[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Are MU's Top Programs?  (Read 13795 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: What Are MU's Top Programs?
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
The biomedical engineering program was one of the first around, at least from what I could find when I was looking at college (started at MU in 1995). Even Purdue didn't have one at the time, which, for a guy from Indiana, was a huge surprise - we'd heard time and time again how great Purdue's engineering college was. I believe Purdue does have a biomed program now, and I'm sure it is just as good as the rest of its programs.

And any engineering major that doesn't try to take advantage of the co-op program is insane. It got me my first job out of college (hired before I even started my last year at MU), which helped me move to the legal field after law school (night school) almost entirely because of my history at my first employer. I can't say enough positive things about having done the co-op program. An added bonus is that you have more disposable income than your friends!

Biomedical Eng. started earlier than that at Marquette here is the link - http://www.marquette.edu/engineering/biomedical/history.shtml
Goal is National Championship

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
Biomedical Eng. started earlier than that at Marquette here is the link - http://www.marquette.edu/engineering/biomedical/history.shtml
Right after I finished my PhD at Marquette in 1987 I worked for Dr. Linehan at the Milwaukee VA in his pulmonary lab in 1987 and two Physiologists from the Medical College of Wisconsin.  Since then I've continued my graduate work in engineering at University of Minnesota, Purdue and Penn State.  Marquette prepared me well.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
Only thing I remember about the CPA exam is dashing out of the MECCA and running straight to Major Goolsby's.

MU has a bit of an advantage IMO in that they are near the (now) Big Four offices. For those who were "matched" for an internship you didn't have to move/rent some other place for a semester while working (whereas a uw-madison often would look to find an apt in Milwaukee)... this is probably an advantage for many Jesuits schools.

Not only that, but I think being located in a city helps out the College of Business tremendously.  There are many more opportunities for internships being located in a large city.  I know that was a determining factor when I chose MU.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »

And any engineering major that doesn't try to take advantage of the co-op program is insane.

I chose (not entirely my decision) the internship route.  It worked out tremendously, as I still had work experience on my resume when looking for "real" jobs and I had a year's headstart on the co-op students.

That said, any engineering major that doesn't try to get pre-graduation work experience is insane.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »
It was Tim Rueth and he was the best. One of the biggest friends of the program for many years. Has a son at MU currently.
Anyone know what he's doing now?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »
Tim has been working in his family's construction/real estare biz since leaving MU. He looks the same and possibly even funnier than 1984.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
Tim has been working in his family's construction/real estare biz since leaving MU. He looks the same and possibly even funnier than 1984.
Hard to believe he could be more funny...Really good teacher.  Reuth, Joe Fox and Dave Schlichting coulda had a career in standup.

Never knew the details, but Tim had a strong connection to hoops.  Story was, he had a big part in landing Doc.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
I chose (not entirely my decision) the internship route.  It worked out tremendously, as I still had work experience on my resume when looking for "real" jobs and I had a year's headstart on the co-op students.

That said, any engineering major that doesn't try to get pre-graduation work experience is insane.

One of the biggest things that pisses me off about the COE is the co-op program. It's a great program, but it's also overstated. Sue does so much shoving it down students throats that they are transfixed on finding co-op opportunities.

Realistically, civil firms and construction companies are looking for this type of help in the Summer, ya know, when construction is actually happening. However, when you're at the career fair offering a internship for one of the largest contractors in the State, students are interested because they are over sold on the co-op program. Also, if you intern in the Summer you still graduate in four years.

Listen jackholes, I don't need someone else to do nothing with during the Winter months.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
Rueth was very big part of MU buckets during his time at MU. He was big part of us getting many recruits over the years. Agreed on hard to believe he could be funnier, but he was. Have had opportunity to spend some time a couple of times over last year and had us laughing the whole time.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »
One of the biggest things that pisses me off about the COE is the co-op program. It's a great program, but it's also overstated. Sue did so much shoving it down students throats that they are transfixed on finding co-op opportunities.

Realistically, civil firms and construction companies are looking for this type of help in the Summer, ya know, when construction is actually happening. However, when you're at the career fair offering a internship for one of the largest contractors in the State, students are interested because they are over sold on the co-op program. Also, if you intern in the Summer you still graduate in four years.

Listen jackholes, I don't need someone else to do nothing with during the Winter months.

FIFY. The only benefits of a 5th year would have been more socializing and cheaper tickets for away/tourney games. As a Civil Grad, there's nothing different from an employers perspective between an internship and a co-op.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

chcsportsfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
FIFY. The only benefits of a 5th year would have been more socializing and cheaper tickets for away/tourney games. As a Civil Grad, there's nothing different from an employers perspective between an internship and a co-op.

I agree that there is no difference between the Co-op and an internship.  One of the nice things about a co-op from the student's perspective is an almost guaranteed position as opposed to potentially having to reapply each year.  I know interns often have an easier time returning to a company from year to year as well.  The biggest benefits for me were actually staying in college another year and the paycheck.  I was definitely not ready to leave college after four, but after five I was ready.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

Sue did? Is she gone from MU now?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
Sue did? Is she gone from MU now?
Yes she left. She retired three or four  years ago. Saw her when I took my S for accepted student visit. Told her I remembered her from '83. She told me she was retiring don't recall if it was going to be that year or the next.
Goal is National Championship

joe fox

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
Hard to believe he could be more funny...Really good teacher.  Reuth, Joe Fox and Dave Schlichting coulda had a career in standup.

