collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 4 Nights in Milwaukee....what to do?  (Read 28162 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: 4 Nights in Milwaukee....what to do?
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »
I am sorry to hear that about Ratzsch's. Back in the day it was a world-class restaurant. Between Mader's and Ratzsch's there was no question as to which was the better. I have not eaten there in 30 years so forgive my lack of situational awareness.

Not arguing with you about what was better back in the day (I'm only in my mid 20s), but Mader's blows Ratzsch's away nowadays, in both dining experience and food. It is not cheap though.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
Bills,

Unfortunately you are too late to experience two of the finest watering holes to ever offer chilled beverages to slake the thirst of a parched community. The brick and mortar of the Lanche and Lenny's are gone...but the memories remain...

The Lanche was that worn plantation house fallen on hard times, glimpses of her former glory straining against faded chintz, the yellowed chandeliers from Paris no longer illuminating splendid gentlemen in gray, settled uncomfortably on the veranda for the next mint julep while rehashing that field and Pickett's failure and the agony of what might have been, as the rustle of hooped skirts reverberates through darkened hallways hinting at the salacious, but the only life is in the Spanish Moss draped capriciously on gnarled cypress.

Lenny's was the tar paper shack out on the Bayou, beyond the critical gaze of the censuring eye, where the gentility slithered off at dusk to join the unwashed indulging earthier hungers, the sharp twang of the blues resonates off tin, the sorrow and pity of those words adding depth, richness, and meaning to the bourbon, there is loss but few regrets and certainly no remorse, where a man's soul is darker than the waters outside with desires more venomous than the cotton mouth, a place where dreams swirl in a monotonous languor bereft of hope.

Well done Keefe, well done.

MUBills, there are really only 2 on-campus bars left, Murphy's and Caffrey's, and they are both super generic in terms of atmosphere and beverage selection, although Caffrey's does have a decent outdoor patio space. There's nothing terribly wrong with these places, there's just not much unique about them either. Most students venture down to 3rd street, hitting up Milwaukee Brat Haus, Old German Beer Hall, Buckhead Saloon, Lucille's Piano Bar, as well as the many, many bars a few blocks further east on Water Street.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
I would like to get this on a shirt that simply says "Milwaukee" underneath the picture.  Considering that the Milverine walks at Mach II speed, this picture is quite amazing and surprisingly he's not blurry.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
I would like to get this on a shirt that simply says "Milwaukee" underneath the picture.  Considering that the Milverine walks at Mach II speed, this picture is quite amazing and surprisingly he's not blurry.

dang.  that's like celestial, man.   8-)

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
Well done Keefe, well done.

MUBills, there are really only 2 on-campus bars left, Murphy's and Caffrey's, and they are both super generic in terms of atmosphere and beverage selection, although Caffrey's does have a decent outdoor patio space. There's nothing terribly wrong with these places, there's just not much unique about them either. Most students venture down to 3rd street, hitting up Milwaukee Brat Haus, Old German Beer Hall, Buckhead Saloon, Lucille's Piano Bar, as well as the many, many bars a few blocks further east on Water Street.

A couple of the go to bars in between 3rd St. and Water St. are The Harp on the river (my personal favortie) and Trinity which is 3 bars in one.
Bring back FFP!!!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
The Harp is a good one.  Especially on a hot summer night.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
A couple of the go to bars in between 3rd St. and Water St. are The Harp on the river (my personal favortie) and Trinity which is 3 bars in one.

Trinity is awful...quite possibly the worst bar in Milwaukee...unless of course you want terrible service in a crowd of douches.

