[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 12:33:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kevin Looney kisses Marquette goodbye...........  (Read 113877 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Kevin Looney kisses Marquette goodbye...........
« Reply #300 on: November 01, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Sorry--I do not rip on Buzz's recruiting all the time--only on his recruiting of bigs--which is marginal at best from the record.

For the record, Buzz has done a good job recruiting overall. His latest class shows that, as well as some of the past. Where we have fallen down is in recruiting bigs. Look at that record. IMO, as I have stated several times, we need a quality big to go along with the other talent coming in to reach the FF. That must happen within the next year or two, before all the current talent is gone.

You have opinions and so do I. However, the track record for bigs is not good. Gardner was good, the rest have not been. MCKay, Williams, Mbao, Roseboro, McMorrow, Durley and so on.

Hope we make FF this year, but it will be tough, unless Gardner has a super year.
[/quote

Without a solid point not sure that can happen.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #301 on: November 01, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »
Sorry, I lived in Iowa when the Pierre Pierce stuff went on, so I do not need Google to tell me. Clearly, Alford made mistakes on Pierce, but he did nothing illegal. Initially, he was giving the guy support. His mistake was not cutting it off. So yeah, he made a mistake with Pierce. So Alford is not perfect like you profess to be. And if you are so upset by the Pierce fiasco, then start looking at Ferentz's track record with convicts. And please let us hear your thoughts on Pitino at Porcinis or Cal's sterling record.

And by the way, there are many on this board that talk about making the FF. I merely give my opinion on what I believe we need to get there. And there are many who feel the same way.

And speaking of humping legs, get off mine. Because you love to pontificate about your limited BB knowledge. But guess what--to make you feel better, the ignore button is always there--or don't read the posts and then you can quit bitching about my posts.

I actually don't have a problem with your posts so you can say whatever you really want.

But as for Alford and Pierce, I never claimed what others did were perfect.  But Rick cheating on his wife, and Cal and his alleged recruiting violations are orders of magnitude less troublesome to me than getting directly involved with a sexual assault case to protect his star player - to the point of contacting the victim directly to try to convince her not to press charges.  Only to have that star player pretty much repeat the same action later.  Not a chance in hell my kid would ever play for a coach like that.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »
getting directly involved with a sexual assault case to protect his star player - to the point of contacting the victim directly to try to convince her not to press charges.  Only to have that star player pretty much repeat the same action later.  Not a chance in hell my kid would ever play for a coach like that.
Don't know much about Alford at all, but was talking to a pretty connected guy in the national media about the Looney choice yesterday and he said, "UCLA is a great school, good for him. But Alford is such a douche." This guy is a former player, analyst and studio guy who has had multiple run-ins with him over the years.

I'm just relieved it wasn't UW. The Looney decision eliminated my paranoia/nightmare scenario of Looney going to UW, then Stone following, then Dekker staying all four years and Tokoto and Nolan transferring to UW and making a run in 2016.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
Look at that record. IMO, as I have stated several times, we need a quality big to go along with the other talent coming in to reach the FF. That must happen within the next year or two, before all the current talent is gone.

LOL
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
Don't know much about Alford at all, but was talking to a pretty connected guy in the national media about the Looney choice yesterday and he said, "UCLA is a great school, good for him. But Alford is such a douche." This guy is a former player, analyst and studio guy who has had multiple run-ins with him over the years.

I'm just relieved it wasn't UW. The Looney decision eliminated my paranoia/nightmare scenario of Looney going to UW, then Stone following, then Dekker staying all four years and Tokoto and Nolan transferring to UW and making a run in 2016.

Looney was never coming to UW.  Even MOST UW fans would admit that.  Stone is NOT going to UW either.  There are just too many factors going against them.  I dont think MU lands Stone either.  But I think MU has about 10x better chance than UW.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

tower912

• All American
« Reply #305 on: November 01, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »
7 NCAA appearances in 18 years = UCLA
5 NCAA appearances in 9 years = Indiana

No wonder the guy with 5 NCAA appearances and 8 wins in 5 years is always on the hot list. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #306 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »
7 NCAA appearances in 18 years = UCLA
5 NCAA appearances in 9 years = Indiana

??

UCLA has 14 NCAA appearances in the last 18 years. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #307 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:31 PM »
??

I think he means Alford
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #308 on: November 01, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
??

The coach with 7 NCAA tournament appearances in 18 years gets to be the coach at UCLA.
The coach with 5 NCAA tournament appearances in 9 years gets to be the coach at IU.

No wonder the coach with 5 NCAA appearances in 5 years is so popular.   
Still confused?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #309 on: November 01, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »
The coach with 7 NCAA tournament appearances in 18 years gets to be the coach at UCLA.
The coach with 5 NCAA tournament appearances in 9 years gets to be the coach at IU.

No wonder the coach with 5 NCAA appearances in 5 years is so popular.   
Still confused?

Thanks for the clarification.   It seems to me you guys still lack depth on your analysis, starting points matter.  How would Buzz have done at SWMS?  Or Iowa?  Or UNM?   We know how he did at UNO.

