Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Syracuse-Georgetown discuss 10 year deal  (Read 13560 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MUUWUWM

• All American
Re: Syracuse-Georgetown discuss 10 year deal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »
I'd prefer Louisville.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
So does Boeheim want 5 at the Carrier Dome and 5 at MSG? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
This gives me some hope of a similar set-up with Notre Dame. I'd love to see a regular series with an ACC team because it gives us a shot of getting on ESPN a little, and while I love the idea of being the flagship program of FS1, I don't want us to be forgotten by the four-letter network. As good as the Wisconsin series is, them relegating it to the BTN every time it's in Madison is ridiculous. Might as well put us on the cooking channel for all the national eyes that will attract.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
So does Boeheim want 5 at the Carrier Dome and 5 at MSG? 

That isn't the impression I got.

It looked like either a home and home split between DC and Syracuse or just doing a neutral site at the Garden.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
That isn't the impression I got.

It looked like either a home and home split between DC and Syracuse or just doing a neutral site at the Garden.
The MSG would not be a true neutral site...

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
If Boeheim keeps coaching for the whole 10 year run of the contract, that'll have a nice ancillary effect on MU's RPI.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
The MSG would not be a true neutral site...

Disagree. NYC is full of Georgetown grads, the heart of Big East territory, and an Acela high speed train ride from DC.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:32:59 AM by Bleuteaux »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Louisville would help our RPI more for sure. But I just love beating the Irish. The rivarly doesn't get much play nationally, but if we signed some sort of long term deal, I beat we could blow it up a little more.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
Disagree. NYC is full of Georgetown grads and is the heart of Big East territory.

True, but have you ever been to the Big East Tournament? It is wall to wall orange every year. Not a neutral site game at all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:37:34 AM »
True, but have you ever been to the Big East Tournament? It is wall to wall orange every year. Not a neutral site game at all.

Just because SU fans travel better than Georgetown doesn't mean its not a neutral game

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
Just because SU fans travel better than Georgetown doesn't mean its not a neutral game

I don't think SU fans travel to NYC. They all live there after graduating.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »
You can get from DC to Penn Station (right under MSG) in 2 hours 40 minutes on the Acela.

Its a 6 hour Amtrak ride from Syracuse to NYC, or a 4 hour drive and then you have to find parking.

The game is set up way better for Georgetown fans to attend. If SU fans still travel better, you can't pin it on the location.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
I don't think SU fans travel to NYC. They all live there after graduating.

As do many many Georgetown alum. I have several high school friends who went to Georgetown and they all live in NYC.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »
As do many many Georgetown alum. I have several high school friends who went to Georgetown and they all live in NYC.

True, but there are more Syracuse alum which makes it easier for them to fill up MSG. Regardless, playing Syracuse in the Garden is a great opportunity for Georgetown to boost their RPI, play on national TV, etc.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »

GU doesn't sell out their game against SJU at the Garden... Syracuse does, though.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »

The same can be said for Notre Dame fans.  A lot of alum, from throughtout the East Coast (and the Midwest) are in NYC.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
DC is closer to MSG than Syracuse is, so it's as neutral as you will get.  Even when those teams play in DC there are more Syracuse fans than Georgetown.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
GU doesn't sell out their game against SJU at the Garden... Syracuse does, though.

GU doesn't sell out their game against SJU at the Verizon either.   :P

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
You can get from DC to Penn Station (right under MSG) in 2 hours 40 minutes on the Acela.

Its a 6 hour Amtrak ride from Syracuse to NYC, or a 4 hour drive and then you have to find parking.

The game is set up way better for Georgetown fans to attend. If SU fans still travel better, you can't pin it on the location.

That's a pretty optimistic drive time.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
any syracuse game in NYC is going to dominated by SU fans, its actually crazy to see.  I lived in NYC for a while and would go to a "Marquette" bar, which was really a syracuse bar because all of the bars are syracuse bars.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
1) It is likely a straight up home and home

2) There would be more Syracuse fans at the Garden then Georgetown fans unless they did an even split of tickets and even then Cuse would likely end up sneaking a few from Georgetown by paying the dues to be a member of the Hoya Hoop Club and getting tickets that way. Georgetown does have a large number of Alums living in NYC and will draw the best of the Big East teams in the conference there, but the issue is Georgetown Undergrad 7,590 Syracuse Undergrad 14,798. They're almost twice the size of us. Of course they have more fans it's just a numbers game.

3) There's also a higher level and % of fandom at a school like Syracuse in the god forsaken tundra with nothing else to do besides watch Syracuse sports. Yes it's closer for Georgetown fans from DC to NYC than from Syracuse to NYC, but a huge amount of their fans already live in NYC or the surrounding areas and they have a huge presence in DC as well which means it's just as easy for them to go up to NYC from DC as it is for Georgetown fans.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
That's a pretty optimistic drive time.

Google maps said 3 hours 50 min

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
As much as I hate to see MU continually get out-coached by Boeheim (who out coaches everyone), I'd like to see MU get a similar series with Syracuse.  It's always going to be either an amazing win or a "good loss" and always good for RPI.

ND - not quite the RPI impact, but MU also needs a similar long term series.

Ultimately, both of these teams really belong in the NBE for hoops, so locking them in with home and home now leads up to the inevitable.

One more thought - could MU/ND sell out the United Center?????  It would be the best college hoops game Chicago has seen in years!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."