Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: RIP Dean the Dream  (Read 16723 times)

squirrel

• Walk-On
Re: RIP Dean the Dream
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
 :( RIP Dean

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
Dean, played on by far the best MU team in 1970 with Chones in the middle, Brell and Lackey on the wings and Allie.  Loved that team, to bad they did not have a shot clock back
then as they would have run teams out of the gym with Dean.  Not a great shooter but great, I mean great ball handler and driver to the hoop.  In some ways, Al held the team back
with his simple simon offense.  The only game Dean fouled out of was that Ohio St. reffing fiasco, he had 3 charging calls against him.  That reff ruined a potential UCLA-MU game,
to bad.  MU was big back then, but beating UCLA would have been sweet.  Three charging calls that game, was that ridiculous or what.  Still bugs me.  Rest in peace Dean, who still
bring great memories.  I have one other to share, was at the field house in Madison against Kentucky and Adolp Rupp's segregated team, remember all the confederate flags up there.
The place was nuts, best game I ever saw.  MU took a big lead early, Dean stole the ball and went for a lay-up, back then you could not dunk (Lew Alcdndor rule) Dean had to be 2
ft. over the rim and layed it up soft.  The place erupted, louder than I have ever heard the fieldhouse sound.  Back then Wisconsin did not play to the standards they play now and the
whole crowd was against Kentucky.  It was amazing. 

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
78-9 As a Warrior.... Rest in Peace "Dream"

IMO...the best Marquette ever had

augoman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
truly a sad day to lose one of the greats.  With some redundancy, I can still picture the Dream dribbling the ball between Bob Pearcy's legs on the way to the basket in the first Warrior Alumni game at MUHS. He ran the game and controlled all 10 players on the court.  He could make them do whatever he wanted.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
To BC Hoopster---You are right on. I remember that game. WE DID GET SCREWED! I know, I said a few choice words. It would have been interesting against UCLA. I think that was the biggest "screw job" MU
has ever had. And Al vs. Wooden.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
I do not remember, but was Alcindor gone that already, was it the Wicks-Rowe-Patterson team that year, advise?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
I attended that memorable game vs tOSU in Athens, GA. Jim McDaniel and Western Kentucky beat Rupp's Kentucky team with Payne in the middle. Had we beaten WKU, Sidney Wicks and UCLA sans Alcindor was on the horizon.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 02:47:42 PM »
I've watched the Warriors for 50 years - Dean the Dream is clearly the best point guard to wear the Blue and Gold during that time. Nice guy too. RIP, Dean.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »
I've watched the Warriors for 50 years - Dean the Dream is clearly the best point guard to wear the Blue and Gold during that time. Nice guy too. RIP, Dean.

Really? I mean not trying to dishonor the guy as I wasn't even a thought in my dads head during his career but I mean better than Doc, Diener, tony smith, Dom James, Jim Boylan etc?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
Really? I mean not trying to dishonor the guy as I wasn't even a thought in my dads head during his career but I mean better than Doc, Diener, tony smith, Dom James, Jim Boylan etc?

Not even close, IMHO.

ecc5051

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
Keep in mind, that "The Dream" was the first big recruit for Al and put MU on the map. Dean was the first brick in the foundation for the home Al built. We have all enjoyed Al's home for the past 50 plus years with a variety of additions.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
Lenny
I agree that Dean was best PG in school history. I am a Lloyd Walton guy, but the Dream set the bar.

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »

As was said by others....not even in the same league...and no... that is not the "Old Man" in me speaking....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »

Anyone who knows better--correct me if I'm wrong--but I don't remember that either Doc or Tony Smith could really be classified as point guards.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »

Yes. Not really a close call.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »

How many of the players mentioned (besides Doc) had their numbers retired like The Dream's #14?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
Not even close, IMHO.

Eye witness as well and Lenny nailed it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
Dean was Marquette's first player to make the 1st team all American. Clearly diener, smith nor anyone else can match that.

Also, it was hilarious when my dad came to NYC to visit me and saw dean's son on ny 1 thinking it was Dean Sr, "this guy hasn't aged a bit!".

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »
Keep in mind, that "The Dream" was the first big recruit for Al and put MU on the map. Dean was the first brick in the foundation for the home Al built. We have all enjoyed Al's home for the past 50 plus years with a variety of additions.

Actually George Thompson was Al's first big recruit. But Dean Meminger was the very best point to ever play at Marquette.

Death on call

augoman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
Not even close, IMHO.

no question.  the finest.  he and Al made me an avid fan for 50 years.

goan

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
Dean was one of the best guards in MU history.

R.I.P

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
[quote author=ecc5051 link=

How about George "Brute Force" Thompson as precursor to "The Dream?"
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
Al once said fondly, "Dean paved my driveway." 
He or orchestrated the offense, smooth as silk; when MU went ahead in a game Dean took the ball and never turned it over. The one game in 1971 they lost was the only game he ever fouled out of in his three eligible years (freshman could not play varsity ball in those days). It was a terrible call against Ohio State in the Mideast Regionals. He was the first, the mold from which grew the great MU guard tradition.  He was the Dream and deserved a far better fate on this earth.
The angels better give him the ball when face the other guys.       

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2013, 11:31:31 PM »

DOC RIVERS!!!!!!!  Did Tom Crean write your MU history book?  DOC RIVERS!!!!!!!

What did Doc Rivers do at MU?

Seriously.  Please name it.  Please.  I beg you.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jefffla01

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2013, 11:42:38 PM »
I agree with other posters that Dean Meminger is the best point guard in MU history.

He was a very intelligent and creative pg, who found ways to probe and beat defenses.

Thank you for helping to propel MU basketball into the upper echelon, or as Coach Mcguire would say, taking MU uptown.

feedback