Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwight Buycks to the Raptors  (Read 24459 times)

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
Dwight Buycks to the Raptors
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Dwight Buycks to the Raptors
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »
Add  him to the list of MU alums that have had NBA contracts (technically NBA players!)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Truly happy for him, just wish he would've shown all this sudden talent when he was here.  Not saying we would've beaten UNC but maybe could've not been embarrassed or better yet maybe would've beaten Washington his first year.  

Also with Novak and Buycks on the Raptos I can't believe I have to start cheering for them...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:55:40 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
Can you believe that 2011 team had 4 NBA players on it (potentially 5 with DJO or Vander)?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:51:42 AM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »
Truly happy for him, just wish he would've shown all this sudden talent when he was here.  

It wasn't "sudden talent."  It was hard work...and maybe a little maturity.  

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »

It wasn't "sudden talent."  It was hard work...and maybe a little maturity.  

Call it what you want I just wish he would've had it when he was here. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:48:35 AM »
Truly happy for him, just wish he would've shown all this sudden talent when he was here.  Not saying we would've beaten UNC but maybe could've not been embarrassed or better yet maybe would've beaten Washington his first year.  

Buycks showed talent at MU - and was very highly regarded at coming in.  Think he was hurt a little by playing the 1 as a senior.  Showed a lot of flashes but never great consistency.  You could see though, that he had a great rhythm about his game - played with good tempo - much more under control than DJO...better body lean, better shake and bake, better ability to create seperation/space for pull up midrange jumpers.  Lots of tools there for Dwight.

Very happy for him!  Great persistence and hard work paid off.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
Can you believe that 2011 team had 3 NBA players on it (potentially 4 with DJO or Vander)?

DJO was already an NBA player.  Moreso than Mcneal or Buycks are so far http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6596/darius-johnson-odom
Maigh Eo for Sam

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
Take that Bucky
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »
more amazingly; add him to the JUCO to NBA Buzz Williams list.  Unbelievable!!! 

Great work Dwight.  What amazed me most about him is that he always made the most difficult shots look the easiest!  I remember 5 or more shots he hit with Marquette, usually at  the end of the clock, that were straight insanity.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
DJO was already an NBA player.  Moreso than Mcneal or Buycks are so far http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6596/darius-johnson-odom

Fixed. had 4 at first then forgot how much DJO got playing time and didn't want to assume.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
nm

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Buycks showed talent at MU - and was very highly regarded at coming in.  Think he was hurt a little by playing the 1 as a senior.  Showed a lot of flashes but never great consistency.  You could see though, that he had a great rhythm about his game - played with good tempo - much more under control than DJO...better body lean, better shake and bake, better ability to create seperation/space for pull up midrange jumpers.  Lots of tools there for Dwight.

I know he was highly regarded, and once again consistency, maturity whatever you want to call it I wish it was there so there'd be more than the essentially 9pts, 3ast, 3reb a game than he gave us. (admittedly better stats than I remember from him)
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 10:53:19 AM »
Congrats to Buycks!   He was good at MU, but clearly has put in a ton of work since he left.   He gets my respect for all of the different positions he had to guard while part of one of the shortest NCAA tourney teams in modern times.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »

Other than the part where the Raptors are signing him to play point guard.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
I know he was highly regarded, and once again consistency, maturity whatever you want to call it I wish it was there so there'd be more than the essentially 9pts, 3ast, 3reb a game than he gave us. (admittedly better stats than I remember from him)

WTF?  Seriously Ners hit it on the head.  He wasn't a PG coming into MU, was forced to play it on a team that got to the S16, and once he graduated he worked at becoming better at the position.  It doesn't reflect poorly on what he was when he was here...you make it sound like he was loafing around and not working hard.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
Ujiri creating Marquette North (of the border) with the additions of Novak and Buycks this offseason. I assume he'll take Otule in the lottery next season!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »

nailed it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »

WTF?  Seriously Ners hit it on the head.  He wasn't a PG coming into MU, was forced to play it on a team that got to the S16, and once he graduated he worked at becoming better at the position.  It doesn't reflect poorly on what he was when he was here...you make it sound like he was loafing around and not working hard.

Wasn't Buycks headed to Iowa State out of HS but didn't qualify? He was very much on the high major radar. He just needed to grow up a little bit.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »

I'm sorry you're reading it like that and getting upset. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
Buzz doesn't need to go to the NBA, he's got a roster full of their players!
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
From the playgrounds of Milwaukee's north side, to JUCO in Iowa, to the best school in the Big East, and now to the Association....well done Mr. Buycks, well done.
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
Wasn't Buycks headed to Iowa State out of HS but didn't qualify? He was very much on the high major radar. He just needed to grow up a little bit.

He didn't qualify because of a f*ck up at his high school.  My recollection was that he was fully qualified with regards to ACT, but didn't take the correct number of core classes for NCAA eligibility because of poor counselling.  

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
Easy pick! He was ballin in summer league.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »
Buzz doesn't need to go to the NBA, he's got a roster full of their players!

It really is amazing. If Vander makes it (or Jamil, though he was sitting out technically) that team could've put together a starting five of all NBA players. Makes the Sweet 16 look even a tad disappointing.

G: Buycks
G: DJO or Vander
F: Butler
F: Crowder
F: Wilson

feedback