[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NBE Sked comes out next week  (Read 18406 times)

The Lens

• All American
NBE Sked comes out next week
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
Casual Hoya tweeted this morning that the NBE sked is coming out next week.

Maybe we'll even have a website by then too.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: NBE Sked comes out next week
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »
The news comes from Andy Katz's daily Three Point Play, which also says that the conference is looking to protect one rivalry game for the closing weekend of the season.

I figure that this game has to involve two carry over members of the Big East, right? If they want a game that's likely to be a game to decide the regular season title, Marquette-Georgetown has to be a likely candidate.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »
I think Georgetown is going to get either St John's or Villanova.  I can see us getting DePaul but hopefully they'll just realize DePaul and Seton Hall are hopeless and assign them each other.

G-town - St John's
PC - Nova
MU-Creighton
X-Butler
DePaul-Hall
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
I think Georgetown is going to get either St John's or Villanova.  I can see us getting DePaul but hopefully they'll just realize DePaul and Seton Hall are hopeless and assign them each other.

G-town - St John's
PC - Nova
MU-Creighton
X-Butler
DePaul-Hall

Dont we open BE play against Creigthon?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
Dont we open BE play against Creigthon?

Yes, and this league plays a true round robin so we will need to play them again, at home.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »

G-town - St John's
PC - Nova
MU-Creighton
X-Butler
DePaul-Hall

Not Creighton we aren't even remotely rivals I could see X or Butler as we've recently beat them in the tournament or obviously Depaul as we used to be rivals.  But hoping for Gtown. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
The problem with the trying to create a rivalry thing that will preserved is that Creighton is really hard to read going forward. Yes they'll be good this year, but what about going forward. Marquette v. Creighton looks on paper to be the two best teams in the western half of the league, but going forward I'm not so sure. I think Marquette and Xavier are much more likely to be the best west of the ohio river.

So if you're trying to set up rivals long term with geographic and competitive balance:

Marquette v. Xavier
Georgetown v. Nova
St. John's v. Providence
Seton Hall v. Depaul
Butler v. Creighton

might make more sense

I think Georgetown ends up with Villanova only other person I could see us with is St. John's.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
Butler and Xavier have had some wars in the non-league and last season as A-10 schools.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »

MU-SJU
G-Town-Nova
SHU-Providence
DePaul-Creighton
Butler-Xavier

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Casual Hoya tweeted this morning that the NBE sked is coming out next week.

Maybe we'll even have a website by then too.

A fully operating website???? C'mon, now you're just talking crazy.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:30 PM »
A fully operating website???? C'mon, now you're just talking crazy.
Needless grinding of teeth here.  Need to get it right the first time and the new BE needs to start its site on the right footing.  Besides, who ever looks at those sites other than at tourney time?

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
The issue of Creighton's merit after this season (no one will argue they won't be good this year) is good one. Does anyone know the quality of their recruiting classes going forward? According to ESPN, they've got a 3-star PF and a 2-star SF anchoring what appears to be an unremarkable 2013 class. And no commits for 2014.

By contrast, we've got three 4-star recruits and a 3-star on board this year, two 4-stars for 2014 so far, and even a 4-star locked down for 2015. Still, my question above isn't rhetorical--does Creighton anticipate some big commits coming down the pike? Are they counting on a big year in 2013-14 (along with the new conference) to attract recruits during and after the coming season?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
The issue of Creighton's merit after this season (no one will argue they won't be good this year) is good one. Does anyone know the quality of their recruiting classes going forward? According to ESPN, they've got a 3-star PF and a 2-star SF anchoring what appears to be an unremarkable 2013 class. And no commits for 2014.

By contrast, we've got three 4-star recruits and a 3-star on board this year, two 4-stars for 2014 so far, and even a 4-star locked down for 2015. Still, my question above isn't rhetorical--does Creighton anticipate some big commits coming down the pike? Are they counting on a big year in 2013-14 (along with the new conference) to attract recruits during and after the coming season?

I get your concern, but Buzz is one of the best recruiters in the country and we're coming from BCS status off of b2b S16s + an E8 and are expected to be the alpha dogs of the conference.  Not fair to compare.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »

Definitely valid points.  As far as our 2013 class, 2 of our 3 recruits had multiple BCS offers (boston college, marquette, iowa state, northwestern, arizona state, gonzaga, missouri) although they were not ranked in the top 150.  Our 3rd freshmen recruit had about 15 or so midmajor offers.  We also added two top 50 jucos late to round out the class.  It was a good class by Missouri Valley standards.  As for 2014, we just had 4 official visits the last two weekends.  2 of them are top 150 recruits (Riley LaChance and JP Macura) and one is a top 100 recruit (Leon Gilmore).  Hopefully we can land a couple of them.  Time will tell if Coach McDermott can recruit at a "Big East" level.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »
MU-Creighton
G-Town-Nova
SHU-SJU
DePaul-Providence
Butler-Xavier

I agree that G-Town and Nova play each other in a rival game. 
MU Creighton this year just because both should be in the top half and NCAA bound.
Butler and Xavier, given location and proximity.
I think they will want to try to get SHU and SJU to get something going, but I could see MU play SJU because both will be near the top.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 06:27:56 AM »
C'Monnnnnn Butler Away on a Saturday night....
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Is the schedule out? We play at Butler on a Sat nite?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »

No, but I'm hoping to make the trip and that would certainly make it easier.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »
UW released their schedule.  1:15 (?) start time.  Anybody know why?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »

7:15 start for the Big Ten Championship game might have something to do with it. Big Ten Network might have the rights to the hoops game and wants it done before their pre-game show starts.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »

If you say it enough, it will happen.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »
Why what?

It's a day game because hockey is at night. It starts 15 minutes after the hour because it has BTN written all over it.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
If you say it enough, it will happen.

Lets hope not--Sat Nites are reserved for games at the BC vs. George, not frickin Indianapolis, Indiana.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »

The top player in their 2013 class is arguably Toby Hegner, a WI kid. Played travel ball with Matt Thomas (Iowa State FR). Tall traditional (6'10" ish).

Redshirt freshman (from 2012 class) Isaiah Zierden (from Minnesota) isn't new to the program, but didn't play last year. He could be nice for them in another year.

But.. they'll not only lose the coaches kid.. but Gibbs will be gone as will another senior - Ethan Wragge (Minnesota). Wragge is a 6'7" kid who came off the bench to shoot 45% on 3's and made more treys than McDermott.

It's a big year for Creighton.

The reality is they probably will continue to recruit the same types of kids they have in the past. It may be good enough for them to be a program that often feels like they have a chance to make the tournament at the beginning of the season, but I don't think they are going to all of a sudden bring in 'elevated interest' from higher profile guys.

They'll continue to go after guys like a 2014 JP Macura. Talented player who has interest from some* other high majors and may be a top 100 kid... but they are not going to consistently be fighting w/Georgetown or MU for recruits.

Good program, but I think there is a ceiling on it. (Being blunt but honest; I like the school a lot.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
Zierden is the son of longtime NBA assistant Don Zierden.
GO WARRIORS!

feedback