Never knew the details, but Tim had a strong connection to hoops.  Story was, he had a big part in landing Doc.
Well I can tell you that Joe Fox is doing his stand-up routine in St. Louis now - and flying his Warrior flag all season long.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
Joe fox

Who has better shtick, you or Rueth?

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »
Yes she left. She retired three or four  years ago. Saw her when I took my S for accepted student visit. Told her I remembered her from '83. She told me she was retiring don't recall if it was going to be that year or the next.

Actually, if I recall it right, she retired in 2011.  I set her up with a big company to try and work them into the co-op program.  I went co-op and then to law school and could not be happier with the experience.  I am sure interning is fine as well.  I was very pleased with the program and hope they can bring the new engineering building(s) to full fruition soon (I believe the first is still unfinished and they are not breaking ground on the second until they get the first one done).  If you don't donate to the school, please do because these buildings will go a long way to helping MU reach its goals. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
Well I can tell you that Joe Fox is doing his stand-up routine in St. Louis now - and flying his Warrior flag all season long.
Joe Fox for President of SLU....as long as you're in St. Louis.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2013, 02:47:42 PM »
Per wikipedia...

College of Arts & Sciences
 For 2014, US News and World Report ranked several of the college's graduate degree programs. Biological sciences at Marquette ranked as 181st overall and the chemistry program was 140th.[39] Clinical psychology ranked 79th, psychology ranked 158th, English ranked 98th and history was 110th.[39]

College of Business Administration and the Graduate School of Management
 Overall, Marquette's undergraduate program ranked 77th in BusinessWeek's 2013 rankings.[40] U.S. News listed Marquette's undergraduate majors in supply chain management as 16th, finance as 17th, accounting as 23rd and the entrepreneurship program as 24th nationwide.[37]

U.S. News put Marquette's graduate international business program at 22nd overall in 2013 and the executive MBA program ranked 15th.[37] For 2014, the part-time MBA program was ranked 50th.[41]

College of Nursing
 In 2012, U.S. News listed the College of Nursing graduate program as the 44th best in the country, while its nursing-midwifery program was 19th nationally.[32] The College has one of only five doctorate programs in the U.S. with a "teacher/scholar" focus.[42]

College of Education
 The College of Education's graduate degree was most recently ranked 65th overall by U.S. News, up from 79th.[32][39]

College of Engineering
 The school's graduate biomedical engineering program was ranked 53rd in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report.[37]

College of Health Sciences
 The physical therapy program was ranked 12th in the nation in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report, and the physician assistant program was ranked 42nd.[37] The speech-language pathology program was ranked 62nd in the nation in 2013 as well.[32]

Law School
 The Marquette Law School ranked among the top 100 schools, according to U.S. News, with its dispute resolution program ranking 7th and its part-time law degree ranking 19th.[32] The legal writing program was 22nd overall.[37]

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
Per wikipedia...

College of Business Administration and the Graduate School of Management
 Overall, Marquette's undergraduate program ranked 77th in BusinessWeek's 2013 rankings.[40] U.S. News listed Marquette's undergraduate majors in supply chain management as 16th, finance as 17th, accounting as 23rd and the entrepreneurship program as 24th nationwide.[37]

So our College of Business is ranked 77th, but we have four programs within the COB in the Top 25?

Boy, our Marketing and Human Resources programs must suck........
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
So our College of Business is ranked 77th, but we have four programs within the COB in the Top 25?

Boy, our Marketing and Human Resources programs must suck........

+1

I was just going to make the same comment.  How can this be?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »
Given the large amount of money management that historically has occurred in Milwaukee, this makes sense.

I am not sure this is quite accurate. I have worked in international finance and Milwaukee was never a factor that I am aware. You may be referencing NML and Strong's enterprise but even then Milwaukee has very few assets under management. It is simply not a player in global finance.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:25:22 PM by keefe »

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »

I am not sure this is quite accurate. I have lived and worked in London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Singapore and we never asked how the Euro was moving in Milwaukee...

You're referring to currency trading, not money management.  And a lot of money has been managed in Milwaukee, most people simply don't realize it... primary examples are/were NML, Stark, Baird, Firstar, M&I, MGIC, etc. (I know I'm even missing a few)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
You're referring to currency trading, not money management.  And a lot of money has been managed in Milwaukee, most people simply don't realize it... primary examples are/were NML, Stark, Baird, Firstar, M&I, MGIC, etc. (I know I'm even missing a few)

I changed it after I initially posted. I ran hedging operations to manage forex risk because the Yen is so volatile but our main business was Asset Management. Milwaukee is simply not that big in terms of assets under management. Tokyo moves more assets before noon in a typical trading day than Milwaukee has total assets under management.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »
I changed it after I initially posted. I ran hedging operations to manage forex risk because the Yen is so volatile but our main business was Asset Management. Milwaukee is simply not that big in terms of assets under management. Tokyo moves more assets before noon in a typical trading day than Milwaukee has total assets under management.

I'd sure as hell hope Tokyo is moving more assets than Milwaukee.

Mayor Barrett's trolley won't move as many asses as Tokyo either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »
You down with light rail to your crib, chief?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback