collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443877 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1125 on: November 12, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »
To be honest, that is why I asked. 

As a Bears fan, I would hate it, but the football fan in me would love that move. At least at CB, if he was on the Pack, for the next 2 years, putting him out there opposite Megatron and Marshall would be a brilliant move.

It really depends on where he is at physically. He's been hurt all season, and now on IR. I just don't think he wants to play safety. He knows at this point he's best skill set is as a cover corner, and I think he'll want that assurance from some team.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
Depends how brave Emery is. GB had no plans to take a QB in the 1st round until Aaron became available.

One of hardest parts of job is assessing current vs. future needs.

He'd have to be brave but, more importantly, he'd have to think VERY highly of the QB available. When your team has holes, you can't afford to draft Brady Quinn in the 1st Round when you already have a potential long-term QB on the roster.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: November 12, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »
He'd have to be brave but, more importantly, he'd have to think VERY highly of the QB available. When your team has holes, you can't afford to draft Brady Quinn in the 1st Round when you already have a potential long-term QB on the roster.

He's going to have to trade down, just to get picks he can control. It's a numbers game at this point. Anyone clamoring for a top 15 pick, better realize Emery will probably try to trade out and back. Good news is the draft has some talent, and any draft with QB's getting first round grades leads to more deals.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1128 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »
Wanna complicate it even further...lets say they do pay and stick with Cutler for the immediate-term, and a guy like Manziel, or Hundly from UCLA is on the board when the Bears pick comes up, or Bridgewater falls A la Aaron Rodgers. Now what do you do?

Hundley has a way to go.  I watch \ go to all of their games.  Love the kid, but it would be a big mistake for him to come out this year.  He's a year away still.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: November 13, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
If you love the strategy of football as much as I do, watch this piece. It sounds video gameish, but fascinated me. I've thought about the no punt strategy before, but the fact that this guy onside kicks every time, and the theory behind it, makes total sense to me. I love stuff like this.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9970245/grantland-channel-coach-never-punts

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1130 on: November 13, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
If you love the strategy of football as much as I do, watch this piece. It sounds video gameish, but fascinated me. I've thought about the no punt strategy before, but the fact that this guy onside kicks every time, and the theory behind it, makes total sense to me. I love stuff like this.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9970245/grantland-channel-coach-never-punts

Get the book, Scorecasting.  Wonderful book, gets into every sport and they have a bunch of stuff on the whole punt or not punt stuff, always going for 2 points, etc.  Some great basketball and baseball stuff in there as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidden-Influences-Behind-Sports/dp/0307591808

brandx

« Reply #1131 on: November 15, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
I see where Favre is now having memory issues. Also says he wouldn't want his son (if he had one) playing football.

I think this is just another story in the drip, drip, drip that we will hear over the coming years and that will do damage to the game on a long-term basis.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: November 15, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
I see where Favre is now having memory issues. Also says he wouldn't want his son (if he had one) playing football.

I think this is just another story in the drip, drip, drip that we will hear over the coming years and that will do damage to the game on a long-term basis.

Like these?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9975540/researchers-inundated-requests-former-college-pro-football-players-tested-cte

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9966789/charles-youvella-arizona-high-school-football-player-dies-brain-injury-suffered-game

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1133 on: November 16, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »

I see where 85% would let their kids play football, but you guys want to focus on the 15%.

http://usafootball.com/news/players/poll-85-percent-parents-would-let-children-play-football

Bob Costas, however, wouldn't let his son play football which is perhaps the most SHOCKING thing I have ever read in my life.   :o   Of course, Bob doesn't have a son so we all lose out on what could have been the next Heisman trophy winner.

Dr. Julian Bailes, Pittsburgh Steelers neurosurgeon, allows his 10 year old son to play. 

Different strokes for different folks.

Current Sports Nation Poll of 60K participants has 69% would let their kids play football, 31% would not.

brandx

« Reply #1134 on: November 16, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
I see where 85% would let their kids play football, but you guys want to focus on the 15%.

http://usafootball.com/news/players/poll-85-percent-parents-would-let-children-play-football 

Current Sports Nation Poll of 60K participants has 69% would let their kids play football, 31% would not.

