Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Strotman: Blue's own mistake lands him undrafted  (Read 9806 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Strotman: Blue's own mistake lands him undrafted
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:33:46 PM »
Vander was a victim of his own ego and from bad advice within his inner circle. Here's hoping he still gets what he wants out of life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »
Not drafted? Gee, what a shock.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »

To many here, it was a shock. More than a few thought he'd not only get drafted but would be a first-rounder. What they based that on is still a mystery to me, but whatever.

I hope this is a lesson to those who think Jamil Wilson is an NBA shoo-in. Or those who believe Davante Gardner is a strong possibility. Or, for cripe's sake, those who think Otule has a chance in hell of being an NBA player.

We love our guys, and that's cool. But sometimes we gotta take off those blue-and-gold glasses and look reality in the eye.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »
Vander was a victim of his own ego and from bad advice within his inner circle. Here's hoping he still gets what he wants out of life.

Not really sure he would've gained all that much coming back to MU. He would've had an awesome experience going deep into the tourney, but the guy has done that 3x already. He might've got a communications degrees. A year of free food, rent and travel. Instead, he will be getting paid to travel Europe and if he wants a degree, he could always go back with said salary.

I personally wouldn't have made his choice, but fans need to stop being selfish and see both sides before hating on a player. I think best case scenario is that he goes like Siva and gets picked late next year with a small chance of making the team if he came back.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »
Not really sure he would've gained all that much coming back to MU. He would've had an awesome experience going deep into the tourney, but the guy has done that 3x already. He might've got a communications degrees. A year of free food, rent and travel. Instead, he will be getting paid to travel Europe and if he wants a degree, he could always go back with said salary.

I personally wouldn't have made his choice, but fans need to stop being selfish and see both sides before hating on a player. I think best case scenario is that he goes like Siva and gets picked late next year with a small chance of making the team if he came back.

The way he developed this past year I'm not sure how you can say this.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »

Go back about 6 weeks ago, lots of folks here had him pegged 1st rounder.   ::)  I'll bet some are shocked.  Sigh.  Sad, hope it works out, but sad in many ways.  Sometimes people can't get out of their own way.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »
Forgot to mention... excellent read, Strotty.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:26:17 AM »
The way he developed this past year I'm not sure how you can say this.
Are you saying he would've been drafted next year or just that he would develop more as a player? I think he would've developed but he can develop anywhere, especially as a pro playing in the professional leagues in Europe.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46:28 AM »
Ah here it is.....I bet you couldn't wait to run in here and throw this thread together to rip Blue could you. Very spiteful. You don't have to jump on the kid....

An entire new thread does not have to be made for this. We know he was not drafted. So what. You were not either....He will be more then okay and has a bright future.

He has the ability to play professionally and will have to be humble and receptive enough to take some suggestions and advice FROM THE RIGHT PEOPLE...to perhaps reinvent his game of sorts to make himself signable.

And he will and he has. DWade and I am sure J.B and Jae and Wesley are their to reach out to him and Sanders on the Bucks. It will be interesting to see who gets a crack first Dwight Buycks, Korie Lucious, or Vander Blue...this summer?

I will be watching all three to see what goes down...I am proud and hopeful of them all as a fan and will always stay true to our local kids with hoops dreams from Wisconsin and Milwaukee especially. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:17 AM »
Are you saying he would've been drafted next year or just that he would develop more as a player? I think he would've developed but he can develop anywhere, especially as a pro playing in the professional leagues in Europe.
Yes if he had come back and had the year he had last year this year, he would have been drafted next year even if it was the second round. He left too early. But that was his decision and he has to live with it and I am sure has no regrets.

He was sick of the drama probably...and the expectations and pressure and perhaps some accountability and responsibility in leadership that only can be honed going through adversity. And I am certain that is what teams saw...

Listening to his interviews he gave no real reason why he came out except he felt that he was ready and did not specify how and in what way was he ready other then having a few good games and a few shots fall in the tourney?

There had to be a red flag that more then one team saw for him not to be drafted. It is pointless to really speculate now but he should stayed 4 years.

The only MU player who stay 3 was great enough to make the leap and is winning rings now and is a Hall of Fame Player. DWade is the exception to the rule.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 04:06:42 AM »
To many here, it was a shock. More than a few thought he'd not only get drafted but would be a first-rounder. What they based that on is still a mystery to me, but whatever.

I hope this is a lesson to those who think Jamil Wilson is an NBA shoo-in. Or those who believe Davante Gardner is a strong possibility. Or, for cripe's sake, those who think Otule has a chance in hell of being an NBA player.

We love our guys, and that's cool. But sometimes we gotta take off those blue-and-gold glasses and look reality in the eye.
What the hell are you talking about....this isn't a "lesson" to anyone! Each individual is different and each situation is different. This isn't "a lesson" to Vander or Devante or Jamil....what are you saying?

What "lesson" are you talking about? He just wasn't drafted. I am sure he hoped he would be and many said he was not good enough, but the point was he was ready to go. Let him go and wish him well.

There is no "lesson" to be learned chasing your dream....his dream continues but only the journey and time has change to when he reaches it.

I don't get this message at all...This does not have anything to do with Jamil or Devante at all. The two Wisconsin kids did not get drafted either.

Alot of teams took foreign players that cut down Vander's chances and teams drafted some guys to stock overseas for a few years. In some ways it might be best that he didn't get drafted. Second round picks are not guaranteed the money anyways.

It was no wrong for Vander to explore the NBA, I am going to say this and I will never comment on this Vander subject again because it is getting tiresome....his mistakes was signing with an agent when he did that prohibited him coming back when he saw he would not be a first round pick.

To me that was his mistake and it was a slight and slap at Buzz Williams that I do not think Vander realized or cared and he was just done. That to me was a bit tactless. The only player who did that here in the last 10 years was Wade. And Vander was the highest ranked recruit at MU.

He should have held out and worked out up until the very last second and then made a decision then but not sign with an agent IMMEDIATELY after the season ended. I have no idea who gave him that advice? But he struck when the iron was hot or seemed to be...  

Which shows that maybe that this was planned all along which may have been seen as premature or immature to some. Heck even Juan Anderson and Jake Thomas came back....he didn't and did not even leave open that possibility either as a team leader.

And I am sure teams asked him about it and it turned them off because he has some ability. But that is just the way it looks on the outside. Okay, I'm done. I wish the young man well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:28:03 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
I didn't know Vanders mom read MUScoop...

What the hell are you talking about....this isn't a "lesson" to anyone! Each individual is different and each situation is different. This isn't "a lesson" to Vander or Devante or Jamil....what are you saying?

What "lesson" are you talking about? He just wasn't drafted. I am sure he hoped he would be and many said he was not good enough, but the point was he was ready to go. Let him go and wish him well.

There is no "lesson" to be learned chasing your dream....his dream continues but only the journey and time has change to when he reaches it.

I don't get this message at all...This does not have anything to do with Jamil or Devante at all. The two Wisconsin kids did not get drafted either.

Alot of teams took foreign players that cut down Vander's chances and teams drafted some guys to stock overseas for a few years. In some ways it might be best that he didn't get drafted. Second round picks are not guaranteed the money anyways.

It was no wrong for Vander to explore the NBA, I am going to say this and I will never comment on this Vander subject again because it is getting tiresome....his mistakes was signing with an agent when he did that prohibited him coming back when he saw he would not be a first round pick.

To me that was his mistake and it was a slight and slap at Buzz Williams that I do not think Vander realized or cared and he was just done. That to me was a bit tactless. The only player who did that here in the last 10 years was Wade. And Vander was the highest ranked recruit at MU.

He should have held out and worked out up until the very last second and then made a decision then but not sign with an agent IMMEDIATELY after the season ended. I have no idea who gave him that advice? But he struck when the iron was hot or seemed to be...  

Which shows that maybe that this was planned all along which may have been seen as premature or immature to some. Heck even Juan Anderson and Jake Thomas came back....he didn't and did not even leave open that possibility either as a team leader.

And I am sure teams asked him about it and it turned them off because he has some ability. But that is just the way it looks on the outside. Okay, I'm done. I wish the young man well.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »
Next stop, D-League!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 05:38:41 AM »

Yeah I think this is a good point.  I doubt Vander gets drafted next year too.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »
Yes if he had come back and had the year he had last year this year, he would have been drafted next year even if it was the second round. He left too early. But that was his decision and he has to live with it and I am sure has no regrets.

He was sick of the drama probably...and the expectations and pressure and perhaps some accountability and responsibility in leadership that only can be honed going through adversity. And I am certain that is what teams saw...

Listening to his interviews he gave no real reason why he came out except he felt that he was ready and did not specify how and in what way was he ready other then having a few good games and a few shots fall in the tourney?

There had to be a red flag that more then one team saw for him not to be drafted. It is pointless to really speculate now but he should stayed 4 years.

The only MU player who stay 3 was great enough to make the leap and is winning rings now and is a Hall of Fame Player. DWade is the exception to the rule.

The guy was the heart and soul of an Elite 8 team who hit some game winning shots. He pretty much left on top. I really don't know what adversity he had to go through besides learning how to be a PG. No NBA scout is sitting there thinking, "Wow! Vander is a NBA prospect if he just goes through more adversity or becomes a better leader."

Those red flags you are talking about? Limited PG, skills with horrible range and not enough height. Teams didn't see him as a pro prospect. That's the red flag. I think Blue personally should have came back for a great experience, but that's another year where he isn't getting paid and risking injury, all so he can be a 2nd half of 2nd round NBA draft pick. Vander wanted to get paid now and he will.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 05:53:22 AM »
Strotty,  can we read the piece you wrote if Vander would have been drafted?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 05:56:29 AM »

I didn't think Blue would get drafted. I do think Wilson will...and I don't wear Blue and gold glasses.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 05:57:29 AM »

Uh...Jimmy Chones, Larry McNeill, Maurice Lucas, Doc Rivers....

Death on call

chren21

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »

Yeah I think this is a good point.  I doubt Vander gets drafted next year too.

So if MU was top 15 all year and he averaged 17 you think he would not have gotten picked on second round?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
Some players games don't project to the NBA as well. Scottie Reynolds anyone, was a first team all american and didn't get drafted.  If he didn't project to pg then he's not much use to an NBA team as a shooting guard who can't shoot.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 07:20:04 AM »

FWIW, I thought Vander was going to get picked at the tail end.  It turned out that a lot more foreign players got drafted instead.  Which makes sense in a weak draft... you stash the foreign players for a few years and hope they pan out rather than taking a bench filler.

Also, at this point in time, I don't see Jamil, Davante, or Otule getting drafted.  Out of the three, Jamil has the best shot.  The main problem with Jamil is that he has zero killer instinct.  Too passive.  Has all of the tools, but differs far too often.  Hope that changes this year, and if it does he has a shot at the league.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 07:34:38 AM »
So if MU was top 15 all year and he averaged 17 you think he would not have gotten picked on second round?

He averaged almost 15 on an Elite 8 team this year.  And that isn't what scouts look at anyway.  He wasn't drafted because he had fundamental flaws in his game.  Unless his extra year at MU was going to fix those flaws, NBA scouts would judge him the same way.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 07:39:02 AM »
Sometimes the truth hurts. Vander Blue messed up:

http://painttouches.com/2013/06/27/strotman-blues-own-mistakes-land-him-undrafted/

Maybe Blue messed up. But how many of us would have left MU early if we had an opportunity to play professional basketball?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 07:40:39 AM »
Maybe Blue messed up. But how many of us would have left MU early if we had an opportunity to play professional basketball?

That's kind of a simplistic way of looking at it.  If I felt that I could have waited one more year to make even more money playing in a better league, then I wouldn't have left.

That being said, he actually may have made a good decision.  Only time will tell.