[Today at 01:34:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What does I4 mean?  (Read 26847 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: What does I4 mean?
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »
People like Buzz. People liked Majerus. People liked O'Neill despite himself because he was genuine and funny and a good coach. People do not like Crean. End of story.

I was at Marquette during the TC era. And we LOVED him. The fake baking was weird but we took him with all of his quirks, even the diet coke. It didn't matter because he was winning. He took us from a has been mid major program to a major player in the Big East. As far as the students were concerned (can't speak for alumni) he walked on water.

That changed the instant he left. And I will be the first to say that I was pissed and said some awful things about him. All the little things that we used to love TC for become tacky and reasons to hate him. Descriptors like "passionate and dedicated" turned into "sleazy and douchey." How he left, yes it sucked. But people would still say the same things no matter how it happened.

The fact is, no matter what you think of him personally (which none of you as far as I know actually know him personally) he did great things for our program. D Wade, 2003, the Big East, all of that was because of TC. For me, that will always trump the manner in which he left and his general doucebagginess.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »
I was at Marquette during the TC era. And we LOVED him. The fake baking was weird but we took him with all of his quirks, even the diet coke. It didn't matter because he was winning. He took us from a has been mid major program to a major player in the Big East. As far as the students were concerned (can't speak for alumni) he walked on water.

That changed the instant he left. And I will be the first to say that I was pissed and said some awful things about him. All the little things that we used to love TC for become tacky and reasons to hate him. Descriptors like "passionate and dedicated" turned into "sleazy and douchey." How he left, yes it sucked. But people would still say the same things no matter how it happened.

The fact is, no matter what you think of him personally (which none of you as far as I know actually know him personally) he did great things for our program. D Wade, 2003, the Big East, all of that was because of TC. For me, that will always trump the manner in which he left and his general doucebagginess.

I can vouch for the immediate post Crean feeling it was my first year of Bball games and I didn't understand why everybody was going crazy at their old coach took until my freshman year for my RA to explain it to me and it all made sense. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »
Oh, to be young and naive......
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »

Nicely said.

The memories of 2003 outweigh the bad for me, so it's all good in my book.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
First words out of nearly every MU fan I know regarding Al, Hank and Buzz = "Great guy"
First words regarding Rick, KO and Deane = "Great guy, but..."

I have never heard any of my friends or acquaintances who know MU basketball begin their description of TC with those two or three words. Ever. Kick and scream, say it's not fair, but as long as people feel that way you'll never be able to rehabilitate the guy's rep with MU fans. We tolerated him, we celebrate Buzz. Sorry you don't like it but 1,000,000 posts won't change it.

Your friends.....brings back the oft told "I don't understand how that guy got elected, none of MY FRIENDS voted for him"  LOL

Just as I can tell you stories of alums when I worked there that despised the ground KO and MD walked on.  Different strokes for different folks.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Your friends.....brings back the oft told "I don't understand how that guy got elected, none of MY FRIENDS voted for him"  LOL

Saying something this stupid would disqualify one from becoming my friend.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
Understood, but they pulled out of it and remain DI, unlike the claim they are "now DII or DIII."  This was also 2011, not 2007.  They did the initial start down that path, but pulled back. I call it tempted, you can call it what you want.  They clearly didn't go all the way, describe it as you wish...they are DI.

Sorry, the current division choice by UNO is only slightly above my interest in the consistency of PRNs bowel movements.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

Who cares how he left? It's the most overblown thing ever. I'm just glad he did. I wasn't around when Kennedy was assassinated but its been said the entire country was in mourning until the Beatles arrived. When Crean left, I felt like my grief had been wiped clean.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »
Methinks there would be zero chance of KO, or a guy like him, getting hired at Marquette now.

Everybody loved Majerus until he became the head coach. Then even the players he recruited hated him.

I didn't know Crean. I do know he likes to hang with that whole La Russa - Parcells - Knight crowd, which is all one needs to know about him.

At least those three arse-wipes won. For Crean, it's all of the douchebaggery, none of the titles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
Saying something this stupid would disqualify one from becoming my friend.

Thank God  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:21:47 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
Sorry, the current division choice by UNO is only slightly above my interest in the consistency of PRNs bowel movements.

Fair enough, but in the future you will be able to properly say they are in Division I.  Maybe you can win a beer or something in a trivia contest at the bar yucking it up about fake twitter accounts.   ;)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
Understood, but they pulled out of it and remain DI, unlike the claim they are "now DII or DIII."  This was also 2011, not 2007.  They did the initial start down that path, but pulled back. I call it tempted, you can call it what you want.  They clearly didn't go all the way, describe it as you wish...they are DI.

Let us also remember that the DII transition came after they started down the path of a DIII transition in 2009, formalizing the paperwork in early 2010 to reclassify to DIII.

To be clear, New Orleans is a unique case and has had incredible problems throughout the organization. Partly due to Katrina, partly not. Buzz's head coaching job there was very unique in its challenges and what he undeservedly and unexpected faced.   

BTW, Crean's got a monster buyout due if I4 sent him packing today. Why don't the masses or the school report it instead of the incorrect info?!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
Methinks there would be zero chance of KO, or a guy like him, getting hired at Marquette now.

