2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443771 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1625 on: December 15, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »
You don't really believe that, do you? Top 5 in the NFL? He's averaging under 4 yards per carry. Let's put it this way, which four guys are you taking off the list below (from the top of my head. I could be missing someone)?

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Alfred Morris
Matt Forte
Jamaal Charles
Shady McCoy
Reggie Bush
DeMarco Murray

Top 5 was a bit of an exaggeration, but I do think he is a top tier running back.  He did not start the year well (even in the preseason he didn't look very good).  Since returning from his concussion he has looked like as good of a power back as you can find.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: December 15, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
What's kinda funny is that any of us even care about this season (and I admit I kinda don't). Raise your hand if you think there's a team in the North, even if they get back to full strength that has a chance to win one game, let alone two or three against the likes of Seattle, SF, or New Orleans. Get NO on the road and you might have a shot, but the other two I just don't see how.

brandx

« Reply #1627 on: December 15, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
Just saw the QB that has the highest 4th quarter QBR on the season, begins with Cut ends with Ler.

Don't you ever even expect a star QB to win? We're talking once in eight years. Good QBs should be held to a higher standard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: December 15, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »
What's kinda funny is that any of us even care about this season (and I admit I kinda don't). Raise your hand if you think there's a team in the North, even if they get back to full strength that has a chance to win one game, let alone two or three against the likes of Seattle, SF, or New Orleans. Get NO on the road and you might have a shot, but the other two I just don't see how.

I absolutely think the Packers can make a run if they get into the Playoffs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: December 15, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »

You talking about the Green Bay Packers? Pretty sure I could rush for 100 yards against that defense. They have no chance of winning in the playoffs. Marshawn Lynch might put AJ Hawk in the hospital. Congrats on receiving your Homer card though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: December 15, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »
You talking about the Green Bay Packers? Pretty sure I could rush for 100 yards against that defense. They have no chance of winning in the playoffs. Marshawn Lynch might put AJ Hawk in the hospital. Congrats on receiving your Homer card though.

Hopefully we get a chance to find out.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: December 15, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »

I'm sorry, I'm far from a GB homer, but if you don't believe that a healthy Rodgers would make GB one of the most dangerous teams in the league you might want to schedule a head exam.

Yes, the defense is porous, but with Rodgers they are a team that can put up enough points to hang with/beat anyone.

But I don't think Rodgers will be actually healthy this year.  He may play, but won't be healthy.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: December 15, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
I think the Pack would be interesting if they make it, but if they have to go to Sea/Car/NO, I don't like their chances at all.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: December 15, 2013, 09:59:24 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm far from a GB homer, but if you don't believe that a healthy Rodgers would make GB one of the most dangerous teams in the league you might want to schedule a head exam.

Yes, the defense is porous, but with Rodgers they are a team that can put up enough points to hang with/beat anyone.

Dude, you're dreaming. Good offense and a terrible defense playing against a good offense and a good defense is not a recipe for success in the NFL playoffs. Did you happen to notice what SF did to them last year, or the NYG the year before? You can't just try to out score teams in the playoffs.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1634 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »

Packers defense is HORRENDOUS.  Almost as bad as Dallas.  No way they can make a deep run with that nonsense they call a defense.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: December 15, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »
Don't you ever even expect a star QB to win? We're talking once in eight years. Good QBs should be held to a higher standard.

I dont consider what he did before the Bears on 2 mediocre Broncos teams, despite being a Pro Bowler one of those years.

Of the 4 years in Chicago, his first was on a bad team, his second they made the playoffs, third he hurt his hand, last year they finished 10-6 which gets you in 75% of the time.  

So he's batting .333 in Chicago if you don't factor in quality of teams played on.  I don't get why QB assessment is always so black and white.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: December 15, 2013, 10:17:02 PM »
Cutler is a good, not great QB. I would think ther would be 100% agreement on that among objective people. Of course objectivity is not usually the first adjective that comes up when describing football fans.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: December 15, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
There's no prime time in Week 17, is there. So if the Packer-Bear game shapes up to be what it seems like it may be shaping up to be, they can't flex it, can they?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: December 15, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »
There's no prime time in Week 17, is there. So if the Packer-Bear game shapes up to be what it seems like it may be shaping up to be, they can't flex it, can they?

They can, they'll decide end of next Sunday night. Have to figure either Bears/Pack or Pokes/Eagles.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: December 15, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
They can, they'll decide end of next Sunday night. Have to figure either Bears/Pack or Pokes/Eagles.

