Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pernetti out as Rutgers AD  (Read 9391 times)

MUCam

• All American
Re: Pernetti out as Rutgers AD
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
Fair enough Cam, but ignoring the realities and those parameters makes it a different answer.  It just does.

If Tom Izzo called someone a homophobic slur on practice tape, would he be fired?  I would guess he would not.  I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.  Is it acceptable behavior?  No.

Is cursing at a player?  I have no problem with it, while many delicate flowers do.  

So, to me, define the parameters better.  A lot went on in that video tape.  Some is unacceptable, and some is perfectly fine for me.  It's not a simple yes or no answer.

That's fair, as well. Taken as a whole, then, is the behavior acceptable? If no, then we have to discuss which parts render it unacceptable, which is what you get to in your earlier posts.

If asked why I think it is unacceptable, I would say that the totality of the circumstances make it unacceptable. That said, I would actually agree that the only one thing, standing on its own, that is intolerable is the systematic physical abuse displayed in the form of throwing basketballs. The name calling, alone, doesn't do it. The yelling, alone, of course doesn't do it. Even the harsh grabbing and "pushing" players to make a point, doesn't do it. The basketballs thrown out of anger and without any redeeming educational value, alone, are unacceptable.

Again, whether it goes on elsewhere, is a completely separate topic. Let's first determine whether it is acceptable here. Then we can discuss why it does or does not occur other places and what that means.

PS. This is perhaps my least productive Friday ever. I chose not to go to opening day, because I have to get things done. Now, I can't do any work. I should have gone to opening day and been completely unacceptable in my behavior.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »
Fair enough Cam, but ignoring the realities and those parameters makes it a different answer.  It just does.

If Tom Izzo called someone a homophobic slur on practice tape, would he be fired?  I would guess he would not.  I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.  Is it acceptable behavior?  No.

Is cursing at a player?  I have no problem with it, while many delicate flowers do. 

So, to me, define the parameters better.  A lot went on in that video tape.  Some is unacceptable, and some is perfectly fine for me.  It's not a simple yes or no answer.

Rice's firing had nothing to do with him using a homophobic slur. It had to do with him physically confronting players. That is in no way acceptable. Angrily pushing a player to get him into the right position is one thing. Screaming in a player's face and shoving him because he made a mistake is very different.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Chico's

I am fully aware that in today's world MU would have lost numerous coaches if held to new standards. My take is the guy obviously is nuts and crossed the line too often. I agree that people that would not know how to put jockstrap on make broad, public statements with no knowledge of what goes on in a locker room. My guess is Fr. Kelley has seen quite a bit over the years and some not so good. That said, he understands how a locker room works and realizes a name called in locker room is not end of the world.

I don't think Mike is nuts, but very intense.  As a few articles from his colleagues have already stated, as well as his current players, he's a good guy, awesome off the court, tried to makes these guys become men.  His tactics, not the greatest, but I think the comments by the current players were interesting to say the least.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »
Let's just require coaches take antianxiety meds so they never lose their temper. Maybe some opiates

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »
Rice's firing had nothing to do with him using a homophobic slur. It had to do with him physically confronting players. That is in no way acceptable. Angrily pushing a player to get him into the right position is one thing. Screaming in a player's face and shoving him because he made a mistake is very different.

Nothing to do with it?   I disagree, especially in today's world.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »
What homophobic term are the female basketball players subjected to in practice? Just axin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »

That's exactly what I've been saying. When does all this political correctness stop and yes Rice stepped over the line. The next time Rutgers orders Chinese it will be without rice

Maybe that Rutgers order should be Asian food, hey?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »
All this sheet would be stopped pretty quickly if some of these athletes would just haul off and cold cock some of these wet hairy cat coaches. I mean, just take it to the streets.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

Nah 4Ever, make it oriental for this thread only
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:25:08 PM by AlienWarrior »

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »
All this sheet would be stopped pretty quickly if some of these athletes would just haul off and cold cock some of these wet hairy cat coaches. I mean, just take it to the streets.

Just like Hugh McMahon ?sp. did to Al

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
Or #23
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Both ballsy moves by Hugh and 23. Hardly game changers on the court, but knew how to liven up a locker room.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
What homophobic term are the female basketball players subjected to in practice? Just axin'.

If you've ever been to a Women's Final Four, you'd think the most common homosexual term in women's basketball is "teammate."

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
If you've ever been to a Women's Final Four, you'd think the most common homosexual term in women's basketball is "teammate."

By George I've got it. Just train the male coaches to imagine that their male players are female

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
By George I've got it. Just train the male coaches to imagine that their male players are female

Probably wouldn't have stopped Rice from using the "C" word.
Have some patience, FFS.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
True but it may have refrained him from throwing his balls at them

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »

all adults.  don't like it then hit him back.  players had enough respect for mike they didn't care if he moved them around/threw sh.t at em, he was using it to get them better.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »
all adults.  don't like it then hit him back.  players had enough respect for mike they didn't care if he moved them around/threw sh.t at em, he was using it to get them better.

<---- That little chart to the left that says "Standings" begs to differ on that point.

#epicfail
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
Probably wouldn't have stopped Rice from using the "C" word.

Speaking of which, the brackets of cussing...the C word currently in the Elite 8, but has a tough matchup against the 2 seed.

http://deadspin.com/vote-you-vulgar-craps-the-curse-word-bracket-elite-ei-468253235

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
<---- That little chart to the left that says "Standings" begs to differ on that point.

#epicfail

Maybe, though I would argue they played better ball under him than his predecessors of late.  They were in a lot of games the lat few years, beat some regarded teams as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »
It's interesting different people's takes.  Two of the women that work for me, one was a former basketball player in HS, they were in my office and the Mike Rice stuff was on my TV.  She said "can you believe all this.  Society has to let men be men, this is just ridiculous.  This stuff happens all the time.  My brothers always used to scream and yell, my dad coached like this, it's nothing personal, it's just how men are"

Not everyone will agree, but I enjoyed hearing her say it and chuckled a bit inside.  My wife is the same way, another HS bball player who has 5 older brothers.  She just roles her eyes at all of this stuff. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
now we know why pharmaceutical companies are throwing testosterone at these grandpas.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
Never been to a Tom Crean practice.  Been to Knight, Deane, KO, Roy Williams, Ben Howland, etc, plus Angels baseball, Ducks hockey, a bunch of shoot around practices where things were not intense at all.  Never been to a TC practice, but from what I heard...yes, he absolutely would be included along with many coaches at this level.

You must have been at an "open door" KO practice

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
My freshman year bball coach used lots of colorful language.

One game I was at the scorers table to check in.  A kid from the other team says to me. "Your coach swears a lot for being at a catholic school."  My answer was "yeah, he's a priest too."  Kid about crapped his drawers.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »
ZFP

Those were the days. World has become soft and to politically correct. I loved the action back in the day. Makes for great stories and strong character.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:23:31 PM by Goose »

feedback