Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Why Juan Anderson's move to SG will help  (Read 6279 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Why Juan Anderson's move to SG will help
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
I wonder if the battle for minutes will come down to Juan vs. Mayo?  Even Buzz understands that you don't bring in Top 30 kids (JJJ) and not let them see the court.  I personally believe that all of the Big 3 Frosh will get respectable minutes.  That said, Terror could be correct in his belief that Wilson stays at the 4 thereby freeing up minutes at the SG 'B' (Lockett position) for Juan to partially fill.

If I were coach (you guys are darn lucky I'm not), I'd spend the summer/early fall trying to find my very best 2-3-4 combination knowing full well what Plan A is for the #5 and our exciting low post possibilities.  Where's Jamil best in his new role as 'alpha dog' and how do I most effectively build the other two positions to support that in all aspects of the game?  Do I need two versions depending on my competition on a given day?  #freestevetaylor? #mckayisjae?  #playjuan?

Anyway, this is more fun than thinking about the Brewers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
What is great about Buzz's system is that you can really do what ever you want depending on who is hot and who you are playing.

You could have a line up of one of the D. Wilsons, JJJ, Mayo, Jamil and McKay.  Small, but quick with multiple shooters.

Or D. Wilson, Mayo, Jamil, Taylor and Otule.  Nice and big.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
Itll be interesting to see next year with lineups, we can be a VERY fast team next year...especially if Otule continues to improve on his quickness, as he has come a long way. JA is pretty quick for his size and I think Taylor has good speed for the times he will play a post position.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
What is great about Buzz's system is that you can really do what ever you want depending on who is hot and who you are playing.

The possibilities next year are numerous.  I love the strides Otule made late last year.  However, our guard play will ultimately determine how good this team is with Mayo and Juan being the X-factors.  I'm not concerned with the PG position.  I feel we have enough offense without either Wilson scoring. 

Defending the 2 is a key in determining how good this team will be.  All of our 2's, with Juan switching positions, Mayo being a defensive liability and JJJ being a freshman will need to improve their defense.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »
They both can start.

I dont think Juan is worth starting. Just my honest opinion. I would love to be surprised by him but as it stands I just don't think he is very good. Think back to the 2009 class, Jeronne and Reggie got pretty solid minutes Jeronne was set to start throughout the year. This is our best class since then and is most likely better than that class. I see Duane and either Deonte or JJJ as competing/starting from day 1 just like Van and Jeronne did. The top recruits Buzz has had are Jeronne and Blue and both got that opportunity. I like being able to argue about solid players getting minutes rather than worrying about not having depth.

First time we have had this problem in a bit hahah

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
I dont think Juan is worth starting. Just my honest opinion. I would love to be surprised by him but as it stands I just don't think he is very good. Think back to the 2009 class, Jeronne and Reggie got pretty solid minutes Jeronne was set to start throughout the year. This is our best class since then and is most likely better than that class.

Jeronne was in the '09 class, didn't start a game, and only played about 16 mpg.

Reggie was in the '10 class, started 5 of 8 games, but only played about 10 mpg.

This incoming class is by far the best, but again, projecting big things from freshmen is real risky IMO.  You simply don't know how they are going to catch onto the defense, how they will handle the speed, etc.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »

You could have a line up of one of the D. Wilsons, JJJ, Mayo, Jamil and McKay.  Small, but quick with multiple shooters.

Or D. Wilson, Mayo, Jamil, Taylor and Otule.  Nice and big.
Replacing Mayo with Burton would be my big team.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »

Jeronne was in the '09 class, didn't start a game, and only played about 16 mpg.

Reggie was in the '10 class, started 5 of 8 games, but only played about 10 mpg.

This incoming class is by far the best, but again, projecting big things from freshmen is real risky IMO.  You simply don't know how they are going to catch onto the defense, how they will handle the speed, etc.

I always get those classes mixed up my bad lol. I cant believe we only had 1 of those guys stay....

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
Replacing Mayo with Burton would be my big team.

+1

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
I heard from a couple sources that Todd's attitude and demeanor really changed once the season ended and Blue declared. Maybe he sees this as an opportunity to "re-create" himself with the young guys and get more in line with the team concept and Buzz's vision. With less ego and more focus, I think Todd could be a difference maker. Time will tell. Just from a simple "eye test" I can't see Juan as the 2. I rewatched the youtube clips of JJJ the other day — he is a long and deadly 2. I think we are in for quite a treat.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 07:52:42 AM »
I heard from a couple sources that Todd's attitude and demeanor really changed once the season ended and Blue declared. Maybe he sees this as an opportunity to "re-create" himself with the young guys and get more in line with the team concept and Buzz's vision. With less ego and more focus, I think Todd could be a difference maker. Time will tell. Just from a simple "eye test" I can't see Juan as the 2. I rewatched the youtube clips of JJJ the other day — he is a long and deadly 2. I think we are in for quite a treat.

I feel the same way about JJJ. Even from highlights you can see this is the best recruit Buzz has gotten. Duane appears to be very good as well. I think 2 freshman could get a good amount of minutes

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »

Again...no one said Juan was going to play "the 2."  They said he was going to transition to "the backcourt." 

That likely means the position Lockett played last year...not the position that Vander played last year, DJO the year before, and Mayo likely this year.  This is opposed to the power forward type position Juan started in last year.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
Why Juan Anderson's move to SG will help

Couldn't hurt.

A) he has shown range from beyond the 3-point arc

He Has?