Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Syracuse-Georgetown discuss 10 year deal  (Read 13559 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Syracuse-Georgetown discuss 10 year deal
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
As much as I hate to see MU continually get out-coached by Boeheim (who out coaches everyone), I'd like to see MU get a similar series with Syracuse.  It's always going to be either an amazing win or a "good loss" and always good for RPI.

ND - not quite the RPI impact, but MU also needs a similar long term series.

Ultimately, both of these teams really belong in the NBE for hoops, so locking them in with home and home now leads up to the inevitable.

One more thought - could MU/ND sell out the United Center?????  It would be the best college hoops game Chicago has seen in years!

This.  I think this idea has potential.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »
If on a weekend, MU vs. ND at the United Center would sell out.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
If on a weekend, MU vs. ND at the United Center would sell out.

Would it? ND bball fans seem somewhat apathetic.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »
I guess maybe I'm over-estimating the Domer contingent in the city; ND vs. Valpo drew 12K (the UC is 21,500 at capacity) in '03.

I still think MU could make up the difference and force a sell-out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
I'd rather play rivalry games on campus.  Much better atmosphere than a neutral site game.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
I guess maybe I'm over-estimating the Domer  in crowd in the city; ND vs. Valpo drew 12K (the UC is 21,500 at capacity) in '03.

I still think MU could make up the difference and force a sell-out.

Yea man.  Do it during the school year (not during some break) and maybe have some shuttle buses getting students down there for the game, too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
I get more joy out of beating ND than any other regular-season opponent.

And it's all about me, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
I'd rather play rivalry games on campus.  Much better atmosphere than a neutral site game.
Generally, I would agree, but I view Chicago as "open territory" now for recruiting because Illinois is terrible, Depaul is in a rut, etc... MU could OWN Chicago recruiting with a game there every 2 or 3 years against a huge rival like ND, rather than a snoozer like Depaul. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
As much as I hate to see MU continually get outreached by Boeheim (who out coaches everyone),
He generally has had more talent than Buzz, so Buzz has outcoached Boeheim more than Boeheim has outcoached Buzz.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:43:17 AM by bilsu »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
As much as I hate to see MU continually get out-coached by Boeheim (who out coaches everyone), I'd like to see MU get a similar series with Syracuse.  It's always going to be either an amazing win or a "good loss" and always good for RPI.

Ultimately, both of these teams really belong in the NBE for hoops, so locking them in with home and home now leads up to the inevitable.

One more thought - could MU/ND sell out the United Center?????  It would be the best college hoops game Chicago has seen in years!

MU -Cuse will never happen. They already have St Johns and Nova scheduled in the non conference schedule and they will add Georgetown. There's only so many non conference games and I doubt they would want to play 4 big east teams. I'm fine with it, we have limited history with them. To be honest, Notre dames is probably our best and only shot of adding a former big east team to the non conference schedule.

I like the idea of having a neutral game at the United Center as I am a Chicago resident. However I highly doubt MU would agree to this as Notre Dame would outdraw MU by a 4:1 margin. I'd take a home and home arrangement with ND like we have with UW-Madison.

However I remember warriorchick saying mike brey was holding this up. She can. Probably elaborate. We might want to look for another home and home rival until such a time as we can get ND.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:21:23 AM by Bleuteaux »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »
However I remember warriorchick saying mike brey was holding this up. She can. Probably elaborate. We might want to look for another home and home rival until such a time as we can get ND.

Brey wanted to keep a series with MU going after ND announced their move roughly one year ago.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/9/18/3353190/notre-dame-would-like-to-maintain-old-big-east-rivalries
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »

I like the idea of having a neutral game at the United Center as I am a Chicago resident. However I highly doubt MU would agree to this as Notre Dame would outdraw MU by a 4:1 margin.n.

You're right... unless MU gets really clever, insists it's on a Saturday afternoon, adds it to the student package, and puts on buses as part of the student package.  Then, even if it's still a 4:1 margin, our students would make more noise than their stodgy alumni.  If they're really clever a few of the buses would come back on Sunday... so the MU students can visit their families of course.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 05:30:41 AM »
As much as I hate to see MU continually get out-coached by Boeheim (who out coaches everyone), I'd like to see MU get a similar series with Syracuse.  It's always going to be either an amazing win or a "good loss" and always good for RPI.

One more thought - could MU/ND sell out the United Center?????  It would be the best college hoops game Chicago has seen in years!

I seem to remember beating them quite regularly.  We must have been no worse than 500 against them....including last year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:13 AM »
We won three of the last five games against Syracuse. We had exciting victory over them on National Marquette Day in 2011 and then beat 'em again in that year's NCAA tourney to get to the Sweet 16, lost at Syracuse in 2012, and beat them again last season before losing to them in the Elite Eight.

So we have some pretty fond recent memories of games vs. 'Cuse -- take away our Blutarsky-like shooting percentage in last year's NCAA game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2013, 06:15:01 AM »
We won three of the last five games against Syracuse. We had exciting victory over them on National Marquette Day in 2011 and then beat 'em again in that year's NCAA tourney to get to the Sweet 16, lost at Syracuse in 2012, and beat them again last season before losing to them in the Elite Eight.

So we have some pretty fond recent memories of games vs. 'Cuse -- take away our Blutarsky-like shooting percentage in last year's NCAA game.

I agree... I just go back a few years more, and i remember Boeheim proving that Crean is no game coach.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 06:48:46 AM »
As much as I hate to see MU continually get out-coached by Boeheim (who out coaches everyone)

Boeheim outcoaches everyone? You're joking, right? He's a good teacher of the game and system coach. To outcoach someone, you need to be willing and able to make adjustments on the fly. Let me know the next time he shifts out of the 2-3 and we can start talking about him outcoaching people.