I fully support the Von Trier idea...as well as Paddy's. Both have spectacular patios. Milwaukee County has also brought back Beer Gardens in public parks. Last year was the first year for it and was a huge success in Estabrook Park. They are just now finishing up a complete remodel of the whole place for improved seating, facilities and service stands. OGBH is contracted with the county to provide the beer so it's predominantly Hofbrauhaus although they do have a few other brewed by Miller options. Definitely something I would recommend. I believe they are also planning on opening up a Beer Garden at Hoyt Park in Tosa in July as well.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Well the guy asked what bars students go to and lots go to Trinity, no need to get so upset. I still stand by my statement that The Harp is my favorite bar in Milwaukee
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »
Not arguing with you about what was better back in the day (I'm only in my mid 20s), but Mader's blows Ratzsch's away nowadays, in both dining experience and food. It is not cheap though.

Don't get me wrong, I am just amazed that Ratzsch's has gone that far down hill. They enjoyed a well-deserved international reputation for culinary excellence. My dad was a pilot and when the opportunity presented itself he would overnight at Mitchell AFB and pay a visit. He would always insist on taking my wife (then girlfriend) and me to Ratzsch's for dinner. He did several tours at Wiesbaden and Ramstein and loved German cuisine; he thought Ratzsch's the finest German restaurant in North America.

There was once a time when Cadillac epitomized automotive engineering excellence.

Death on call

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
If you are interested in the Great Lakes Distillery I saw they have a Groupon going on right now

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
Is Blatz still doing tours?

Death on call

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
That Thursday I would definitely hit Jazz in the Park at Cathedral Square, downtown.  You will be able to choose from a bunch of nearby restaurants and well as food stands.

Since you're with your wife, I'll list our favorite date spots:

Italian: Zarletti on Milwaukee St (if you go no where else, go here)
French: Lake Park Bistro, Coquette in the 3rd Ward
Pizza: Zaffiro's, Farwell & Brady
Seafood: Harbor House (might be a must for at least cocktails & apps, great views back towards city)
Steak: Carnevor
Mexican: Botanas on S. 5th St
Drinks: Blu, Distill or Hi Hat
Day Drinking: Wicked Hop, Benelux, Trocadero, The Harp, Hollander
Night Drinking: McGillycuddy's Patio, Flannery's, Belmont, Elsa's, Jefferson St in general
Bar Food: Hooligan's on North Ave, Sobelmann's on St Paul (hit the original)
Fancy Bar Food: Elsa's
Breakfast: Cafe at the Pfister, Original Pancake House 
Brunch*: Trocadero, Benelux,

*Our idea of brunch is 1 course of food, 4-5 courses of bloody's

I could go on but I would just add this, places like Mader's & Karl Ratzch's are proud parts of our history but in no way representative of what is going on in Milwaukee now.  Mader's is worth a stop to look around, maybe have pretzel, hit the gift shop.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »
With all the boozing and schnecking I hope they bring their workout gear or they'll have to roll themselves back to the Bay Area...

Death on call

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 08:11:35 AM »
With all the boozing and schnecking I hope they bring their workout gear or they'll have to roll themselves back to the Bay Area...

You know you're going to the midwest when some guy's list separate categories for:

-Drinks
-Day Drinking
-Night Drinking
-Bar Food
-Fancy Bar Food
-And Brunch that's really just an excuse to start cocktailing even earlier.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
You know you're going to the midwest when some guy's list separate categories for:

-Drinks
-Day Drinking
-Night Drinking
-Bar Food
-Fancy Bar Food
-And Brunch that's really just an excuse to start cocktailing even earlier.

Isn't Tater Tots its own Special Bar Food Category?

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
no Real Chili? Perhaps substitute that for Elsa's?

for the authentic Milwaukee steakhouse experience you have to substitute the Five O'Clock club for Carnevor IMO, there's just nothing that compares to a place with a parking lot attendant with a driver for security and the State St environment not to mention I will never return to Carnevor after Mrs. Red Stripe & I were seated at the 2-top just outside the rest rooms forcing us to lean forward everytime a patron had to enter/leave the pisser

That Thursday I would definitely hit Jazz in the Park at Cathedral Square, downtown.  You will be able to choose from a bunch of nearby restaurants and well as food stands.

