[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] The art of passing: Derrick Wilson  (Read 27586 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
[Paint Touches] The art of passing: Derrick Wilson
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
After a brief hiatus, we're back with some Synergy breakdown. This time, it's where Derrick Wilson's assists came from and why it needs to change this year:

http://painttouches.com/2013/08/26/the-art-of-passing-derrick-wilson/

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] The art of passing: Derrick Wilson
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
Thank you for using statistics to confirm what I (and many other observers) thought was true.

It's pretty simple, really: If Derrick is to be a legit D-1 PG, he has to break down his defender, get into the lane and set up his teammates for high-percentage shots. If he can't do that, others must get the opportunity.

Buzz is loyal and wants to reward a veteran player who has done what's been asked of him in the past. But he also is a coach who wants to win. As the season progresses, he will play the PG who makes winning more likely.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
Derrick will play regardless of his offense production because he provides great defense and energy off the bench.  He is a role player and his status won't change, so I don't think he needs to do much different than what he did last year.  Obviously some offense would be a bonus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
Derrick will play regardless of his offense production because he provides great defense and energy off the bench.  He is a role player and his status won't change, so I don't think he needs to do much different than what he did last year.  Obviously some offense would be a bonus.

I disagree totally.

If Buzz wanted more of what Derrick brings, he would have played DW more minutes last year than he played Cadougan -- especially since Buzz said more than once that Derrick "deserved" to start. But for all that motivational "deserves to start" stuff, Buzz wanted a PG who at least was a threat to beat defenders, set up teammates and hit the occasional shot.

As is the case with the vast majority of major-college coaches, Buzz wants his primary PG to do something on offense. He will need to see that from Derrick this season or Derrick will be eclipsed by Duane.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »
I disagree totally.

If Buzz wanted more of what Derrick brings, he would have played DW more minutes last year than he played Cadougan -- especially since Buzz said more than once that Derrick "deserved" to start. But for all that motivational "deserves to start" stuff, Buzz wanted a PG who at least was a threat to beat defenders, set up teammates and hit the occasional shot.

As is the case with the vast majority of major-college coaches, Buzz wants his primary PG to do something on offense. He will need to see that from Derrick this season or Derrick will be eclipsed by Duane.

Not to speak for teamdee, but I don't think he disagrees with you.  I think he is simply saying that he will play, even if it is in a back up role.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »

Not to speak for teamdee, but I don't think he disagrees with you.  I think he is simply saying that he will play, even if it is in a back up role.

Oh ... of course Derrick will play. Even if Buzz decides that Duane is a far superior option, I would expect Derrick to play at least as much as he did last year to bring defense and maturity.

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
Yes, now we are speaking on the same terms MU82.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
Buzz will use the D Wils this season the same way he used Oxtule last season. when we need offense, Duane will play. When we need defense Derrek will play. If Duane starts to excel at defense or if Derrek discovers his shot, one may start over the other.

My gut tells me that Buzz will start Derrek, at least at first.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
My gut tells me that Buzz will start Derrek, at least at first.

Only thing that might throw a wrench in that is if Buzz decides on a "five toughest guys" lineup against Southern & Grambling, at which point who friggin knows who would start.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »
Only thing that might throw a wrench in that is if Buzz decides on a "five toughest guys" lineup against Southern & Grambling, at which point who friggin knows who would start.
He will start Derrik, if he looking for the toughest lineup.
I cannot help but wonder if Buzz will continue his tradition of a surprise starter. He started Reggie Smith at point over Buycks and Cadougan so it should not be a surprise if either Wilson starts. However, I could see him starting either Thomas or Juan at point just because Buzz does crazy things.
It really is not a question about playing time as both Wilson's will play 18-22 minutes a game. It is more of who they will be teamed with. Derrick will be on the floor when both Otule and Gardner are on the floor. Duane will be teamed with McKay. Muscle with muscle and speed with speed.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
He will start Derrik, if he looking for the toughest lineup.
I cannot help but wonder if Buzz will continue his tradition of a surprise starter. He started Reggie Smith at point over Buycks and Cadougan so it should not be a surprise if either Wilson starts. However, I could see him starting either Thomas or Juan at point just because Buzz does crazy things.
It really is not a question about playing time as both Wilson's will play 18-22 minutes a game. It is more of who they will be teamed with. Derrick will be on the floor when both Otule and Gardner are on the floor. Duane will be teamed with McKay. Muscle with muscle and speed with speed.
That surprise starter "tradition" is a crock. That really worked well with both Erik Williams and Reggie Smith. If Buzz started Juan at point--yeah you are right, he would be crazy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »
Derrick will start and finish as starting point guard this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

I hope you are right because that will mean Derrick will have proven he can be a D1 PG.