These numbers don't sound so bad - except - I can only imagine how much different the numbers were 10 years ago. And which way it is trending.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: November 17, 2013, 12:18:53 AM »

Bob Costas, however, wouldn't let his son play football which is perhaps the most SHOCKING thing I have ever read in my life.   :o   Of course, Bob doesn't have a son so we all lose out on what could have been the next Heisman trophy winner.

Dr. Julian Bailes, Pittsburgh Steelers neurosurgeon, allows his 10 year old son to play. 

If football starts guaranteeing full contracts, that 15% might shrink to 5%.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: November 17, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
Going to be a wild day. Ton of precautions in place at Soldier. Guessing this game gets delayed multiple times. Really strong storm due to hit around 12:15. Evacuation plans in place.

Buffalo, Cincy, Pittsburgh all going to have nasty weather.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: November 17, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »
Soldier field evacuated.   How long can a game be suspended before it is restarted?   Also, after watching something similar yesterday.....  If a field goal/extra point crosses the plane of the crossbar but is then blown back into the endzone, is it counted as good or no good?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: November 17, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
This is exactly why I think it's far from a given that the Lions win the NFC North.  Jim Schwartz is a complete hot head who makes some awful decisions, and his team carries on his mentality.  Fake field goal up by 4 points in the 4th quarter?  Are you kidding me?!  Absolutely, completely insane.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: November 17, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
It will cost Detroit this game.   But hey, it is a new and creative way to lose.   And that is what keeps the Lion fan going.   What insane way will they find to lose?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brandx

« Reply #1140 on: November 17, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »
This is exactly why I think it's far from a given that the Lions win the NFC North.  Jim Schwartz is a complete hot head who makes some awful decisions, and his team carries on his mentality.  Fake field goal up by 4 points in the 4th quarter?  Are you kidding me?!  Absolutely, completely insane.

Exactly!! Pathetic call. If you are up by 3 then it's a decent decision to go for it. But by 4?  A classic Jim Schwartz call.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: November 17, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
Detroit adding to their league-leading number of drops sure didn't help.      Imagine Stafford's numbers if he had competent receivers other than Megatron. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: November 17, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
The Packers might not pick up a first down today.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: November 17, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
And then the Packers run a fake punt and fail.  Trying to gain 7 yards with your backup safety catching the ball 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and your special teams unit trying to block usually works out pretty well.

Game plan is awful for the Packers today.  You have Scott Tolzien under center and you're trying to run the ball against 8 in the box on 1st and 2nd down, bringing up 3rd and long.  Asking Tolzien to throw the ball 10+ yards over the middle is not going to lead to much success.  I can recall a total of 2 plays that we tried some sort of quick pass, and one was a run/pass option where they just throw it right out to Jordy behind the line and hope he makes his defender miss.

The lack of having the best player in the NFL allowing him to call whatever he wants whenever he wants is exposing Mike McCarthy for exactly what he is, a well below average NFL coach.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: November 17, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »
Pack is as inept today as the Warriors were yesterday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: November 17, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
NFL is a whole lotta bad this year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: November 17, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
Watchin' a Harbaugh goin' down is an exercise in sportsmanship, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: November 17, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
That was as ugly a day for the NFC North in a long time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: November 17, 2013, 08:32:59 PM »
And then the Packers run a fake punt and fail.  Trying to gain 7 yards with your backup safety catching the ball 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and your special teams unit trying to block usually works out pretty well.

Game plan is awful for the Packers today.  You have Scott Tolzien under center and you're trying to run the ball against 8 in the box on 1st and 2nd down, bringing up 3rd and long.  Asking Tolzien to throw the ball 10+ yards over the middle is not going to lead to much success.  I can recall a total of 2 plays that we tried some sort of quick pass, and one was a run/pass option where they just throw it right out to Jordy behind the line and hope he makes his defender miss.

The lack of having the best player in the NFL allowing him to call whatever he wants whenever he wants is exposing Mike McCarthy for exactly what he is, a well below average NFL coach.

Oh come on.  Take the star QB off of any team and see how well any coach does.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »

Oh come on.  Take the star QB off of any team and see how well any coach does.

Like the Bears? ha... but seriously, how about the patriots the year brady went down?

feedback