[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander to the NBA draft  (Read 70871 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Rumors of Vander leaving
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 06:31:57 PM »
Funny that the number of posts you have dictates how credible you are. I lurk here everyday and decide to post something I've heard about. Its not a "source" it's just a friend I have in the office who has been around the office since frosh year and hears rumors now and then.

Vander has been removed from the brochures mubb sends out to prospective players. Pair that with rumors about him leaving and i figured I would post. Sorry to inconvenience you though.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, no problem.  Maybe he is discussing it with the staff and he very well should be. The outcome of the discussions should be "not this year Vander". 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Maybe they're taking him off promo materials because he's changing his number again.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
Or transferrin'?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »
Funny that the number of posts you have dictates how credible you are. I lurk here everyday and decide to post something I've heard about. Its not a "source" it's just a friend I have in the office who has been around the office since frosh year and hears rumors now and then.

Vander has been removed from the brochures mubb sends out to prospective players. Pair that with rumors about him leaving and i figured I would post. Sorry to inconvenience you though.

No, please keep posting.  Seriously.  You haven't been the first one who comes around here with info that people throw under the bus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
I would hope that the workin' folk at the Al that manage the details would not...

I give them a lot more credit than that.  A lot more.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:47:12 PM by real chili 83 »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
I lurk here everyday and decide to post something I've heard about. Its not a "source" it's just a friend

Then why did YOU refer to it as a source??

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »
Then why did YOU refer to it as a source??

Easy partner, the original post said a source, as in the source of his information. Fair statement. As he got bullied throughout the course of this thread, the word "source" got parsed into something he probably didn't mean at the outset. Sheesh.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »
Just stop it. He's not going anywhere.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if wrkn's source is right.

remember the source and first guy who broke that buzz was hired was a guy who worked at the spirit shop.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
Anyone who doesn't realize Vander would get a shot in the NBA must have gouged their eyes out with Oedipus glasses for fear that this team would be unwatchable without Jae and DJO.

Vander would get drafted this year if he declared, guaranteed
. Probably second round, but he has enough size (more than DJO or Jerel) and length, can get to the rack, and most important has shown the willingness and ability to improve his game, which means his potential is something that has been proven to be tangible, unlike many one-and-done types that declare simply because they played in the Mickey D's game.

I sincerely hope he comes back, but if he goes, I wouldn't blame him at all.

Nothing is guaranteed in life, least of all NBA players being drafted.  I would think someone that is guaranteed to be drafted would have made all Big East first team.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Just hope he doesn't waste his summer and come back improved. He should be on the gym now, working on that jay. Someone go check?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
My source says Chris Otule is not returning. It's just what I have been hearing around the office.

netty24

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
I have a gut feeling that he is gone. He came in to Marquette extremely confident in his abilities and he expected to be a one-and-done type player. I still think he is extremely confident, and rightfully so after this past season, and will declare for the draft. Couple that confidence with a weak draft class, and I think he will be leaving. I would love to have him back for one more year to see how much more he can improve, but if he does decide to leave, we have so much depth at that position that it wouldn't worry me too much.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »
Late first round or second round picks this year should be traded...

I just don't see vander sticking in the league.  We all watched jerel play and if he can barely make a squad there is no way vander does.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:51:05 PM by chren21 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
Any word on Mayo's landin' spot?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
Nothing is guaranteed in life, least of all NBA players being drafted.  I would think someone that is guaranteed to be drafted would have made all Big East first team.

College accolades don't get you drafted. Ask Scottie Reynolds. In such a woeful draft year, Vander is in an ideal situation to declare. I hope he doesn't, but he has the right frame, has proven his potential is real and not just a leftover high school evaluation, and is a sophomore in terms of age.

And seriously...the Big East first team? So you're saying Jack Cooley, Russ Smith, and Bryce Cotton are better NBA prospects than Vander?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
The reason he goes is because he can defend which he stressed from day 1 and has shown improvement in his shot which means he will probably continue to improve. The NBA coaches would rather have a ready made defender, eg. JFB. There are plenty who can score but few who play great D from the onset.  Late 1st round maybe earlier in my opinion

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
I have a gut feeling that he is gone. He came in to Marquette extremely confident in his abilities and he expected to be a one-and-done type player. I still think he is extremely confident, and rightfully so after this past season, and will declare for the draft. Couple that confidence with a weak draft class, and I think he will be leaving. I would love to have him back for one more year to see how much more he can improve, but if he does decide to leave, we have so much depth at that position that it wouldn't worry me too much.

I would throw my name in without an agent.  That way he hedges his bet.  He needs another year, so do a lot of guys (Zeller, etc).  The draft is weak, but I don't see how he is guaranteed to be drafted.  If it were held today, he would not be drafted.  We've done a few interviews with Draft Express over the years.  One of my buddies is a scout for the service and covers some of the western states areas.  They do not have him drafted at all but it's been about 2 weeks since I spoke to him.  Yes, Vander had a nice tournament but so did a lot of guys.  DE has him in top 50 prospects, but not in the mock draft partially because of needs of teams and size.  There are bigs that are taken ahead of him because 6'3" guys are plentiful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 08:00:43 PM »
College accolades don't get you drafted. Ask Scottie Reynolds. In such a woeful draft year, Vander is in an ideal situation to declare. I hope he doesn't, but he has the right frame, has proven his potential is real and not just a leftover high school evaluation, and is a sophomore in terms of age.

And seriously...the Big East first team? So you're saying Jack Cooley, Russ Smith, and Bryce Cotton are better NBA prospects than Vander?

No, they are not better prospects, but it goes to show that Vander's inconsistency, which is a weakness for him, couldn't propel him near the top of his own league in terms of personal honors.

I have no problem with him declaring, just don't sign an agent.  He has potential, they all do.  I just don't see him getting drafted, but I've lost and won a few of those bets here over the years.   ;D

I hope whatever he does, it works out well for him.  In some ways, it's unfortunate the draft is as poor as it is because there are some guys that are going to declare that aren't ready yet, but timing is everything. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
Definitely not a 1st round pick.  Might be mid to late 2nd round, or not.  His mom should tell him to get his degree.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
What's with the 6'3'?  A few years ago Vander said he was close to 6'5".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »

I hope whatever he does, it works out well for him.  In some ways, it's unfortunate the draft is as poor as it is because there are some guys that are going to declare that aren't ready yet, but timing is everything. 

Guys who aren't ready declare every year. Strong draft, weak draft, makes no difference.

I have a wager for you. I'll bet you Vander Blue plays more games in the NBA than Jerel McNeal. You can name the stakes.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
Lenny

I am with you 100%. IMO your wager is a winner.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
What's the wager?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »
Guys who aren't ready declare every year. Strong draft, weak draft, makes no difference.

I have a wager for you. I'll bet you Vander Blue plays more games in the NBA than Jerel McNeal. You can name the stakes.

I think Vander will as well, so no thanks on that bet. 

This year, more guys will declare as unready because they are trying to slot themselves in ahead of next year's draft.

feedback