[June 10, 2024, 07:34:38 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scott Monarch joins Tony Benford at UNT  (Read 17117 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Scott Monarch joins Tony Benford at UNT
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
Never liked Monarch. Thought Buzz was blinded by loyalty when he brought him on. Was happy when he crap his pants and was ousted.

Curious why you say that?  Is there something specific in his background before he came to MU?  

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »
I think that a lot of schools will look at this move as confirmation Scott Monarch is not a desirable candidate for any vacancy. If I see a 2 month tenure on a resume I will have questions before the person ever gets in the door for an interview.

I hear ya on this.  I apply the same principles/values in my business too.

I suspect that sports and college athletics play by different rules.  Look at Chew for an example.  For that matter, look at the time of year Majerus chose to leave MU. 

I also suspect that regardless of Monarch's history, if he starts bringing in high caliber recruits, and helps coach UNT to a new level (conf championships, consistent trips to the dance), higher level D1 programs will fight for his services.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
Not sure what could have changed materially within 8 weeks other than he got a better prom date. He gave his word and made a commitment to a number of people. I have always heard of the 1 year minimum after accepting a position.

I have made career changes but never after such a short tenure. And whenever I did make a change I made damn sure my exit was executed cleanly and properly. When I decided to leave GE Capital to return to the USAF after 9/11 I needed the better part of a year to transition effectively. I communicated my intentions immediately to my bosses back in CT, we put together a turn over plan, and they involved me in the search for my replacement. There were greater logistics because it was an expat assignment in Singapore with the added complication that it was a JV involving Sun Microsystems, Quintiles, Harvard, and Temasek Holdings. Both GE and the USAF appreciated my need to wrap things up thoroughly and efficiently.

I suppose many of us know people who have left jobs after a short tenure but Monarch accepted an executive position. He made a commitment which he conveniently shrugged off. Poor character? Absolutely.

I have to wonder when did a man's word become so meaningless? I come from a world where men entrust their very mortal existence on the integrity of a man's word. Monarch should be ashamed but I doubt he has any problems when he shaves in the morning.

Sometimes I wonder if you respond to posts just so that you can tell more of your life story.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if you respond to posts just so that you can tell more of your life story.

Perhaps the story has relevance.

Death on call

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Most of us know people who have taken jobs and left shortly thereafter for many different reasons.  This really is no different?  On top of that, its his opportunity to get back into Div I, be closer to home and provide better for his family.  Poor character...I don't think so.

I think there is a difference between a head coach and an assistant job.  Yes, a lot of kids go to certain schools because of their relationships with the assistants, but the head coach is supposed to be the face of a program

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
I suppose many of us know people who have left jobs after a short tenure but Monarch accepted an executive position. He made a commitment which he conveniently shrugged off. Poor character? Absolutely.

Can we get your opinion on Buzz leaving UNO?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »

Significant dissimilarities between the two situations.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »
So somehow because there are 13 player spots on a team and only 4-5 coaching spots on a team, that somehow justifies imposing a penalty on the players who choose to move but not the coaches? Explain that again?

What penalty is imposed...that God forbid they have to sit out again?  Sorry, that's not much a penalty in my book.

The argument was that these poor players can't just get up and leave which isn't true.  They can.  Furthermore, if a coach gets up and leaves, he has to pay a buyout (usually) or deal with other contractual issues.  Does the coach have advantages of movement...sure does.  Is the player solely without choices to move?  Nope.  If the players don't like it, then don't play NCAA basketball, go to the D League, go to Europe, play intramurals, play NAIA, play DIII.  Lots of options out there.  If that doesn't suit their needs, then yes, they can play DI have their education, room and board, training, coaching, etc all paid for AND IF they want to leave, they have to sit out for one year.  Boo hoo.

Lastly, I said moving to a HEAD coaching position, not to any coaching position, like the 4 to 5 per team you reference.  Big difference, IMO.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:09:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
Is that Queens College/CUNY?

Queens University in Charlotte.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
Queens University in Charlotte.

Got it. Not familiar with this school.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »

Apples and Oranges. Buzz signed a 4 year contract but realized almost immediately that there were more issues than he realized. But the degree of difficulty at UNO was not the problem. The school consistently failed to honor the terms of its agreement with Williams. Meal money was not paid to players. Transport for road games didn't happen. Facilities were sub-standard and the promised opening of a home court, a key condition of William's accepting the job, was not met.  After a year he sat down with the AD to attempt to resolve UNO's failure to honor his contract. A month later, when Marquette called, he requested and was granted permission by his AD to speak about that opening. Everything was above board. The ensuing legal battle was over the buy out which William's argued was voided by UNO's failure to meet its obligations. There is no similarity between Williams leaving UNO after a year and Monarch ditching Claflin less than two months after joining. And I'm not going to air it here but there is more to the Monarch story at Marquette.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
I hear ya on this.  I apply the same principles/values in my business too.