Boeheim is fine at his job. He's a great recruiter and does very well at planning for opponents, but it's the strength of what happens before the Orange hits the court that he wins on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
I like the idea of having a neutral game at the United Center as I am a Chicago resident. However I highly doubt MU would agree to this as Notre Dame would outdraw MU by a 4:1 margin. I'd take a home and home arrangement with ND like we have with UW-Madison.

I disagree with that.  I think MU would outdraw ND at the UC, or it would at least be fairly even, especially if it was during the non-conference schedule while ND fans are still pre-occupied with football.  ND may have a large fanbase in Chicago, but they're fair weather fans that don't care about basketball.  I'd prefer a home-and-home also, but playing at the UC would not be a disadvantage to MU.  A 3 year rotation might be interesting, like MU-ND-UC.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2013, 08:41:55 AM »
I disagree with that.  I think MU would outdraw ND at the UC, or it would at least be fairly even, especially if it was during the non-conference schedule while ND fans are still pre-occupied with football.  ND may have a large fanbase in Chicago, but they're fair weather fans that don't care about basketball.  I'd prefer a home-and-home also, but playing at the UC would not be a disadvantage to MU.  A 3 year rotation might be interesting, like MU-ND-UC.

+1.  MU would do fine against ND in Chicago.  May not be even fans but maybe 60-40 at worst.  I really like the idea of a three year rotation of home-home-United Center.  Fantastic idea actually.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
Boeheim outcoaches everyone? You're joking, right? He's a good teacher of the game and system coach. To outcoach someone, you need to be willing and able to make adjustments on the fly. Let me know the next time he shifts out of the 2-3 and we can start talking about him outcoaching people.

Boeheim is fine at his job. He's a great recruiter and does very well at planning for opponents, but it's the strength of what happens before the Orange hits the court that he wins on.

I'm pretty sure boeheim was a m2m coach and then a hybrid coach through at least the 2003 season (I remember them playing some man in the final four that year).

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »

Not sure what you are trying to say here.  Is Boeheim somehow less of a coach because, as you say, "it's the strength of what happens before the Orange hits the court that he wins on"?  Seems to me that's the sign of a pretty damn good coach...teaching and preparation that lead to good execution of their game plan. 

And the ability to make adjustments on the fly is not the only quality that makes a good coach.  The best sign of a good coach is consistent winning, which he has done.  Doesn't matter if it's due to game plan/preparation or if it's due to in-game adjustments, the end result is the same.

Isn't it possible that he outcoaches many coaches before the teams ever hit the floor?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »
I disagree with that.  I think MU would outdraw ND at the UC, or it would at least be fairly even, especially if it was during the non-conference schedule while ND fans are still pre-occupied with football.  ND may have a large fanbase in Chicago, but they're fair weather fans that don't care about basketball.  I'd prefer a home-and-home also, but playing at the UC would not be a disadvantage to MU.  A 3 year rotation might be interesting, like MU-ND-UC.

Well I disagree with that  ;)

I think the 60-40 ratio MarquetteDano laid out might be possible, if all the scheduling is done right and convenient to MU. But there's no way we'd draw more than 40% in Chicago. This is ND territory. I've been to MU-Depaul games at Rosemont and while MU outdraws DePaul (which is not saying much) and does a decent job of filling the Allstate, there's usually at most 4,000-5,000 MU fans. I doubt they would draw anymore than 5,000 or 6,000 at the UC for a Notre Dame game. The rest would probably be ND fans or neutral observers, but again Chicago is basically ND turf so even casual observers are going to be pulling for ND.

Keep in mind the United Center is massive, it seats 21,000 for basketball. All of this plays into ND's hands.

I think best case scenario is maybe a 40-60 split in favor of ND with a half-empty arena of 13,000 or so in attendance. But that would be embarassing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:16:20 PM by Bleuteaux »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
Well I disagree with that  ;)
Keep in mind the United Center is massive, it seats 21,000 for basketball. All of this plays into ND's hands.

I think best case scenario is maybe a 40-60 split in favor of ND with a half-empty arena of 13,000 or so in attendance. But that would be embarassing.

I don't think getting 13,000 for a regular season game is embarrassing.  I believe Duke played a regular season game versus Iowa State a few year ago and drew 10,000 at the UC.  Still was nationally televised and I don't recall anyone stating how either team looked bad for the attendance.

It is not going to sell out.  But I can see 15,000 for that game easy.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
I don't think getting 13,000 for a regular season game is embarrassing.  I believe Duke played a regular season game versus Iowa State a few year ago and drew 10,000 at the UC.  Still was nationally televised and I don't recall anyone stating how either team looked bad for the attendance.

It is not going to sell out.  But I can see 15,000 for that game easy.

You're right. Playing in the United Center and not selling out wont be scrutinized by the national media. St. John's played Duke at MSG a few years back and barely drew 13k. THAT was bad. SJU fans didn't show up...hell, they never do. You can go to when they first started playing at MSG and attendance isn't great. Never.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »

Didn't Syracuse set a record by going 17-1 in BE play...and win the championship outright? How does a team go 17-1 without a coach that makes adjustments? Seems crazy.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
You're right. Playing in the United Center and not selling out wont be scrutinized by the national media. St. John's played Duke at MSG a few years back and barely drew 13k. THAT was bad. SJU fans didn't show up...hell, they never do. You can go to when they first started playing at MSG and attendance isn't great. Never.

I think it is well documented that you are not impressed with anyone in the Big East, Atticus.  Why don't you spend more time on the ACC boards?  It seems like that is where you belong, not in the lowly Big East.

What team do you support Atticus?  We all know it isn't Marquette or anyone in the current Big East.  Cuse perhaps?  You seem like a classic Cuse hater.