Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Why Juan Anderson's move to SG will help  (Read 6278 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Why Juan Anderson's move to SG will help
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
Yep.  Well done.  But I don't think I would call it "a shock."  It makes perfect sense.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
Juan could be useful backing up Jamil at the 3.    

Hoping against hope that JJJ can play a lot at the 2. Mayo's erratic game doesn't inspire confidence and Juan will have to dramatically improve his woeful shooting #s to help out at the 2.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:35:03 PM by Boone »

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I think he could be great at the 2, he can break out on defense for fast breaks without being as responsible for the defensive glass.  A guy that long and athletic will be hard to cover in the open floor and could be on the receiving end for some outlet dunks. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »
What amazes me is that these stats actually exist. I also wonder how accurate they are. Juan often times would go flying in to try and block a shot by a player who was not necessarily his man to cover. Who gets charged with giving up the basket, if Juan's block attempt was not successful. Otule who lost his man or Juan who was closest because he came in trying to block the shot?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:09:22 PM by bilsu »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
I'm very optimistic that the move to SG will be wonderful for Juan.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
Juan will not be able to guard quick 2's...Bryce Cotton would eat him alive. Juan IMO plays matador defense and even though his size might help against some guards it is not a great move. He also is not a very good shooter nor a great ball handler. Todd better step up and take these minutes because Todd at 6-4 with his shooting ability and the defense he showed he could play his freshman year is a FAR better option than Juan. I wish Juan had just transferred and I dont understand the excitement at his decision to stay. Give me Jamail Jones staying over Juan any day of the week.

I hope JJJ, Todd, and possibly Duane take all these minutes because Juan is not a 2 guard....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »
Juan won't be playing a 2 guard...or the position that Vander played last year and Todd will likely play this year.

Remember this is basically a three guard offense.  He will likely be playing Lockett's position from last year.  He would likely be guarding a "3-type" player.

This is opposed to playing the "4" position last year...and guarding those types.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
Juan won't be playing a 2 guard...or the position that Vander played last year and Todd will likely play this year.

Remember this is basically a three guard offense.  He will likely be playing Lockett's position from last year.  He would likely be guarding a "3-type" player.

This is opposed to playing the "4" position last year...and guarding those types.

Alright well my argument is void now because Juan is definitely quicker than Trent. I will miss Trent though.

I just assumed that the article saying SG meant 2 guard, but I see your point

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »
Alright well my argument is void now because Juan is definitely quicker than Trent. I will miss Trent though.

I just assumed that the article saying SG meant 2 guard, but I see your point

Mark Miller's tweet said "backcourt."  PT called it "shooting guard," but I don't think that is an accurate description.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
I would agree that Juan will be more of a SF/3 guy ala Trent in Buzz's "3 guard" setup festuring his switchables.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
This is predicated on allowing Steve Taylor to start at the 4...
The three guards/switchables will be J Wilson Plus 2...MU will have on of the "tallest" starting 5 next year...but also the ability to go also small and fast.

PG Wilson  (you chose which one)
2G "A" JA (Mayo and JJJ)
2G "B"/ SF Jamil Wilson   (burton)
PF Steve Taylor   (McKay Reserve)
C Chris Otule    (Gardner Reserve  6-man of the year)

Small speed team
PG Du Wilson
SG "A" Mayo
SG "B" JJJ/Burton
PF Wilson
c McKay

You see this last line up when with a full court zone press with McKay at the top...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
This is predicated on allowing Steve Taylor to start at the 4...
The three guards/switchables will be J Wilson Plus 2...MU will have on of the "tallest" starting 5 next year...but also the ability to go also small and fast.

PG Wilson  (you chose which one)
2G "A" JA (Mayo and JJJ)
2G "B"/ SF Jamil Wilson   (burton)
PF Steve Taylor   (McKay Reserve)
C Chris Otule    (Gardner Reserve  6-man of the year)

I think it is much more likely that Juan is at the 2G "B" and Wilson the PF....at least to start the year.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
I think Todd Mayo (of returning players) is the second most TALENTED player on the team. His talent is unfortunately overshadowed by some other issues but I still think Todd could be a great player. Todd (if he takes care of his issues which is a big if) should be able to be the started at the 2. He is a great option at the 2 and someone who can shoot the 3 although last year he didn't really show it. Jamil is the star of this team with Gardner a close second. Otule is what he is by now, Steve has great potential, and the rest is really unproven/unknown. We should have a great team. I just don't see Juan ever being a very good player. 8/4 guy is what I see him capable of.