I suspect that sports and college athletics play by different rules.  Look at Chew for an example.  For that matter, look at the time of year Majerus chose to leave MU. 

I also suspect that regardless of Monarch's history, if he starts bringing in high caliber recruits, and helps coach UNT to a new level (conf championships, consistent trips to the dance), higher level D1 programs will fight for his services.

I'm not sure sports is different other than key personnel decisions receive far greater play than happens in business. But unfortunately you are correct that nothing breeds forgiveness faster than winning. Calipari is walking proof of that. 

Death on call

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
Do you think your experience at GE is exactly analogous to Monarch's situation?  Or might that be apples and oranges too?

You elluded to some details that I may not know, so perhaps you have a more informed opinion on Monarch's character than I do.  In the absence of such insights, I'm more inclined to withold judgment. 

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »
What penalty is imposed...that God forbid they have to sit out again?  Sorry, that's not much a penalty in my book.

The argument was that these poor players can't just get up and leave which isn't true.  They can.  Furthermore, if a coach gets up and leaves, he has to pay a buyout (usually) or deal with other contractual issues.  Does the coach have advantages of movement...sure does.  Is the player solely without choices to move?  Nope.  If the players don't like it, then don't play NCAA basketball, go to the D League, go to Europe, play intramurals, play NAIA, play DIII.  Lots of options out there.  If that doesn't suit their needs, then yes, they can play DI have their education, room and board, training, coaching, etc all paid for AND IF they want to leave, they have to sit out for one year.  Boo hoo.

Lastly, I said moving to a HEAD coaching position, not to any coaching position, like the 4 to 5 per team you reference.  Big difference, IMO.   ;D

Okay, so you still haven't explained why players have NCAA rules built to limit their movement from program to program but coaches do not. You openly admit that coaches have advantages in moving... why is that okay?

You may not think it is much of a penalty, but then why not have the same rule for coaches? Coaches certainly have the same "abundance" of suitable options available to them. They could be coaches in the D-League, Uruguay, or at NAIA. Coaches buyouts are paid by their new employer and they aren't imposed by the NCAA, so they are quite different. 

I'm not saying the players have it so horrible rough, just that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »
I'm not saying the players have it so horrible rough, just that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I am all for increased flexibility in allowing player movement, but I you are making a false equivalency.  Coaches are coaches.  They are employees.  There is only one of them on a team, etc. etc.  Players are players.  They aren't employees. 

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »

I am all for increased flexibility in allowing player movement, but I you are making a false equivalency.  Coaches are coaches.  They are employees.  There is only one of them on a team, etc. etc.  Players are players.  They aren't employees. 

Fair distinction to point out, but I think that only further emphasizes that players should be on at least equal footing with coaches. Why does a student have greater restrictions on moving than a university employee?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
Not sure what could have changed materially within 8 weeks other than he got a better prom date. He gave his word and made a commitment to a number of people. I have always heard of the 1 year minimum after accepting a position.

What are your thoughts on Chew leaving Illinois for MU?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »
Okay, so you still haven't explained why players have NCAA rules built to limit their movement from program to program but coaches do not. You openly admit that coaches have advantages in moving... why is that okay?

You may not think it is much of a penalty, but then why not have the same rule for coaches? Coaches certainly have the same "abundance" of suitable options available to them. They could be coaches in the D-League, Uruguay, or at NAIA. Coaches buyouts are paid by their new employer and they aren't imposed by the NCAA, so they are quite different. 

Big distinction is that the coaches are making a living and pursuing their careers while the players are (hopefully) getting an education both off and on the court as they lay a foundation for their future off or on the court careers and ability to make a living.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 03:21:34 PM »
I left my last job after 1.5 days - I never would have even started but due to circumstances out of my control I had to start it until I found out if my still current job 25 years later was a done deal. After a phonecall at lunch on day 2 I quit upon returning from lunch. It was their choice that I not even give 2 weeks before leaving, don't know why that was;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »
Do you think your experience at GE is exactly analogous to Monarch's situation?  Or might that be apples and oranges too?

