[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander to the NBA draft  (Read 70859 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Rumors of Vander leaving
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
What's with the 6'3'?  A few years ago Vander said he was close to 6'5".

MU says he is 6'4" and unless things have changed since I worked that, I deduct an inch.    ;D

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/marq-m-baskbl-mtt.html

6'4" in shoes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
I think Vander will as well, so no thanks on that bet. 

I thought you were rather bearish on Vander's NBA future. You now expect him to make the league?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
Lenny

Chico's is looking forward to seeing Vander back for senior season. He and 98% of posters think Blue will fail and end up in Europe.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
I thought you were rather bearish on Vander's NBA future. You now expect him to make the league?

In all honesty Lenny, I think a lot of times you don't read what I say or parse things.  Sorry, that's my perception.

I have said a few times here that I think Vander has a NBA future, I just don't think he's ready now because he is inconsistent on his shot and his handle.  He's not consistent enough to play the 2, and not a good enough handle to play the point.  It's all about timing....I truly believe he could be a first rounder next year, despite the stronger draft.  Coming out now, I don't know if he even gets drafted.

I'm just skeptical of him going into the league this year....next year is a different story.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »
MU says he is 6'4" and unless things have changed since I worked that, I deduct an inch.    ;D

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/marq-m-baskbl-mtt.html

6'4" in shoes.
and deduct an inch off of every other player/team as well....

i don't follow the nba much, but believe 1st round is the only guaranteed money...if i'm right on that...i'd imagine a lot of 2nd round picks are going to be cut/d-leagued pretty quickly this year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
No, they are not better prospects, but it goes to show that Vander's inconsistency, which is a weakness for him, couldn't propel him near the top of his own league in terms of personal honors.

Absolutely incorrect. Unless you are going to say it was Dion Waiters' inconsistency that kept him off the Big East First Team before getting drafted 4th overall, ahead of anyone on the first team (including NBA draft picks Jeremy Lamb, Jae Crowder, Darius Johnson-Odom, and Kris Joseph).

The two things are not related. NBA potential and draft likelihood is not based on college accolades. Often the two coincide, but at best they are a correlation. Just look at the Naismith Award winners over the past 20 years. Some were superstars (Durant, Duncan, Griffin) but more were guys that had pedestrian NBA careers if that (Smith, Battier, Redick, Martin, etc).

Vander's position on the Big East Second Team won't register for a single solitary second with any NBA scout.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
In all honesty Lenny, I think a lot of times you don't read what I say or parse things.  Sorry, that's my perception.

Sorry, but your perception is incorrect.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
I don't think it is a stretch nor unwise for Vander to declare for the draft, especially if he is hearing from people that he trusts that he will get drafted.  He plays larger than McNeal ( for those comparing the two) and larger than 6-4.    He plays above the rim, is athletic, quick and plays great defense (and hits the boards).   He is young for a junior as well.  Remember two important things....the NBA game is just plain different and what Vander lacks at the college level (consistent outside shot in a half court game) is not necessarily as relevant in the NBA AND the NBA drafts for future development after about the 12th pick.  

Think about it from Vander's perspective...from a pure basketball perspective what would he gain in his senior year at MU that would be greater than a year on an NBA roster (and bench) if his goal is to be there anyway?   Take away the distractions of school, campus life, whatever and focus on his dream while practicing against pro ballers every day.   That all assumes he lands as the last spot or so on a roster which I don't think is a stretch.   His name recognition following this tourney may never be greater in terms of awareness so why not test the waters and if it looks probable, declare?  

Selfishly I want him at MU next year but to suggest he has no chance, in my opinion, isn't accurate when you look at the NBA game.  Compare Wes and McNeal.....you knew Mathews would be more likely to get to the association on size alone....Vander has way more physical and athletic traits the NBA looks for than some of us might admit.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:40:18 PM by murobrob »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
His draft stock might never be higher.  He very well may not improve if he comes back...especially if he has to play the point and struggles.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »
Terror

Right on, my friend!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »
Buzz I'm certain is hittin' the recruitin' trail on Tuesday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
His draft stock might never be higher.  He very well may not improve if he comes back...especially if he has to play the point and struggles.

