'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] The art of passing: Derrick Wilson  (Read 27587 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: [Paint Touches] The art of passing: Derrick Wilson
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »
While they aren't similar players, this reminds me of the Vander discussions before the beginning of last season.

I still see some upside in Derrick's game. He's never going to be Reggie Miller. But, could he shoot 40% from the field, get to the line a little, and get a handful of assists? I think so.

20+ min. per game.
5 pts.
4 ast.
1.5 reb.

I think he can do that. That's a nice role player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
While they aren't similar players, this reminds me of the Vander discussions before the beginning of last season.

I still see some upside in Derrick's game. He's never going to be Reggie Miller. But, could he shoot 40% from the field, get to the line a little, and get a handful of assists? I think so.

20+ min. per game.
5 pts.
4 ast.
1.5 reb.

I think he can do that. That's a nice role player.

Reggie Miller? Hell, offensively he'll never be Cheryl Miller. But I agree he can be a solid role player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »

Where he is a career 46% FT shooter. One of several -- OK, pretty much every -- offensive area in which Derrick needs to improve to be a D1 PG.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »

Ehhh....again "The Legend of Madison"

20 minutes...zero points...zero assits.  He was fine.  Hardly the performance it has been made out to be.

Terror: I have pointed this exact thing out on several occasions but folks keep going back to that game as "proof."

If Derrick averages zero points and zero assists over 20 minutes, no matter how good his defense is, he can't be a starting PG of a team expected to get to the NCAAs and advance within them.

We actually have a thread positing a national title. Has a national champion ever had a PG that can't play even a little offense?

Not saying Derrick won't improve. I hope like hell he does. But, again, he has shown zero, zip, nada so far.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
Terror: I have pointed this exact thing out on several occasions but folks keep going back to that game as "proof."

If Derrick averages zero points and zero assists over 20 minutes, no matter how good his defense is, he can't be a starting PG of a team expected to get to the NCAAs and advance within them.

We actually have a thread positing a national title. Has a national champion ever had a PG that can't play even a little offense?

Not saying Derrick won't improve. I hope like hell he does. But, again, he has shown zero, zip, nada so far.

I'm one who refers to that game.

I am agreeing with you, if the Madison game is as good as it will ever get with Derrick.  However, I speculate we will see significant growth in his game this year. With two years of development and growth, his game will have likely rounded out when he takes the helm this year.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
By the time conference play starts, Duane Wilson will have mastered "The art of passing Derrick Wilson"... on the depth chart.

/rimshot
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »
Where he is a career 46% FT shooter. One of several -- OK, pretty much every -- offensive area in which Derrick needs to improve to be a D1 PG.

Totally fair.

I don't expect the guy to get there that often, or have a stroke like Novak.

I guess my view is that he can't possibly be any worse.

The kid is a very good athlete, and has some good physical tools. His games needs refinement and improvement, but I think he can be a solid 20min. guy.

Make 1 or 2 free throws per game. Make a lay-up or 2. Make the occasional 3pter. Boom. 5pts per game.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »

But we won the game. Picture Herm Edwards "Hello, you play to win the game"

Also I should note that I think Duane is going to be legit, and play quite a bit
Bring back FFP!!!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
A point guard scoring zero in a win is great. A point guard scoring 15 in a loss is not. the only thing that matters is whether the team wins or not. It is not that I have high hopes for Derrick's game taking a significant jump, it is that I thing you guys are expecting to much out of a freshmen.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
But we won the game. Picture Herm Edwards "Hello, you play to win the game"

Herm Edwards quote has nothing to do with that game.  Completely different context.  Not to mention that he's a moron.

A point guard scoring zero in a win is great. A point guard scoring 15 in a loss is not. the only thing that matters is whether the team wins or not.

A point guard scoring 15 in a win is better. 

It is not that I have high hopes for Derrick's game taking a significant jump, it is that I thing you guys are expecting to much out of a freshmen.

No, I'm just putting that game in its proper context.  Everyone is pointing to it as proof of his ability to play, but he really didn't do much that game.  He was fine.  It doesn't portend to anything.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »
Herm Edwards quote has nothing to do with that game.  Completely different context.  Not to mention that he's a moron.

