[June 06, 2024, 09:01:17 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by Its DJOver
[June 06, 2024, 08:28:03 PM]

Incoming freshmen by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 06, 2024, 07:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by willie warrior
[June 06, 2024, 04:19:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marial Shayok Visits Sept 28  (Read 20057 times)

MUCrew

• All American
Marial Shayok Visits Sept 28
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Re: Marial Shayok Visits Sept 28
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »
Haven't heard much about him until now, but it seems like we're recruiting him pretty hard.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/marial-shayok-says-few-schools-working-hardest-2/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
He's not from Wisconsin, and he's not a big.  He's one of those darn switchables.  We don't want him..  ;D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »
Haven't heard much about him until now, but it seems like we're recruiting him pretty hard.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/marial-shayok-says-few-schools-working-hardest-2/

“A fast school, transition, a place where the coach is going to stay there my whole college career,” he said of what he wants. “Just a place where I can get better.”

With the Texas job already being open for the 2014 season, we can kiss him goodbye, unless our new head coach is already the one recruiting him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
Top player in Canada and potentially could be a high-riser now that he's playing in the states:

http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/marial-shayok-sg-2014

Marquette wasn't even mentioned in the following article in May (MU offered in June).  Also outplayed Rashad Vaughn:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/a-few-schools-concentrating-on-2014-wing-marial-shayok/

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »
Top player in Canada and potentially could be a high-riser now that he's playing in the states:

Also outplayed Rashad Vaughn:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/a-few-schools-concentrating-on-2014-wing-marial-shayok/

That was one game.. Rashad had a rough outing (12 points, ** 8 turnovers **).. Shayok had 13.

His offensive play in EYBL games wasn't very strong - 42.9% eFG, turnover rate of ~24%, more turnovers than assists, didn't get to the line much... but he didn't play a ton (I think only played in two sessions during the regular season.. ). He can rebound on the defensive** side of the glass. His %Shots and %Poss were both around 23-24% in the EYBL, which I like.. but CIA Bounce wasn't very good this season.

Has played fairly well in international competition and had a nice 4 games at the Nike Global Challenge.

May turn out pretty good, but a lot of what you like about him is what he *might* be able to grow into as a player..
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:35:08 PM »
willie and i say buzz is clueless when it comes to recruiting and he needs to pass...we got in on him too late...we need to be getting verbals by age 15 at the latest. 

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:08:03 PM »
That was one game.. Rashad had a rough outing (12 points, ** 8 turnovers **).. Shayok had 13.

His offensive play in EYBL games wasn't very strong - 42.9% eFG, turnover rate of ~24%, more turnovers than assists, didn't get to the line much... but he didn't play a ton (I think only played in two sessions during the regular season.. ). He can rebound on the defensive** side of the glass. His %Shots and %Poss were both around 23-24% in the EYBL, which I like.. but CIA Bounce wasn't very good this season.

Has played fairly well in international competition and had a nice 4 games at the Nike Global Challenge.

May turn out pretty good, but a lot of what you like about him is what he *might* be able to grow into as a player..

Yeah I'm only basing my opinion on the few articles I read. I'm guilty of banking on potential.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
willie and i say buzz is clueless when it comes to recruiting and he needs to pass...we got in on him too late...we need to be getting verbals by age 15 at the latest. 
Agreed, especially if the recruit is already 6'3" at 15 (potential to grow to 6'10", because after all, you never know) and can school current MU studs in pick up games. As some have already stated, Buzz should be camped out at Wade's kid's 5th grade gym. If Buzz doesn't do it, you know Crean will.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »
Any freshman that can hang with MU players on the court, must be impressive.  I am not sure Buzz can watch, but I am sure somebody came up and told him how he played.  Kid
will probably be 6'5" to 6'6''  wing player in the future.  It is so long from now, it will be interesting to watch his improvement.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »
Agreed, especially if the recruit is already 6'3" at 15 (potential to grow to 6'10", because after all, you never know) and can school current MU studs in pick up games. As some have already stated, Buzz should be camped out at Wade's kid's 5th grade gym. If Buzz doesn't do it, you know Crean will.

willie, I'm not sure avid was serious...

...and there's never a guarantee the son of a great player will be great. How are Jordan's kids doing in the NBA? Another good example is Ken Griffey Jr. His dad was okay, but he was a superstar. Sometimes the son surpasses the father, sometimes not. I'd much rather recruit on what an individual (regardless of bloodlines) is actually doing than what his relatives did. That seems to be exactly what Buzz did here.

And it's funny to think of anyone complaining of roster makeup for 2017. Every player we have now will be gone by the time Flory gets here, so we new everything for that class.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »
As some have already stated, Buzz should be camped out at Wade's kid's 5th grade gym. If Buzz doesn't do it, you know Crean will.

