'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: AJerseyGuy: Ackerman leading way for “new ” Big East  (Read 26696 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: AJerseyGuy: Ackerman leading way for “new ” Big East
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
Because Creighton has success that significantly adds to our resume (18 > 6), already has fans so there's no waiting period or gamble, its in a city people will go to and not get shot, had an inside man to help get them into the league.  You pick

Exactly.  All reasons besides market size that are important.  Davidson's success outside of the Curry era has been marginal and largely based on their conference affiliation.  They have a small alumni base.  Play in a small gym.  The only think that could possibly help them is their market size, but they are even a bit player in that market. 

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
Everyone realizes the Big East is at most 3 weeks away from starting competitions (soccer, golf, track, etc).  Or maybe you don't because THERE IS NO WEBSITE LET ALONE PUBLISHED SCHEDULES!!!!!  We're the exclamation points too much?  Seriously I'm not looking for some sort of advanced, interactive web platform with tons of flash and huge marketing splash, but a straight forward webpage with links and some basic structure is a must.  Would take 2 UWM marketing majors a week to do something like that.

Devil is in the details, get this crap organized and get moving

Um there are published schedules. I know the soccer schedules are published on all the school's websites. All the fall schedules are already taken care of.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
She's doing a bang-up job with the website

http://www.bigeast.org/

Read in another article the website was on hold until a commissioner was hired. Hopefully it'll be online by August 17 when FS1 launches.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »

Exactly.  All reasons besides market size that are important.  Davidson's success outside of the Curry era has been marginal and largely based on their conference affiliation.  They have a small alumni base.  Play in a small gym.  The only think that could possibly help them is their market size, but they are even a bit player in that market.  
And, Davidson is about 25 miles outside of Charlotte.  Not truly "in market" either. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2013, 07:15:55 PM »
Now that the server issues are solved, I'll post the Nielsen market list when I get to a computer.  Ft. Meyers, FL is a bigger market than Dayton.  Bring on Florida Gulf Coast!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
Why do people like Richmond better then VCU,  VCU, Draws more people to games, Is a much bigger school, and Has had success with multiple coachs.  Is a nationally known Team and has had lots of success the last 5-10 years.  If its between Richmond and Dayton I take Dayton.  At least they have been OK and have good support.  Richmond would be worse then Depaul and Seton Hall.

Georgetown reportedly likes Richmond, maybe because they are in the East, are very good academically, and have a FCS football team like Georgetown.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
And, Davidson is about 25 miles outside of Charlotte.  Not truly "in market" either. 

Proximity to the center of the market doesn't have any bearing on their presence in the market. For 99% of schools regarding their nearest TV market, you are either in or out. I would agree that they aren't a heavy player in their market, but they do have at least a minimal presence in 3 of the top-10 college basketball television markets. Not saying I would use that as a reason to take them, though.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
Proximity to the center of the market doesn't have any bearing on their presence in the market. For 99% of schools regarding their nearest TV market, you are either in or out. I would agree that they aren't a heavy player in their market, but they do have at least a minimal presence in 3 of the top-10 college basketball television markets. Not saying I would use that as a reason to take them, though.

I'd say UNC-Charlotte is probably top dog (NCAA men's basketball-wise) in that market anyway.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
All true, but it is a small school and is 25 miles from Charlotte.  Beautiful campus, but...............

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
Here's the most recent Nielsen Market rankings.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2013, 02:31:39 PM »
I'd say UNC-Charlotte Chapel Hill is probably top dog (NCAA men's basketball-wise) in that market anyway.

FIFY
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2013, 03:27:01 PM »
FIFY

Was referring to schools actually located in that market, but fair enough, your point is well taken.