Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Do Larry and Pilarz need to be pro-active?  (Read 8197 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Do Larry and Pilarz need to be pro-active?
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
and give Buzz a raise this off season after the S16, S16, E8 run?   

Or should they just make him serve under current terms since there aren't that many attractive offers out there?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Do Larry and Pilarz need to be pro-active?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
1,000% proactive. Pay the man what he's worth. For all we know that already happened and an announcement might come soon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »
Proactive.  Keep him happy so next year he doesn't go looking.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
and give Buzz a raise this off season after the S16, S16, E8 run?   

Or should they just make him serve under current terms since there aren't that many attractive offers out there?

Hasn't Buzz received a raise every year so far?  He's already in the top 10 of pay.

So the answer is yes but what more do they need todo?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
Agree.  I think a modest raise and subsequent press conference could get the off season recruiting coaster rolling.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
1,000% proactive. Pay the man what he's worth. For all we know that already happened and an announcement might come soon.

How many coaches in the country that have never been to a Final Four (let alone won a National Championship) get paid more than Buzz Williams?  Pay the man for what he's worth?  We already do plenty of that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »
Does he get a bonus already?

Can't really add much to his salary now without completely overpaying him.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
Hasn't Buzz received a raise every year so far?  He's already in the top 10 of pay.

So the answer is yes but what more do they need todo?

False.  The top 10 pay figure includes a one-time retention bonus from the Cottingham regime.  He gets paid a little over $1mil/year in salary then last reported figures had ~$600k to Buzz Williams Inc.  Nowhere near the $2.8 mil/year figure oft incorrectly quoted in articles.

He also has not renegotiated his contract since Larry has been at the helm (although he currently has a rollover contract that includes a modest raise and a fresh 6-year contract every year automatically).  Maybe another "retention bonus" is in order?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »
How many coaches in the country that have never been to a Final Four (let alone won a National Championship) get paid more than Buzz Williams?  Pay the man for what he's worth?  We already do plenty of that.

See my reply to Another.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I think they should be proactive as well, but I don't know that that means more money necessarily to Buzz. IF the rumors are true of tension with the administration, primarily LW, than I think we aren't understanding who Buzz is if we think money will appease him and buy his presence long-term. I'm sure he appreciates the money he makes, and who wouldn't want more, but to me the more important thing would be to address whatever the issues are between Buzz and LW so Buzz feels valued and appreciated. I think those are more likely keys to making him "happy". He clearly has the support of the fans, the students and alums, but it would get old real quick if he feels the person(s) he reports to doesn't/don't support him.

I'm not advocating getting rid of LW, but if for whatever reason he can't make it work with Buzz (absent legit reasons), I truly believe it would be a lot easier to find another qualified AD than it would be to find another coach with the coaching and recruiting ability, charisma and humility that Buzz brings to the table.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:30:19 PM by StillWarriors »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »
False.  The top 10 pay figure includes a one-time retention bonus from the Cottingham regime.  He gets paid a little over $1mil/year in salary then last reported figures had ~$600k to Buzz Williams Inc.  Nowhere near the $2.8 mil/year figure oft incorrectly quoted in articles.

He also has not renegotiated his contract since Larry has been at the helm (although he currently has a rollover contract that includes a modest raise and a fresh 6-year contract every year automatically).  Maybe another "retention bonus" is in order?

Michael Hunt disputes your figures:

"Williams has a rollover contract that pays him more than $2.5 million a season, which places him among the top 10 nationally."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/why-leave-buzz-has-it-pretty-good-around-here-gq9c70g-200818391.html

The whole discussion is pointless, and points to our ongoing chicken little syndrome about Buzz.
If a coach wants to leave he'll leave, no matter how many new contracts you give him.
Just ask New Mexico.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 05:38:31 PM »
See my reply to Another.

