Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wardle Under Abuse Investigation At UWGB  (Read 25923 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Wardle Under Abuse Investigation At UWGB
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has opened an investigation of men’s basketball coach Brian Wardle after the school received a complaint from the parents of a former player, alleging mistreatment.

University chancellor Thomas Harden told Press-Gazette Media today that an outside agency will look into the accusations made by the parents of freshman center Ryan Bross.

“We’re acting quickly,” Harden said. “We’re going to move assertively and bring this to a conclusion as fast as we can.”

Bross, a 7-foot-1 walk-on from Menomonee Falls who redshirted this past season, decided to leave the program after the season and plans to transfer to Concordia University in Mequon next season. The university did not immediately respond to an open records request asking for a copy of the letter. Harden did not discuss the specifics of the letter but said it was the genesis for investigating a claim of mistreatment of a player.

“I think that would categorize the complaint,” Harden said.

Sources familiar with the complaint said the accusation alleged verbal and emotional mistreatment by Wardle but not physical abuse.

Wardle, who will be allowed to work during the investigation, did not return messages left on his cell phone. UWGB athletics director Ken Bothof was out of town and did not respond to a voice message or an email.

Bross’ mother, Brooke, would not reveal the specifics of the letter.

“We don’t want this to be tried in the media,” she said. “We want the investigation to run its course.”

Harden said he received the letter on Tuesday evening.

“Wednesday morning I responded to them with an email saying that I consider their allegations serious, and that we would start an investigation,” Harden said. “How long will it take? We don’t really know. We intend to start it right away, but we don’t know just how long it will take. We’ll move as quickly as we can, but we’ll be thorough, too.”

Since mid-February, four players have left the UWGB program. Guard Kam Cerroni left on Feb. 14, citing “differences” with Wardle. Shortly after the season, Bross and fellow freshman Nick Arenz announced their decisions to leave. On Monday, junior guard Sultan Muhammad was granted his release. Muhammad said he wanted to transfer closer to his home in Grand Rapids, Mich., because of a family matter, although he declined to discuss the matter.

When asked whether the letter he received was an isolated incident or a sign of a larger problem, Harden said: “I think that’s what we’re going to determine with the investigation. I don’t want to make an assumption one way or the other. We don’t have widespread complaints or allegations. We have this allegation, the complaint that I got Tuesday night, which we do think we need to check out, and we’re going to do it really well.”

This comes a week after Rutgers University fired men’s basketball coach Mike Rice after video surfaced of him verbally and physically abusing players. Rice was fired on April 4 and the school’s athletic director Tim Pernetti, who initially suspended Rice for the offenses last season, was forced out.

Harden said the Rutgers incident had no bearing on his decision to investigate the men’s basketball program.

“That’s a great question, but we would take this seriously despite what’s happened someplace else,” Harden said. “We’re acting quickly. We’re going to move assertively and bring this to a conclusion as fast as we can.”

Wardle has a 47-49 record in three seasons. He is coming off his best season, going 18-16 and finishing tied for third in the Horizon League.

He has four more years remaining on his contract, which pays him a base salary of $133,132 plus another $70,000 in extra income.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Alright Fess up Sultan/Skink... you had mentioned you did not want him to coach MU. Is this why?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
Rice must have influenced him...or vice-versa?
SS Marquette

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
I wonder if after Rice got nailed if we'll see more and more of these

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
OK, so the behavior of Rice was abhorrent and in no way should any institution tolerate coaches abusing players in any way.

But what the hell is "emotional mistreatment?" Could there be a possibly more vague/nebulous accusation?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »
OK, so the behavior of Rice was abhorrent and in no way should any institution tolerate coaches abusing players in any way.

But what the hell is "emotional mistreatment?" Could there be a possibly more vague/nebulous accusation?

