (eg, Michigan, Chicago, Nwestern, Notre Dame, and Wash U, I suppose)

Obviously, we're not talking to the same people.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »

It's not bad...then again half of the University of California system (public) is ranked ahead of Madison and that system has seen its share of dents and hits the last few years.  Michigan, Virginia, UNC, Ga. Tech, etc, etc all ranked higher.  Still, UW-madison is a very good school...I especially loved dealing with all the "alums" when I was there (Platteville, Milwaukee, Stout, Oshkosh, LaCrosse, etc)...LOL

djvern414

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »
That name change only lasted a short time.  Days?  A week or two?  I still think it was a conspiracy to make everyone content with the current nickname - and it worked beautifully.  After the temporary "Gold" all the students were happy to go back to the Golden Eagles.  They even had a "vote" on campus. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
That name change only lasted a short time.  Days?  A week or two?  I still think it was a conspiracy to make everyone content with the current nickname - and it worked beautifully.  After the temporary "Gold" all the students were happy to go back to the Golden Eagles.  They even had a "vote" on campus. 

The ol' two steps forward one step back kinda move, eh?  Interesting theory, never thought about that.

Now when someone laments 'man it sucks we're not the Warriors anymore' the other person can respond 'yea, but at least we're not the gold'.

I remember that vote.  In fact, didn't everyone just write in "Warriors?" LOL  I remember the MU administration was mad and if my memory is correct, they did a second vote and specifically said that they will not count votes for "Warriors."

Reminds me when NASA allowed people to write-in names for a space shuttle or something and Stephen Colbert, with the help of his show and social media, got the write-ins to name it after him.  NASA didn't count those votes.  They also didn't count the 2nd highest write-in vote, which was "Xenu" the god in scientology LOL.  Who knew NASA was PC?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
you come across as jealous...

i like the smallness of mu...but academically the two don't compare.  it's surely not apples to apples, so why even bother...just comes across as a petty inferiority complex.   

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »
no, he's correct...crean's a prick. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »

I had always heard Michigan referred to as the Harvard of the Midwest.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »
I'm correct. Ask Hoopaloop. He agrees.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »

I've had the chance to talk to a few of the boards members who were around back then. It wasn't said outright but I can almost guarantee that this is exactly what happened.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback