Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marial Shayok Visits Sept 28  (Read 20048 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Marial Shayok Visits Sept 28
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Buzz is at this kid's high school today.
Bring back FFP!!!

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »
How would you guys feel rounding out next year's class with Shayok and Lammers?  What about Jabari Craig/Tory Miller and a guard like Ahmed Hill or Cassell Jr.?

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »
Here's a game of him going up against Goodluck Okonoboh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6i_v7fclHg

Vid of him from 2 years ago @ FIBA Americas:
http://vimeo.com/25583350

Love that we're targeting him.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
How would you guys feel rounding out next year's class with Shayok and Lammers?  What about Jabari Craig/Tory Miller and a guard like Ahmed Hill or Cassell Jr.?

Shayok and a big would be fine with me.  I do think that we are going to need height.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »

I'd really like a center in the '14 class.  I know Buzz can play small, but I like that more as an option as opposed to a necessity. I've grown a fan of the jumbo package MU has thrown out there in recent years.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »
Yes right now we have Cohen who can play point and is tall enough to legitimately play SF.  Harris could be 6'8 by the time he's on campus so I think he's a great fit as our typical switchable wing player. 

Getting Shayok would add more depth at guard and a center like Lammers/Craig would be really nice too.  Miller seems more like a Davante bruiser type from his size, but I'm not too sure.  Shayok and Lammers seem like 2 great players to round out the class.  I wonder who else we might still be in on.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 08:34:35 PM »
Yes right now we have Cohen who can play point and is tall enough to legitimately play SF.  Harris could be 6'8 by the time he's on campus so I think he's a great fit as our typical switchable wing player. 

Getting Shayok would add more depth at guard and a center like Lammers/Craig would be really nice too.  Miller seems more like a Davante bruiser type from his size, but I'm not too sure.  Shayok and Lammers seem like 2 great players to round out the class.  I wonder who else we might still be in on.

Just some thoughts..
Cohen - 2/3? Yep. I think penciling him in as a PG option is premature. Possibility is there for him to grow into that, but don't see it as myself relative to the amount it's brought up by people.

Shayok I look at more as a wing than guard. Good defensive rebounder. Just think he's more of a 3 than 2.

Miller - total PF. Low post guy. BIG, but muscular. Really, really big body. Offensive skills aren't great, but he's a bruiser. Defensively is capable of being very physical and mean. Guy you hope continues to increase already good strength and just gets better with time. More burst would help (knee injury early on in HS) his game. At least a lunch pail guy that can bang and get grimy on the blocks, but could develop into more.

Jabari Craig - I like his potential. Long shot blocker, active/athletic. Work in progress with a bit of a 'Marquette look' to him.

Wouldn't mind considering JUCO or transfer options at PF/C for 2014.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 09:45:38 PM »
Good point.  Juco big would be nice too.  Would you be opposed to getting two bigs like Miller and Lammers with our final 2 schollies, or still pursue a wing like Shayok or another guard/shooter?  It might be nice to have a skilled sharpshooter with one of the spots too.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
Cohen's probably got a great handle for his size, but I'm skeptical that he'll see much, if any, time running the point. We don't have a long track record of Sam Worthen types who've suited up for us in the past 30 years. Dan Fitzgerald did a commendable job in '05-'06. But on the flip side, there's Bart Miller, who backed up Cordell Henry in '98-'99. What a train wreck.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:09:46 PM by Boone »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Good point.  Juco big would be nice too.  Would you be opposed to getting two bigs like Miller and Lammers with our final 2 schollies, or still pursue a wing like Shayok or another guard/shooter?  It might be nice to have a skilled sharpshooter with one of the spots too.

We can always get three or four guys and Crean some guys in the spring.

Lammers is a guy I just haven't sat down and watched in person. But, with Miller and Lammers I think you've got two guys who could play PF and C respectively.. and *if* things go well on the roster, you ease them in with Jameel & Steve getting huge minutes in 2014-15. And that would work out fine.

Overall I guess I'm in favor of getting the best guys that want to be in your program the most... but would really like a guy that could* play some center.

But... if there's an excellent pg, shooter, wing, whatever else that is a good fit for the program (with the exception of not being an ideal fill for a "position of need"), then do that... too many variables to try to plan your lineup too far down the line so much that you pass on significantly better talent.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
there was not too much Video on Shayok.  His game kind of reminded me of L Deng (bulls).  He was always more of a hard worker in the right place at the right time kind of player.  He did not always look that smooth but was always effective and efficient.   He is not as Big as Deng oof course.  I seem him as more a 3 then 2.  

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »
If we can't get Blammers or another C for next year, I would try hard for either a highly rated juco or look for another Tarik Black to do a Russell Wilson transfer. While both Taylor and McKay can play the 5, I think they would be much more natural at the 4.

Plus a grad student transfer frees up roster space for Diamond Stone  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
I'm really hoping we get Ahmed Hill and a big, preferably Lammers or Miller.

Interesting conversation on Hill (starts at about 10:00 mark):

http://hoopseen.com/index.php/component/k2/item/581-introducing-the-hoopseen-com-podcast

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
Also intrigued by Terry Larrier but not sure what our chances with him are.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 08:08:10 PM »
Also intrigued by Terry Larrier but not sure what our chances with him are.

Zero. He cut us from his list a few weeks ago. Seems like 99% chance he ends up at VCU.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »
Zero. He cut us from his list a few weeks ago. Seems like 99% chance he ends up at VCU.

Didn't see that, thanks.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
We're leading along with UVA:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/coach-marquette-virginia-leading-for-shayok/

I like how the kid mentions that Buzz talks about all the MU players that get to the NBA, and he wants to be one of them.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
This is the first time I've heard a recruit say how Buzz has talked basketball with them rather than life. I think we'll get this kid.
Bring back FFP!!!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
"he's a consistent 3-point shot away from being a starter at a BCS school"

Ugh.  I hope that people stop correlating 'top-notch bball programs' with "BCS school."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
We're leading along with UVA:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/coach-marquette-virginia-leading-for-shayok/

24/7 now thinks that its between Minnesota and MU, but all three experts who've voted have predicted Marquette.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.