Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JFB on the Red Carpet...  (Read 29259 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: JFB on the Red Carpet...
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
I hope Fox isn't stupid enough to do something like that.

Depends on the temperature of the broads on the show.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 02:13:45 PM »
Hopefully FS1 has enough actual events to cover that they won't need to make one up and then make a big fuss about it across all of their programming.

In defense of ESPN, there were zero sporting events last night that interest Americans.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »
http://deadspin.com/the-espys-are-a-colossal-waste-of-money-814222548

But it gets crappy ratings.  I mean, ESPN could run a 30 for 30 replay and generate a larger profit...or any profit.

And I was watching the Tour de France replay.  (And yeah I know that doesn't interest many people.)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
I'm 25 and am willing to bet that every single one of my friends know who Jim Brown is, even the ones who don't follow sports that closely.

The safe bet would be to say that most people, of all ages, don't know he was one of the greatest lacrosse players ever while at Syracuse and they had to change the rules because of him. He use to trap his stick against his chest and bulldoze people over, kinda unfair when your built like a house.

Maybe....I'm often surprised at how quickly people don't know the greats.  You would have been amazed how many of that age group have no idea who Stan Musial was, Alex Karras, etc.  This was just watching some of younger folks around me when doing the In Memoriam segment and the "Who is that" responses.  I see it here with a lot of the young blood, especially the interns.  Is what it is, the same thing will happen 20 years from now when the new crews come in and are struggling to remember who Walter Payton, E. Smith, Lawrence Taylor, etc, etc.  Part of the deal I suppose.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
Maybe I'm from Seattle and my idea of well dressed is Arcteryx and Patagonia but what exactly is the point of "The Red Carpet?"

Picture taken, interviews, etc.  Oladipo was walking the carpet next to us and he got grabbed to do an interview. Lebron was doing one, etc, etc.  Everything from sports interviews, to fashion and entertainment interviews, political BS, to God knows what.  If you had an upcoming movie, you were in that line helping to promote it (i.e. Kevin Bacon).  Hell, Mini-Me was on his motorized scooter about 10 people in front of me...honestly didn't even know if he was still alive, but he was being interviewed.  All part of the dog and pony show....and for some, which floozy they are going to pick out of the crowd and hook up with in a few hours at the after parties.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »
Maybe....I'm often surprised at how quickly people don't know the greats.  You would have been amazed how many of that age group have no idea who Stan Musial was, Alex Karras, etc.  This was just watching some of younger folks around me when doing the In Memoriam segment and the "Who is that" responses.  I see it here with a lot of the young blood, especially the interns.  Is what it is, the same thing will happen 20 years from now when the new crews come in and are struggling to remember who Walter Payton, E. Smith, Lawrence Taylor, etc, etc.  Part of the deal I suppose.
The passage of time dims the stars and they fade to grey and then to obscurity.  Fame is about what you've done lately and does not pass on to the generations.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
http://deadspin.com/the-espys-are-a-colossal-waste-of-money-814222548

But it gets crappy ratings.  I mean, ESPN could run a 30 for 30 replay and generate a larger profit...or any profit.

And I was watching the Tour de France replay.  (And yeah I know that doesn't interest many people.)

Yes, this is true.  On the other hand, the ESPYs are traditionally after the All Star game when nothing else in sports is going on.  Without the ESPYs, would we ever have a Jim Valvano speech moment like we did?  Not sure we would because what event would allow for that type of speech with that kind of audience? 

It's your typical over the top awards show just like 99% of them, but I do find some of the unique moments to be a decent platform where once in awhile they capture something that is special.  Thought the Robin Roberts presentation was heartfelt last night, as was the Hoyts honored for the Boston Marathon and the young brain cancer patient for the university of Nebraska scrimmage.  That was good stuff. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
I hope Fox isn't stupid enough to do something like that.