Starting points matter....they are not always ready made, gift wrapped with NBA talent in a high profile league.  In some cases, the teams don't even have a roster of anyone exceeding 120 total minutes.   Starting points matter.  Talent matters.

How did John Ferrell do as manager last year of the Blue Jays?  How did he do this year as a manager of the Red Sox?  Did the light go on this year, or was he managing a better product, better talent, etc?

Starting points matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
Found it interesting to see that Kevon Looney was the Number 1 Search on Yahoo today...pretty remarkable.  Shows the scope of the UCLA fan base, and the other schools that were finalists.

Was also interesting to read the comments people left (mostly UW fans) on the Journal Sentinel story on Looney going to UCLA.

Would have loved to have him at MU, yet can also understand why a kid from MKE might like to go to LA...for lifestyle reasons - yet I'd put a kids chances at greatest skill development and chance at big time tourney success as higher at MU under Buzz than UCLA under Alford..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
You make a good point about starting points.    Let's try these two.   Coach 1, in years 5-9 of a coaching tenure, coming off of a final 4 appearance, has a 106-55 record with a 1-3 record in the NCAA tourney.   Coach 2, in his first 5 years of a coaching tenure, some with coach 1's players, has a 122-52 record with a 8-5 NCAA tourney record.   Coach 1 never managed a conference record better than 11-7.   Coach 2 won a conference championship with a 14-4 record.   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:48:19 PM by tower912 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #312 on: November 01, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
My only question is:  Do starting points matter?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #313 on: November 01, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »

Can't get it done when it matters most.  Underachiever.

I would love to hear Alford's assessment of your life

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »
Found it interesting to see that Kevon Looney was the Number 1 Search on Yahoo today...pretty remarkable.  Shows the scope of the UCLA fan base, and the other schools that were finalists.

Was also interesting to read the comments people left (mostly UW fans) on the Journal Sentinel story on Looney going to UCLA.

Would have loved to have him at MU, yet can also understand why a kid from MKE might like to go to LA...for lifestyle reasons - yet I'd put a kids chances at greatest skill development and chance at big time tourney success as higher at MU under Buzz than UCLA under Alford..

What does it say about the UCLA fan base if their choice of search engines is Yahoo?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
What does it say about the UCLA fan base if their choice of search engines is Yahoo?

Or that all Yahoo! users are UCLA fans

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #316 on: November 01, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
Article from Wed. on controversy at UCLA from hiring Alford...
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alford-533943-guerrero-wrote.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #317 on: November 01, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »

What's interesting ners is that almost no one in the office yesterday that are UCLA guys knew they got him or that they were even recruiting him.  Many were making fun of his name saying they didn't need a Looney Tunes player, etc.  Very little local buzz, at least in the office.  Today, of course, we had the shooting at LAX which is right across the street, so not much talk of hoops today. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #318 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
My only question is:  Do starting points matter?

I know you are attempting to be funny with my post..touche.

Some people are born in the lucky sperm club....their starting point is different than others.  I used to work with Hank Paulson's son and there wasn't a meeting I had that I didn't come away thinking that. Smart guy, but he got a 75 yard start in a 100 yard race than everyone else.

Some people enter a business and toil for years to get it going, because they didn't have the capital or resources....others stepped right into a great situation.

Examples every day in sports, business, relationships, etc.  Starting points matter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #319 on: November 01, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »

Some people are born in the lucky sperm club....their starting point is different than others.  I used to work with Hank Paulson's son and there wasn't a meeting I had that I didn't come away thinking that. Smart guy, but he got a 75 yard start in a 100 yard race than everyone else.

Some people enter a business and toil for years to get it going, because they didn't have the capital or resources....others stepped right into a great situation.

Examples every day in sports, business, relationships, etc.  Starting points matter.

A simple "yes" or "no" would have done.  (You're right, I'm attempting to be funny.  I'll be here all night, fellas.)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #320 on: November 01, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »

There will always be someone smarter, nicer, better connected, luckier, etc., than you, me or anybody else here. It's a little unseemly for those of us born on 2nd base (to educated, sacrificing, loving parents) to envy those few even luckier. There's a reason why it's one of the 7 deadly sins.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #321 on: November 02, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »
I would love to hear Alford's assessment of your life

So would I.  I would invite him to do so. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #322 on: November 02, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
There will always be someone smarter, nicer, better connected, luckier, etc., than you, me or anybody else here. It's a little unseemly for those of us born on 2nd base (to educated, sacrificing, loving parents) to envy those few even luckier. There's a reason why it's one of the 7 deadly sins.

Dude you can't make babies on second base.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #323 on: November 02, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »

So would I.  I would invite him to do so. 

You know he's probaby not going to be all that kind to you, Sultan... unless you've raped someone; in which case, I'm certain that Steve will give a glowing assessment of your life.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #324 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »
A simple "yes" or "no" would have done.  (You're right, I'm attempting to be funny.  I'll be here all night, fellas.)
Yes or no answers do not allow for the name drop and habitual condescension.