Everybody loved Majerus until he became the head coach. Then even the players he recruited hated him.

I didn't know Crean. I do know he likes to hang with that whole La Russa - Parcells - Knight crowd, which is all one needs to know about him.

At least those three arse-wipes won. For Crean, it's all of the douchebaggery, none of the titles.

I'd agree with 99.9% of this.

It took most of those guys a long time to win those titles.  We'll see what happens at the end of his career.  The ironic thing about those three arse-wipes, their players often swear by them as leaders, coaches, etc.  Similar to many of TC's former players.  I guess one other common point is that none of those guys really gave a damn about what the fans thought, the administrators, etc...they're not out there to please you or I (the fans, etc), or have a beer with us and be cool at the Harp or Turners.  They are consumed with their teams, trying to do it the right way (not always succeeding) and generally trying to make better men of their players not athletically but beyond that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »

If Knight isn't the most brilliant college basketball coach of all time (I think he is) he's certainly in the team picture. Parcells and LaRussa are lesser lights, but hall of famers nonetheless. I cut them some slack because they're from a generation where douchbaggery was common among coaches. Crean doesn't share their excuse or their ability.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »
Cable hard. A cat couldnt scratch 'em.

Metamucil.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »
BTW, Crean's got a monster buyout due if I4 sent him packing today. Why don't the masses or the school report it instead of the incorrect info?!

Just curious, what's the number for Buzz?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
I'd agree with 99.9% of this.

It took most of those guys a long time to win those titles.  We'll see what happens at the end of his career.  The ironic thing about those three arse-wipes, their players often swear by them as leaders, coaches, etc.  Similar to many of TC's former players.  I guess one other common point is that none of those guys really gave a damn about what the fans thought, the administrators, etc...they're not out there to please you or I (the fans, etc), or have a beer with us and be cool at the Harp or Turners.  They are consumed with their teams, trying to do it the right way (not always succeeding) and generally trying to make better men of their players not athletically but beyond that.

Yes, all the players Knight didn't choke swore by him!

Seriously, Bobby was an amazing basketball coach. But do take a look at his record after he got Indiana to the Final Four in 1992. Lots of double-digit-loss seasons, little NCAA tourney success.

It seems even the great Bobby Knight had to recruit elite athletes to win, and they simply stopped wanting to play for him.

There were too many great coaching options, and too many great schools, from which to choose without having to subject yourself to that kind of abuse.

Bobby was the classic example of a coach who thought he was bigger than the university -- and in his case, for most of his time there, he was. When the rest of the university started getting humiliated by his antics -- and, of course, when the big-time winning stopped -- he became yesterday's news.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
Let us also remember that the DII transition came after they started down the path of a DIII transition in 2009, formalizing the paperwork in early 2010 to reclassify to DIII.

To be clear, New Orleans is a unique case and has had incredible problems throughout the organization. Partly due to Katrina, partly not. Buzz's head coaching job there was very unique in its challenges and what he undeservedly and unexpected faced.  

Why don't you produce that documentation?  Set us all straight.  

No one disputes the challenges at UNO.  You can also imagine why many of their fans with their luck down, their city underwater took at as an enormous kick in the balls.  I'm sure you can understand why some felt that way....whether they are wrong or right only they can answer as that was their impression under those circumstances.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:07:42 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
Yes, all the players Knight didn't choke swore by him!

Seriously, Bobby was an amazing basketball coach. But do take a look at his record after he got Indiana to the Final Four in 1992. Lots of double-digit-loss seasons, little NCAA tourney success.

It seems even the great Bobby Knight had to recruit elite athletes to win, and they simply stopped wanting to play for him.

There were too many great coaching options, and too many great schools, from which to choose without having to subject yourself to that kind of abuse.

Bobby was the classic example of a coach who thought he was bigger than the university -- and in his case, for most of his time there, he was. When the rest of the university started getting humiliated by his antics -- and, of course, when the big-time winning stopped -- he became yesterday's news.

No argument from me.  It took Wooden forever to win a title.  Dean Smith would go the Final Four often but few championships.  Boeheim was labeled as a poor coach for not winning it all until he finally won it all.  La Russa won a WS title in year 13, took 17 years later to win the next one. Look at all the Lebron B.S. by the experts the last few years.  It's the culture we live in.

I had the pleasure \ misfortune of being a grad asst at IU during Bobby's tenure toward the end of his IU career.  It wasn't pretty.  Great coach, solid person (to some...horrible to others).  There are people that would swear by him, and those that hate his guts.  Sounds like a few bosses I've known and a whole lot of other coaches I've known.  They aren't there to play footsie with the fans, but some fans think they should be to get high on their lovable rating.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
.  Sounds like a few bosses I've known and a whole lot of other coaches I've known.  They aren't there to play footsie with the fans, but some fans think they should be to get high on their lovable rating.

Has nothing to do playing footsie, lovable ratings or any other nonsense/BS. Very simple. People who aren't total pricks have trouble working for or rooting for guys who are. People who are don't.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »
This thread *should* have been 2 posts long.  So we'll shut it down now, and everyone can try to move along...

feedback