You elluded to some details that I may not know, so perhaps you have a more informed opinion on Monarch's character than I do.  In the absence of such insights, I'm more inclined to withold judgment. 

My point is that when I made the decision to return to the military I could not wait to get back into the cockpit and begin schwacking rat bastard tangos. But I had to temper that enthusiasm with the understanding that I had to transition out properly out of respect to an outstanding employer who had been very good to me and afforded me many opportunities. More importantly, I felt a very strong obligation to the exceptional group of professionals who had assembled to bring world class drug discovery and development to Asia.

There was no way in hell I would have simply left, even though under American employment law I could leave immediately since it was for military service under exigent circumstances. I had to be comfortable with the manner in which I treated colleagues at all times, including when I left the enterprise. I am comfortable with how I managed my departure and I know that if I met any of those people today they would welcome me warmly. Do you think Scott Monarch has similar relationships with his former employers?

At the end of the day, this is all about how we treat one another. Monarch made a choice and took care of himself.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »
I left my last job after 1.5 days - I never would have even started but due to circumstances out of my control I had to start it until I found out if my still current job 25 years later was a done deal. After a phonecall at lunch on day 2 I quit upon returning from lunch. It was their choice that I not even give 2 weeks before leaving, don't know why that was;D

Since this was likely at the beginning of your career it was probably not a senior executive position. Monarch was the CEO of an enterprise. He owed a lot more.

Death on call

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
Big distinction is that the coaches are making a living and pursuing their careers while the players are (hopefully) getting an education both off and on the court as they lay a foundation for their future off or on the court careers and ability to make a living.

Man that is paternalistic... and would be completely bad faith argument if made by the NCAA.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
I think you missed a key part of what I said.  There are many openings for players to transfer, very few for coaches.  There are 13 spots per team for players with typically 3 to 4 new ones rotating every year, there is one head coaching position per team.  There is tons of movement for players due to the number of transfers, there aren't nearly the openings for coaches.

Why do you automatically assume a D1 player is poor and can't afford a D3 school?  Why do you assume a D3 school isn't affordable?  
well as far as my "assumption" related to D1 players income...it's not an assumption...i remember reading an article a few years back related to paying players, and a large % of players came from poverty...let alone having $$$ to pay for a D3 education.  outside of basketball and football, it gets even worse, as numerous reports will outline how much those students often have to pay in expenses beyond what the scholarship money covers.

as far as me missing your part about many openings, i don't think so.  first, i'm not sure what the supply and demand would look like.  i do know there are more openings for police officers than engineers, but it's easier to move as an engineer.  simply stating that there's a lot of movement in college basketball does nothing to create demand...it's just players moving from one school to another.  in general...one could probably argue it's easier to become a college coach than a college player. 

that said, there's a big difference between adults and college KIDS, and if we aren't treating our kids better than our adults something is wrong.  amazing how you can essentially say all coaches are pretty squirmy (in defense of crean), then turn around advocate for their rights.  i'm not worried about the coaches, just the kids...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
well as far as my "assumption" related to D1 players income...it's not an assumption...i remember reading an article a few years back related to paying players, and a large % of players came from poverty...let alone having $$$ to pay for a D3 education.  outside of basketball and football, it gets even worse, as numerous reports will outline how much those students often have to pay in expenses beyond what the scholarship money covers.

One of the guys from Marquette's golf team lived on my floor at McCormick. He was on scholars but I suspect his upper middle class folks in Thiensville could have easily footed the tuition bill.  His golf kit likely cost more than what his tuition bill would have been.

Death on call

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
I have made career changes but never after such a short tenure. And whenever I did make a change I made damn sure my exit was executed cleanly and properly. When I decided to leave GE Capital to return to the USAF after 9/11 I needed the better part of a year to transition effectively. I communicated my intentions immediately to my bosses back in CT, we put together a turn over plan, and they involved me in the search for my replacement. There were greater logistics because it was an expat assignment in Singapore with the added complication that it was a JV involving Sun Microsystems, Quintiles, Harvard, and Temasek Holdings. Both GE and the USAF appreciated my need to wrap things up thoroughly and efficiently.

I have to wonder when did a man's word become so meaningless? I come from a world where men entrust their very mortal existence on the integrity of a man's word. Monarch should be ashamed but I doubt he has any problems when he shaves in the morning.

You're a patriot and an executive!  Please tell us more about your ability to execute transferring positions cleanly and effectively and be sure to include as many possible impressive sounding other companies as possible.

feedback