Fox has done a lot of this kind of stuff with other events.  FOX owns the Teen Choice Awards, for example.  There are others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
Yes, this is true.  On the other hand, the ESPYs are traditionally after the All Star game when nothing else in sports is going on.  Without the ESPYs, would we ever have a Jim Valvano speech moment like we did?  Not sure we would because what event would allow for that type of speech with that kind of audience?

The Valvano speech was nearly two decades ago.  Just because it resulted in something back then doesn't mean it's a good idea.

But really, it really is no consequence for me.  I haven't watched it pretty much ever, and it's not as though it is pre-emting something I care about.  If ESPN wants to flush money down the toilet while fellating sports figures and celebrities in the process, I really don't care.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
Hey Chicos, were you at the ESPYs last night? I haven't been able to figure it out based on you mentioning it in every single post on this thread  ::)

leever

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
Hey Chicos, were you at the ESPYs last night? I haven't been able to figure it out based on you mentioning it in every single post on this thread  ::)

In the photos, he's the tall(er) guy next to mini-me.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »
Chicos what were you wearing?  Armani? Gucci? Brooks Bros?  Jimmy Au's?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »
Chicos what were you wearing?  Armani? Gucci? Brooks Bros?  Jimmy Au's?

IU sweatshirt....candy striped pants.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »
The passage of time dims the stars and they fade to grey and then to obscurity.  Fame is about what you've done lately and does not pass on to the generations.

Interesting observation and perhaps telling of the social media generation. I have read Undaunted Courage and last night viewed a Nova episode on Lewis & Clark. We honor them still for their audacity, fortitude, and goodness of heart in interactions with native peoples. To this day the Nez Perce respect their memory. True fame will never reside in a sound bite or be captured in a Red Carpet photo op.  

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »

So very true

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
Chico Stan Musial is in no way on Jim Brown's level.  As a player (in a sport 10x as popular) or a cultural icon.  Every single person i've ever talked to has Brown as a top 3 rb despite retiring at the start of his prime.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
So very true

In a few years, kids will think Michael Jordan is just a lousy executive in the Charlotte front office.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
In a few years, kids will think Michael Jordan is just a lousy executive in the Charlotte front office.

My kid knew who Michael Jordan was.  Well, sort of.  When he was about three, we were in a park in the NW suburbs where some guys were playing pickup basketball.  He pointed to the one African American player (who also happened to have a shaved head) and shouted, "Look!  It's Michael Jordan!".

From the guy's reaction, it wasn't the first time some stupid little white kid had done that.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »
Can someone explain the pointing of the finger?  I see this a lot now.

Illuminati? Jay-Z style.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »

The Valvano speech was nearly two decades ago.  Just because it resulted in something back then doesn't mean it's a good idea.

But really, it really is no consequence for me.  I haven't watched it pretty much ever, and it's not as though it is pre-emting something I care about.  If ESPN wants to flush money down the toilet while fellating sports figures and celebrities in the process, I really don't care.

Understood, but doesn't take away from the fact it happened in that platform.  To me all awards shows are like this, you either like them or you don't.  We fellate MU players here, ESPN is doing it on a more national platform.  People can choose to watch or choose not to.  On occasion, you do get some nuggets that survive even 20 years later, like the Jimmy V speech.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »
In the photos, he's the tall(er) guy next to mini-me.

Damn, I have MM on ignore....glad I do. 

It was fun to say hello to a few MU guys and pass on the MU love there.  Thought DWade's speech last night was well done.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
Chico Stan Musial is in no way on Jim Brown's level.  As a player (in a sport 10x as popular) or a cultural icon.  Every single person i've ever talked to has Brown as a top 3 rb despite retiring at the start of his prime.

Good Lord but that is outrageous. Stan Musial was one of the greatest hitters and named to the All Century Team. Bill James rated him among the 10 Best Players of All Time and the second greatest Left Fielder in Baseball History while Baseball Reference's Black Ink Test rates him as the 3rd greatest hitter ever. He was also a perfect gentleman who comported himself with class and dignity at all times. He was married to the same woman for 72 years, named the President's Physical Fitness Advisor, and awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest award for civilians. The son of a Polish immigrant, Musial's real first name was Stanislaw, he had nothing given to him growing up in Pennsylvania.

