[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Dick Trickle....RIP  (Read 11869 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Dick Trickle....RIP
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 04:33:20 PM »
From his wiki article

Eight-year-old Dick Trickle was playing tag with his cousin Verlon on the rafters in a house under construction when he fell two floors to the basement and broke his hip.[5] He was transferred from a local hospital to the University of Wisconsin Hospital with slow recovery.[5] His recovery was so slow that the doctors gave up and sent him home presuming that he would be an invalid for the rest of his life.[5] Trickle later began to walk, although he walked with a slight limp for the rest of his life.[6] He spent three years in a cast from his waist to his foot

guess the UW Doctors were a bit offbase back in the day

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
A sad day.  I frequented many Busch series races in Dick's later years; when Schneider National was his sponsor.  He always made it really special for us to be there - great father/son memories for me.  Prayers go out to his family.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
NASCAR Rookie of the Year in 1989...at the age of 48.  Deadspin has video of him lighting up a cigarette during a caution....while driving the car.

This is exactly why NASCAR sucks now.  No 48 year old who smokes in the car would ever be Rookie of the Year.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9283240/retired-driver-dick-trickle-dead-apparent-self-inflicted-gun-shot-wound

Chico, given that you work in media do you consider NASCAR a sport? Strip away the business dimensions and focus on the athletics. Personally, I have always thought NASCAR an odd way to spend a day.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »
Chico, given that you work in media do you consider NASCAR a sport? Strip away the business dimensions and focus on the athletics. Personally, I have always thought NASCAR an odd way to spend a day.

Yes, we categorize it as a sport.  Whether or not they are athletes is up for conjecture, but some certainly are.  I took a spin for 10 laps about 10 years ago where I was allowed to drive the car at just under 150mph.  It's exhausting after awhile, especially the mental strain of making sure you aren't going to hit a wall.  Can't imagine with 42 other cars out there.

We consider golf, bowling, archery, anything like that a sport...again, are they athletes?  Tiger is, but was Craig Stadler?  John Daly?  All debatable.  Skilled to the hilt, but does that make them athletic?  I don't know....I'm sure opinions range on all of it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »
Yes, we categorize it as a sport.  Whether or not they are athletes is up for conjecture, but some certainly are.  I took a spin for 10 laps about 10 years ago where I was allowed to drive the car at just under 150mph.  It's exhausting after awhile, especially the mental strain of making sure you aren't going to hit a wall.  Can't imagine with 42 other cars out there.

We consider golf, bowling, archery, anything like that a sport...again, are they athletes?  Tiger is, but was Craig Stadler?  John Daly?  All debatable.  Skilled to the hilt, but does that make them athletic?  I don't know....I'm sure opinions range on all of it.

I have subscribed to the Sporting News for more than 30 years. Over time I watched the "Baseball Bible" become less baseball and more of a potpourri. While I welcomed increased coverage of football and hoops I was dismayed at the inclusion then expansion in coverage for NASCAR. Personally, I would rather cheer for Wisconsin than have anything to do with NASCAR. It just seems so insipid.

I have been to auto racing but that has been Formula I. Asia and Perhaps it is more the ambiance than the racing but F1 events in Europe and Asia seem more Dom Perignon to NASCAR's PBR.

If it were a choice between a weekend of F1 or a golf outing, blue water sailing, or a sex-drenched holiday at the Banyan Tree I know F1 would be a distant 4th place.   

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »
One of the 5 greatest names in sports history.

Hell, maybe the greatest.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »

Very well put

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:47:38 AM »
One of the 5 greatest names in sports history.

Hell, maybe the greatest.

I'm not sure about that. Dick Trickle has some stiff competition

Dick Pole, Portland Beavers

Misty Hymen

Johnny Dickshot

Rusty Kuntz

Woody Held

Pete LaCock

Dean Windass

Fabian Assmann

But the best of all time....

Vander Blue

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:56:29 AM by keefe »

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »
A fun fact about Dick Trickle:

He used to wear Allen Edmonds shoes while racing.  Go Wisconsin!

As far as NASCAR goes, I would normally rather watch paint dry than watch it on TV.  jsglow is a much bigger fan (he has followed Dick Trickle since his short-track days at Hales Corners).  When he watches a NASCAR race from the DVR, he gets mad at me if I ask if we can fast forward until we see smoke and flying debris.

However, if you are into people-watching, however, you cannot beat a live NASCAR event for some amazing entertainment.
Have some patience, FFS.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »
A fun fact about Dick Trickle:

He used to wear Allen Edmonds shoes while racing.  Go Wisconsin!

As far as NASCAR goes, I would normally rather watch paint dry than watch it on TV.  jsglow is a much bigger fan (he has followed Dick Trickle since his short-track days at Hales Corners).  When he watches a NASCAR race from the DVR, he gets mad at me if I ask if we can fast forward until we see smoke and flying debris.

However, if you are into people-watching, however, you cannot beat a live NASCAR event for some amazing entertainment.

It was Dave Marcis who wore wingtips while racing, not Dick. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
I wonder if the prostate did in dick trickle?  Hey-o

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
I remember back in the day, when Sportscenter anchors would always mention where Dick Trickle finished in every race.

"Dale Earnhardt beat out Rusty Wallace at the finish in Talladega, and Dick Trickle finished 23rd"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
Just to confirm, it was Wausau's Dave Marcis that wore AEs as his driving shoes.

Dick was famous for racing not less than 6 nights per week on the short tracks of central Wisconsin.  Back in the day, one could earn a living by running tracks including La Crosse Fairgrounds, Dells Raceway Park, Madison International Speedway, State Park Speedway in Wausau, in addition to several minor tracks scattered in the area.

I know that it is difficult to believe but racing in the upper midwest was nearly as successful as NASCAR back in the 1970s.  Dick, known as the 'White Knight' in his SuperAmerica sponsored car, Tommy Refner 'Blue Knight' and Johnny Boegeman 'Black Knight' barnstormed the state drawing huge crowds whenever they appeared together on the entry list.  A little known fact is that Winston Cup champion Alan Kulwicki's father built engines back in the day for top competitors, Trickle included.  Modern champions including Rusty Wallace and Mark Martin trace their roots to learning their trade on Wisconsin's short tracks because instead of racing once per week they could build experience quickly by running the circuit.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »
An OT: NASCAR thread is what got PTM banned from MarquetteHoops about 6 years ago. 

Yet Dodds posted OT: Dick Trickle dead at 71 last week.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
An OT: NASCAR thread is what got PTM banned from MarquetteHoops about 6 years ago. 

Wow.

Dodds is wildly inconsistent on how he moderates his message board?  Ya don't say....

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 09:58:52 PM »
Ten years ago today.  Saw a feature on Matt Kenseth and was thinking about Dick.  RIP. 
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 10:34:34 PM »

🏎️

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 08:27:10 AM »
10 years ago?  Dang. 

This thread was started by Chicos BB, so I thought the prodigal son had come back.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 08:37:22 AM »

RIP NASCAR, for that matter...
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback