[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Paul White (PF) removes Marquette from his list  (Read 12712 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Paul White (PF) removes Marquette from his list
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 07:47:10 AM »

Cmon....you should know by now that good coaches only look at height, weight and recruiting rankings, and never bother actually looking at the players.

But seriously, I have no idea why willie is upset about this. 
Who said I was upset? Just said it was typical the reaction--we start dissing the kid and trashing that we did not need him anyway. I agree, we need more guards.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

leever

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »
Great news, MU is now considered the leader for a 6'9" 230 lb. big man from Serbia.  He should be in for a visit in late September.  His name is Ivan Renko.

I think you made an error.  Renko is only 6'8", so he's not a big!  Plus, I think he may have used up his eligibility.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:36 AM »
Who said I was upset? Just said it was typical the reaction--we start dissing the kid and trashing that we did not need him anyway. I agree, we need more guards.

No one is dissing the kid.  They are giving basketball-related reasons why MU isn't interested.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »

No one is dissing the kid.  They are giving basketball-related reasons why MU isn't interested.
Lets see: "shys away from being physical" "slow laterally", "wasn't the answer as a big anyway": implying he is not an MU type of player, etc. Yep. you are right.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »
Lets see: "shys away from being physical" "slow laterally", "wasn't the answer as a big anyway": implying he is not an MU type of player, etc. Yep. you are right.

The first two statements describe his game in the eyes of some people here.  The last one negates a common mis-perception that he plays like a "big."

I mean no offense, but if that is a "dis" then why even have a board to discuss these things?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
I don't know if I'm sold on Marquete losing interest in White given the reports that came out in the spring about Marquette going hardest after White.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
I thought he already committed to IU.

Nah, Crean's got his hands wrapped around on that Russian dude, Ivan Jacinoff.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »
I don't know if I'm sold on Marquete losing interest in White given the reports that came out in the spring about Marquette going hardest after White.

Those reports were not entirely accurate.  Trust me...Harris is the guy Buzz wanted and zeroed in on.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »

The first two statements describe his game in the eyes of some people here.  The last one negates a common mis-perception that he plays like a "big."

I mean no offense, but if that is a "dis" then why even have a board to discuss these things?

I have no idea whether we cooled on White, he cooled on us or some combination of both. I have, however, seen him play several times and at this point he plays almost exclusively on the perimeter. Maybe I caught him on off nights but I was underwhelmed.

For some reason Willie thinks that ripping the guys we sign and praising the ones we don't = objectivity. If we sucked under Buzz, I'd say his viewpoint has merit. We don't and it doesn't.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
Never said that we should rip the guys we sign. We also should not rip the guys that pass on us--that is unless they go to UW or No Dick.

I agree, we should continue to focus on guards, and hope that every 10 years we land an unknown like Ox. No reason to go after bigs anyway.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
Do you think the coaches are stupid, they know what they need?  It just is not easy to get those type of players.  It might be easier in spring as somebody will want to start, MU
has the spot.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »
I agree, we should continue to focus on guards, and hope that every 10 years we land an unknown like Ox. No reason to go after bigs anyway.

Are you really that unhappy about Buzz's recruiting and results, or is this just a new 'bit' you have developed?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
nm

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
Are you really that unhappy about Buzz's recruiting and results, or is this just a new 'bit' you have developed?

Don't know about your psychoanalytic skills, or any new bit you are searching for--just now believe that it is time to imbibe of all the kool aid we have here.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »
Don't know about your psychoanalytic skills, or any new bit you are searching for--just now believe that it is time to imbibe of all the kool aid we have here.

Just because people aren't as upset as you are about Buzz's recruiting doesn't mean they are "drinking the Kool-aid".

That's silly. You know that.

brandx

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
Never said that we should rip the guys we sign. We also should not rip the guys that pass on us--that is unless they go to UW or No Dick.

6'11", 6'9", 6'8", 6'8".

My God, we'll be starting 5 guards this year!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
Just because people aren't as upset as you are about Buzz's recruiting doesn't mean they are "drinking the Kool-aid".

That's silly.

Yes.

You know that.