Jim Brown was an incredible athlete but his off the field behavior is despicable. Brown beat numerous women. He threw one wife off a balcony, was accused of raping an 18 year old after pouring whiskey down her throat, savagely beat a fiancé whom he accused of flirting with other men, and beat his 25 year old wife in 1999 for trying to leave him. Brown spent 6 months in prison for Domestic Violence after refusing a judge's order to go through Anger Management Therapy. Brown also beat a man after a traffic accident and beat a golf partner who suggested he had cheated on the links. Brown is an intolerant bigot who sees racism in every white person he has had any dealings with. He is also a virulent anti-Semite who seethes hatred for Jews.

If you really believe Jim Brown to be both the better athlete and the better man/cultural icon then I submit your values are genuinely in need of evaluation.  

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
Good Lord but that is outrageous. Stan Musial was one of the greatest hitters and named to the All Century Team. Bill James rated him among the 10 Best Players of All Time and the second greatest Left Fielder in Baseball History while Baseball Reference's Black Ink Test rates him as the 3rd greatest hitter ever. He was also a perfect gentleman who comported himself with class and dignity at all times. He was married to the same woman for 72 years, named the President's Physical Fitness Advisor, and awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest award for civilians. The son of a Polish immigrant, Musial's real first name was Stanislaw, he had nothing given to him growing up in Pennsylvania.

Jim Brown was an incredible athlete but his off the field behavior is despicable. Brown beat numerous women. He threw one wife off a balcony, was accused of raping an 18 year old after pouring whiskey down her throat, savagely beat a fiancé whom he accused of flirting with other men, and beat his 25 year old wife in 1999 for trying to leave him. Brown spent 6 months in prison for Domestic Violence after refusing a judge's order to go through Anger Management Therapy. Brown also beat a man after a traffic accident and beat a golf partner who suggested he had cheated on the links. Brown is an intolerant bigot who sees racism in every white person he has had any dealings with. He is also a virulent anti-Semite who seethes hatred for Jews.

If you really believe Jim Brown to be both the better athlete and the better man/cultural icon then I submit your values are genuinely in need of evaluation.  

Brown was one of the best lacrosse players of all time...great great athlete.  I agree with you on the other stuff, but because he also helped out a certain community he gets a pass.  Don't you know how all this works...you've been around awhile.  Some people get 2, 3, 10 chances.  Some get zero.  It's the game that is played in this country and who decides who gets multiple trips to the forgiving line and who gets put out to pasture immediately.  Always entertaining to watch that game be played.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »

Both of my parents are from Cleveland and my dad used to talk about Brown a bunch, said he was the greatest athlete he ever saw.  No denying his on the field greatness and how great he could have been in the record books. Cultural icon is also very strong because he went into the movie business, his work with minorities, etc...he went after the limelight and Musial definitely didn't.  Brown also has some incredible baggage that Musial didn't have.  I was still surprised that so many "sports fans" that are young don't know who Musial is.  I guess he didn't keep up his brand as they say today.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Brown was one of the best lacrosse players of all time...great great athlete.  I agree with you on the other stuff, but because he also helped out a certain community he gets a pass.  Don't you know how all this works...you've been around awhile.  Some people get 2, 3, 10 chances.  Some get zero.  It's the game that is played in this country and who decides who gets multiple trips to the forgiving line and who gets put out to pasture immediately.  Always entertaining to watch that game be played.

Jim Brown is a bigoted animal unworthy of respect. His savagery crosses 5 decades. I am not sure what he has done for the black community other than beat senseless numerous black women. Musial, on the other hand, was the consummate gentleman. While both are at the pinnacle of accomplishment in their respective sports the character factor eliminates Brown from any "Greatest Ever" conversation.

I would write more but I need to get my hoodie out of the dryer and head down to the Outrage March taking place in downtown Seattle. Evidently our judicial system does not measure up in the eyes of some.

Death on call