collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Own a piece of "The 'Lanche"  (Read 30810 times)

77fan88warrior

• All American
Own a piece of "The 'Lanche"
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »

Own a piece of the Avalanche

The Avalanche was a cherished hangout for generations of Marquette students.
The faithful have deep affection for the memories of friends and fun at the
"The 'Lanche" – memories not lost, but perhaps a little faded over time.

The 'Lanche stood on Wells Street between 15th and 16th Streets, and was closed and razed in 1994 as part of Campus Circle, the urban renewal program that shaped today’s campus. The site is now Campus Town East, home to students making their own Marquette memories.

Alumni can now own a piece of the 'Lanche, with the availability of a small cache of bricks and glass blocks from the actual building. Saved during demolition, these keepsakes will now be turned into more than $100,000 in support of Bridge to the Future scholarship funds for current Marquette students. Supply is limited, so when they are gone, they are gone!

ABOUT THE BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE FUND
The Bridge to the Future Scholarship Fund provides financial aid assistance for students whose family's changing economic circumstances threaten their ability to continue their Marquette education.

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Own a piece of "The 'Lanche"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
For $1000 I'm sure I could've bought the whole damn Avalanche sign if I would have gotten to them when they were rippin' it down.  Now $1000 only gets you a single glass block...    :(
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
They knew that when they demolished the building, they knew they were screwing a holy place, so they held on to some trinkets to sell later.

Bastards!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
The 'Lanche stood on Wells Street between 15th and 16th Streets, and was closed and razed in 1994 as part of Campus Circle, the urban renewal program that shaped today’s campus. The site is now Campus Town East, home to students making their own Marquette memories.

Alumni can now own a piece of the 'Lanche, with the availability of a small cache of bricks and glass blocks from the actual building. Saved during demolition, these keepsakes will now be turned into more than $100,000 in support of Bridge to the Future scholarship funds for current Marquette students. Supply is limited, so when they are gone, they are gone!

Uhh, the Lanche wasn't closed & torn down in 1994. Maybe they have bricks from another building... or are just making crap up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:21:40 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
Uhh, the Lanche wasn't closed & torn down in 1994. Maybe they have bricks from another building... or are just making crap up.

right ... it closed in April, 1997

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2006/04/rip-remembering-avalanche-bar.html

and

http://onmilwaukee.com/bars/articles/closedbars.html

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »
I loved the Avalanche Super Bar, but $1000 for one of those glass bricks is borderline offensive. It's junk! It's not like something useful, like a seat from County Stadium or Comiskey Park. I mean, seriously? Do they thinking somebody's going to pay for that? I'd love to see the old jukebox or, heaven help us, the actual bar...but a brick or an old piece of glass? Pass!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
I'm sure I didn't spend $1,000 in four years of drinking at the 'Lanche

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »

That brick is way too clean to be from the Lanche.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
I loved the Avalanche Super Bar, but $1000 for one of those glass bricks is borderline offensive. It's junk! It's not like something useful, like a seat from County Stadium or Comiskey Park. I mean, seriously? Do they thinking somebody's going to pay for that? I'd love to see the old jukebox or, heaven help us, the actual bar...but a brick or an old piece of glass? Pass!

If you don't want it, don't buy it.  If they think that other people will, so much better for the scholarship fund.
Have some patience, FFS.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
I'd love to see the old jukebox or, heaven help us, the actual bar...but a brick or an old piece of glass? Pass!

- ice from the urinal?
- a bottle of red white and blue?
- daytime bartender Archie's baseball bat?

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »
- ice from the urinal?

Ahhhhhhh...now I get it.  Nice.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
- ice from the urinal?

Archie used to have a ridiculous shillelagh topped with a brass eagle. If someone got out of line he would start swinging that thing. Now that would be worth a G.

Death on call

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »
Archie used to have a ridiculous shillelagh topped with a brass eagle. If someone got out of line he would start swinging that thing. Now that would be worth a G.

I remember that also, but when one of the daytime locals got seriously out of line, it was the baseball bat that hit the bar top.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »

I aslo have a vague recollection of Archie telling me who gave him that, but have vivid recollection of the whap of the bat hitting the bar next to a troublemaker.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
I aslo have a vague recollection of Archie telling me who gave him that, but have vivid recollection of the whap of the bat hitting the bar next to a troublemaker.

I remember one time he cracked the bat on the bar right next to Mary. She casually picked up her shot, slammed it, and told Arch through a toothless mouth he owed her another.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:41:42 AM by keefe »

Death on call

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
In 1996, there was a torn ad from The Onion on the post in the center of the bar. The headline read, "Look Better Naked." 

I'd pay $500 for that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
In 1996, there was a torn ad from The Onion on the post in the center of the bar. The headline read, "Look Better Naked." 

I'd pay $500 for that.

I recall living in Asia and seeing a bit on the BBC about Naked Coed sliding at Marquette. Of course, the venue was the 'Lanche. I suggested to my wife we give it a go next time back to MU but she didn't seem too terribly interested in pursuing the opportunity. Mores the pity, really.

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:45 AM »
If you don't want it, don't buy it.  If they think that other people will, so much better for the scholarship fund.
If they want money for the scholarship fund, the glass should be about 1/10th of what they're charging. The bricks should be about $50

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »
$1000?  I received the e-mail yesterday and said I need to buy one of those bricks.  I was going to investigate today.  I can say with certainty that it's not going to happen at $1000.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
The bricks are for a $250 donation; the glass blocks are $1000.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »
I wonder what part of the building the bricks came from.

I am not sure I would want one of them in my home if it came from a spot that was below waist level, if you know what I'm sayin'.  I doubt that building was power-washed before it was torn down.
Have some patience, FFS.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »
I still have my Avalanche mug.  I'll sell that to the group for $250!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
My brother used to own the Lanche and my brother-in-law managed the joint. This was circa 1975-80, not sure of the exact dates as I was all over the country during that time. My daughter has a sweet green and gold Avalanche basketball warm up suit from their intramural championship team - compliments of my brother when she "verballed" to Marquette. I'd say start the bidding at $1000 but she probably wouldn't part with it for any price.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
My brother used to own the Lanche and my brother-in-law managed the joint. This was circa 1975-80, not sure of the exact dates as I was all over the country during that time. My daughter has a sweet green and gold Avalanche basketball warm up suit from their intramural championship team - compliments of my brother when she "verballed" to Marquette. I'd say start the bidding at $1000 but she probably wouldn't part with it for any price.

Lenny, just curious, with your close family ties to the Lanche, why the choice in monikers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »
Lenny, just curious, with your close family ties to the Lanche, why the choice in monikers.

I was five or six years out of college when my brother and a partner bought the Lanche. While at school I was no stranger to its charms, but my dive bar of choice was always Lenny's - initially for convenience as it was a very short walk/stagger from my first apartment but later because the owner (the great Leonard Bernstein) became a sort of mentor to me. I could go on and on about the joint, but that's it in a nutshell.