collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Big Ten Network's Plan For World Domination  (Read 3380 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Big Ten Network's Plan For World Domination
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
Big Ten Network President Mark Silverman talks about his goal of reaching 60 million homes by 2015 and why he's hoping ad buyers will start changing their habits.

He said they have 50+ million subscribers now.  For comparison ESPN has 100 million subscribers.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2240500562001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAACrIW3Q~,rmoqnMjEXAKEy815AuuTa87OrVcGyuCQ&bclid=2242925299001&bctid=2484704297001

------------

In the interview Silverman kept stressing the need for content.  I was left with the impression that they want the BTN to have 100 million subscribers and to do that the B1G will need to become a 25 team conference.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The Big Ten Network's Plan For World Domination
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Mark is a smart guy, but I think his 60 million goal might go through a few issues in the coming 2 years.  We'll see how things shake out.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 04:47:34 PM »
Welp, ACC, say goodbye to Georgia Tech (once Maryland settles its exit fee suit, of course).

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
I just get more and more comfortable with the new BE. There will be 2 super conferences and multiple "niche" conferences once it's all said and done. I like the one we're in.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
So glad I live in Pac-12 territory. Would hate to see even one dollar of my cable bill going to support that crap. I would rather watch a Real Housewives marathon over anything involving Big 10 teams.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
What do these networks get per subscriber?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
Welp, ACC, say goodbye to Georgia Tech (once Maryland settles its exit fee suit, of course).

But that's just not going to happen.  Georgia Tech voted to impose even more severe financial penalties for leaving the ACC.  I think we are done with this for at least a decade.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
Passed on my option to watch B10n  on TWC.  I think this guy is practicing Wishful Thinking on the numbers

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Passed on my option to watch B10n  on TWC.  I think this guy is practicing Wishful Thinking on the numbers

Where do you live?  I don't think you can pass if you live in Big Ten footprint.  At least in Wisconsin it comes with basic cable.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

Georgia Tech ain't crazy! ACC, as a whole, are about to dominate the tv airwaves. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
What do these networks get per subscriber?

A couple of years old, obviously not going to disclose publicly the latest but since this link is available on the web from Kagan, ok to publish.  Basically take these rates and add to them (in some cases significantly)

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
Thanks Chicos
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »

But that's just not going to happen.  Georgia Tech voted to impose even more severe financial penalties for leaving the ACC.  I think we are done with this for at least a decade.

Hey, as long as Georgia Tech is cool with not getting any TV money for the next 14 years, they can go wherever they want.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:01 AM »
Where do you live?  I don't think you can pass if you live in Big Ten footprint.  At least in Wisconsin it comes with basic cable.

I'm in Green Bay area and BTN (along with NBCsports and a few others) were moved off basic to a higher tier a few months ago on Charter Cable.