JD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
Juan should be on the bench.  Maybe he can take some of Taylor's minutes in the begining, but i expect Juan as another Fulce 2.0. 
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
I think Todd Mayo (of returning players) is the second most TALENTED player on the team. His talent is unfortunately overshadowed by some other issues but I still think Todd could be a great player. Todd (if he takes care of his issues which is a big if) should be able to be the started at the 2. He is a great option at the 2 and someone who can shoot the 3 although last year he didn't really show it. Jamil is the star of this team with Gardner a close second. Otule is what he is by now, Steve has great potential, and the rest is really unproven/unknown. We should have a great team. I just don't see Juan ever being a very good player. 8/4 guy is what I see him capable of.
I actually could see Otule taking a big step up next year. He was a totally different player at the end of the season vs the start of the season when he was clearly hampered by his knee. I would not be surprised at all to see him average 10 or more points a game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
I suspect Mayo will be very motivated next season with Vander moving on...I also expect to see him play PG some, ala Buycks.  Don't jump on me for being a heretic.  ;D

Juan can be a Vander/Trent type guard...and his shot will only get better with a healthy summer. His form and touch are almost there, after being shut down for so long. Has hops and can dribble drive, dish.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:26 AM »
I suspect Mayo will be very motivated next season with Vander moving on...I also expect to see him play PG some, ala Buycks.  Don't jump on me for being a heretic.  ;D

Juan can be a Vander/Trent type guard...and his shot will only get better with a healthy summer. His form and touch are almost there, after being shut down for so long. Has hops and can dribble drive, dish.

Mayo could definitely be a major factor this year.  Last year he was behind the 8 ball from day 1 and was relegated to giving Vander breaks.  He has a tremendous opportunity to prove himself this year and I hope he capitalizes.  If not, then I hope JJJ steps up.

No one is saying that Juan coming back is going to change the world.  But we are better with him than without him.  Barring an injury he will play a limited role but has proven that he can hit the occasional jumper, rebound, distribute and can play a role in almost any personnel grouping.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
Mayo could definitely be a major factor this year.  Last year he was behind the 8 ball from day 1 and was relegated to giving Vander breaks.  He has a tremendous opportunity to prove himself this year and I hope he capitalizes.  If not, then I hope JJJ steps up.

No one is saying that Juan coming back is going to change the world.  But we are better with him than without him.  Barring an injury he will play a limited role but has proven that he can hit the occasional jumper, rebound, distribute and can play a role in almost any personnel grouping.

I think having Juan off the bench is great news, but if Buzz starts him like last year I will not be very happy about that. Jamil needs to be on the floor as long as he can.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »
I think having Juan off the bench is great news, but if Buzz starts him like last year I will not be very happy about that. Jamil needs to be on the floor as long as he can.

They both can start.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
I suspect Mayo will be very motivated next season with Vander moving on...

I think Mayo has been through the fire.  He will be on campus all summer and hopefully retain eligibility in the fall.  I really do think he is going to take a leap to the next level.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »

I think Mayo has been through the fire.  He will be on campus all summer and hopefully retain eligibility in the fall.  I really do think he is going to take a leap to the next level.
I am not sure what of make of it, but I find it interesting that after Blue declares Buzz goes out and talks both Thomas and Juan to come back to play the two. They obviously believe they are going to get enough minutes or they would not come back. Now of course believing that and actually can be two different things. However, one can look at this and think that Buzz is in panic mode concerning the two spot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »
I am not sure what of make of it, but I find it interesting that after Blue declares Buzz goes out and talks both Thomas and Juan to come back to play the two. They obviously believe they are going to get enough minutes or they would not come back. Now of course believing that and actually can be two different things. However, one can look at this and think that Buzz is in panic mode concerning the two spot.

Couple things.

I'm not sure Jake was promised anything by way of minutes, but he was given a scholarship.  So maybe it was simply that he was willing to stay as long as he was put on scholarship.

But in the case of Juan, my understanding is that Buzz did not talk Juan into staying, but that the circumstances around his decision to transfer changed, and approached Buzz about returning.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »

Couple things.

I'm not sure Jake was promised anything by way of minutes, but he was given a scholarship.  So maybe it was simply that he was willing to stay as long as he was put on scholarship.

But in the case of Juan, my understanding is that Buzz did not talk Juan into staying, but that the circumstances around his decision to transfer changed, and approached Buzz about returning.
That is problably true, but playing time is important to players and it easy to see that they do not expect Mayo to play the same number of minutes as Blue.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »
I am sure if Buzz had another player in mind for Juans scholarship, then Juan would be going elsewhere.  It is not like he is not replaceable, it is hard to play 13 players much less 9 or
10 so there will be some unhappy faces at the end of the bench.  It could be Thomas, Dawson, Burton and Anderson.  And those 4 all can play some.  Practice next year will be tough, all
those kids want to play.  Anderson might have a better chance, even beating out, Mayo for PT time.  Summer will very important, competition will make them all better.