[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: AJerseyGuy: Ackerman leading way for “new ” Big East  (Read 26682 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: AJerseyGuy: Ackerman leading way for “new ” Big East
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »
VCU and Gonzaga. Unless the Zags say no, then it is SLU.

And Dayton even thinking they have a chance of being in the BEast anytime soon is...cute. They bring us nothing other than a lukewarm rivalry with Xavier. I'd go Wichita State, Davidson, or Richmond before I'd even look at Dayton.

Sorry but no. SLU is head and shoulders above VCU. You may not like it, but there is no way VCU gets in and SLU is left out. Better school, better facilities, better financials, better market, better arena, better fit, better overall athletic profile (esp soccer), marginally lesser basketball program...emphasis on "marginally".

Only way they're not involved at 12 is if Notre Dame comes crawling back for some unknown reason with Gonzaga.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

brandx

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »
We're not talking about splitting the atom and landing a man on Mars. It's building a damn website. Something most teenagers could do in a few hours.

You're still living in the 90's with HTML language and a few simple links. I even created a few back then so you know it had to be easy.

Things have changed a bit now. Let's get the website up and running and then see if it stacks up.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
Sorry but no. SLU is head and shoulders above VCU. You may not like it, but there is no way VCU gets in and SLU is left out. Better school, better facilities, better financials, better market, better arena, better fit, better overall athletic profile (esp soccer), marginally lesser basketball program...emphasis on "marginally".

Only way they're not involved at 12 is if Notre Dame comes crawling back for some unknown reason with Gonzaga.

Only thing SLU has on VCU is a better media market. They are a better school academically, but frankly, I don't care that much. Its not like VCU is UNLV. We'd all be jumping at the chance to add Memphis or Louisville if they dropped football. I don't know much about SLU or VCU's other sports, again I don't care that much. Just like only football matters in the other Big 6 conferences, only basketball matters here.

And "marginally" is not a fair assessment of the difference between SLU and VCU's basketball programs. SLU has been to the tournament FIVE times in the last FIFTY FIVE YEARS. That's once every 11 years. Meanwhile, VCU has been 11 times in the last 33 years. Over twice as many appearances in nearly half the time. And one of those was a final four.

In addition, VCU enters this season as a consensus top 25 team and favorite to win their conference. SLU is possibly a tournament team but they will fall off from last season. Smart has stocked his recruiting classes with four stars and high threes. Crews has landed a few low three stars and a bunch of two stars. VCU is trending up, SLU is trending down.

Finally, VCU has Smart. Coaches make programs, not players. He has already turned down a blue blood to stay at VCU and is signed to at least 2017 if I remember correctly. Now coaches can bail, its true, but I really think he is sticking around for at least another year or two, enough time to keep VCU trending up toward perennial competitor. Meanwhile, Crews is a past his prime assistant who only found success last season because he got to bank on what Majerus left him.

Don't get me wrong, I think SLU does get added. I just think they are the third best option, after Gonzaga and VCU. (Unless we could get Notre Dame or get UCONN to drop football)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »
Can someone please tell me why there is such an immense anti-Dayton sentiment on this board? At least some of it seams irrational (such as wanting Davidson over Dayton). Dayton has a nice arena, is a catholic school situated in a heavily populated region of the country, has a passionate fan base, and has historically been a pretty good team. Not to mention, we have a little bit of history with Dayton - they are 13th in teams that we have faced off against most in our history. Is it because Chris Wright jumped over Maurice Acker at that tournament a few years ago?

I say keep it private, urban, and easterly skewed - even in this day and age, conference identity should count for something.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »
There was no first time yet.  The site is simply a shell currently.  Seriously doubt a slow roll-out of the website, etc. will have any bearing on the future of the BE.

Of course there was a first time.  The league is "live" and they have a web-site up.  And it sucks.

There are start up companies in people's basement with a better web-presence than the Big East Conference.  That's pathetic.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:20 AM »
Only thing SLU has on VCU is a better media market. They are a better school academically, but frankly, I don't care that much. Its not like VCU is UNLV. We'd all be jumping at the chance to add Memphis or Louisville if they dropped football.