If Wade's kid can play and can qualify (Chicos is in charge of this - I'm sure he's given D Wade a piece of his mind regarding parental responsibility and made sure the "Don't be an f-up like the old man" speech has already been delivered), no way he's coming to MU. TC is on record saying Dwyane would have crawled through broken glass all the way to Bloomington (rather than matriculate at lowly Marquette) if he had qualified. If that's true he'd never let his kid "settle" for the likes of MU, especially if his surrogate father still has a job at IU.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:24:30 AM by Lennys Tap »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
If Wade's kid can play and can qualify (Chicos is in charge of this - I'm sure he's given D Wade a piece of his mind regarding parental responsibility and made sure the "Don't be an f-up like the old man" speech has already been delivered), no way he's coming to MU. TC is on record saying Dwyane would have crawled through broken glass all the way to Bloomington (rather than matriculate at lowly Marquette) if he had qualified. If that's true he'd never let his kid "settle" for the likes of MU, especially if his surrogate father still has a job at IU.
And you know this how?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »
And you know this how?

If "this" is TC's statement about Wade crawling to Bloomington through broken glass I know it because I was at the event (Wade being honored at Richards High School by ESPN and Rick Reilly) where Crean said it. I (and maybe 3000 others) heard it with our very own ears.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »

I still see Wade rocking Marquette gear fairly often. I don't get the impression that he thinks of us as "lowly"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 02:12:28 PM »
I still see Wade rocking Marquette gear fairly often. I don't get the impression that he thinks of us as "lowly"

It's sarcasm, though it's clear from TC's words that he views us "lowly" in comparison to IU and thinks Wade agrees.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
ESPN Analyst
Updated 06/24/2013

Strengths:
Shayok is a big wing who could still be growing. He already has good size and a natural strong body, although it remains clear that his frame is far from maxed out at this point. He's extremely smooth in the open floor but also deceptively quick with his first step in the half-court. He's got a solid stroke out to the three-point line and is a very good defensive rebounder, who loves to start the break by pounding out his dribble. He also has a knack for getting himself to the free-throw line.

Weaknesses:
He isn't truly explosive yet, although his athleticism is likely to continue to evolve with his body. Similarly, while his frame continues to mature he'll have to cut and tone his upper body. While he's a pretty good shooter already, his range is likely to continue to polish as well. Defensively, his size and length are advantages but he sometimes has to compensate for less than ideal lateral quickness.

Bottom Line:
He's got obvious talent, but more than that he has a good court demeanor, appears to be receptive to coaching, and is still just scratching the potential of his upside.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
you guys are missing the point.  willie wants mu to be at an elite (not to be confused with elite 8) level, and he fully understands that buzz isn't recruiting at that level.  therefore we must all demand that buzz do so.  if we do that, buzz will either recruit at an elite level or be fired.  then we can hire a coach that will surely do better than numerous NBA contracts, 2 sweet 16's and an elite 8.  so by being happy with the current state of mu basketball you are doing nothing short of ensuring we will never reach truly elite status.  you "fans" of mu basketball just don't understand how to build a program.  we must demand more of buzz...it's the only way he'll get his act together and start recruiting better/bigger players.  willie knows how to build a program to an elite status...i think he's the reincarnation of Al :o
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:56:33 PM by avid1010 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »
you guys are missing the point.  willie wants mu to be at an elite (not to be confused with elite 8) level, and he fully understands that buzz isn't recruiting at that level.  therefore we must all demand that buzz do so.  if we do that, buzz will either recruit at an elite level or be fired.  then we can hire a coach that will surely do better than numerous NBA contracts, 2 sweet 16's and an elite 8.  so by being happy with the current state of mu basketball you are doing nothing short of ensuring we will never reach truly elite status.  you "fans" of mu basketball just don't understand how to build a program.  we must demand more of buzz...it's the only way he'll get his act together and start recruiting better/bigger players.  willie knows how to build a program to an elite status...i think he's the reincarnation of Al :o

Step one: Accept only elite talent. Step two: Hang National Championship banners semi-regularly. That Willie is one smart cookie - maybe he's The One we've been waiting for. Willie in 2016!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:50 PM »
It's sarcasm, though it's clear from TC's words that he views us "lowly" in comparison to IU and thinks Wade agrees.

My apologies good sir! I misread it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 11:56:05 PM »
My apologies good sir! I misread it

No problem, Eagle.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
ESPN Analyst
Updated 06/24/2013

Strengths:
He's got a solid stroke out to the three-point line and is a very good defensive rebounder, who loves to start the break by pounding out his dribble. He also has a knack for getting himself to the free-throw line.

Can shoot from distance but doesn't do it a lot.

In EYBL play he didn't get to the line much. Free throw rate of around 19%, far lower than the EYBL average and his team's overall mark of 34%. 16 FTA; 71 2FGA.

I don't mean any of this in the wrong way, just sharing info.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »

This is one of the best posts ever on Scoop. I bow to you, avid. Bravo, sir.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »

Think he's suggesting the "Calipari Route". A little under the table won't hurt...?

feedback