Clearly, Wardle raised his voice and hurt the feelings of that precious little angel...after his parents spent 18 years telling him how amazingly perfect he was. Welcome to America 2013: Home of the participation medal.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:48:48 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying coaches should treat their players like Rice did, but coach-player relationship is oftentimes adversarial and sometimes borderline hostile. In the post-Rice era do we set the coach behavior standard to choirboy?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »
Clearly, Wardle raised his voice and hurt the feelings of that precious little angel...after his parents spent 18 years telling him how amazingly perfect he was. Welcome to America 2013: Home of the participation medal.

Did you steal that post from Keefe?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »
People gonna start cashing in on Rice's mistakes. Maybe they start to imagine and think that coaches yelling at them is unacceptable and on the same level as Rice's antics... ::)

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
Political correctness knows no ends. Time to investigate the college fencing teams, golf perhaps?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
Did you steal that post from Keefe?

LOL My first thought also!

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
The school is doing the right thing especial with the atmosphere surrounding colleges sports in the past year -- Penn State, Rutgers, etc.

Coaches yell at players -- they always have.  The question is was the line crossed -- racial slurs, homophobic, demeaning or vulgar language?

The danger is jumping to conclusions and that are not fair.  Chancellor Harden did exactly what he should do.  Hats off to responding immediately to clear the air.  It is responsive to the student and parent, to Coach Wardle and short circuits those who would take cheap shots, at the student, coach or school.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »
Soccer Mom Merica strikes again

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »

So true....entitlement.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
The Mike Deane coaching tree is shrinking...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

Roger Pussification.

This used to be a great country.

Death on call

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Perhaps if someone hurt his feelings earlier and more often he wouldn't be 7'1" and only able to walk-on and had redshirt at GB and now leave for Concordia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »
Alright Fess up Sultan/Skink... you had mentioned you did not want him to coach MU. Is this why?

Yep.  And it goes deeper than just Bross.  I'm all for not jumping to conclusions, but let's make sure we simply label the player a p*ssy too.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
The strongest steel is forged in the hottest fire

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:56:20 PM by keefe »

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »
I pray to God this trend doesn't fu(k up Buzz' Boot Camp program. Seems to pay dividends every year. There's a reason all of his teams are labeled tough. These guys don't show up like that. They are forged then molded.

And I am guessing Buzz' troops hear language their mother's never used. Would hate for just one disgruntled guy to blow the whistle. The creeping Pussification of America is disturbing.

Death on call

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 07:11:09 PM »
Yep.  And it goes deeper than just Bross.  I'm all for not jumping to conclusions, but let's make sure we simply label the player a p*ssy too.

Made me think of this post (http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=37774.0) and whether the comments about McGuire calling Majerus "Whitey you're one of the [expletive] worst players I ever had on one of my teams, you ought to think about quiting" will now lead to an investigation.  I have no knowledge of the situation and having 4 players leave since February could be the sign of a serious problem or the sign of a welcomed mutiny, but certainly its enough for us all to reserve judgment.  Anyone on the boards a former assistant under Wardle or Dean that have input on what type of system he might have been brought-up in or ran?  

As an aside, if you haven't listened to the entire clip from Majerus' "I remember" you should (particularly the ending where he talks about offering to resign if his Utah St. player called an opposing player a racist term) as it will reaffirm your faith that there are terrific people in coaching.  People who we want having a hand in developing these student-athletes.  I love the lighthearted banter about Gumbel telling him his friends may call him Whitey, but he wasn't going to.  Hope more stories and videos like the "I remember" video start making the news again soon regarding coaches and sports in general.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:23:56 PM by MARQCAT »

JD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »
Agree 1000000% Keefe
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
I pray to God this trend doesn't fu(k up Buzz' Boot Camp program. Seems to pay dividends every year. There's a reason all of his teams are labeled tough. These guys don't show up like that. They are forged then molded.

And I am guessing Buzz' troops hear language their mother's never used. Would hate for just one disgruntled guy to blow the whistle. The creeping Pussification of America is disturbing.

If what I have been told is true about Wardle, then this isn't about forging the strongest steel through fire.  It's more of a Captain Queeg type scenario.

feedback