Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Who becomes Marquette's new biggest rival?  (Read 20196 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Who becomes Marquette's new biggest rival?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Does a rival have to be hated? If so, I am not sure there is a big rival in our conference for me. The teams I hated the most were Louisville and Syracuse followed by Pitt, Cincy & Uconn.  I would not want to lose to Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul, because right now they are not very good, but I do not hate them like some of the teams we are no longer with. I think the most important team in our conference to beat is Georgetown, but I also like Georgetown.

The ones I hated most were Notre Dame, followed by Notre Dame, Notre Dame and then, um, Notre Dame.

Gotta keep an annual game against Notre Dame.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
These are some random thoughts, in no meaningful order.

Because SoS is so important in college basketball, rivalries aren't the same as in other sports.  

I root hard for Georgetown in all games (except when they play us, obviously).  They go far in the tourney, it boosts our brand and puts dollars in our pockets because of the tourney credits.  Plus, on the main Georgetown board (HoyaTalk?), there was some hating on us after we made it to the S16 last year, but everyone else seemed to be pulling for us.  And on the other Gtown board they also seemed to like MU.

DePaul hasn't exactly "rivaled" our competition, at least in recent times.

Last games against Butler were awesome and the tourney game had that "rival feel" to it.  And they are close geographically, which always helps.

We've also had some great games against St. Johns recently (BE champ clincher, JFB's buzzer-beater, them whomping us at the BC)

In any case, I think the very fact that we are debating this means that we no longer have an in-conference rival in the truest sense of the word.  This is why I think it is absolutely paramount that we maintain games against Notre Dame, Lville, and Cincy, but especially Notre Dame.

EDIT: I also really miss playing West Virginia
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:32:52 PM by ElDonBDon »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
Once you all start meeting their douche bag fans, Butler will be as hated as anybody we play. There is nothing (and I mean NOTHING) worse than an elitist from Indiana. They're a special breed of arrogant. And from Indiana? Who would choose to live in Indiana?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »
Who would choose to live in Indiana?

Uh, Tanned Tommy...

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
Uh, Tanned Tommy...

And even Tanned Tommy won't do it unless they pay him to....
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
T-Cubed would live in rat's nest if he was paid enough to do it and spin it as though the rat's nest was the Trump Tower.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
Once you all start meeting their douche bag fans, Butler will be as hated as anybody we play. There is nothing (and I mean NOTHING) worse than an elitist from Indiana. They're a special breed of arrogant. And from Indiana? Who would choose to live in Indiana?

My favorite take on American petit bourgeois pretensions of that sort is found in the works of Evan Connell. Connell excoriates the veneer of extreme civility that is the hallmark of upper middle class conservatism to expose the emotional repression that tears at the soul of all those doctors, lawyers, and accountants infesting Grosse Pointe, Westchester, Whitefish Bay, and the Kansas City Country Club Plaza of his own upbringing. The stifling blandness underscores the inability of anyone to relate to each other in any meaningful manner. The stark juxtaposition of cultured, educated inmates sentenced to intense alienation in gilded prisons while the uncouth, vulgar help find richly rewarding fulfillment in their human relationships reveals the corruption of those polite but artificial social constructs.

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
I think for me the rivalry will come down to recruiting. The more we go after the same recruits with a particular team the more intense it gets especially if we lose a number of recruits to that team. It seemed like we never beat out Louisville for a recruit. The same for Syracuse, except we did not cross paths as often.  DePaul is the most likely team for us to cross paths on the recruiting trail and if they start winning a number of these battles it will make me dispise them.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
My favorite take on American petit bourgeois pretensions of that sort is found in the works of Evan Connell. Connell excoriates the veneer of extreme civility that is the hallmark of upper middle class conservatism to expose the emotional repression that tears at the soul of all those doctors, lawyers, and accountants infesting Grosse Pointe, Westchester, Whitefish Bay, and the Kansas City Country Club Plaza of his own upbringing. The stifling blandness underscores the inability of anyone to relate to each other in any meaningful manner. The stark juxtaposition of cultured, educated inmates sentenced to intense alienation in gilded prisons while the uncouth, vulgar help find richly rewarding fulfillment in their human relationships reveals the corruption of those polite but artificial social constructs.

There are a whole lot of those at the Bradley Center, too.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
Creighton.......?
Creighton's president was in town few weeks ago to talk to Milwaukee area Creighton alums at a fundraiser at the Wisconsin club.  He mentioned that the Milwaukee area Creighton alumni club was already planning on getting a huge block of tickets for local alums.  They have a rabid fan base and travel well.  They always have the most fans at the Missouri Valley tourney. When there are 100s of Jays fans at the BC, it will quickly become a rivalry.  
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
Creighton's president was in town few weeks ago to talk to Milwaukee area Creighton alums at a fundraiser at the Wisconsin club.  He mentioned that the Milwaukee area Creighton alumni club was already planning on getting a huge block of tickets for local alums.  They have a rabid fan base and travel well.  They always have the most fans at the Missouri Valley tourney. When there are 100s of Jays fans at the BC, it will quickly become a rivalry.  

