collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 4 Nights in Milwaukee....what to do?  (Read 28163 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: 4 Nights in Milwaukee....what to do?
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
You should also have a beer on the deck of 2028 W. Michigan. That house is a palace.
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
The Harp is a good one.  Especially on a hot summer night.

Did they have a big Men's Softball Championship Trophy from the early 80's in a prominent spot?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »
3 wood is good. Personally, I prefer a 47 degree pitchin' wedge upside the motherf*cker's head. I can control it better and leavin' a nice divot on his temple tends to shape the shot with just the right amount of suck back.

It's funny but these days I don't carry my driver (even though I have 4 of them...) I also ditched the 3 Iron. I play Ping G5's and because I've spent too much time in the gym I hit the PW about 140 yards and the SW 130. I therefore have a mix of Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway, and Ping wedges and will carry about five with me - up to a 64*. I love the short game but I also prefer links courses and those two tend not to mix well.

I think my Titleist Vokeys would make superb close combat assault weapons. Your point about divots is well taken. I have some of the now illegal grooved Clevelands that really dig into the turf; I suspect these would be rather effective in warding off the random car jacking.

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »
Lens, you are a man with an expense account.  

If the dinner is too pricey, Mader's has a nice bar--the Knight's Bar.  Free parking for MU games, btw.

In terms of steak, I think the Milwaukee Chop House is the best.  Also like 5 O'Clock, which you don't have to wait for 5 o'clock for anymore for reservations.  Ward's is up and down but I like the bar there for dinner and shuttle.  

Oh, and we all forgot The Safehouse.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »
there might be a secret entrance in the Milwaukee Press club but you didn't get that from me

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
Lens, you are a man with an expense account.  

If the dinner is too pricey, Mader's has a nice bar--the Knight's Bar.  Free parking for MU games, btw.

In terms of steak, I think the Milwaukee Chop House is the best.  Also like 5 O'Clock, which you don't have to wait for 5 o'clock for anymore for reservations.  Ward's is up and down but I like the bar there for dinner and shuttle.  

Who forgot it? I wouldn't send people there. Wolski's is a much cooler spot if you want unique. Safehouse is just a tourist trap IMO. I hate those types of places.

BTW, go to Wolski's - you'll love it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2013, 09:13:32 AM »
Who forgot it? I wouldn't send people there. Wolski's is a much cooler spot if you want unique. Safehouse is just a tourist trap IMO. I hate those types of places.

If you want a slice of Milwaukee, that's the bar to go to. Every out-of-towner I've taken there has loved it. Cheap beer, real darts, and now a nice patio.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »

Yes.  An absolute must.  Walking distance from Brady Street bars too.  A great Friday night could be mexican & margaritas at Cempazuchi, some wine at Balzac, drinks at Hi Hat, dancing to Abba with girls barely older than your daughter at Jo Cats and then Wolski's.  But please skip Thurmans.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
I play Ping G5's and because I've spent too much time in the gym I hit the PW about 140 yards and the SW 130.

lol

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
I average 22 putts/round.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2013, 12:39:40 PM »
I average 22 putts/round.

I average 22 putts per front nine...

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Yes.  An absolute must.  Walking distance from Brady Street bars too.  A great Friday night could be mexican & margaritas at Cempazuchi, some wine at Balzac, drinks at Hi Hat, dancing to Abba with girls barely older than your daughter at Jo Cats and then Wolski's.  But please skip Thurmans.

You're passing up a Prix Fix at the Nomad? Poor choice.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
As I qualified it, this was date with the wife list.  My wife is not a big 5 O'Clock fan.  And since the Coerper family no longer owns it, I think it has slid a touch. 

I too have had an up and down experience at Carnevor but if you let Omar (the owner / front man) know, he always makes people whole.  I used to be a big Mo's guy...not so sure any more.

Also with regards to 5 O'Clock, I tried sending people to the beaten path where they could easily walk to an after dinner spot and close to the city center.  You lose that with 5 O'Clock...same reason I didn't include Circa 1880, Odd Duck, Crazy Water.  Which are great spots, but a little tougher for cabs.

Real Chili is a given.  A given.
Lens - I read your first list and I feel like you're in my head. Agree with all recs. Those of you recommending the old Coerper's need to go again and re-verify. I'm just talking food here, but it is not in the ballpark of Carnevor or Capital Grille. Old Coerpers was always on my top list based on years of great steaks, but it is nothing more than average now. Even hotel places like Milwaukee Chophouse and Mason Street have better steaks.

And for you guys talking about the German restaurants and their golden days, there is a place by Franklin called St. Martenns Inn -- it's a supper club kind of place with a german food slant. The chef worked at Mader's years ago and it is legit at a much better price. Reuben soup, reuben rolls, wiener schnitzle, pork shank, etc. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere, but the food is the real deal.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
Ahhh...Wolski's:  the one sure way to be successful with the women is by washing your hands after using the men's room.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
Paddy's patio in the summer cannot be beat, IMO.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »
Do they still have the ferry ride from Milwaukee to Muskegon and back?  When I was in the MU Chorus we took the ride every fall. Of course we made our own entertainment singing old beer songs. What was unique about the trip was that you would see the sun rise over the lake as it departed in the morning and later you would see the sun set over the lake on the return. Not too many places in the world where you can see the sun rise and set over the horizon of a large body of water on the same day.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »
Not too many places in the world where you can see the sun rise and set over the horizon of a large body of water on the same day.

One of the perks of being a fighter pilot is having bacon and eggs in Tidewater then haggis and mash in Stornoway

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
It's too bad Lenny's is closed. I would have recommended he and his wife hit Lenny's at 2100 and drink there until closing. Get to meet some of the locals, savor the taste of PBR, and maybe throw back a shot or two of cheap rye - all for under $20. Then they could slam into Real Chili for a couple of bowls then go back to the dorm and have some sloppy drunken sex. That is the Full Meal Deal Marquette Experience crammed into one night.

Keefe, you forgot one thing.  Return to Lenny's at 06:00 the following morning when it opens.   ;)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2013, 09:56:03 PM »
Consider the 4th base.  5117 w National.  Just a neighborhood bar....where you can get anything from a simple cheeseburger to crab legs.

Also, 30 minutes north is the town of Port Washington.  Quaint harbor town.  Used to get onto a ton of trouble there as a younger lad.  Lots of shops and bars on the harbor.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »
Keefe, you forgot one thing.  Return to Lenny's at 06:00 the following morning when it opens.   ;)

A minor concession to age. And the distinct possibility of an eye opener with the old lady...

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2013, 04:57:15 AM »
Do they still have the ferry ride from Milwaukee to Muskegon and back?  When I was in the MU Chorus we took the ride every fall. Of course we made our own entertainment singing old beer songs. What was unique about the trip was that you would see the sun rise over the lake as it departed in the morning and later you would see the sun set over the lake on the return. Not too many places in the world where you can see the sun rise and set over the horizon of a large body of water on the same day.

F*ckin' took the fairy ride while at MU and is still on it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »

F*ckin' took the fairy ride while at MU and is still on it.

5 am, a'ina?  Thinking of me must still give you morning wood.

feedback