Could be...but others may think that and declare early thinking it is a weak draft, taking out competition for next year's draft.  Vander is young, played some point this year and will no doubt improve his shot even more.  With a potential Top 10 team returning, he may be better off dipping his toe, and pulling back.  A toe dip gets his personal athletic stats out there this year, building his hype with more national acclaim to follow.  

chren21

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
I hope I'm wrong but I do not see him ever holding on to a roster spot on an nba team for longer than a couple months.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
I agree with this. How can it be higher?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
Absolutely incorrect. Unless you are going to say it was Dion Waiters' inconsistency that kept him off the Big East First Team before getting drafted 4th overall, ahead of anyone on the first team (including NBA draft picks Jeremy Lamb, Jae Crowder, Darius Johnson-Odom, and Kris Joseph).

The two things are not related. NBA potential and draft likelihood is not based on college accolades. Often the two coincide, but at best they are a correlation. Just look at the Naismith Award winners over the past 20 years. Some were superstars (Durant, Duncan, Griffin) but more were guys that had pedestrian NBA careers if that (Smith, Battier, Redick, Martin, etc).

Vander's position on the Big East Second Team won't register for a single solitary second with any NBA scout.

An NBA scout will wonder how consistently he brings it.  The voters of the All Big East teams felt there were players that brought it more consistently than Vander, thus he made the 2nd team.

I agree college accolades don't mean anything about draft status, I'm talking consistency which is applicable to both.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »

According to the draft experts, it's the other way around...his prospects are better in 2014. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »
Vander wanted to be one and done, and admitted that recently. He came to MU to major in ball and received his degree in three years. Up to him to decide on how to use the next year. Really cannot believe anyone is surprised that he might go.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Vander will earn his degree in 3 years?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »
Vander will earn his degree in 3 years?

In basketball.  Goose was carrying out the metaphor.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »
Norm

Was saying he came to MU because of basketball and getting to NBA, not engineering. He might have got all he wanted out of school and ready to move on.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »
I sense that some of you are worried about the outlook of next year's team without Blue, causing you to make a case for him to stay.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
I sense that some of you are worried about the outlook of next year's team without Blue, causing you to make a case for him to stay.

Not me, if he's ready he's ready.  Not worrying about next year's team.  I guess my beliefs are consistent with the mock drafts out there, I don't see how he gets drafted THIS YEAR, but you never know.  I think next year he becomes a first rounder.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:42 PM »
I want him to return big time and hope that is the case. If not, Buzz moves on and grooms another guy for NBA.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
Not me, if he's ready he's ready.  Not worrying about next year's team.  I guess my beliefs are consistent with the mock drafts out there, I don't see how he gets drafted THIS YEAR, but you never know.  I think next year he becomes a first rounder.

Draft Express doesn't think that the not even honorable mention All Big 10 player Mitch McGary is even a second rounder. From what I see he's a lottery pick if he comes out.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »
Not me, if he's ready he's ready.  Not worrying about next year's team.  I guess my beliefs are consistent with the mock drafts out there, I don't see how he gets drafted THIS YEAR, but you never know.  I think next year he becomes a first rounder.

Next year, yes he should be a lock to be drafted and have a good chance to be a 1st rounder. Everyone keeps mentioning how Jerel never has stuck in the league, saying Blue is similar. You can compare stats and how they have similar builds, but Jerel never led us out of the 2nd round once. Vander has been a key contributor on 2 sweet 16 teams and now was the leader on an Elite 8 team and made multiple clutch shots to help us win. Scouts love guys who show up in the tourney and have the clutch gene. Something has seemed to change since Wes saw success after going undrafted. Scouts have stopped overlooking MU players. Lazar and Jimmy were both 1st rounders (both of them the 30th pick) and I was not confident about either of them being drafted. Jae has also helped raise that profile with the success he's seen even as a 2nd rounder last year. In my opinion Vander would be drafted and I'm confident he would be top 40. He may be a 2nd rounder meaning he doesn't get a guaranteed contract, but his work ethic and skills should help him stick. Maybe it does work out, maybe it doesn't and he's released after a few months. Maybe it is smarter to wait until next year. It's up to him, but I'm confident he'd be drafted.