Creighton would be a good rivalry.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 07:42:30 AM »

Damn, I was just thinking the same thing!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
Unfortunately I think this moves Bucky up the ladder, because our previous biggest rivals (Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, etc.) are no longer on the schedule.

I think right now, the rivalry order is

1. UW
2. Georgetown
3. Nova
4. Xavier
5. Butler
6. Creighton
7. DePaul

This can and will change. Expect Xavier, Butler and Creighton to move up as we now play them regularly. Georgetown or Nova could become our biggest rival. If DePaul ever gets better they will quickly move up as well.

I don't think UW will be our biggest rival but right now I think they are because of the tradition and the fact we are still playing them every year. I really wish we could get a home-and-home deal done with ND. Just for the sake of the rivalry. Louisville would be nice too but I don't see that happening.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
The ones I hated most were Notre Dame, followed by Notre Dame, Notre Dame and then, um, Notre Dame.

Gotta keep an annual game against Notre Dame.

I heard from an extremely reliable source that the AD at Notre Dame is all for an annual game, but Mike Brey doesn't want it.  Kitten.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
I heard from an extremely reliable source that the AD at Notre Dame is all for an annual game, but Mike Brey doesn't want it.  Kitten.

I heard substantially the same thing, except only that "one person" is standing in the way.  Had no clue who that person was, although I was thinking it could even be someone on MU's side slowing things down (considering the non-con schedule already lined up for next year, ND falls closer to a luxury than a necessity as far as SOS).

It never occurred to me that Brey was the one who might be holding things up... of everyone at either school, Brey would have been at the top of the list of those who I think would champion the idea.  "Kitten" is an understatement, even as a euphemism, if that's the case.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
I think Butler will move up on the list over the upcoming years.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
I heard substantially the same thing, except only that "one person" is standing in the way.  Had no clue who that person was, although I was thinking it could even be someone on MU's side slowing things down (considering the non-con schedule already lined up for next year, ND falls closer to a luxury than a necessity as far as SOS).

It never occurred to me that Brey was the one who might be holding things up... of everyone at either school, Brey would have been at the top of the list of those who I think would champion the idea.  "Kitten" is an understatement, even as a euphemism, if that's the case.

Oh, it's a euphemism, all right.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
Unfortunately I think this moves Bucky up the ladder, because our previous biggest rivals (Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, etc.) are no longer on the schedule.

1. UW
2. Georgetown
3. Nova
4. Xavier
5. Butler
6. Creighton
7. DePaul

This can and will change. Expect Xavier, Butler and Creighton to move up as we now play them regularly. Georgetown or Nova could become our biggest rival. If DePaul ever gets better they will quickly move up as well.

I don't think UW will be our biggest rival but right now I think they are because of the tradition and the fact we are still playing them every year. I really wish we could get a home-and-home deal done with ND. Just for the sake of the rivalry. Louisville would be nice too but I don't see that happening.

Bucky was definitely above Ville and Pitt before.  Maybe doesn't have the insane buzzer beating history of Ville's series but definitely is a bigger rivalry. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
Bucky was definitely above Ville and Pitt before.  Maybe doesn't have the insane buzzer beating history of Ville's series but definitely is a bigger rivalry. 

Maybe Pitt, Ville I'd disagree. Unfortunately, its a moot point now.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 04:43:17 PM »

I agree with Louisville.  Over the last 10 years we have had some very close games with them.  Which will ultimately determine the biggest rival over the next 10 years as well.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »

1. UW
2. Georgetown
3. Nova
4. Xavier
5. Butler
6. Creighton
7. DePaul

Jim Boeheim made the observation recently that rivalries can thrive only within the context of a conference. He noted that SU's most intense rivalry was its decades-long engagement with St Bonaventure. As soon as SU joined the Big East they dropped their 60 year series with the Bonnies faster than Paris Hilton drops her panties. If you asked anyone at SU about rivalry it was GU then SJU. Boeheim predicts that their new rivalries will be defined by participation in the ACC. Frankly, I think he is correct.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »

Bigger win= Louisville but the one that matters most to fans is Bucky.  I mean if we have a losing season and beat Bucky and Notre Dame (and DePaul cause that'd just add salt to the wound) I'd still find that as a positive whereas if we just beat Louisville as a random big win it'd just be a bad loss for Louisville. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »
Jim Boeheim made the observation recently that rivalries can thrive only within the context of a conference. He noted that SU's most intense rivalry was its decades-long engagement with St Bonaventure. As soon as SU joined the Big East they dropped their 60 year series with the Bonnies faster than Paris Hilton drops her panties. If you asked anyone at SU about rivalry it was GU then SJU. Boeheim predicts that their new rivalries will be defined by participation in the ACC. Frankly, I think he is correct.

I'd agree with the qualification that its not so much being in the same conference as consistently playing each other every year, which is how Bucky is still a rival. If we can keep a home and home with ND, they will remain a rival.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
Beat everyone.  All the time.  Then you are a rival to all.

Let us be the C-USA Cincinnati of the BEAST (without the thugs and zero graduation rate)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
+1

Beat everyone.  All the time.  Then you are a rival to all.

Let us be the C-USA Cincinnati of the BEAST (without the thugs and zero graduation rate)

feedback