Ok, so just no MNF then? Gonna be in FLA that week, and want to make sure I plan accordingly, cause if DET manages to lose tomorrow, its on.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: December 15, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »
Ok, so just no MNF then? Gonna be in FLA that week, and want to make sure I plan accordingly, cause if DET manages to lose tomorrow, its on.

You're correct, no MNF game that week.

If you want the betting lock of the year, take the over for McCoy rush yds vs Bears next Sunday night. Even if it's listed at 130, pound the over.

brandx

« Reply #1641 on: December 16, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »
Dude, you're dreaming. Good offense and a terrible defense playing against a good offense and a good defense is not a recipe for success in the NFL playoffs. Did you happen to notice what SF did to them last year, or the NYG the year before? You can't just try to out score teams in the playoffs.

I believe Rodgers won a SB with the 28th ranked defense a couple years ago - a defense that then lost 2 of their best players in the 1st half of that SB.

But if Cutler can get to the playoffs once every 8 years, he still has one more shot in his career.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: December 16, 2013, 06:59:07 AM »
I believe Rodgers won a SB with the 28th ranked defense a couple years ago - a defense that then lost 2 of their best players in the 1st half of that SB.

I believe you couldn't be more wrong. In 2010, they were 5th in yds allowed and 2nd in points allowed. That's almost 28th I guess.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: December 16, 2013, 07:45:46 AM »
I believe you couldn't be more wrong. In 2010, they were 5th in yds allowed and 2nd in points allowed. That's almost 28th I guess.

God I miss Nick Collins.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: December 16, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »
Packers defense is HORRENDOUS.  Almost as bad as Dallas.  No way they can make a deep run with that nonsense they call a defense.

Yeah making the playoffs would be fun and all, but even if they get past the likes of San Francisco in a wild card game, they would likely be making road trips to Seattle and New Orleans.  Not good.

And don't compare it to 2010 because that was obviously a good team that recovered from injuries just in time to make a run.  There aren't many injuries on the defensive side of the ball right now...or at least serious ones.  The reason they won that game yesterday is because the Cowboys only ran Murray 7 times in the second half.  (Unbelievable.)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: December 16, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »

If you want the betting lock of the year, take the over for McCoy rush yds vs Bears next Sunday night. Even if it's listed at 130, pound the over.

I tend to agree. If Briggs can come back though, I'd be a bit cautious with this one.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: December 16, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
The good news in all of this is that Packer and Bear fans still have football to care about going into week 16. Neither will be a threat in the playoffs, but a couple of weeks ago it looked like we'd all be 100% focused on MU BBall by now. I'll take as many Sundays as I can get.

Of course the Ravens really need to do their part tonight. Packers- Steelers at 3:25, followed by Bears-Eagles in prime time, and no work on Monday. I like that. Lions could suck the life right out of what could be a great day however, if they win their next two which will both take place before the Packers kick off.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:32:39 AM by NavinRJohnson »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: December 16, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »

Yeah making the playoffs would be fun and all, but even if they get past the likes of San Francisco in a wild card game, they would likely be making road trips to Seattle and New Orleans.  Not good.

And don't compare it to 2010 because that was obviously a good team that recovered from injuries just in time to make a run.  There aren't many injuries on the defensive side of the ball right now...or at least serious ones.  The reason they won that game yesterday is because the Cowboys only ran Murray 7 times in the second half.  (Unbelievable.)

The only hope I have for the defense is that before Rodgers went down they were playing pretty well especially against the run. There was a lot of talk at that time (including McGinn of the Journal/sentinel) that the Packers defense had turned the corner and have become more physical making them a legitimate contender. Remember they were 5-2 against the most difficult part of their schedule and riding high, probably on track for home field advantage.  So they are capable of playing better.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: December 16, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »
Interesting stat. After the pick-six (mid-way thru Q2), Cutler went 14-19 for 161 yards, 3 TD and 0 INT. The Bears' offense scored 28 points, had a FG nullified by penalty, which led to 1 of just 2 punts from that point on. Cutler's day may not have started off very well (which many will focus on), but he certainly got it together and finished the last 2.5 quarters about as well as a QB could.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: December 16, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »
The good news in all of this is that Packer and Bear fans still have football to care about going into week 16. Neither will be a threat in the playoffs, but a couple of weeks ago it looked like we'd all be 100% focused on MU BBall by now. I'll take as many Sundays as I can get.

+1

Even then, we made a concession last night.  The kids are home and we paused the game during the 3rd quarter to eat dinner.  Normally we'd wait until the end.  Just glad jsglow jr. and I are more qualified owners than Jerry.

Sure hope that Matt Flynn understands that Green Bay is his home.  Tuesday tryouts had to be pretty awful.  Take your $1.2MM per year and end up with a sound mind and body after your playing days.