Well...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
willie demands buzz sign a 5 star big now...if he doesn't (well he hasn't really defined that part yet)...

i get not being happy with the average talent of big men MU has got to commit, but there are so many variables that i think the only ultimate evaluation of recruiting is wins and losses.  buzz is fine and i'm sure he's working as hard or harder than anyone else to get better.  we could go the UW route, then willie would demand we recruit better guards or switchables...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »
The team Buzz inherited had a 6'8" center who couldn't throw a ball in the ocean if he was standing on the shoreline. The rest of the lineup was 6'5", 6'5", 6'1", 5'11". Year 2 our center was a 6'5" small forward and our guards went 5'11" 165 and 5'8" 150. We've come a long (and tall and wide) way since.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »
I have no idea whether we cooled on White, he cooled on us or some combination of both. I have, however, seen him play several times and at this point he plays almost exclusively on the perimeter. Maybe I caught him on off nights but I was underwhelmed.

For some reason Willie thinks that ripping the guys we sign and praising the ones we don't = objectivity. If we sucked under Buzz, I'd say his viewpoint has merit. We don't and it doesn't.

I think what WW is pointing out is what all fans tend to do.  We sign a kid and "he's a great get"..."he'll help the team"..."really good in the block", blah blah blah.  We lose a kid, and a bunch of people saying "damn, he would have been great here".  There are exceptions, especially for kids that are very highly regarded....no doubt.

Some examples can be found when we we signed Durley, Roseboro, etc where he was the cat's meow until they weren't.  I don't find it abnormal, it's part of a fan psyche.  A guy leaves for free agency from his favorite team "we don't need him anyway"..."not worth the cost"....etc.  Same team signs another player, sometimes of lesser value at similar cost and you would think its the greatest move ever made by a GM.  Is what it is...fans being fans....emotions over intelligence.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »
I think what WW is pointing out is what all fans tend to do.  We sign a kid and "he's a great get"..."he'll help the team"..."really good in the block", blah blah blah.  We lose a kid, and a bunch of people saying "damn, he would have been great here".  There are exceptions, especially for kids that are very highly regarded....no doubt.

Some examples can be found when we we signed Durley, Roseboro, etc where he was the cat's meow until they weren't.  I don't find it abnormal, it's part of a fan psyche.  A guy leaves for free agency from his favorite team "we don't need him anyway"..."not worth the cost"....etc.  Same team signs another player, sometimes of lesser value at similar cost and you would think its the greatest move ever made by a GM.  Is what it is...fans being fans....emotions over intelligence.

Three kind of fans - kool aid drinkers, realists and contrarians. When I pointed out an obvious red flags on Durley (lots of DNPs as a high school senior, not much production, etc) I took a lot of grief from the kool aiders. Willie's worse, though. The idea that anything less than a 5 star center is unacceptable at MU is insane, but saying wacky stuff is one way to get attention, I guess.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
The team Buzz inherited had a 6'8" center who couldn't throw a ball in the ocean if he was standing on the shoreline. The rest of the lineup was 6'5", 6'5", 6'1", 5'11". Year 2 our center was a 6'5" small forward and our guards went 5'11" 165 and 5'8" 150. We've come a long (and tall and wide) way since.

But wait ... according to a source* the previous coach left Buzz a pat team!

(*TC)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »
Three kind of fans - kool aid drinkers, realists and contrarians. When I pointed out an obvious red flags on Durley (lots of DNPs as a high school senior, not much production, etc) I took a lot of grief from the kool aiders. Willie's worse, though. The idea that anything less than a 5 star center is unacceptable at MU is insane, but saying wacky stuff is one way to get attention, I guess.
Yeah lenny, except I never said that anything less than a 5 star center is unacceptable--but then you never do get it right. What I have said is that making excuses for never doing it is unacceptable, and never getting one is also unacceptable. You sure can be your judge as to what is insane. When somebody says something you do not agree with, then it is insane. Must be a lot of insanity in your world. Have a great day in that life.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »
"Unacceptable".    And what, pray tell, will the consequences be from your perspective if MU continues down this road?    Sweet 16's and Elite 8's without an acceptable big?   Ye Gods, man, Buzz continues to try to land bigs.    While continuing to win with what he has.  What more do you want?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »

Except we didn't lose him.  We stopped recruiting him because we preferred someone else.  That is where willie's (and your) statement falls apart.