This, such an idiot.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »

A point guard scoring 15 in a win is better. 

No, I'm just putting that game in its proper context.  Everyone is pointing to it as proof of his ability to play, but he really didn't do much that game.  He was fine.  It doesn't portend to anything.
I was at the game, were you? When they annouced that Cadougan was not going to play, I thought we had no chance to win. Wilson came in took care of the ball and played great defense on Taylor. Without Wilson we would not of won that game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
I was at the game, were you?

Yes. 

When they annouced that Cadougan was not going to play, I thought we had no chance to win.

I did not have the same feeling.

Wilson came in took care of the ball and played great defense on Taylor. Without Wilson we would not of won that game.

I don't know if you can make that statement.  You realize that he only played 20 minutes right?  That means someone else was bringing up the ball for over half of that game.  That means someone else was playing defense on Taylor too.

Again, he played fine.  It doesn't mean jack sh*t when determining how he would play this year however.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Totally fair.

I don't expect the guy to get there that often, or have a stroke like Novak.

I guess my view is that he can't possibly be any worse.

The kid is a very good athlete, and has some good physical tools. His games needs refinement and improvement, but I think he can be a solid 20min. guy.

Make 1 or 2 free throws per game. Make a lay-up or 2. Make the occasional 3pter. Boom. 5pts per game.
Yeah, that's real good rationale to start the guy and give him 20 minutes per game. "He can't possibly be any worse."
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Yeah, that's real good rationale to start the guy and give him 20 minutes per game. "He can't possibly be any worse."

At the free throw line. I was referring to free throws. I don't think Derrick can be worse than 46%.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »
So what's your rationale to start Duane?  He was good in HS?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
So what's your rationale to start Duane?  He was good in HS?
What two state titles, a high recruit ranking and a good shot by all accounts. That is a hell of a lot better rationale than "he can't possibly be any worse" for De. Wilson.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
What two state titles, a high recruit ranking and a good shot by all accounts. That is a hell of a lot better rationale than "he can't possibly be any worse" for De. Wilson.
I'll just leave it that I'm glad you have nothing to do with our basketball program. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »

Again, you're taking my post out of context. I was speaking specifically of his free throw shooting.

Do you have a prediction on the number of minutes Derrick will play?

Maybe a friendly wager?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 11:13:20 PM »
A point guard scoring zero in a win is great. A point guard scoring 15 in a loss is not. the only thing that matters is whether the team wins or not. It is not that I have high hopes for Derrick's game taking a significant jump, it is that I thing you guys are expecting to much out of a freshmen.

I don't know what to expect from Duane. I've never seen him play one second of one game. And those who did see him play in H.S. haven't seen him play one second of one NCAA game.

I hope he's great, because serious teams need a great PG.

What I will say is that Derrick hasn't exactly set a high bar for Duane to jump over.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »
Who cares about the UW game? Its not the end all be all game of De.Wilson. The guy deserves the first chance to prove his stuff this year. He knows the system and the players better than Duane, but if can only score 4 points and maybe  1 or 2 assists per game then he needs to be replaced. The problem is that Du. is a freshman and will make freshman mistakes and so Buzz may feel that De. is the better of two evils, time will tell.

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »
Hey Raul, they will complement each other.  Duane will not replace Derrick. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »
Who cares about the UW game? Its not the end all be all game of De.Wilson. The guy deserves the first chance to prove his stuff this year. He knows the system and the players better than Duane, but if can only score 4 points and maybe  1 or 2 assists per game then he needs to be replaced. The problem is that Du. is a freshman and will make freshman mistakes and so Buzz may feel that De. is the better of two evils, time will tell.
I do

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »
I'll just leave it that I'm glad you have nothing to do with our basketball program. 
Same to you.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
bilsu, I cant wait to see MU beat UW again but my point was that we cant put so much weight on that one game. Its the overall pattern of derricks game. My opinion is that he needs to have a few more assists a game to make his teammates better and needs to be more of a scoring threat. As for teamdee, you may be right but then again a talent like duane is hard to keep on the bench.