He has shown zero evidence of that being the case so far in his college career, but as many have pointed out on other posts, guys do improve.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
Derrick has the experience that MU needs from the point but duane has the talent that takes MU to the next level. It should be interesting to see the progress from both of them. My guess is that Du. is playing a few more min. than Der. per game by the end of the season.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 05:58:46 AM »
I hope you are right because that will mean Derrick will have proven he can be a D1 PG.

He has shown zero evidence of that being the case so far in his college career, but as many have pointed out on other posts, guys do improve.

Sure, it was two years ago, but I am hoping the Madison game was insight to what his abilities are.  He's definitely got the leadership qualities that role requires.  Buzz made him a team captain for a reason.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
Sure, it was two years ago, but I am hoping the Madison game was insight to what his abilities are.  He's definitely got the leadership qualities that role requires.  Buzz made him a team captain for a reason.

The game at Madison has grown to legendary proportions.

He played fine that game.  20 minutes.  No points, no assists, two rebounds.  Yeah, he played good defense on Jordan Taylor (who still managed to be UW's leading scorer by the way), but Vander Blue did as well.

I'm not sure why people keep going back to that game as some sort of reaffirmation of Derrick's abilities.  He will have to be better than that to be the guy next year.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 07:33:50 AM »

Not if he continues with his 2013 stats.  All the defense in the world won't keep him in the game and on numerous occasions last year he picked up quick reach in fouls outside the perimeter.

27% FG
14% 3 Point
45% FT

The PG position will be the talk of the early season. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
If he does, it will be 3 to 5minutes per half, because we will be needing some offense and solid passing from the PG position.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »
Although risky due to the turd-like performance of the team, I think the game where Derrick really showed his abilities was @ FL.  He was able to get to the rim and finish and was aggressive when almost no one else on the team was.  To me, that showed he is capable of leadership and at least the occasional successful foray to the rim.  He scored 6 on 3-5 shooting, and had 2 each of assists/rebounds/steals with only 1 turnover in 22 minutes.

IF he can consistently provide that line, along with even marginal improvement on shooting from outside and the FT line, he will play a good chunk of minutes, no matter how good Duane is.  

I can't wait to see, that's for sure.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
A great athlete who is a stellar defender, much faster than the opposition and can't/won't do anything on offense... He is going to enter the draft after this year.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »

I do not know how you can say there is zero evidence. We won at Wisconsin with Derrick playing point as a freshmen when Buzz suspended Cadougan for the game.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »
If he does, it will be 3 to 5minutes per half, because we will be needing some offense and solid passing from the PG position.
Well there is no way Duane Wilson is going to play 30 minutes a game. My guess is Derrick starts and plays on average 17 minutes and Duane plays 21 allowing 2 minutes for Dawson, etc.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
I do not know how you can say there is zero evidence. We won at Wisconsin with Derrick playing point as a freshmen when Buzz suspended Cadougan for the game.

Ehhh....again "The Legend of Madison"

20 minutes...zero points...zero assits.  He was fine.  Hardly the performance it has been made out to be.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
Well there is no way Duane Wilson is going to play 30 minutes a game. My guess is Derrick starts and plays on average 17 minutes and Duane plays 21 allowing 2 minutes for Dawson, etc.

As always with Buzz, minutes will be distributed in any particular game based on what is needed for that game or what is working.  I think Derrick will start, but when the offense is stagnant we'll go to Duane, and if the defense is shoddy Derrick will be back in.  Minutes will vary based on opponent and situation.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
As always with Buzz, minutes will be distributed in any particular game based on what is needed for that game or what is working.  I think Derrick will start, but when the offense is stagnant we'll go to Duane, and if the defense is shoddy Derrick will be back in.  Minutes will vary based on opponent and situation.

This is probably most accurate/most realistic of all the posts so far.  I do think that Derrick will step up his game and we will see much better stats from him this year offensively.  Just my opinion.