Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scott Monarch joins Tony Benford at UNT  (Read 17114 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Scott Monarch joins Tony Benford at UNT
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »
He was just hired last month to be the men's coach at a DII school in South Carolina called Claflin University.  That didn't take long. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »
He was just hired last month to be the men's coach at a DII school in South Carolina called Claflin University.  That didn't take long. 

Pretty sh1tty switch on Monarch's part. He is already off the web roster but still listed on the landing page.

Death on call

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
Pretty sh1tty switch on Monarch's part. He is already off the web roster but still listed on the landing page.

Yep. Coaches can bolt at will and the players have to sit a year.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
$$$$$$ and Monarch is better off in TX and Div I.  Not so great for Claflin.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
Yep. Coaches can bolt at will and the players have to sit a year.

Players can leave as well.  NAIA no sitting.  Or go to DIII, no sitting.  Here's the other difference, a player can transfer to many places because there are many openings.  A coach has very few places to move to.  If a player isn't doing that well, someone will take him on another program.  If a coach isn't doing well...he gets fired.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »
Players can leave as well.  NAIA no sitting.  Or go to DIII, no sitting.  Here's the other difference, a player can transfer to many places because there are many openings.  A coach has very few places to move to.  If a player isn't doing that well, someone will take him on another program.  If a coach isn't doing well...he gets fired.

Clafin is Division 2...and there are circumstances where a D2 player can transfer without sitting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
$$$$$$ and Monarch is better off in TX and Div I.  Not so great for Claflin.

I've been going back and forth in my head on this.  On the one hand, leaving for another job less than two months after you took it, is really a poor thing to do.  OTOH, if I were Clafin I would rather have Monarch leave now than in a year.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 07:38:40 PM »
I've been going back and forth in my head on this.  On the one hand, leaving for another job less than two months after you took it, is really a poor thing to do.  OTOH, if I were Clafin I would rather have Monarch leave now than in a year.

Piss poor character on Monarch's part.

Death on call

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
I've got no problem with this. At the end of the day you need to look out for yourself and your family and make the decision that you think best benefits you/them. Very similar to what Chew did leaving Illinois for MU after only a couple months.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
I've got no problem with this. At the end of the day you need to look out for yourself and your family and make the decision that you think best benefits you/them. Very similar to what Chew did leaving Illinois for MU after only a couple months.
at the end of the day, you're only as good as your word, and i'm always interested as to how many coaches lie to kids and justify it through words like "i have to do what's best for my family."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »
Players can leave as well.  NAIA no sitting.  Or go to DIII, no sitting.  Here's the other difference, a player can transfer to many places because there are many openings.  A coach has very few places to move to.  If a player isn't doing that well, someone will take him on another program.  If a coach isn't doing well...he gets fired.
you'll argue anything. you think a D1 coach that gets fired would be able to pick up a job at a D3 school?  you think D1 players that get cut can afford to pay tuition at a D3 school?  as far as the "number of openings"...that's supply and demand...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:02:49 PM by avid1010 »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Anyone know why Benford didn't hire him two months ago before he accepted at Clafin or whatever?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
Anyone know why Benford didn't hire him two months ago before he accepted at Clafin or whatever?

Monarch was waiting for North Texas to print up some awesome new t-shirts before joining.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »

Agreed. Now he jumps somewhere else where I'm sure one of his spiels to the players will be about loyalty ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »

His assistant, and former MU assistant, Bart Lundy took the head coaching gig at Queens University a couple weeks ago.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
I think its a much Bigger deal for a head coach to leave after being Hired for 2 months then an asst.  Easy to find a adequate asst in July, Much harder to spend the time to hire a good fit as HC on July 15th. 

That being said this was Monarchs only chance to get back into D-1, most schools would not touch him after the violation and conduct.  So in that regard I understand why.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
I think its a much Bigger deal for a head coach to leave after being Hired for 2 months then an asst.  Easy to find a adequate asst in July, Much harder to spend the time to hire a good fit as HC on July 15th. 

That being said this was Monarchs only chance to get back into D-1, most schools would not touch him after the violation and conduct.  So in that regard I understand why.

I think that a lot of schools will look at this move as confirmation Scott Monarch is not a desirable candidate for any vacancy. If I see a 2 month tenure on a resume I will have questions before the person ever gets in the door for an interview.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »
you'll argue anything. you think a D1 coach that gets fired would be able to pick up a job at a D3 school?  you think D1 players that get cut can afford to pay tuition at a D3 school?  as far as the "number of openings"...that's supply and demand...

I think you missed a key part of what I said.  There are many openings for players to transfer, very few for coaches.  There are 13 spots per team for players with typically 3 to 4 new ones rotating every year, there is one head coaching position per team.  There is tons of movement for players due to the number of transfers, there aren't nearly the openings for coaches.

Why do you automatically assume a D1 player is poor and can't afford a D3 school?  Why do you assume a D3 school isn't affordable?  

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »
I think you missed a key part of what I said.  There are many openings for players to transfer, very few for coaches.  There are 13 spots per team for players with typically 3 to 4 new ones rotating every year, there is one head coaching position per team.  There is tons of movement for players due to the number of transfers, there aren't nearly the openings for coaches.

Why do you automatically assume a D1 player is poor and can't afford a D3 school?  Why do you assume a D3 school isn't affordable?  

So somehow because there are 13 player spots on a team and only 4-5 coaching spots on a team, that somehow justifies imposing a penalty on the players who choose to move but not the coaches? Explain that again?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »

His assistant, and former MU assistant, Bart Lundy took the head coaching gig at Queens University a couple weeks ago.

Is that Queens College/CUNY?

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »

Never liked Monarch. Thought Buzz was blinded by loyalty when he brought him on. Was happy when he crap his pants and was ousted.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 09:41:35 AM »
Never liked Monarch. Thought Buzz was blinded by loyalty when he brought him on. Was happy when he crap his pants and was ousted.

I don't know about happy but I believe Marquette is a better place without Mr. Monarch.

"I have dined with kings, I've been offered wings. And I've never been too impressed." -- Bob Dylan

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
Most of us know people who have taken jobs and left shortly thereafter for many different reasons.  This really is no different?  On top of that, its his opportunity to get back into Div I, be closer to home and provide better for his family.  Poor character...I don't think so.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »
Most of us know people who have taken jobs and left shortly thereafter for many different reasons.  This really is no different?  On top of that, its his opportunity to get back into Div I, be closer to home and provide better for his family.  Poor character...I don't think so.

Not sure what could have changed materially within 8 weeks other than he got a better prom date. He gave his word and made a commitment to a number of people. I have always heard of the 1 year minimum after accepting a position.

I have made career changes but never after such a short tenure. And whenever I did make a change I made damn sure my exit was executed cleanly and properly. When I decided to leave GE Capital to return to the USAF after 9/11 I needed the better part of a year to transition effectively. I communicated my intentions immediately to my bosses back in CT, we put together a turn over plan, and they involved me in the search for my replacement. There were greater logistics because it was an expat assignment in Singapore with the added complication that it was a JV involving Sun Microsystems, Quintiles, Harvard, and Temasek Holdings. Both GE and the USAF appreciated my need to wrap things up thoroughly and efficiently.

I suppose many of us know people who have left jobs after a short tenure but Monarch accepted an executive position. He made a commitment which he conveniently shrugged off. Poor character? Absolutely.

I have to wonder when did a man's word become so meaningless? I come from a world where men entrust their very mortal existence on the integrity of a man's word. Monarch should be ashamed but I doubt he has any problems when he shaves in the morning.

Death on call

feedback