collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443859 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1775 on: December 21, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
Interesting talk out there about the lack of traditional ownership on the Packers side hurting their decision making down the stretch here.

Decision making regarding what?

brandx

« Reply #1776 on: December 21, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »
Interesting talk out there about the lack of traditional ownership on the Packers side hurting their decision making down the stretch here.

No, they aren't gonna fire Ted Thompson. And he is the one that makes the football decisions. Doctors make medical decisions on broken bones no matter how team is owned or run.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1777 on: December 21, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »
Specific decicision makers are in place no different than any other organization. Not like they need to put it to board vote. The only decision to make in this case is medical. The bone is not healed. That type of crack on the collar bone is an 8 to 10 week recovery.  Its not hard to figure out.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1778 on: December 21, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

You'll need to spell it out for me. 

Because the Jerry Jones model works so much better?
Ludum habemus.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1779 on: December 21, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
Word is McCarthy and Rodgers are pissed at Thompson. Right or wrong, I have no clue on. McCarthy is pissed because he feel it should be his/Rodgers call. Thompson said Rodgers is not playing.

With no traditional ownership structure, the football decisions start end with Thompson. Some out there in WI and national media feel the power structure is a conflict here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1780 on: December 21, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
Word is McCarthy and Rodgers are pissed at Thompson. Right or wrong, I have no clue on. McCarthy is pissed because he feel it should be his/Rodgers call. Thompson said Rodgers is not playing.

With no traditional ownership structure, the football decisions start end with Thompson. Some out there in WI and national media feel the power structure is a conflict here.

I would rather have the football decisions end with Thompson and not some owner who has no clue.

The Packers structure has shown over the past 20 years that clear definitions over who has authority works very well.  The results speak for themselves.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1781 on: December 21, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »

So what is your theory?  That Rodgers could push the issue but he didn't really want to?

Figured it was exactly what dish is describing. Rodgers medically could play but the front office and doctors will not let him play. The bone is healed enough but is also more likely to be reinjured more seriously.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1782 on: December 21, 2013, 04:17:50 PM »
The only fault I see is they are not up front with injuries. They could avoid a lot of this if they just told us what is going on. As far as Rodgers, what does the front office have to gain by not playing him? If there is risk of re injury, he shouldn't play.

brandx

« Reply #1783 on: December 21, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »
Quite simple to tell when a broken bone has healed fully. It's not McCarthy's decision or Thompson's - and not a pain issue - simply is the bone fully healed or not.

You don't send the future of the franchise out with a broken bone that is not fully healed especially in a vulnerable spot of the body.

I guess Bear fans aren't used to a proper decision making process (at least under Angelo - I expect Emery to be a lot smarter).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1784 on: December 21, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »
Dish is about as level-headed football fan on this board.  He isn't even advocating for a certain POV.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1785 on: December 21, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
I only shared what I heard. It's very difficult to argue the Packer way, and I'm a firm believer in its success. Just thought it was interesting to hear some media commenting on it. Ted Thompson can run any football team I cheer for any day of the week.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1786 on: December 21, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »
There are multiple issues as work here one under the "organizations" control, the other not.  First, is the fact that the organization has bungled this from a messaging standpoint from the beginning.  They should have come out and said, Rodgers will play when he is medically cleared, no matter what coaches or the players think.  This "Rodgers watch" every week opens them up to second guessing and speculation.  The second is that because it is a bone, it heals at it's own pace and there is nothing they can do about it.

I do question the medical staff at times because they seem to have issues diagnosing and preventing injuries.  How many hamstring injuries have they had in the last 2 years?  May be crack pot, but I really do think they are being unnecessarily conservative here.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1787 on: December 21, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »
There are multiple issues as work here one under the "organizations" control, the other not.  First, is the fact that the organization has bungled this from a messaging standpoint from the beginning.  They should have come out and said, Rodgers will play when he is medically cleared, no matter what coaches or the players think.  This "Rodgers watch" every week opens them up to second guessing and speculation.  The second is that because it is a bone, it heals at it's own pace and there is nothing they can do about it.

I do question the medical staff at times because they seem to have issues diagnosing and preventing injuries.  How many hamstring injuries have they had in the last 2 years?  May be crack pot, but I really do think they are being unnecessarily conservative here.

Because it's more important that fans don't question what is going on behind the scenes than it is to keep the upcoming opponent guessing as to who they will be facing at quarterback the next week until practices are done for the week...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1788 on: December 22, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Because it's more important that fans don't question what is going on behind the scenes than it is to keep the upcoming opponent guessing as to who they will be facing at quarterback the next week until practices are done for the week...

Given the nature of the injury do you really think any opponents were "guessing" which QB would play?  And McCarthy prides himself on "not playing games", and that's all this was.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1789 on: December 22, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »
Cowboys doing everything possible to lose.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1790 on: December 22, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
Given the nature of the injury do you really think any opponents were "guessing" which QB would play?  And McCarthy prides himself on "not playing games", and that's all this was.

If you think the Steelers heard that on Wednesday Rodgers was taking first team snaps and just said to themselves "Don't worry about Rodgers, let's gameplan solely for Flynn" then I think you're wrong.  So to answer your question, yes.  I don't think the Packers organization is as worried about the fans being disappointed when they find out Rodgers isn't playing as they are concerned with giving their opponent something extra to think about going into the weekend.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1791 on: December 22, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »
This is polarizing to watch.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1792 on: December 22, 2013, 03:13:25 PM »
Cowboys doing everything possible to lose.

They actually played well in the first half and 4th quarter....3rd quarter was a repeat of last week.  Trailing by 9, they actually ran the ball.  Balance, and they won.

Crazy

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1793 on: December 22, 2013, 04:47:53 PM »
Going into second halves in GB & Det, things getting interesting for Bears...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1794 on: December 22, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »
You'll need to spell it out for me. 

Because the Jerry Jones model works so much better?

Only Dallas has that model, and no it doesn't work.  Most teams have a much better model setup.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1795 on: December 22, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
Wow, Lions done, Pack about to be on life support. Incredible..

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1796 on: December 22, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »
Wow, that penalty was HUGE.

Bears can win division tonight, STUNNING.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1797 on: December 22, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
I remember predicting, when Detroit was 6-3, that Detroit would finish closer to 7-9/ 8-8.   The culture, the karma of this franchise is just astounding.    Barry Sanders, wasted career.   Calvin Johnson, following suit.   On paper, the Lions SHOULD be 10-5.   But paper doesn't measure heart, and the Lions simply don't have it.   I don't think there will be a shake up of the roster, but I can almost that a 'For Sale' sign is going up in front of Jimmie's house.  I look for the next coach to be one with the reputation of being a disciplinarian, for Stafford to get a new QB coach, for Detroit to spend their draft picks on a supplementary receiver and back-7 help.     
  But kudos, Lions, you have, as always, find a creative, outside-the-box way to lose. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1798 on: December 22, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
That last 30 seconds by the Packers was Cowboyesque....WTF where they doing.  Forget the penalty, why are they running it with 20 seconds left and no timeouts?  Why, with 10 seconds left didn't they spike the ball immediately to get two plays preserved...it was 2nd down.  My son lost his mind...."son, now you know how dad feels the last 17 years with the Cowboys...it's time for your first shot of Whiskey"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1799 on: December 22, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
For those that said start times of these games don't matter...I rest my case. Kelly may play hard and play everyone, but if this is a two TD Bear lead in 4th, those guys are coming out.

If you're a Packer fan, you should be outraged this game was flexed. Gigantic advantage Bears.