That didn't answer any of the questions...how many coaches who have never been to a Final Four (much less won a National Championship) get paid more than Buzz Williams?  Not many, if any.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »

You sure about that?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/121830299.html    2011 contract

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/3/27/2075075/buzz-williams-marquette-basketball-coach

Yes, the $2.8 million included a bonus.  But in previous years, it sure appears his salary is more than $1M that you indicate

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »
That didn't answer any of the questions...how many coaches who have never been to a Final Four (much less won a National Championship) get paid more than Buzz Williams?  Not many, if any.

0.00 coaches if you use the $2.834 Million salary number

0.00 coaches  if you use the $2.5 Million salary number that Hunt just came out with.

If you use $2.0M, a few coaches that haven't gone to the Final Four make more than that..Matt Painter, Bo Ryan, Sean Miller

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
One way or another Buzz Williams market value will be determined.  That is a certainty.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »
Honest question:

Do Larry and/or Pilarz ultimately get to make that call?

I know they have the "authority", but isn't the coaches salary mostly funded by big time donors? They would have to ask those donors for additional funds, correct?

I don't know if MU (as an institution) has an open checkbook for Fr. Pilarz to pay Buzz whatever he wants, does it? (I could be way off base)

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »
i assume he has bonuses built in for tournament advancement etc... so a little extra dough for S16, E8, etc... i think lots of coaches have similar deals.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »
That $1.1M figure doesn't include the nearly $700k that is paid to Team Buzz Williams, LLC.

And you don't pay people based on past performance, but for future potential.  And his potential is very high and should be compensated accordingly.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
Honest question:

Do Larry and/or Pilarz ultimately get to make that call?

I know they have the "authority", but isn't the coaches salary mostly funded by big time donors? They would have to ask those donors for additional funds, correct?

I don't know if MU (as an institution) has an open checkbook for Fr. Pilarz to pay Buzz whatever he wants, does it? (I could be way off base)

What ever money they have in the athletic fund and aren't in the negatives can be used

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »
What ever money they have in the athletic fund and aren't in the negatives can be used

That's how athletic departments go in the red.  Not fiscally responsible. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
That's how athletic departments go in the red.  Not fiscally responsible. 

Like every University, there are other resources that can be drawn upon if the President and the BoT agree.  The issue is what type of revenue increases do they expect if they increase his salary, or perhaps more importantly, what revenue decreases do they expect should they refuse and he leaves for elsewhere.

Don't underestimate the importance of the latter in this equation. 

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
Agree.  I think a modest raise and subsequent press conference could get the off season recruiting coaster rolling.

Agree and if he is only getting 1.1M as mentioned above, then we need to increase that so that Enfield's promotion does not look like a better job (although I doubt it is 1.1M and suspect the 2.5M is a more accurate figure).  Buzz professes to be all about being open and honest so I would hope they simply ask him what he wants (not necessarily giving him a blank check, but having an open conversation can go a long way to keeping everyone happy).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »

Like every University, there are other resources that can be drawn upon if the President and the BoT agree.  The issue is what type of revenue increases do they expect if they increase his salary, or perhaps more importantly, what revenue decreases do they expect should they refuse and he leaves for elsewhere.

Don't underestimate the importance of the latter in this equation.  

On the flip side, what other revenue offsets do they expect if they bump his salary up?  If they take his salary up 10%, are they expecting 10% additional revenues to offset it?  Everyone ready to have their ticket prices go up again?

There are tradeoffs with everything.  I don't disagree there are other resources that can be had, but he's already top 10 in pay today. He's the only one in the top 10 that doesn't have a Final Four, meaning he is the highest paid coach in America that hasn't reached that level.  He's well compensated as it is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:53:52 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
Agree and if he is only getting 1.1M as mentioned above, then we need to increase that so that Enfield's promotion does not look like a better job (although I doubt it is 1.1M and suspect the 2.5M is a more accurate figure).  Buzz professes to be all about being open and honest so I would hope they simply ask him what he wants (not necessarily giving him a blank check, but having an open conversation can go a long way to keeping everyone happy).

He's not getting paid $1.1M as stated above, so let's just stop there.

feedback