<snip>

(Unless we could get Notre Dame or get UCONN to drop football)

With the new "super division" looming, there is zero chance that ACC members ND or Louisville drop football.  Perhaps UConn or Memphis would down the line, but only as a last resort and that will be years in the future.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »
Can someone please tell me why there is such an immense anti-Dayton sentiment on this board? At least some of it seams irrational (such as wanting Davidson over Dayton). Dayton has a nice arena, is a catholic school situated in a heavily populated region of the country, has a passionate fan base, and has historically been a pretty good team. Not to mention, we have a little bit of history with Dayton - they are 13th in teams that we have faced off against most in our history. Is it because Chris Wright jumped over Maurice Acker at that tournament a few years ago?

I say keep it private, urban, and easterly skewed - even in this day and age, conference identity should count for something.

I think a lot of it is because the Dayton fans who have come here have been complete pricks.  Especially UDPride....god I would love if he came back.  But since his glorious prediction that no A10 schools would jump to the NBE, he has been absent.

Honestly, if we aren't going to take public schools, and we are limiting the conference to the east coast and midwest, Dayton would be my choice for #12.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
Only thing SLU has on VCU is a better media market. They are a better school academically, but frankly, I don't care that much.

I'm assuming you're saying SLU is better academically.
We'd all be jumping at the chance to add Memphis or Louisville if they dropped football.
Where does this view come from that VCU is comparable to Memphis and Louisville? Seriously, WHERE?
And "marginally" is not a fair assessment of the difference between SLU and VCU's basketball programs. SLU has been to the tournament FIVE times in the last FIFTY FIVE YEARS. That's once every 11 years. Meanwhile, VCU has been 11 times in the last 33 years. Over twice as many appearances in nearly half the time. And one of those was a final four.
One of those was also the ONLY time they've ever been to the second weekend of the tournament. Ever. And they probably shouldn't have even gotten in.

Both those sound pretty marginal to me. SLU had to compete against us, DePaul, Louisville, Cincy, and Memphis in the CUSA. So that's not all that surprising.
In addition, VCU enters this season as a consensus top 25 team and favorite to win their conference. SLU is possibly a tournament team but they will fall off from last season.
SLU is probably a tournament team. They didn't lose much from last year when they won the A10 over VCU.
Finally, VCU has Smart.

Who the current coach is is the dumbest reason to pick one school over another.
Coaches make programs, not players.
So what happens when he leaves? And he WILL leave.
Don't get me wrong, I think SLU does get added. I just think they are the third best option, after Gonzaga and VCU. (Unless we could get Notre Dame or get UCONN to drop football)
That's fine. Think what you want, but the president's will want SLU first, their Jesuit tradition, nearly $1 billion endowment, and market.

I know you said that the other programs don;t matter, but I believe they do to a limited degree - and just want to add that SLU is a blue-blood of soccer.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:34:29 AM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
Maybe they're making sure the correct content is published on the site.  It would be equally as crappy if they threw something together really fast for the sake of putting it up.  Rather what they currently have there now than a website full of misinformation and bugs. 

Everyone realizes the Big East is at most 3 weeks away from starting competitions (soccer, golf, track, etc).  Or maybe you don't because THERE IS NO WEBSITE LET ALONE PUBLISHED SCHEDULES!!!!!  We're the exclamation points too much?  Seriously I'm not looking for some sort of advanced, interactive web platform with tons of flash and huge marketing splash, but a straight forward webpage with links and some basic structure is a must.  Would take 2 UWM marketing majors a week to do something like that.

Devil is in the details, get this crap organized and get moving
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
Get SLU and Richmond, then close the gates. 

and has historically been a pretty good team.

One NCAA win since 1990 says that history is also ancient.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »

If Dayton were in Kentucky or Western Pennsylvania or Michigan they'd be in. But they're in Ohio less than one hour away from another member.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
If Dayton were in Kentucky or Western Pennsylvania or Michigan they'd be in. But they're in Ohio less than one hour away from another member.

I don't know if I agree with that.  I don't think proximity to Xavier is the only thing keeping them out.

Look, Xavier and Butler were no-brainers.  Creighton got a big boost from MU and got in...perhaps aided by the issues at SLU.  We have been given some "leads" as to who the next members will be.  SLU very likely...Dayton or Richmond for the last spot.   

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
She's doing a bang-up job with the website

http://www.bigeast.org/

Did you forget to put this in teal?

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
Why do people like Richmond better then VCU,  VCU, Draws more people to games, Is a much bigger school, and Has had success with multiple coachs.  Is a nationally known Team and has had lots of success the last 5-10 years.  If its between Richmond and Dayton I take Dayton.  At least they have been OK and have good support.  Richmond would be worse then Depaul and Seton Hall.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
Why do people like Richmond better then VCU,  VCU, Draws more people to games, Is a much bigger school, and Has had success with multiple coachs.  Is a nationally known Team and has had lots of success the last 5-10 years.  If its between Richmond and Dayton I take Dayton.  At least they have been OK and have good support.  Richmond would be worse then Depaul and Seton Hall.

The only reason that Richmond is in the discussion is because of two assumptions...

1. The NBE isn't interested in public universities.  (so no VCU), and
2. The eastern members want some sort of east/midwest balance  (so if SLU gets an invite, there is no room for Dayton.)

And outside of Richmond, there isn't another private university in the east that makes any sort of sense.  You end up talking about schools like Duquesne, Sienna, St. Bonaventure, and their ilk. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »

The only reason that Richmond is in the discussion is because of two assumptions...

2. The eastern members want some sort of east/midwest balance  (so if SLU gets an invite, there is no room for Dayton.)

And outside of Richmond, there isn't another private university in the east that makes any sort of sense.  You end up talking about schools like Duquesne, Sienna, St. Bonaventure, and their ilk. 

+ they're RICH!!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
Did you forget to put this in teal?

Didn't think that was necessary...

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
There's the BW3 Dayton commercial and then there's also the hilarious Dayton Hitler video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1cwq8-SBQ\

Notice that nobody ever made a parody for SLU or VCU or anybody else.  Nope, just Dayton.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »

With the new "super division" looming, there is zero chance that ACC members ND or Louisville drop football.  Perhaps UConn or Memphis would down the line, but only as a last resort and that will be years in the future.

As long as ND is commited to staying independent in Football, I see no reason they would not be accepted in the Big East.  They already turned down the "Big 10" where they would have made far more money than they do now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »

That's one way of saying it. Another would be Georgetown is afraid of VCU and not of Richmond.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
Didn't think that was necessary...

Just checking. . . i'm sure someone out there (in addition to Val Ackerman) actually does think this is a great start.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
There's the BW3 Dayton commercial and then there's also the hilarious Dayton Hitler video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1cwq8-SBQ\

Notice that nobody ever made a parody for SLU or VCU or anybody else.  Nope, just Dayton.

Thinking about this, why would a lack of interest in SLU or VCU be good for the league?

If you're trying to create intense rivalries that would keep people interested, it sounds like Dayton should be the #1 choice. 

Everyone in the league seems to hate them. 

And they seem to hate everyone else. 

So why would the league prefer a milquetoast team like SLU or Richmond that won't generate passions from anyone? 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
Thinking about this, why would a lack of interest in SLU or VCU be good for the league?

If you're trying to create intense rivalries that would keep people interested, it sounds like Dayton should be the #1 choice. 

Everyone in the league seems to hate them. 

And they seem to hate everyone else. 

So why would the league prefer a milquetoast team like SLU or Richmond that won't generate passions from anyone? 

Fair point. But the reason we hate them is they would be bad for the league.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
Just checking. . . i'm sure someone out there (in addition to Val Ackerman) actually does think this is a great start.

Its bad enough that its still a placeholder website. Its hilarious that it has her mug right in the middle of it. This conference is not about her. Its about the teams.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »
Fair point. But the reason we hate them is they would be bad for the league.

They couldn't be any worse than Seton Hall or DePaul have been

Its bad enough that its still a placeholder website. Its hilarious that it has her mug right in the middle of it. This conference is not about her. Its about the teams.

With her head there, the first thing that came to mind was that old Deee-Lite video with the heads floating in the background of the video.