Since you're with your wife, I'll list our favorite date spots:

Italian: Zarletti on Milwaukee St (if you go no where else, go here)
French: Lake Park Bistro, Coquette in the 3rd Ward
Pizza: Zaffiro's, Farwell & Brady
Seafood: Harbor House (might be a must for at least cocktails & apps, great views back towards city)
Steak: Carnevor
Mexican: Botanas on S. 5th St
Drinks: Blu, Distill or Hi Hat
Day Drinking: Wicked Hop, Benelux, Trocadero, The Harp, Hollander
Night Drinking: McGillycuddy's Patio, Flannery's, Belmont, Elsa's, Jefferson St in general
Bar Food: Hooligan's on North Ave, Sobelmann's on St Paul (hit the original)
Fancy Bar Food: Elsa's
Breakfast: Cafe at the Pfister, Original Pancake House  
Brunch*: Trocadero, Benelux,

*Our idea of brunch is 1 course of food, 4-5 courses of bloody's

I could go on but I would just add this, places like Mader's & Karl Ratzch's are proud parts of our history but in no way representative of what is going on in Milwaukee now.  Mader's is worth a stop to look around, maybe have pretzel, hit the gift shop.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:23:49 AM by Red Stripe »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

for the authentic Milwaukee steakhouse experience you have to substitute the Five O'Clock club for Carnevor IMO, there's just nothing that compares to a place with a parking lot attendant with a driver for security and the State St environment not to mention I will never return to Carnevor after Mrs. Red Stripe & I were seated at the 2-top just outside the rest rooms forcing us to lean forward everytime a patron had to enter/leave the pisser

As any bon vivant will tell you there is nothing like Eau de Sheet to add to the epicurean enchantment

Death on call

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 11:21:50 AM »
I agree that Five O'clock is where it's at, but I've never been to Carnevor
Bring back FFP!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »

Yeah, kinda tough when the waitstaff remembers your tip from the previous visit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »

Yeah, kinda tough when the waitstaff remembers your tip from the previous visit, hey?

I like the Valet with the Driver. Personally, I would have a 3 Wood out as my Driver doesn't seem to work lately.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
I like the Valet with the Driver. Personally, I would have a 3 Wood out as my Driver doesn't seem to work lately.

3 wood is good. Personally, I prefer a 47 degree pitchin' wedge upside the motherf*cker's head. I can control it better and leavin' a nice divot on his temple tends to shape the shot with just the right amount of suck back.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:55 PM »
LOL, 1st (and last) visit, too many great steak options in town. they never should have put a table there and hopefully for others, they have removed that one.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »

As I qualified it, this was date with the wife list.  My wife is not a big 5 O'Clock fan.  And since the Coerper family no longer owns it, I think it has slid a touch. 

I too have had an up and down experience at Carnevor but if you let Omar (the owner / front man) know, he always makes people whole.  I used to be a big Mo's guy...not so sure any more.

Also with regards to 5 O'Clock, I tried sending people to the beaten path where they could easily walk to an after dinner spot and close to the city center.  You lose that with 5 O'Clock...same reason I didn't include Circa 1880, Odd Duck, Crazy Water.  Which are great spots, but a little tougher for cabs.

Real Chili is a given.  A given.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »

And since the Coerper family no longer owns it, I think it has slid a touch

Did you know that when Ted owned it whatever salad and dressing your table didn't use was not thrown out but served again to the next table? The new owners stopped that tradition. We too used to go often for special occasions before and after Ted owned it, not so much anymore because for that flavor the Milwaukee Steakhouse is more convenient for us.

Also with regards to 5 O'Clock, I tried sending people to the beaten path where they could easily walk to an after dinner spot and close to the city center.  You lose that with 5 O'Clock...same reason I didn't include Circa 1880, Odd Duck, Crazy Water.  Which are great spots, but a little tougher for cabs.

Fair enough.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
I'd recommend a trip to Marquette, of course, but as the lady in Costco said today when she saw my MU t-shirt:

"Marquette ... that's in Michigan, right?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson